SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Transportation (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   Public Transport Difficulties (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=246467)

Ifactwo Apr 8, 2021 3:31 PM

Public Transport Difficulties

Hi, hope you are all good. I'm doing my research and I want to know what challenges do you encounter when riding a public transport? For some countries, due to lack of public transport, they tend to go against each other just to be able to ride. How about in your place? `

EmmaOlivia Apr 16, 2021 6:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ifactwo (Post 9242229)
Hi, hope you are all good. I'm doing my research and I want to know what challenges do you encounter when riding a public transport? For some countries, due to lack of public transport, they tend to go against each other just to be able to ride. How about in your place? `

I feel you :D We tend to go up against each other just to have a sit in a public transport such as jeepney and bus. This usually takes place during rush hour. This behavior triggers harm since everyone wants to take a sit in a limited seating. That's why most of the time I am taking the taxi even with a limited budget. ;(

bobdreamz Apr 16, 2021 6:54 AM

There isn't a Bus route off of the main road I live at. The nearest Bus stop is 2 Miles away where another main road intersects.

Ifactwo Apr 21, 2021 8:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EmmaOlivia (Post 9250983)
I feel you :D We tend to go up against each other just to have a sit in a public transport such as jeepney and bus. This usually takes place during rush hour. This behavior triggers harm since everyone wants to take a sit in a limited seating. That's why most of the time I am taking a taxi even with a limited budget. ;(

A very similar situation giving me a very traumatic experience. I was about to ride a bus on a very usual day with all those rushing and bustling. When I was about to enter the bus, the bus drove so fast that I fell down and a car hit me - fortunately, I am still alive. But that was a very very traumatic incident in my life. I suffered panic attacks and anxiety after that. It affected me every day and up to now.

I am scheduled for a consultation with a professional - a therapist in particular. Have you or one of your friends tried talking to a counselor or therapist in one of your bad encounters in life? Looking forward to your thoughts.

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobdreamz (Post 9250987)
There isn't a Bus route off of the main road I live at. The nearest Bus stop is 2 Miles away where another main road intersects.

Wow, that is indeed a difficulty. 2 miles is 2 miles - so you have to walk 2 miles just to ride a bus and off to your destination?

Busy Bee Apr 21, 2021 2:30 PM

You've come to the right place... These forums are full of neurotics.

kingkirbythe.... Apr 21, 2021 5:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Busy Bee (Post 9255958)
You've come to the right place... These forums are full of neurotics.

:haha::haha::haha:

True.

Julie J Kile Apr 23, 2021 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ifactwo (Post 9242229)

I face a lot of trouble on public transport, due to limited transport, it is always crowded. After my work I have to stand for an hour in that rush till I reach my home.

jtown,man Apr 24, 2021 3:44 PM

Crime and homeless people taking up whole rows of seating.

Busy Bee Apr 24, 2021 4:39 PM

Back in the day it was jerry curl juice. For me at least.

Doady Apr 24, 2021 4:57 PM

I live in a North American suburb, and I had my driver's license taken away because I had a seizure, so I know all about the difficulties of using public transit.

Of course, the difficulties of using public transit in suburbs are rooted in the difficulties of providing public transit in suburbs. Suburbs are often not designed with bus service in mind, with thoroughfares too far apart and thus bus routes are too far apart, increasing walking distances. The lack of direct pedestrian connections to throughfares and to the bus stops along them further increases walking distances. This is all on top of the general overall lower densities in suburbs, so the walking distances are already too long to begin with. A lack of "permeability" of the road network for buses, a lack of permeability of the sidewalk network for pedestrian travel, and a lack of density, that is the root of the problem with public transit in the US and Canada.

You can see some half-hearted efforts in newer Toronto suburbs to increase their "permeability" and increase the density along major throughfares, and even these half-hearted efforts are enough to fill the buses. You can see the same in Las Vegas, which is not surprisingly one of the leaders of public transit in the USA. But overall, transit-oriented development in new subdivisions are rare. New neighbourhoods in US and Canada generally are no longer designed with public transit in mind.