SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Completed Project Threads Archive (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=348)
-   -   NEW YORK | 111 W 57th St | 1,428 FT | 85 FLOORS (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=198228)

Submariner Jan 24, 2014 7:51 PM

What a gem. I can't wait to see this one rise. Is there any word on when it will start to do so?

M. Incandenza Jan 24, 2014 8:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tubeworm (Post 6421299)
The quality is stupendous-- thank's Babybackribs! I won't post the whole thing, but everyone should take a few minutes to read @ YIMBY!

Michael Stern is such a mensch.

babybackribs2314 Jan 24, 2014 9:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tubeworm (Post 6421299)
The quality is stupendous-- thank's Babybackribs! I won't post the whole thing, but everyone should take a few minutes to read @ YIMBY!

Thank you! :cheers:

599GTO Jan 25, 2014 2:57 AM

Michael Stern comes across as a really great guy, and this building is one of the most beautiful skyscrapers I have ever seen.

We need more developers like him in New York City.

sbarn Jan 25, 2014 3:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tubeworm (Post 6421299)
New York YIMBY:

Interview: Michael Stern of JDS Development
BY: NIKOLAI FEDAK ON JANUARY 24TH 2014 AT 1:00 PM

Any indication of financing? Construction timing?

Hypothalamus Jan 25, 2014 3:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sbarn (Post 6421956)
Any indication of financing? Construction timing?

I don't have any additional information other than work should be starting this year. Possibly the author of NY YIMBY, aka babybackribs2314 on the forums, has some insider knowledge! Babyback?

Crawford Jan 25, 2014 3:35 AM

So the building will be "almost 1,400 ft. tall" according to the developer.

Could it be taller than 432 Park, and therefore the second tallest residential in the city, after 225 W.57?

ILNY Jan 25, 2014 3:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tubeworm (Post 6421299)
New York YIMBY:

Interview: Michael Stern of JDS Development
BY: NIKOLAI FEDAK ON JANUARY 24TH 2014 AT 1:00 PM

Great interview Nikolai, Michael Stern seems like a nice guy.

Can you interview Gary Barnett now :) and tell him what Michael said (quoting YIMBY) "I think that developers have an enormous responsibility to respect the skyline, because you’re leaving an impact that’s going to last 100 years, or more ...You’re leaving an imprint that’s going to outlive you as a developer;...." Gary still has time to change his design.

Hypothalamus Jan 25, 2014 3:52 AM

^^^ Kind words-- but I'm merely the messenger! ;) Babybackribs (Nikolai) is the man behind YIMBY glory, but he reads these forums so he will get your message!

NYguy Jan 27, 2014 2:32 AM

Almost 1,400 ft tall is good news. I would like to see what further design changes have been made. It's shaping up to be another great year.



http://www.pbase.com/nyguy/image/154256326/original.jpg

babybackribs2314 Jan 27, 2014 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ILNY (Post 6421988)
Great interview Nikolai, Michael Stern seems like a nice guy.

Can you interview Gary Barnett now :) and tell him what Michael said (quoting YIMBY) "I think that developers have an enormous responsibility to respect the skyline, because you’re leaving an impact that’s going to last 100 years, or more ...You’re leaving an imprint that’s going to outlive you as a developer;...." Gary still has time to change his design.

Hopefully one day soon! I know he typically has an aversion to press, but YIMBY is fairly Extell-friendly, and I'd love to have him. & thank you guys for the compliments!! :)

Submariner Jan 27, 2014 5:20 PM

Does anyone know when this building will start rising?

M. Incandenza Jan 27, 2014 8:53 PM

I really like how this building, One57, and 220 Central Park South are all going to "face" the park, much as the older buildings on CP South do. I think it will really give that portion of the skyline a unified (but still heterogenerous) feel, and a certain kind of almost reverential aspect.

Now if we could just get Nordstrom on board...

Blaze23 Feb 4, 2014 4:03 AM

What a beauty!
http://shoparc.com/mediaitems/all
http://shoparc.com/sites/default/fil...12c5375b_8.jpg

WonderlandPark Feb 4, 2014 4:24 AM

They are digging at 225, any site activity on this one? I really hope more than anything else in the area that this one gets built. Forget 225, meh. Want to see this one move ahead.

