SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   City Compilations (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=87)
-   -   SAN DIEGO | Boom Rundown, Vol. 2 (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=126473)

Steadfast Sep 27, 2018 6:03 AM

Just noticed the McDonald's at Park & B is closed and fencing is up around the entire block.
Any news on what's planned for that spot?

The Flying Dutchman Sep 27, 2018 6:58 AM

Bosa to develop the crusty old library site on E.

http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/...926-story.html

TLDR; CivicSD/Council expected to approve in November, with construction expected around 2020-21.

Stats: 42 stories, 420', 392 rentals, ground floor commercial.
Subject to change of course (yes, the design will be prettier, folks)

The Flying Dutchman Sep 27, 2018 7:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steadfast (Post 8327671)
Just noticed the McDonald's at Park & B is closed and fencing is up around the entire block.

Slight expansion and renovation. Bums are probably pissed.

JerellO Sep 27, 2018 9:05 AM

https://www.google.com/amp/www.sandi...story,amp.html

So Whole Foods is out, ughhh good job NIMBYs! Maybe a Sprouts hopefully? Or Trader Joe’s

iReserve Sep 27, 2018 1:34 PM

Gelson's

Quote:

Originally Posted by JerellO (Post 8327701)

So Whole Foods is out, ughhh good job NIMBYs! Maybe a Sprouts hopefully? Or Trader Joe’s

Gelson's, according to Cisterra's website

Streamliner Sep 27, 2018 3:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JerellO (Post 8327555)
Anyone know why they destroyed the facade of that one movie theater on 6th and G street?? :( I loved the architecture and now it’s this modern white looking thingy. Sad.

That's going to be the new TCL Chinese Theater (a spinoff of the old Graumann's Chinese Theater in Hollywood). I'm just glad it's going to be something again after closing down.

https://sandiego.eater.com/2017/3/15...tory-landshark

Streamliner Sep 27, 2018 4:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steadfast (Post 8327671)

This is odd. Must have just happened. They are still listed on Google, Yelp, and the corporate website as open. The telephone contact number doesn't connect. I haven't heard anything about this parcel, perhaps they just went out of business?

mello Sep 27, 2018 4:53 PM

Just read the full article on the Ritz Carlton project they said they are they have to secure financing again and will break ground "in middle of next year". Let's hope this economy holds for a few more months so they can break ground. I'm worried things might get too shaky and investors could reign in lending big time.

As far as the McDonald's goes I know the lot just west of it on same block is approved for a 36 story tower but I suppose the investor has not been able to secure financing. Too bad that whole block can't get redone.

I was done at Manchester Pacific Gateway and wow that site is humming with activity. Also was at the Jacobs medical Center across from UCSD and good lord is that area booming! I think there are like 7 cranes huge amounts of earth being moved it is a construction bonanza when you also take in to account the light rail line.

Streamliner Sep 27, 2018 8:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mello (Post 8328086)
Just read the full article on the Ritz Carlton project they said they are they have to secure financing again and will break ground "in middle of next year". Let's hope this economy holds for a few more months so they can break ground. I'm worried things might get too shaky and investors could reign in lending big time.

As far as the McDonald's goes I know the lot just west of it on same block is approved for a 36 story tower but I suppose the investor has not been able to secure financing. Too bad that whole block can't get redone.

I was done at Manchester Pacific Gateway and wow that site is humming with activity. Also was at the Jacobs medical Center across from UCSD and good lord is that area booming! I think there are like 7 cranes huge amounts of earth being moved it is a construction bonanza when you also take in to account the light rail line.

UCSD is working on a ton of projects right now on both sides of the 5. I'm most excited for the new Sixth College development on the western end of campus. They have a few videos of their ultimate plans here:

https://plandesignbuild.ucsd.edu/pro...s-Living-and-L

HurricaneHugo Sep 29, 2018 1:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Flying Dutchman (Post 8327684)
Bosa to develop the crusty old library site on E.

http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/...926-story.html

TLDR; CivicSD/Council expected to approve in November, with construction expected around 2020-21.

