SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Development (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=86)
-   -   CHICAGO | General Developments (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=105764)

LouisVanDerWright Nov 16, 2014 7:23 PM

Looks like both 1550 N Bosworth AND 1521 W North are biting the dust. Something about a 4 story car dealership at that site at 1521?

Via Chicago Nov 16, 2014 8:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the urban politician (Post 6808467)
Show me proof of this.

Also, if this is true why is a strip mall currently being built on N Broadway in Edgewater? With front parking, no less..

not to mention the strip mall ACROSS THE STREET appears to be 1/2 vacant

north broadway feels like a lost cause sometimes

ChickeNES Nov 16, 2014 11:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chicago Shawn (Post 6809516)
-1611 Hermitage as TUP mentioned; 4 story 17 unit condo building w/ retail. Almost finished.

-Apple Store at North/Clyborn

-30 West Erie (was already closed for a while, now a 13 story condo tower)

-LaSalle/Grand-NW corner; closed for a long time (about 15 years), waiting redevelopment.

-Harlem/57th, not torn down, but renovated into a Potbelly's.

I'm pretty sure there is another example out there, but I can't think of it.

Vue53 in Hyde Park. Construction hasn't started yet, but they've already torn down the gas station.

Speaking of which, has anyone heard any news on when construction might begin?

SamInTheLoop Nov 17, 2014 3:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wierdaaron (Post 6808045)
Streets where buildings must be up against the sidewalk, and any parking must be in the rear.

And Sam, I admit that it can create a problem of not knowing where to put the entrance or having to move the entrance from the back to the front if the market shifts from drivers to walkers. But moving an entrance seems like an easier problem than moving the whole building.

Very good point. Probably the right way to look at this (saw Mr Downtown also picked up on my concern as well, and it definitely has happened), that with time, as density and walkability increase in select areas, it sure is easy enough to just switch the 'front' entrance back.....

jcchii Nov 17, 2014 4:24 PM

wasn't the elysian (waldorf) site either a gas station or 7-11?

SamInTheLoop Nov 17, 2014 4:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ardecila (Post 6809333)
Oof, that staircase... the Spanish Steps it is not.

What, you don't think this will be an instant classic public gathering space in Chicago? I can't wait first day open to grab lunch and head over and pick out a prime spot sit on the steps and relax over a leisurely lunch break....

(on a serious note thanks for the photo updates, aaron!)

Via Chicago Nov 17, 2014 8:07 PM

wow...$7500 fine for this. really sticking it to them

http://www.dnainfo.com/chicago/20141...orkers-cottage

good to know that if you want to violate your permit you can just do whatever the hell you want anyway and just chalk the rest up to the cost of doing business

the urban politician Nov 17, 2014 8:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Via Chicago (Post 6810845)
wow...$7500 fine for this. really sticking it to them

http://www.dnainfo.com/chicago/20141...orkers-cottage

good to know that if you want to violate your permit you can just do whatever the hell you want anyway and just chalk the rest up to the cost of doing business

Novak must have connections higher up.

Via Chicago Nov 17, 2014 8:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the urban politician (Post 6810855)
Novak must have connections higher up.

if youre a construction company operating in the city of Chicago thats a given. not any less infuriating. he knew exactly what he was doing. you pull this kind of shit you should have to forfeit the property.

7500 is a joke and does nothing to dissuade or discourage this behavior from happening in the future

harryc Nov 17, 2014 9:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Via Chicago (Post 6811043)
if youre a construction company operating in the city of Chicago thats a given. not any less infuriating. he knew exactly what he was doing. you pull this kind of shit you should have to forfeit the property.

7500 is a joke and does nothing to dissuade or discourage this behavior from happening in the future

Jail time ? (just kidding it's not like he shoplifted or stole a wallet).

UPChicago Nov 17, 2014 9:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by harryc (Post 6811102)
Jail time ? (just kidding it's not like he shoplifted or stole a wallet).

He denied preservation the opportunity to bitch and moan about him doing what he pleased with his own property, the ultimate crime. I say lock him up and throw away the key.......

r18tdi Nov 17, 2014 10:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UPChicago (Post 6811122)
I say lock him up and throw away the key.......