NYguy Feb 4, 2014 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blaze23 (Post 6435692)

Love it. I gotta go back and check that model again. It's the closest I'll get to seeing this beauty until it gets built.

mistermetAJ Feb 4, 2014 9:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blaze23 (Post 6435692)

Tastefully integrated with landmark building at its base. CHECK
Materials used are high quality and contextual. CHECK
Massing evokes, but doesn't replicate those of past greats. CHECK
Tapers to a spire/decorative crown. CHECK
Excellent height to open the doors for the next generation of skyscraper. CHECK

This building as rendered is as close to perfect as any skyscraper I've seen. It even beats out Tour Verre in my opinion.

Guiltyspark Feb 6, 2014 5:44 PM

The more we see of this tower the more I fall in love with it. Unlike 432 Park which I think will end up looking slightly shorter than it is, I think this will end up looking even taller than it is. That is a good trick. :cheers:

NYguy Feb 7, 2014 1:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guiltyspark (Post 6439720)
The more we see of this tower the more I fall in love with it. Unlike 432 Park which I think will end up looking slightly shorter than it is, I think this will end up looking even taller than it is. That is a good trick. :cheers:

I don't see how one will look slightly shorter than it is. They will both be very slender buildings, both will have more actual floors than the WTC towers, yet nobody says those towers will look short. It doesn't fly.

FMIII Feb 8, 2014 1:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mistermetAJ (Post 6436754)
Tastefully integrated with landmark building at its base. CHECK
Materials used are high quality and contextual. CHECK
Massing evokes, but doesn't replicate those of past greats. CHECK
Tapers to a spire/decorative crown. CHECK
Excellent height to open the doors for the next generation of skyscraper. CHECK

This building as rendered is as close to perfect as any skyscraper I've seen. It even beats out Tour Verre in my opinion.

In short, it is a true masterpiece. ;)

Guiltyspark Feb 8, 2014 2:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NYguy (Post 6440617)
I don't see how one will look slightly shorter than it is. They will both be very slender buildings, both will have more actual floors than the WTC towers, yet nobody says those towers will look short. It doesn't fly.

No one said it will look short, just that it may appear shorter than it is due to the massing of the windows. You are right, 1WTC has fewer actual floors, but that has nothing to do with how 1wtc looks visually from the outside since what matters is the height of each level or band of windows. On the WTC there are actually much more levels of windows squeezed into a shorter area (from the bunker on up). The more levels of glass stacked on each other, the taller the building will appear. Simple. I don't think anyone could seriously claim that 432 visually soars more than this building.

NYguy Feb 9, 2014 1:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guiltyspark (Post 6442435)
No one said it will look short, just that it may appear shorter than it is due to the massing of the windows. You are right, 1WTC has fewer actual floors, but that has nothing to do with how 1wtc looks visually from the outside since what matters is the height of each level or band of windows. On the WTC there are actually much more levels of windows squeezed into a shorter area (from the bunker on up). The more levels of glass stacked on each other, the taller the building will appear. Simple. I don't think anyone could seriously claim that 432 visually soars more than this building.

And I don't think anyone can make the claim that either will soar more than the other, or that any of the WTC towers won't soar, as bulky as they are. I'm stating that the argument about the windows is not a good one. You can add 20 floors of windows to 432 Park, and it wouldn't matter because the view diminishes as it gets higher. No one would know the difference.

This tower will have a number of setbacks near the top that will add a sense of scale, but it has nothing to do with the windows. The original WTC towers were virtually featureless, but the towers soared due to the height. Height matters in that regard.


http://www.pbase.com/nyguy/image/153802688/large.jpg
http://previewcf.turbosquid.com/Prev...5ccf2Large.jpg
http://www.turbosquid.com/3d-models/...nue-3ds/796988

NYCLuver Feb 10, 2014 11:32 PM

My friend and fellow forum member Danielson27 made these models and I just took the screenshots of them, sorry for them not being clad!!! One57, 432 Park, Torre Verre, 111 W57, 225 W57, 220 CPS are all there.

From Central Park:
http://i802.photobucket.com/albums/y...psbb5c81ba.jpg

From the West:
http://i802.photobucket.com/albums/y...ps2ef511c1.jpg

From the Empire State Building:
http://i802.photobucket.com/albums/y...psd17a597f.jpg

From Rockefeller Center:
http://i802.photobucket.com/albums/y...ps8c138b26.jpg

From Rockefeller Center:
http://i802.photobucket.com/albums/y...ps8489a165.jpg

dendenden Feb 11, 2014 12:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NYCLuver (Post 6445693)
My friend and fellow forum member Danielson27 made these models and I just took the screenshots of them, sorry for them not being clad!!! One57, 432 Park, Torre Verre, 111 W57, 225 W57, 220 CPS are all there.

