SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Google Sketchup (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=159)
-   -   Metro city, good? bad? tips? (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=148767)

advance62 Apr 5, 2008 1:38 AM

Metro city, good? bad? tips?

advance62 Apr 5, 2008 1:45 AM

Dac150 Apr 5, 2008 2:31 AM

I really don't know what to make out of that to be honest, mainly because I've never seen anaything like it. It looks more to me like a castle, or something along those lines rather than a city. There also looks to be much gothic influence.

It's an original concept, I'll give you that. But to give you my honest opinion about it, I'd say it's really not my taste in architecture. At the same time though it looks like it took a lot of thought and time, so for that I commend your efforts.

Keep playing around with sketch-up and your skill will continue to improve.

Peter Apr 5, 2008 2:46 AM

It is something out of a science fiction movie! It's so wierd, but it's interesting. My guess is there really was no planning, just random modeling? It's cool, but definately not realistic. It's certainly interesting though.

advance62 Apr 5, 2008 2:52 AM

Aleks Apr 5, 2008 3:55 AM

It is...different. But at least it's a start. First of all, welcome to the forum. I'm Aleks. Duhh, and I try to be honest most of the time.

For now practice and download models from the 3D Warehouse to see what the models are like. I like that you put details into your buildings. I don't use textures most of the time cause the bricks looks all weird when you zoom. I like the whole "all buildings connected by bridges" idea. Save the animals and happy trees!!

Tanster Apr 5, 2008 6:42 AM

I like how you connected the buildings at the top looks like a highway runs through the buildings ..... really cool. Now just add flying cars and the city is PERFECT!!!

Patrick Apr 5, 2008 7:54 AM

I like it. Its so neo-futuristic. Any history to Metro City?

Mocholate Apr 17, 2008 8:52 AM

I LOVE IT ! Wish more of you would do something like this , step outside the boundaries and let your mouse run free ! :banana:

need to ease off the pointy tops though

verticalextropy Apr 17, 2008 8:40 PM

i love the bridges and the layout, and pretty nice density. if rendered it'd be like a house of mirrors.

IntotheWest Apr 17, 2008 8:58 PM

I like it. Good start, and a great way to get familiar with how to do the basics in Sketchup.

Unlike Aleks comment, I do try to let textures do some of the details (guess it depends on what you're trying to accomplish though)...but, agree that the standard bricks have odd affects. It's best to photoshop your own bricks, textures - a larger sampling image will look more realistic (image doesn't have to be hi-res though).

Just a couple suggestions: The faces you haven't textured, you should - even in the standard ones you've been using...and maybe try turning on shadows to give more depth in these photos.

Aleks Apr 17, 2008 10:06 PM

Well, textures are nice when they fill up a whole face like what Patrick does. But if it's a very small, detailed texture then it will look awkward.

IntotheWest Apr 18, 2008 7:56 PM

^Yes, that's exactly what I meant...large sampling sizes work best. Most models I do are for use in Google Earth, so performance is very important.