SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   City Compilations (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=87)
-   -   SAN DIEGO | Boom Rundown, Vol. 2 (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=126473)

Derek Apr 7, 2007 2:17 AM

i saw Oceanside (i believe) and SD County at least

bmfarley Apr 7, 2007 2:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Derek loves SD (Post 2749042)
i saw Oceanside (i believe) and SD County at least

that makes 4 then.

Derek Apr 7, 2007 6:08 AM

BS strike 3 call in the Pads game:(

so anyways, after the heart-breaking game, i drove past Bayside and they have a fancy illuminated ad at the site...pretty cool

AND

i found the R2-D2 mailbox:jester:its in front of the County Courthouse

Urban Sky Apr 7, 2007 6:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SDCAL (Post 2748053)
This is true - the airport is key and in my opinion and will make or break SDs expansion into becoming a true world-class city, which unfortunately it is not right now. I fly to Europe and Asia with work on a regular basis, and can tell you that my company has left SD because it's inconvinient (the only reason I am still here is because I am home based). I could fly direct to London or Frankfurt if I was in Portland, Oregon, Denver, or Phoenix, but you can't from SD. Instead you have to shuttle to LA or SF, making SD very unattractive to corporations and even non-profit organizations that are mutli-national and need frequent connections to to major international centres. Even Tijuana has a direct flight to Tokyo. With our position on the Pacific and bordering Mexico, we could be such a more vibrant city, but the conservative politics of this military town stifle creativity and diversity and the majority of people here want to shut Mexico off by building a wall and keep SD a quaint, conservative beach town. Anyway, enough of my rambling, I am just disapointed that a new aiport site has not been able to be hammered out becasue I think this great city would bennefit, the current airport is a joke and safety hazard.

:previous: That's very intertesting. And I think it's important to note too. This is why I think it's so key that we secure a good location for Lindberg field. The city needs a place that is still relatively close to downtown that will give the Airport room to grow with the city. It has to be convinient or no one will want to use it. There is also absolutely NO reason why San Diego cannot be a hub for international travel and relations.

Think about it. There is no other city in the United States that is positioned as well as San Diego for International synergy. Miami is in a good location, but it's not physically connected to any other countries. There is at least 50 miles of ocean between the closest country and Miami and look how well they've positioned themselves as the "Gateway to Latin America". We are just as close as Miami is to all those countries and there is no reason why San Diego cannot develop itself into the west-coast counterpart to Miami as an international hub. Look at all the good it's doing for Miami too. They are getting development downtown like there is no tomorrow! Not more than a few years ago, they completed what is the tallest building in the state, and now they are surpassing that building several times over.

If San Diego plans to expand into anything like this, it need to get it's head out of it's ass and get rid of nimbys like Donna Frye. What they don't realize is that we have a lot of real estate to work with. There is no reason why San Diego cannot keep the small town surf-city feel that it's always had while embracing it's ties with International Business, Location and opportunity. We already have the military here, we have the technology industry here. San Diego can easily become a world class city.

My vision for the city would be to move the airport to the proposed Miramar location, expand the city north to where the airport was and south towards National City and Chula Vista. We have a lot of prime real estate along the water and I think we should make better use of it. :tup:

Urban Sky Apr 7, 2007 6:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Derek loves SD (Post 2749407)
i found the R2-D2 mailbox:jester:its in front of the County Courthouse

oh sweet! i havent seen that yet!

Derek Apr 7, 2007 6:44 AM

Andrew, SDCAL, you guys rock:)

i totally agree with both of you and you guys make excellent points!