Stats: 42 stories, 420', 392 rentals, ground floor commercial.
Subject to change of course (yes, the design will be prettier, folks)

Of course there's people who want to preserve the old library.

Ugh.

But a 42 story right there is perfect, that area needs height

SDCAL Sep 29, 2018 2:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iReserve (Post 8327806)
Gelson's, according to Cisterra's website

Interesting. I thought maybe they would work something out with Jimbos due to the HP project which seems like it will be along the same timeframe. I don’t really consider Gelsons to be “upscale,” it’s similar to Ralph’s. Too bad about WF.

Nv_2897 Sep 29, 2018 7:22 AM

Can't wait till Pacific Gate's companion tower gets built
https://i.imgur.com/HMZhZQE.jpg

Northparkwizard Sep 29, 2018 5:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SDCAL (Post 8329748)
Interesting. I thought maybe they would work something out with Jimbos due to the HP project which seems like it will be along the same timeframe. I don’t really consider Gelsons to be “upscale,” it’s similar to Ralph’s. Too bad about WF.

Gelson's is a luxury grocery store and marketed as such. I don't remember the last time I've seen a wine/craft beer bar and a sushi bar at my local Ralphs. I was at the Gelson's Del Mar location a few months back and an employee approached me in the wine section and introduced themselves as the store's sommelier.

I think they'll fit in just fine.

SDCAL Sep 30, 2018 12:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Northparkwizard (Post 8330146)
Gelson's is a luxury grocery store and marketed as such. I don't remember the last time I've seen a wine/craft beer bar and a sushi bar at my local Ralphs. I was at the Gelson's Del Mar location a few months back and an employee approached me in the wine section and introduced themselves as the store's sommelier.

I think they'll fit in just fine.

I haven’t been to the one in Del Mar but I’ve been to several in the LA area and they are typical big box stores maybe a little nicer than a Ralph’s or Albertsons. They can throw some wine bars or grocery store sushi on the side, but the interior of the store sells the same products as Ralph’s and Albertsons which both already exist downtown.

WF and Jimbos are more concentrated on organics/healthier products and they carry a lot of things I don’t see at the typical big box stores.

I think a Trader Joe’s would be better than Gelson’s, again because it carries different products than the big box stores. I know I’ll still drive to Jimbos/WF/TJs even though I live a couple blocks away from 7th/Market, just personal preference on the types of products I buy. Jimbos has hands down the best produce of any grocery store, I’m really hoping the new HP development is able to work them into the retail section

Northparkwizard Sep 30, 2018 4:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SDCAL (Post 8330426)
I haven’t been to the one in Del Mar but I’ve been to several in the LA area and they are typical big box stores maybe a little nicer than a Ralph’s or Albertsons. They can throw some wine bars or grocery store sushi on the side, but the interior of the store sells the same products as Ralph’s and Albertsons which both already exist downtown.

WF and Jimbos are more concentrated on organics/healthier products and they carry a lot of things I don’t see at the typical big box stores.

I think a Trader Joe’s would be better than Gelson’s, again because it carries different products than the big box stores. I know I’ll still drive to Jimbos/WF/TJs even though I live a couple blocks away from 7th/Market, just personal preference on the types of products I buy. Jimbos has hands down the best produce of any grocery store, I’m really hoping the new HP development is able to work them into the retail section

This wasn't my experience in the least, Ralphs and Albertsons comparison? The LA stores must be very different.

For what it's worth you shouldn't buy produce at WF they royally fuck over local growers, go a farmers market (they have them everyday of the week)or Pancho Villa.

SDCAL Sep 30, 2018 10:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Northparkwizard (Post 8330797)
This wasn't my experience in the least, Ralphs and Albertsons comparison? The LA stores must be very different.

