SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Completed Project Threads Archive (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=348)
-   -   NEW YORK | Central Park Tower (Nordstrom)| 1,550 FT | 131 FLOORS (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=191095)

gramsjdg Jun 16, 2016 9:15 PM

HUGE improvement over the previous renders, even if its just in the details. Still needs the spire though in my opinion.

Guess we'll have to wait until its finished to know if it will be 1569' or 1550'?

Zerton Jun 17, 2016 9:47 PM

It's has such strange massing. Regardless of the cantilever.

NYguy Jun 18, 2016 3:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gramsjdg (Post 7476826)
Still needs the spire though in my opinion.

Guess we'll have to wait until its finished to know if it will be 1569' or 1550'?

We may get a more definitive and final height before then.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zerton (Post 7478141)
It's has such strange massing. Regardless of the cantilever.

Yeah, the massing is a little awkward. There's the cantiliver to thank for that. (Let's just overlook the blank wall beneath it). But everytime I look at this design I think "this will be essentially the tallest in the country, and more importantly, New York", I'm just underwhelmed. Even the Freedom Tower has it's tacky spire to blunt the impact of it's bulk on the skyline. This tower doesn't actually need a spire (though it could help), but at least a crown of some sort to make it worthy of the city it will tower over. If they made One Vanderbilt taller, then it would be fine.

I think when they add 111 W. 57th to the render that will lessen the impact of the "stumpiness" of the top of this tower. But the design is just missing something.

http://www.yimbynews.com/wp-content/...cpt_40_1-1.jpg

I do like the logo though.

http://media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/64...04350c2d03.jpg

gramsjdg Jun 18, 2016 3:58 AM

A crown would definitely help, even something as simple as two additional setbacks maybe 50-60 ft tall (each) made out of translucent glass and lit up from behind, similar to the lit bands on the render from last year. Plus it would put the roof at over 500m/1640' and make the tower stand out more from the nearby 1400 footers. Otherwise, a very robust spire like the first of the two design's proposed (the second spire design was a little too thin and fragile looking) would help.

pico44 Jun 18, 2016 10:59 AM

It's actually quite a feat. I'm almost in awe of the fact that they made a nearly-1600ft, soaring skyscraper, banal. Well-done (m)E(h)xtell. Way to make the seemingly-impossible, possible.

If 111 is New York majestically reaching for the sky, Nordstrom is New York crossing a busy street to pick up a penny.

BrandonJXN Jun 18, 2016 12:40 PM

If ever a building needed a spire...

Tallguy Jun 18, 2016 1:10 PM

I'm fine with the design. While I like spires and they have their place I think they have been overdone the past 10 years. I prefer the skyline not to be as dominated by them as it has become.

hunser Jun 18, 2016 10:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallguy (Post 7478644)
I'm fine with the design. While I like spires and they have their place I think they have been overdone the past 10 years. I prefer the skyline not to be as dominated by them as it has become.

So far not a single spire @57th or HY/MW. I think there should be at least one in a complex, especially the HY needs a singature tower with preferably a spire on top to stick out.

manchester united Jun 19, 2016 6:52 PM

Is it possible to know the exact number of REAL floors of this tower ? Thank you.

hunser Jun 19, 2016 10:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by manchester united (Post 7479399)
Is it possible to know the exact number of REAL floors of this tower ? Thank you.

Latest DOB filings shows 99 floors. The marketing floor count is 131, so the difference is quite huge. Maybe the real floor count is now over 100 ...

manchester united Jun 21, 2016 1:35 AM

I hope it !!!!!!

manchester united Jun 21, 2016 1:51 AM

To change the title from 99 to 108 floors !!!!!! I have seen the new renderings and I have counted 108 REAL FLOORS !!!

Shwayze1994 Jun 21, 2016 2:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by manchester united (Post 7480622)
To change the title from 99 to 108 floors !!!!!! I have seen the new renderings and I have counted 108 REAL FLOORS !!!

Pics or it didn't happen lol

manchester united Jun 21, 2016 2:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shwayze1994 (Post 7480631)
Pics or it didn't happen lol

I have counted exactly the real floors in the new renderings and in the old renderings ( only for the first floors which isn't possible to see in the new renderings ) and the TOTAL OF THR REAL FLOORS is exactly 108.

chris08876 Jun 22, 2016 12:01 AM

Extell looks to raise $190M in EB-5 funds for Central Park Tower

The $2.98B project is expected to have a sellout of close to $4.4B

Quote:

Gary Barnett is looking to raise $190 million in financing for Extell Development’s Central Park Tower development through the EB-5 program, according to marketing materials on a Chinese EB-5 website.

