SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   St. John's (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=700)
-   -   [St. John's] Retail Thread (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=198935)

statbass Oct 29, 2013 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arrakis (Post 6319199)
http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/sear...hers-1.2286483

Another sign that Sears Canada is slowly disintergrating in Canada. If you close almost all of your most iconic locations, surely a national closure is not far behind.

I was looking at dishwashers at Sears not too long ago. Sears did not have any dishwashers in stock and it would take approx 10 business days to be ordered, plus I would have to pick it up at their distribution center in Donovan's. Hmm... and I wonder why Sears is not doing so well????

J_Murphy Oct 29, 2013 4:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by statbass (Post 6319241)
I was looking at dishwashers at Sears not too long ago. Sears did not have any dishwashers in stock and it would take approx 10 business days to be ordered, plus I would have to pick it up at their distribution center in Donovan's. Hmm... and I wonder why Sears is not doing so well????

Yup...I'm on day 11 now of waiting for a fridge. I went there a few weeks back and asked I could get a replacement element for my oven. Would have taken something like 6 weeks to get here. I bought one online somewhere and had it in something like 3 days.

Arrakis Oct 29, 2013 6:38 PM

Just another nail in Sears Canada's coffin. I wouldn't be a bit surprised if Sears sold their lease to their Avalon Mall store to Target.

Quote:

Originally Posted by J_Murphy (Post 6319504)
Yup...I'm on day 11 now of waiting for a fridge. I went there a few weeks back and asked I could get a replacement element for my oven. Would have taken something like 6 weeks to get here. I bought one online somewhere and had it in something like 3 days.

wardo44 Oct 30, 2013 1:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arrakis (Post 6319635)
Just another nail in Sears Canada's coffin. I wouldn't be a bit surprised if Sears sold their lease to their Avalon Mall store to Target.

Target will skip over the 2 malls & build a new freestanding store in Danny's Southlands development in 2-3 years - provided that the demand at the Cabot Square store supports it. That store opens on Nov 13th.

Southlands sites will serve MP, Paradise, CBS, Goulds very easily and be the first stop for many from outside the Avalon Peninsula. Wouldn't be surprised if Costco, Home Depot also set up 2nd locations there too. Cineplex may look at that site as chance to relocate Mount Pearl Square cinemas.

Arrakis Oct 30, 2013 6:38 PM

Oh I dare stay they will end up in dannyland too eventually. But if Sears decides to sell it's other leases, especially in the Avalon Mall location, Target would be foolish not to grab it up. It's prime location. Still room for Target way in the west end too and they still go in shopping malls too.

Quote:

Originally Posted by wardo44 (Post 6320624)
Target will skip over the 2 malls & build a new freestanding store in Danny's Southlands development in 2-3 years - provided that the demand at the Cabot Square store supports it. That store opens on Nov 13th.

Southlands sites will serve MP, Paradise, CBS, Goulds very easily and be the first stop for many from outside the Avalon Peninsula. Wouldn't be surprised if Costco, Home Depot also set up 2nd locations there too. Cineplex may look at that site as chance to relocate Mount Pearl Square cinemas.

ed0797 Oct 30, 2013 6:41 PM

Costco is actually planning to open a second location, I was talking to a friend who does work for whoever owns the stavanger Costco. It be the best solution to open up in "Glencrest", their only problem is that the store would need over 500 workers. And the present Costco doesn't even have enough, according to the owner.

Arrakis Oct 30, 2013 7:41 PM

Well Costco owns Costco, LOL. I would imagine that would be a good place to put a second one too. It's must not be easy though keeping staff at places like that.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ed0797 (Post 6321138)
Costco is actually planning to open a second location, I was talking to a friend who does work for whoever owns the stavanger Costco. It be the best solution to open up in "Glencrest", their only problem is that the store would need over 500 workers. And the present Costco doesn't even have enough, according to the owner.

ed0797 Oct 30, 2013 8:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arrakis (Post 6321251)
Well Costco owns Costco, LOL. I would imagine that would be a good place to put a second one too. It's must not be easy though keeping staff at places like that.

I just meant the person who ran the place. It's surprising that they have such problems! Costco has impeccable benefits, their starting wage is 11.25 and according to whomever "runs the place" the leading cart pusher right now makes 52 grand a year. :koko:

You can see the full list of the benefits here: http://www.costco.com/benefits.html

Arrakis Oct 31, 2013 1:35 AM

I know just joking with ya.

Perhaps I should look for a job there. Just got laid off recently.
Though I think it would drive me insane pretty quickly. It's just nuts there.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ed0797 (Post 6321296)
I just meant the person who ran the place. It's surprising that they have such problems! Costco has impeccable benefits, their starting wage is 11.25 and according to whomever "runs the place" the leading cart pusher right now makes 52 grand a year. :koko:

You can see the full list of the benefits here: http://www.costco.com/benefits.html

Arrakis Oct 31, 2013 6:28 PM

I guess its official now. Target's website has the St. John's store grand opening on Nov. 13 along with 30 other stores across the country. Can't wait to be underwhelmed. LOL.

http://pressroom.target.ca/news/targ...nings-for-2013

displacednewfie Oct 31, 2013 11:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arrakis (Post 6322397)
I guess its official now. Target's website has the St. John's store grand opening on Nov. 13 along with 30 other stores across the country. Can't wait to be underwhelmed. LOL.

http://pressroom.target.ca/news/targ...nings-for-2013

Nothing more than Zellers with a few more brands that is all. I remember opening day up here and how every one was Target this and Target that....end of opening weekend the store was almost empty except for staff and a few shoppers.