For what it's worth you shouldn't buy produce at WF they royally fuck over local growers, go a farmers market (they have them everyday of the week)or Pancho Villa.

The ones I went to in LA were older stores, maybe that has something to do with it. I agree about WF produce, I don’t buy it there I just buy certain other products. I go to Jimbos (seems to be high quality compared to other stores) and also have a box subscription with a local farm (I eat tons of produce and am picky about the quality :) )

The grocery store isn’t as important as the hotel, I’m glad Ritz is sticking with the project. I’m excited to see this one get off the ground. Over a decade downtown and that prime spot has been a surface parking lot the entire time!

Speaking of grocery stores, does anyone know anything about the parcel at 10th and Market where Grocery Outlet is? Any plans to do something with that since it’s a one-story building with a parking lot? With the tower going up next to it at park/market seems like it’s a waste of space (although the Gorcery Outlet appears to be busy).

IconRPCV Sep 30, 2018 11:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SDCAL (Post 8331040)
The ones I went to in LA were older stores, maybe that has something to do with it. I agree about WF produce, I don’t buy it there I just buy certain other products. I go to Jimbos (seems to be high quality compared to other stores) and also have a box subscription with a local farm (I eat tons of produce and am picky about the quality :) )

The grocery store isn’t as important as the hotel, I’m glad Ritz is sticking with the project. I’m excited to see this one get off the ground. Over a decade downtown and that prime spot has been a surface parking lot the entire time!

Speaking of grocery stores, does anyone know anything about the parcel at 10th and Market where Grocery Outlet is? Any plans to do something with that since it’s a one-story building with a parking lot? With the tower going up next to it at park/market seems like it’s a waste of space (although the Gorcery Outlet appears to be busy).

Grocery outlet is really good, I was all turning up my nose to it and then a friend forced me to check it out. It is like a more budget Trader Joe's, good prices and products. As to the Gelson's discussion, it is very upscale, yet not too horribly overpriced. Definitely a league or two beyond an Albertson's or a Ralphs.

SDCAL Oct 1, 2018 1:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IconRPCV (Post 8331095)
Grocery outlet is really good, I was all turning up my nose to it and then a friend forced me to check it out. It is like a more budget Trader Joe's, good prices and products. As to the Gelson's discussion, it is very upscale, yet not too horribly overpriced. Definitely a league or two beyond an Albertson's or a Ralphs.

I’ve heard they are good for prices but the bad thing is they tend to be very transient with the products they get in, I think that’s how they offer such low prices. A couple times they had some things I normally get at WF for a much cheaper price, but they only had them for a month or so and then never had them again. They must get deals on overstock items.

I’m sure it’s a great market for downtown, I just wish it was in the ground floor of a high rise. It’s in a single story building with a surface parking lot that seems to be a waste of a prime parcel of land. That’s why I was wondering if anyone has ever heard of future plans with that site.

iReserve Oct 1, 2018 2:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SDCAL (Post 8331191)
I’ve heard they are good for prices but the bad thing is they tend to be very transient with the products they get in, I think that’s how they offer such low prices. A couple times they had some things I normally get at WF for a much cheaper price, but they only had them for a month or so and then never had them again. They must get deals on overstock items.

I’m sure it’s a great market for downtown, I just wish it was in the ground floor of a high rise. It’s in a single story building with a surface parking lot that seems to be a waste of a prime parcel of land. That’s why I was wondering if anyone has ever heard of future plans with that site.

SDUT 3/11/2016:
"Bosa Development has bought a downtown block on Market Street, bringing to more than $133 million the Canadian company’s latest local acquisitions.

The property at 1002 Market St. was sold in a series of transactions involving Zephyr Partners and a previous owner, Steven Gordon, who planned a 30-story, 117-unit condo tower several years ago."

SDCAL Oct 1, 2018 7:06 AM

Thanks, iReserve. I didn’t realize Bosa owns that land. Will be interesting to see what they do with it.