From Central Park:
http://i802.photobucket.com/albums/y...psbb5c81ba.jpg

From the West:
http://i802.photobucket.com/albums/y...ps2ef511c1.jpg

From the Empire State Building:
http://i802.photobucket.com/albums/y...psd17a597f.jpg

From Rockefeller Center:
http://i802.photobucket.com/albums/y...ps8c138b26.jpg

From Rockefeller Center:
http://i802.photobucket.com/albums/y...ps8489a165.jpg

GASP! :drooling:

King DenCity Feb 11, 2014 1:57 AM

^Very nice look into the future. :)

NYguy Feb 11, 2014 3:00 AM

http://www.fastcompany.com/3025601/s...he-new-skyline

From Barclays Center To Modular High Rises,
SHoP Architects Is Changing The Way We Build Buildings

A band of seven is drafting a different kind of firm--one that values more than fancy blueprints or lucrative scut work.



http://e.fastcompany.net/multisite_f...ew-skyline.jpg


By Andrew Rice


Quote:

SHoP Architects, a young New York firm, has grand designs. The firm's seven partners say they won't be content to merely leave a mark on America's most important skyline; they also want to transform the business of creating buildings. "Sometimes we joke," says one partner, Vishaan Chakrabarti, "that the nearest precedent is McKim, Mead & White."

It's a nervy comparison for a New York architect to make, even in jest--a little like a pop group invoking Mozart--but SHoP has begun to back its ambitions with big commissions. Over the past few years, the firm has become the city's go-to designer for complex, civically important projects. In November, when the owner of a controversial Manhattan waterfront scheme unveiled plans for a 50-story hotel and marina, SHoP was his architect. When Michael Bloomberg, the city's previous mayor, announced a $1.1 billion mixed-income housing development, SHoP partners were at his side. There's also an ultraluxury midtown condo tower, 100 feet taller than the Empire State Building; a dockyard redevelopment around an old Brooklyn sugar factory; and even an outlet mall in blue-collar Staten Island, to be adjoined by the world's tallest Ferris wheel.

SHoP aspires to rethink the very notion of how architecture should be practiced, experimenting with everything from how architects get paid to how the firm participates in the treacherous worlds of politics and construction. SHoP's partners talk of breaking free of the tired convention that divides firms into two categories: the hip little ones, which devise adventurous buildings that exist only on paper, and the corporate behemoths, which design soulless glass skyscrapers that actually get built. "They have managed to cross the line from 'boutique' to 'big' really quickly," says Lance Brown, a professor at the City University of New York and president of the local chapter of the American Institute of Architects. SHoP wants it both ways, making the case that innovative design can add tangible value to real estate. And somehow, at least so far, SHoP has managed to please both architecture critics and real estate developers--perhaps its most impressive trick of all.

"There's this idea that if you make money, you're a sellout," says Coren Sharples, another SHoP partner. "We didn't really understand that."

....................The firm was revived by a stroke of creative inspiration. In the darkest days of the recession, SHoP got a chance at a commission that would vault it to the front rank: the Barclays Center. "We needed that project," Holden says. "We were reeling." Forest City Ratner was desperate itself, forced to scale back its original plan for Atlantic Yards, a mixed-use complex by Frank Gehry, in the face of financing problems and lawsuits from neighborhood activists. The developer was left with a boxy stand-alone arena design, which pleased no one, so it came to SHoP. "Inside of a week," Forest City's Gilmartin says, "they produced an image that was provocative, compelling, and ultimately became very close to the design of the building." SHoP gave the building a distinctive "skin," an interlocking structure that jutted out over the front plaza, forming an open-roof canopy that the architects called an "oculus." The idea--which proved successful--was to create a public space in what was once one of New York's most forbidding traffic intersections. "The protests stopped the day it opened," Pasquarelli boasts.

That's not completely true: Some skeptics still haven't forgiven SHoP for hitching itself to the Barclays Center. "I can't look at it without seeing the politics," says Fran Leadon, coauthor of the AIA Guide to New York City. But the Barclays Center became SHoP's calling card, bringing it to the attention of New York's real estate industry.