Urban Sky Apr 7, 2007 6:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SDCAL (Post 2748099)
Agreed, alot of people think that SD is a very large city because people will quote the city population ranks as opposed to the metro population. For example SD ranks something like 6th or 7th in the nation in terms of "city populations" but is is much further down the list when it comes to metro urban areas. Cities like Miami, Dallas, even SF show up as smaller cities than SD, however their metro populations are much larger. Since metro areas generally dictate the major infrastructure needs (corporate headquarters, airports, mass-transit, etc), it is the metro population that is a better indicator of the magnitude of architectural projects. For example, Miami International airport serves the Miami metro area and much of southeast Florida not only the city of Miami, which explains why a city smaller than San Diego has the need for a much larger/busier airport with more international connections than SD.

I think it's very interesting how you used Miami as a comparison like I did when responding to you above post (below). I hadn't even read this post yet, so at least I know we are on the same page and that we are not off-base in thinking that San Diego could be a lot more than it gives itself credit for.

The company I work for is now based in San Diego and they are a Multi-national corporation. There is a lot of travel to Japan for us and I am glad that they are putting that kind of faith in SD to provide the future means to easily travel back and forth. It's time the SD gives back to the companies like mine that have invested in the city in such a way.

Urban Sky Apr 7, 2007 6:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SDCAL (Post 2748135)
Sorry for all the posts, I am new to this site.

Does anyone know where the actual written "law" regarding San Diego's 500ft building height restriction is located? I have searched the internet and can't find anything.

All anyone hears is that we can't have buildings taller than 500ft downtown due to the close proximity of the airport, but wasn't this policy made long ago when downtown was confined to the marina area near the airport?? Now that downtown has expanded east of the ballpark, I am wondering if specific boundaires were mentioned for the restriction when the policy was written. When I am in East Village east of the ballpark, I never hear planes overhead or see any and I have a hard time believing East Village skyscrapers would pose a problem to the flight paths at Linbergh field????

First of all, welcome to the forums. Don't ever worry about posting too much because that's what this place is here for. I am always interested in seeing what other people have to say. Only thing I can recommend (as per the Moderators) is that we all stay on topic and play nice.

Moving on. As far as the height limit is concerned, I have also had a difficult time trying to find official documentation of this. I think I remember someone posting something on here a year or more ago regarding this that included maps etc. We have all bene wondering the same thing as far as the lasting validity of that policy goes. There is no reason why the 500' limit cannot be raised to at least 700'. This sentiment has existed for a long time too...and not just with us SSP Forumers.

Gary Shaw, the Publisher of the San Diego Metropolitan Business Report wrote in October of 2003:

"As for the FAA’s 500-foot height limit over the southeastern reaches of East Village, the same height limit imposed a mile to the northwest closer to Lindbergh Field, the time is now to raise that limit. Stacking 25 stories of condos on top of 25 stories of offices makes fine sense. Better here than sprawling to Ramona."

Other people see value in this and I think it's only a matter of time before this issue is addressed; whether the airport moves or not.

Urban Sky Apr 7, 2007 6:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Derek loves SD (Post 2749445)
Andrew, SDCAL, you guys rock:)

i totally agree with both of you and you guys make excellent points!

thanks! youre quite rockin yourself :tup:

Urban Sky Apr 7, 2007 7:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Derek loves SD (Post 2748522)
the Chula Vista project looks nice:tup:

and i couldnt agree with you guys more about the airport being key...its so unfortunate:(

That is looking really good!!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by eburress (Post 2748905)
A very good urban bayfront...with no height limits. A nice location for a new Chargers stadium too.

YES! :yes:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Derek loves SD (Post 2748967)
a superb location!

but how come you emphasized the no height limit? do you think Chula Vista will build a tower taller than 500 feet?

They definitely could if they wanted to!

Derek Apr 7, 2007 7:06 AM

oh my goodness...i didnt realize you were new here SDCAL...welcome;)

and thank you Andrew:)

and Gary Shaw's statement is awesome:tup:

Quote:

Only thing I can recommend (as per the Moderators) is that we all stay on topic and play nice.
please do...