Arrakis Nov 13, 2013 5:33 PM

I visited the new Target store today at Stavanger Drive and I must say it was a nice store. They still haven't got all of their stock in place yet though but pretty much everything is there what needs to be there. I wasn't really shopping as it was nuts there with the crowds and lineups at the checkouts. But did a walk-through and liked how it was laid out. Was kinda surprised how much larger it is inside with the little piece that was built on to it. They seem to have utilized every bit of the floor space as possible than what Zellers was doing. Their furniture section was very nice too and reminded a lot of what you see at Winners/HomeSense. Be interesting to see now if they will keep everything nice and neat and not let it become a mess of store like the old former Zellers. I will definitely return there to shop once all the hoopla dies down and after Christmas most likely.

rthomasd Nov 25, 2013 11:59 PM

It seems the new Oceanex ship Conaigra broke down coming up the St. Lawrence after only a week or so of operation and is now in Halifax for repairs. Maybe out of service for 2 months. Merchants are complaining of shipment delays, Black Friday and Christmas goods may be late arriving. Haven't seen any news report about it.

john98642 Nov 26, 2013 6:04 PM

What we need:

- Second Costco
- Walmart Supercentre (Sells Groceries)
- Pete's Froutique
- Farmers Market near DT
- McDonald's DT
- Thai Food Restaurant
- Moxie's

J_Murphy Dec 2, 2013 11:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arrakis (Post 6337707)
I visited the new Target store today at Stavanger Drive and I must say it was a nice store. They still haven't got all of their stock in place yet though but pretty much everything is there what needs to be there. I wasn't really shopping as it was nuts there with the crowds and lineups at the checkouts. But did a walk-through and liked how it was laid out. Was kinda surprised how much larger it is inside with the little piece that was built on to it. They seem to have utilized every bit of the floor space as possible than what Zellers was doing. Their furniture section was very nice too and reminded a lot of what you see at Winners/HomeSense. Be interesting to see now if they will keep everything nice and neat and not let it become a mess of store like the old former Zellers. I will definitely return there to shop once all the hoopla dies down and after Christmas most likely.

I was down on Saturday for the first time, and I must say I was impressed. It is a very nice store. It has a nice layout and looks pretty much the same as a US Target. They have a better grocery section than I expected, it is similar to Wal-Mart's, but seems like it is bigger and there is more variety. My girlfriend said it has the best variety of natural cleaning products in the city (i know not a big deal, but important to us). And, there is a Starbucks in there! Totally the best part of it all. I will definitely shop here over Wal-mart from now on.

P.S. I also watched a documentary on Wal-Mart last night...I never want to spend another dollar there in my life. Lol

Townie709 Dec 3, 2013 12:22 AM

In regards to target, I prefer it over Walmart. Many people have said that target is just Zellers under a new name; same products, same store. I disagree. Target is more spacious than Zellers or Walmart, has better more modern selection, has a much better layout with an attractive interior. Although some say its nothing special, I find it better than any of the local competition past or present.

statbass Dec 3, 2013 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Townie709 (Post 6360619)
In regards to target, I prefer it over Walmart. Many people have said that target is just Zellers under a new name; same products, same store. I disagree. Target is more spacious than Zellers or Walmart, has better more modern selection, has a much better layout with an attractive interior. Although some say its nothing special, I find it better than any of the local competition past or present.

I completely agree; I think most people's expectations were too high, maybe it was Target's marketing that made it that way. Target is a direct competitor to Walmart so it should be (and is) similar to Walmart. The argument that Target is not as good as Walmart is rational, but Target (IMO) is much better than Zellers. I also agree with J_Murphy's comment that the grocery section is better than Walmart's.

J_Murphy Dec 3, 2013 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by statbass (Post 6361046)
I completely agree; I think most people's expectations were too high, maybe it was Target's marketing that made it that way. Target is a direct competitor to Walmart so it should be (and is) similar to Walmart. The argument that Target is not as good as Walmart is rational, but Target (IMO) is much better than Zellers. I also agree with J_Murphy's comment that the grocery section is better than Walmart's.

I think it's sad that Wal-Mart is what people set their expectations to. Why is there such a perceived high standard with Wal-Mart. Tell me one thing that is nice about shopping at Wal-Mart.

Sorry, as you can tell, I am a little bitter to towards Wal-Mart lately.:D

wardo44 Dec 3, 2013 1:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Townie709 (Post 6360619)

I agree with you. Our Targets here in Ontario have been open for 6 months now and one thing people STILL don't give Target credit for is how much they spent on modernizing the Zellers stores that they've taken over.

A typical Target in 2013 is a WAAAY better looking store than a typical Walmart was in 1993 when they started converting old Woolco stores. Those were horrible. I'll be curious to see what some of the ground up Targets look like when then start opening them in 2014. I can think of about 3-5 in Southern Ontario that are on the way.

statbass Dec 9, 2013 1:08 PM

The new Victoria Secrets/Pink store opened at the Avalon Mall on Friday. I wasn't there but I heard there was a line up of over 200 people waiting to get inside... crazy! Just when you think shopping this time of year is madness enough they go and throw a brand new store in the mix!