Extell had filed an offering plan for the 182-unit development back in July but withdrew it just a month later, according to records filed with the New York Attorney General’s office. Barnett was rumored to be in discussions with a new capital partner at the project.

EB-5 is a federal program that grants foreign investors green cards in exchange for a minimum investment of $500,000 in job-creating projects in the U.S. It’s become one of the most popular — and most controversial — fundraising vehicles for New York developers.

Barnett is also looking to raise up to $200 million for a 815-unit project at One Manhattan Square on the Lower East Side.

EB-5 investors in the Central Park project at 217 West 57th Street would be required to pump in a minimum of $1 million, according to the documents on website visas.to The residential condo portion of the tower has a projected sellout of $4 billion in condo sales, with an average asking price of just over $6,500 per square foot.

Adrian Smith + Gordon Gill Architecture, the same firm behind the supertall Jeddah Tower in Saudi Arabia, is slated to design the building, which will be the tallest in the city by the height of its roof.

A link to the EB-5 marketing website was first tweeted by Wall Street Journal reporter Eliot Brown.
=============================
http://therealdeal.com/2016/06/21/ex...al-park-tower/
=============================

Lord Barnett: :worship::worship::worship:

http://therealdeal.com/wp-content/up...-tower-570.jpg

NYguy Jun 22, 2016 3:31 AM

http://www.wsj.com/articles/develope...wer-1466536687

Developer Seeks EB-5 Funding for Luxury New York Tower
Extell project would be one of the highest-profile buildings to use the visa program

https://si.wsj.net/public/resources/...0621122435.jpg

By ELIOT BROWN
June 21, 2016

Quote:

Gary Barnett, the company’s chief executive, said he is following all rules for the program, and the tower is expected to create “thousands” of jobs that might otherwise not be created as traditional condo financing is tough to secure today. “Given the financing environment that currently exists, it’s a critical component,” he said of the EB-5 funding.

Consultants for Extell in China this month began seeking up to 380 investors—at $500,000 each—according to multiple websites advertising the project. The skyscraper would be the tallest and most prominent of the recent spate of slender towers that aim at the superrich on the strip of 57th street that has been dubbed “Billionaires’ Row.” It would rise to 1,550 feet, 300 higher than the Empire State Building, and a website advertising the tower to prospective foreign investors says it would set a new bar for luxury, becoming a “new generation of top towers” in New York.

While construction is under way on the lower floors—to be home to a sprawling flagship for Nordstrom department stores—Mr. Barnett hasn’t yet secured all the financing necessary to build the condo tower atop. The super-high-end market has weakened significantly amid greater supply and less demand, causing lenders to pull back.

Despite the pullback, Mr. Barnett is trying to push ahead and secure financing, of which EB-5 would be a relatively small piece of a project expected to cost more than $2 billion.

“There’s such a financing crunch that a lot of projects won’t get done without EB-5, and this is one of them,” he said.

https://si.wsj.net/public/resources/...0621122640.jpg

michael85225 Jun 22, 2016 5:20 AM

Yay, a true new supertall in New York with no cheating spire (besides 432 park ave).

hunser Jun 22, 2016 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by michael85225 (Post 7482018)
Yay, a true new supertall in New York with no cheating spire (besides 432 park ave).

The "spire boom" has stopped many years ago. All the new 57th Street and Hudson Yards towers do not a have a single spire. Lower Manhattan's new supertalls (125 G and 45 Broad) have a flat roof/crown too. And 3 WTC has lost its antennas and the new design of 2WTC has a flat roof.
There's only 1 Vandy, but the spire is mere 100 feet tall.

manchester united Jun 22, 2016 3:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hunser (Post 7482097)
The "spire boom" has stopped many years ago. All the new 57th Street and Hudson Yards towers do not a have a single spire. Lower Manhattan's new supertalls (125 G and 45 Broad) have a flat roof/crown too. And 3 WTC has lost its antennas and the new design of 2WTC has a flat roof.
There's only 1 Vandy, but the spire is mere 100 feet tall.

Hunser, are you agreed that this tower has at least 108 real floors ( 1 floor = 1 roof ) ? OK , there aren't 131, but there are 108 real floors. Why for the 1 WTC are considered 104 floors, even if are only 92 real floors and in this case isn't possible to write the reality ?

McSky Jun 22, 2016 6:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by michael85225 (Post 7482018)

There are currently 9 supertalls being constructed in NYC that do not require spires to reach that height.

In addition, the One Vanderbilt site is undergoing demolition.