SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   City Compilations (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=87)
-   -   SAN DIEGO | Boom Rundown, Vol. 2 (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=126473)

Derek Oct 25, 2007 3:29 AM

BOARD RECEIVES PRELIMINARY DESIGN PRESENTATION FOR THE SEVENTH & MARKET MIXED-USE PROJECT (East Village)
The Board received a preliminary design presentation and provided staff and developer direction for the Related California Urban Housing, LLC’s and CityLink Investment Corporation’s mixed-use project, Seventh & Market. The current design includes a 42-story building with a 637-space public parking garage, 330 residential units (20 percent of which will be affordable), 19,500 square feet of retail space, a 183-room hotel, and 8,600 square feet of cultural use space.

(10/18/07)

keg92101 Oct 25, 2007 4:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bushman61988 (Post 3125206)
I believe this is the property where the 8-story "Echelon" condos were suppose to go.
I definitely like this project better...it's much taller, gives the area more offices, classrooms which diversifies the area and makes it much more mixed-use.
The architecture isn't that bad...it's okay...unique kind of. Definitely reminds me of that newer Chula Vista office building on 3rd Avenue like someone said earlier.
But the most important thing is it the density & height it adds to the area.

I just wish that they could build lots more actual TOWERS instead of all these dull mid-rises in the East Village, especially that particular part of East Village.

That's why we have the new 7th & Market tower at 470 feet:D
I just wish there were more, clearer pictures, b/c I think it got approved by the CCDC and it looks like it's one of those projects that's not affected by the housing slump right now.

The 7th & Market proposal is curently evolving, one good thing though, the African American History Cultural space is set to be a non token space. The planners say that it will be on par with San Francisco's MoAD (see below)

http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w..._nc4moad_b.jpg

As for the towers, I think they will come with time, but, I'll pass on towers just to have towers. If we are going to have towers in our 'hood, I want them top notch design.

bmfarley Oct 25, 2007 5:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Derek loves SD (Post 3125089)
As I was watching the news earlier, somebody stated San Diego as being a "suburb of Los Angeles". Oh boy did I want to smack them upside the head so hard. :)

I have never actually even heard anything remotely close to the above statement. Have you guys ever heard that?

I've heard of the SD to LA region described as a megatropolis. Does that count?

Derek Oct 25, 2007 5:31 AM

No. Megatropolis is a good thing.

Think of Poway as a suburb of San Diego.

They were saying San Diego was a suburb of Los Angeles.

CoastersBolts Oct 25, 2007 6:18 AM

Megalopolis is another word that could be used to describe. The example of a Megalopolis would be the region which stretches from Washington, DC through Philadelphia, New York, Boston, and ending in southern New Hampshire. If I remember back to my Geography class in college, the San Diego, Orange County, LA/Ventura County area does not count because it is geographically "seperated" by Camp Pendleton.

Derek Oct 25, 2007 6:45 AM

sorry!

OCtoSD Oct 25, 2007 5:45 PM

Fires and Cost of Construction

Does anyone have any oppinion on the effect of the fires on the cost of construction and future development projects. With the residential market slowing down the cost of construction was going down and getting other commercial projects off the ground. Now that 1600 homes have to be built with urgency it seems that construction cost will shoot up. Even if its different types of projects the manual labor is still the same, or is it what costs a lot the specialty guys and equipment for high density? Any thoughts?

bmfarley Oct 25, 2007 6:16 PM

On a countywide scale, I don't think there's a sense of urgency to rebuild as there's adequate housing supply right now to house those affected.

If there's a sense of urgency... it would just be from those displaced. And, I think their rebuilding efforts will be spread out across 1-3 years depending on each of their motivations and financial ability. So, I think this event will have a nominal affect on the local building trade and the price to rebuild. Of course, contractors could take advantage of the situation and try and gouge consumers... taking into consideration that insurance agencies will likely cary the cost of a lot of rebuilding.

bryson662001 Oct 25, 2007 6:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Derek loves SD (Post 3125089)
As I was watching the news earlier, somebody stated San Diego as being a "suburb of Los Angeles". Oh boy did I want to smack them upside the head so hard. :)

I have never actually even heard anything remotely close to the above statement. Have you guys ever heard that?

Only an idiot (not hard to find them in the news media) would ever say such a thing.

Quote:

Originally Posted by CoastersBolts (Post 3125632)
Megalopolis is another word that could be used to describe. The example of a Megalopolis would be the region which stretches from Washington, DC through Philadelphia, New York, Boston, and ending in southern New Hampshire. If I remember back to my Geography class in college, the San Diego, Orange County, LA/Ventura County area does not count because it is geographically "seperated" by Camp Pendleton.

Actually there is quite a bit of rural land between Wilmington, DE and Baltimore.....at least as much as camp Pendleton.

SDCAL Oct 25, 2007 7:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg92101 (Post 3125433)
The 7th & Market proposal is curently evolving, one good thing though, the African American History Cultural space is set to be a non token space. The planners say that it will be on par with San Francisco's MoAD (see below)

http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w..._nc4moad_b.jpg

As for the towers, I think they will come with time, but, I'll pass on towers just to have towers. If we are going to have towers in our 'hood, I want them top notch design.

This is VERY nice!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am glad to see the African American space will actually be a large, nicely designed space instead of a pathetic "token" space. It is really important to celebrate the diversity of downtown and I really like that design - the big glass windows with the mosaic in the background will show very nicely from the street level. I am also happy to hear it will be on the same scale as SFs MoAD. I am tired of SD always being looked at as bland and small compared to SF and LA when in fact we do have alot of diversity and we are a large city in our own right.