"I felt the design took a lot of balls," says ­Michael Stern, managing partner of JDS Development Group. Stern hired SHoP to take on another difficult project: an East River site that had sat vacant for more than a decade due to bureaucratic delays and financial setbacks. When Stern ­acquired the parcel from a previous owner last year, he inherited a painstakingly negotiated set of zoning constraints that prevented his planned pair of condo buildings from sharing a base. So SHoP gave him copper-sheathed towers that bend toward one another and meet in a central "skybridge" that contains amenities such as a health club. With those buildings under construction, Stern has SHoP working on another project, a 1,350-foot residential skyscraper above a landmarked building on 57th Street.

The 57th Street development--one of several recent ones meant to cater to the billionaire condo buyer--is the kind of building that is unique to New York. But lately, SHoP has begun to branch out of its hometown, vying to design a new generation of embassies for the State Department, building an office center for technology companies in Botswana, and working on a futuristic planned city in Kenya. Chakrabarti recently published a book, A Country of Cities: A Manifesto for an Urban America, which proposes that places like Dallas and Denver construct "hyperdense" core areas served by convenient public transportation. That vision, of course, looks a lot like New York. "I think our work right now represents the new direction of urbanity in America," Chakrabarti tells me.


http://c.fastcompany.net/multisite_f...ew-skyline.jpg

chris08876 Feb 11, 2014 4:31 AM

^^^^

Modular Units sound like a good way to get affordable housing to the masses. I could imagine that its a cheaper when it comes to construction thus allowing developers to afford to have more units that are, well, affordable.

NYguy Feb 13, 2014 2:17 AM

Latest filing...

(2/11/14)

http://a810-bisweb.nyc.gov/bisweb/Jo...ssdocnumber=01

Quote:

FILING FOR RECONSTRUCTION OF EXISTING SIDEWALK VAULTS AS SHOWN ON DRAWINGS FILED HEREWITH.

NYguy Feb 13, 2014 10:07 PM

Hadn't noticed this important tidbit earlier...


http://www.pbase.com/nyguy/image/154481336/original.jpg



http://www.pbase.com/nyguy/image/154481340/original.jpg


They're itching to get started, have the funding to get started, and this was approved.

Blaze23 Feb 13, 2014 10:30 PM

YES! With that and TV, I got enough to keep me satisfied, now if inly 2WTC could get going.

Submariner Feb 13, 2014 10:35 PM

Very bullish. Great news.

FMIII Feb 17, 2014 12:51 PM

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-_...north+face.jpg

Hypothalamus Feb 17, 2014 11:08 PM

This pretty much wraps up what NYguy posted in the previous page of the thread. Now lets start digging!


http://cdn.cstatic.net/images/curbed/logo-ny-156x59.png

Construction Permits In Place For SHoP's 57th Street Tower
Monday, February 17, 2014, by Jessica Dailey

http://ny.curbed.com/uploads/107w57-vertical.jpg

Quote:

While work on one 57th Street tower draws to a close, work on another is set to begin. A tipster alerted us to the fact that work would soon be starting on SHoP's 77-story, 1,350-foot-tall tower at 107 West 57th Street, and freshly filed permits with the Department of Buildings confirm that to be true. The project won approval from the Landmarks Preservation Commission last year, and a slew of new building permits have been approved since the start of 2014, the most recent of which was approved last week. Documents shared with Curbed from our tipster show that the architects and development team filed a "Construction Code Determination" form in late January to be able to start foundation work as soon as possible "due to the unusually complex construction logistics and durations." The document also notes that "all funds are in place to commence construction."

The updated permits also have an updated (but not yet approved) Schedule A filing, which breaks down the layout inside the building. There will be 61 units, with residences starting on the 10th floor. The facade of the landmarked 17-story Steinway Building, which currently sits on the site, will be preserved, but the interior will be demolished and rebuilt as part of the new building. Behind this facade, there will be about 15 units, and the "tower" residences will start on the 17th floor. The tower is incredibly slender, so all of these units will have a floor to themselves. Currently, the plans show there will be five duplexes and a four-story penthouse that will be asking, according to our tipster, nine-figures. Obviously.
:tup:

Perklol Feb 18, 2014 12:03 AM

Wonderful! :happybirthday:

Can't wait to see this beauty rise :)

King DenCity Feb 18, 2014 1:02 AM

YAY!!! let's see this baby rise!!!

gttx Feb 18, 2014 9:29 AM

A 4-story penthouse. Whoa.