Urban Sky Apr 7, 2007 7:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Derek loves SD (Post 2749479)
oh my goodness...i didnt realize you were new here SDCAL...welcome;)

and thank you Andrew:)

and Gary Shaw's statement is awesome:tup:

please do...

some of us have already learned this lesson the hard way :rolleyes: :notacrook:

Derek Apr 7, 2007 7:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Urban Sky (Post 2749477)
That is looking really good!!!

YES! :yes:

They definitely could if they wanted to!

that would definitly make some news...tallest building in city where the city is not the largest in the county...interesting...but i highly doubt that would happen...(unless downtown SD gets a building taller than 500 feet...then i think Chula Vista would definitly be good for a 500+ footer;))

Derek Apr 7, 2007 7:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Urban Sky (Post 2749484)
some of us have already learned this lesson the hard way :rolleyes: :notacrook:

what are you talking about?;)

Derek Apr 7, 2007 7:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Urban Sky (Post 2749442)
oh sweet! i havent seen that yet!

i wish i had my camera...not to worry...ill be back down there again sometime this weekend:tup:

spoonman Apr 7, 2007 7:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eburress (Post 2748905)
A very good urban bayfront...with no height limits. A nice location for a new Chargers stadium too.

I would love to see someone build over 500ft in Chula Vista, that'd be awesome. I could just see someone like the Donald rolling into town and building an 800ft tower on the bayfront. That'd show those bastards on the city board. Maybe then the'd make the push for increased height before being passed over again.

Derek Apr 7, 2007 7:32 AM

^now thats something i didnt think of!

excellent thought;)

spoonman Apr 7, 2007 7:37 AM

For it's height, San Diego probably has one of the densest skylines in the country. A few buildings with some extra height would really change the feel of the skyline. Think of San Francisco. They only have a couple very-tall buildings, but the position and character of those buildings give the skyline a larger than life sort of iconic presence.

Derek Apr 7, 2007 7:40 AM

so...who wants to lead the rebellion against the city council and the Miramar officials?;)

bmfarley Apr 7, 2007 7:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Urban Sky (Post 2749439)
:previous: That's very intertesting. And I think it's important to note too. This is why I think it's so key that we secure a good location for Lindberg field. The city needs a place that is still relatively close to downtown that will give the Airport room to grow with the city. It has to be convinient or no one will want to use it. There is also absolutely NO reason why San Diego cannot be a hub for international travel and relations.

Think about it. There is no other city in the United States that is positioned as well as San Diego for International synergy. Miami is in a good location, but it's not physically connected to any other countries. There is at least 50 miles of ocean between the closest country and Miami and look how well they've positioned themselves as the "Gateway to Latin America". We are just as close as Miami is to all those countries and there is no reason why San Diego cannot develop itself into the west-coast counterpart to Miami as an international hub. Look at all the good it's doing for Miami too. They are getting development downtown like there is no tomorrow! Not more than a few years ago, they completed what is the tallest building in the state, and now they are surpassing that building several times over.

If San Diego plans to expand into anything like this, it need to get it's head out of it's ass and get rid of nimbys like Donna Frye. What they don't realize is that we have a lot of real estate to work with. There is no reason why San Diego cannot keep the small town surf-city feel that it's always had while embracing it's ties with International Business, Location and opportunity. We already have the military here, we have the technology industry here. San Diego can easily become a world class city.

My vision for the city would be to move the airport to the proposed Miramar location, expand the city north to where the airport was and south towards National City and Chula Vista. We have a lot of prime real estate along the water and I think we should make better use of it. :tup:

It certainly wouldn't hurt to also support high speed rail as proposed by the California High Speed Rail Authority. In fact, if it moves forward it can/will substantially reduce the need for many in-state flights out of Lindbergh. The freed-up capacity at Lindbergh would provide more room for National and international flights.

Someone other than me needs to contact Kehoe and tell her to get onboard.

For your pleasures from the California High Speed Rail Authority web site:
http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n...l/chsramap.jpg

http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n...l/ModeTime.jpg

http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n...l/1981-TGV.jpg