Any renderings of the whole tower available? I am really excited to see this project get off the ground. It will be a fabulous addition in betweek Alta and the Mark, and if Cosmo Square can go up behind it we will start to see an East Village skyline taking shape ;)

SDCAL Oct 25, 2007 7:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SDCAL (Post 3126597)
This is VERY nice!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am glad to see the African American space will actually be a large, nicely designed space instead of a pathetic "token" space. It is really important to celebrate the diversity of downtown and I really like that design - the big glass windows with the mosaic in the background will show very nicely from the street level. I am also happy to hear it will be on the same scale as SFs MoAD. I am tired of SD always being looked at as bland and small compared to SF and LA when in fact we do have alot of diversity and we are a large city in our own right.

Any renderings of the whole tower available? I am really excited to see this project get off the ground. It will be a fabulous addition in betweek Alta and the Mark, and if Cosmo Square can go up behind it we will start to see an East Village skyline taking shape ;)

Oh nevermind - that rendering is of MoAD in SF. Well, I hope what they are planning in Sd looks just as nice. It looks like ccdc tried to post an updated rendering to the 7th and market project but I can't access it, it just shows up ans a red X

SDCAL Oct 25, 2007 7:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Derek loves SD (Post 3125560)
No. Megatropolis is a good thing.

Think of Poway as a suburb of San Diego.

They were saying San Diego was a suburb of Los Angeles.

People have, over the years, come up with various renditions of the urban sprawl extending down the west coast of the united states.

San Diego is never considered a suburb though, but one of the major cities that contributes to the sprawl.

SanSan (see wikipedia) is used to describe the sprawl down the coast of CA from SF to SD

San Angeles (also described in a wikipedia article) has been used in futuristic movies and books to describe one huge urban area that includes Los Angeles and San Diego

Then of course, we also have TJ to add to the mix. It's interesting to note that TJs geographic proximity to SD would make it part of our "urban metro area" if it were not in another country, raising our "metro" population from 3 to 5 million.

SDCAL Oct 25, 2007 7:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bmfarley (Post 3126404)
On a countywide scale, I don't think there's a sense of urgency to rebuild as there's adequate housing supply right now to house those affected.

If there's a sense of urgency... it would just be from those displaced. And, I think their rebuilding efforts will be spread out across 1-3 years depending on each of their motivations and financial ability. So, I think this event will have a nominal affect on the local building trade and the price to rebuild. Of course, contractors could take advantage of the situation and try and gouge consumers... taking into consideration that insurance agencies will likely cary the cost of a lot of rebuilding.

What I am wondering (and kind of hoping) is that the fires will further steer San Diego's future growth to density in the urban core as opposed to far-flung sprawl

bmfarley Oct 26, 2007 6:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SDCAL (Post 3126640)
What I am wondering (and kind of hoping) is that the fires will further steer San Diego's future growth to density in the urban core as opposed to far-flung sprawl

We can only hope... but I am in agreement.

I am not an expert on rural stuff... but it's my understanding now is that there is no County Fire Department. And, fighting fires is largely left to volunteer fire fighters. Of course, they probably get funding from the county... but county fire fighting is not fully funded as a full-time fire fighting crew.

So... I'd think that rural areas.. if they really want full-time fire fighting staff on hand... that they should fully fund that activity with a special assessment or something. The whole county should not have to bare that financial burden if they are the one choosing to live in gasoline. Right? Or, the county board of supervisors could/should create that assessemnt as a requirement before allowing peeps to rebuild, if legally possible.

The point... the greater the burden there is to build or rebuild in rural East County... the greater the desire or need there will be to densify the urban core... which is good from an urban effeciency point of view.

sandiegodweller Oct 26, 2007 2:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OCtoSD (Post 3126345)
Does anyone have any oppinion on the effect of the fires on the cost of construction and future development projects. With the residential market slowing down the cost of construction was going down and getting other commercial projects off the ground. Now that 1600 homes have to be built with urgency it seems that construction cost will shoot up. Even if its different types of projects the manual labor is still the same, or is it what costs a lot the specialty guys and equipment for high density? Any thoughts?

1. Most people won't be getting any insurance checks to rebuild for several months. They will get checks to cover displacement which will help cover rent in a new place.
2. Building plans need to be approved. In the county, expect 2-3 months.
3. 2 years ago, SD was building 14,000 homes, this year maybe 9,000 permits will be issued. 1600 additional permits over a 2-3 year span will have zero effect on prices except for maybe the demo contractors who will have plenty of work for a while.

BrandonJXN Oct 26, 2007 6:49 PM

Just rename SoCal, San Andreas.

GROVE STREET!!!

keg92101 Oct 26, 2007 10:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SDCAL (Post 3126604)
Oh nevermind - that rendering is of MoAD in SF. Well, I hope what they are planning in Sd looks just as nice. It looks like ccdc tried to post an updated rendering to the 7th and market project but I can't access it, it just shows up ans a red X

Its not a rendering but the actual MoAD. The lead planner for CCDC told me that they are requiring Related Cos (7th & Market) to provide a cultural space that is on-par with MoAD. In fact, the entire team took a trip to MoAD in order to understand what needed to be done!

mongoXZ Oct 29, 2007 12:24 AM

Satellite view of the Fires
http://signonsandiego.lamphost.net/a...1024terra2.jpg

Some Interesting Vids

Time Lapse
Harris Fire 2007(near my hood in San Diego)
Video Link

Cedar Fire (from 2003)
Video Link

Smoky San Diego Skyline 2007
Video Link

Derek Oct 29, 2007 1:36 AM

So how about them Chargers? :)

HurricaneHugo Oct 29, 2007 8:04 AM

They own.

Not good enough to go toe-to-toe with the Patriots/Colts, but we'll get there.