Crawford Feb 18, 2014 1:01 PM

So the penthouse is over $100 million, not surprisingly.

I wonder how much over $100 million.

chris08876 Feb 18, 2014 2:55 PM

The penthouse will probably be bought by a group of buyers. As prices increase, it probably could be a worthwhile investment. Mabye a 20-30 mil profit if they sell it in a couple of decades. Yet again, it could be a billionaire who will wind up living here. Either way, with the report on the concept of Hudson Spire having residential units for its last floors, I would bet they are going to be way more expensive.

NYguy Feb 18, 2014 4:03 PM

Final stamp of approval to begin, a memorable mark in New York City skyscraper history...



http://www.pbase.com/nyguy/image/154536088/original.jpg

dendenden Feb 18, 2014 4:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NYguy (Post 6457473)
Final stamp of approval to begin, a memorable mark in New York City skyscraper history...



http://www.pbase.com/nyguy/image/154536088/original.jpg

be still my heart!

Submariner Feb 18, 2014 4:34 PM

Very exciting times - this may very well rise in lock step with TV, 225w 57th and 220 CPS. It will be nice to see all these cranes on the skyline!

My guess is that by the time these start to emerge on the skyline, 432 Park will already have been topped out, is that fair to say?

King DenCity Feb 18, 2014 4:34 PM

How fast do you guys think the rate of construction will be on this one? same as 432 park, one floor a week~?

Blaze23 Feb 18, 2014 4:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Submariner (Post 6457509)
Very exciting times - this may very well rise in lock step with TV, 225w 57th and 220 CPS. It will be nice to see all these cranes on the skyline!

My guess is that by the time these start to emerge on the skyline, 432 Park will already have been topped out, is that fair to say?

Indeed, all those towers should be rising at the same time since most if not all of this year will be dedicated to excavation and the vertical climb will happen next year. This is quite exciting to see all those supertalls and 2 or 3 of them masterpieces rising at the same time.

432Park should top out later this year and I do think Steinway will rise as fast if not faster cause correct me if I'm wrong but the completion date is only 2 years away, 2016, which is quite plausible considering the simplicity of the structure.

McSky Feb 18, 2014 7:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by King DenCity (Post 6457512)
How fast do you guys think the rate of construction will be on this one? same as 432 park, one floor a week~?

Each floor of 432 Park is 93.5 X 93.5 = 8,742 sq feet. And that's all the way up to 1,396 feet.

For 111 W 57th, the base of the tower is 79.25 X 58.75 = 4,656 sq feet. That's 53% of the square footage of each floor of 432 Park. And, of course, this tower tapers as it rises (starting at about the halfway point).

This tower will demand more detail work, though, in the installation of the terra cotta, bronze, and brass features.

The total square footage of 432 Park is 545K, and for 111 W 57th it is 316K.

Hard to say what all this means for the construction schedule of 111 W 57th, but I would imagine that even the lower half would proceed at a per-floor rate that's a bit faster than that of 432 Park.

King DenCity Feb 18, 2014 9:16 PM

^That's exciting. I'm hoping I'll be able to see some facade go up when I visit. :)

chris08876 Feb 18, 2014 9:21 PM

All we need now is Nordstrom and we got a trifecta of super talls rising. ;) Its crazy to realize that this is thinner then 432 park ave. :worship:

NYguy Feb 18, 2014 11:46 PM

I don't know what the exact schedule is, but the reason they want to get started soon is because of the "unusually complex construction logistics and durations".


Quote:

Originally Posted by NYguy (Post 6451119)


Surrealplaces Feb 19, 2014 4:15 PM

Agreed. Let's get this party started. :yes:

Quote:

Originally Posted by tubeworm (Post 6456534)
This pretty much wraps up what NYguy posted in the previous page of the thread. Now lets start digging!



Surrealplaces Feb 19, 2014 4:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chris08876 (Post 6457939)
All we need now is Nordstrom and we got a trifecta of super talls rising. ;) Its crazy to realize that this is thinner then 432 park ave. :worship:

Very exciting stuff going in on in NYC the last few years, and the next few to come. :cheers:

NYguy Feb 19, 2014 5:54 PM

If I had to rank in terms of excitement for me, this would be a close number 2 to Tower Verre's number 1.


All times are GMT. The time now is 3:03 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.