And his tubby son too.

Via Chicago Nov 17, 2014 10:18 PM

he does seem to have a habit of ignoring permits and zoning (that blue sculpture and non-regulation stone wall around his property come to mind)

anyway, it was a charming little house in an increasingly bland area. its unfortunate everyone feels the need to outdo themselves and cant appreciate some of the finer grained things that make the city interesting

PKDickman Nov 17, 2014 11:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Via Chicago (Post 6811165)
he does seem to have a habit of ignoring permits and zoning (that blue sculpture and non-regulation stone wall around his property come to mind)

anyway, it was a charming little house in an increasingly bland area. its unfortunate everyone feels the need to outdo themselves and cant appreciate some of the finer grained things that make the city interesting

As cute as it was, this little house was not a landmark, not orange rated, nor was it in a landmark district.

It had no protection. the only thing Novak is guilty of, is not getting a demo permit.

Via Chicago Nov 17, 2014 11:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PKDickman (Post 6811239)
As cute as it was, this little house was not a landmark, not orange rated, nor was it in a landmark district.

It had no protection. the only thing Novak is guilty of, is not getting a demo permit.

youre correct. im sure its time was limited regardless of the owner but it still rubbed me the wrong way

PKDickman Nov 17, 2014 11:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Via Chicago (Post 6811240)
youre correct. im sure its time was limited regardless of the owner but it still rubbed me the wrong way

It bothers me too.
But even as a NIMBY, I firmly believe that As Of Right means exactly that. An absolute right to do what you wish with the development rights you pay for when you purchase with the property.

Sad as this case may be, $7500 is a pretty steep fine for otherwise legal work done without a permit.
This is a crime that happens all over the city every day, and if it was the the owner of a two flat who enclosed his porch without a permit, a $7500 fine would seem astronomical.

UPChicago Nov 18, 2014 1:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PKDickman (Post 6811263)
It bothers me too.
But even as a NIMBY, I firmly believe that As Of Right means exactly that. An absolute right to do what you wish with the development rights you pay for when you purchase with the property.

Sad as this case may be, $7500 is a pretty steep fine for otherwise legal work done without a permit.
This is a crime that happens all over the city every day, and if it was the the owner of a two flat who enclosed his porch without a permit, a $7500 fine would seem astronomical.

I agree 100% if people feel so strongly about saving something they should purchase it, period.

Tom Servo Nov 18, 2014 2:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jcchii (Post 6810565)
wasn't the elysian (waldorf) site either a gas station or 7-11?

There used to be a 7-11 on the SE corner at State and Walton. And then that athletic store on Walton used to be a big red building, like maybe 8-10 stories, and it was really old and shitty. But I forget what used to be on SW Rush/Walton corner. What is this question related to?

r18tdi Nov 18, 2014 2:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PKDickman (Post 6811239)
The only thing Novak is guilty of, is not getting a demo permit.

True.

...if you choose to ignore his history of bullshit -- such as the giant sculpture illegally overhanging the public right-of-way and the illegal stone wall (as other have noted above). Furthermore, he's no stranger to the city's permitting process and how things are done. Simply put, he knew better yet he thought the rules do not apply... again.

The neighborhood has been watching this potential project for a year (see link: http://www.dnainfo.com/chicago/20131...ld-be-expanded). Novak knew it would face public scrutiny (especially in a neighborhood where most people incorrectly assume historic = protected). Yet he still went ahead half-cocked. The arrogance!

At the end of the day all he's done is given the local NIMBYs more ammunition to use in their crusade against good projects in the future.

ardecila Nov 18, 2014 2:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LouisVanDerWright (Post 6809683)
Looks like both 1550 N Bosworth AND 1521 W North are biting the dust. Something about a 4 story car dealership at that site at 1521?

That's what the PD calls for. I'm not sure, it might be a standalone dealer for Sprinter commercial vans.

I really like seeing these awkward parcels along the highway fill in with sleek new architecture. I exited the Tri-State at the new Balmoral exit on Saturday past a block-long LED wall... pretty cool stuff, wish we had more of it. There's the El Centro building too which is in the same spirit.