SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Canada (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   The Great Canadian Sports Attendance, Marketing and TV Ratings Thread (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=228928)

esquire Oct 11, 2022 3:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thewave46 (Post 9757099)
This logic always confused me.

A scandal erupts, current board decides to dig in its heels despite terrible optics. They circle the wagons for awhile despite being in an indefensible position. Sure enough, eventually somebody important (usually the money) tells them to go pound sand, because the smell of a rotting corpse won't magically go away.

Off they go. At least they look particularly stupid on the way out? :shrug:

The fate of Hockey Canada was sealed by Andrea Skinner's catastrophic performance in front of the House of Commons committee investigating HC.

thurmas Oct 11, 2022 3:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by esquire (Post 9757100)
In some respects Toronto is to the NFL as Halifax is to the CFL. Both cities could probably support teams in those respective leagues, but the front-end costs have ballooned so much (new NFL stadium likely clocking in at close to a billion dollars, new CFL stadium probably at least 200 million dollars) that it is now prohibitively expensive. The Toronto NFL promoters also have to deal with a massive franchise fee.

Whoa that is impressive, I love it! Adds character to the place.

The northwestern University New 35,000 seat stadium in Chicago will be over $800 million USD. Basically an IG field. An NFL stadium in Toronto would easily be over $ 2 billion now.

JHikka Oct 14, 2022 2:13 PM

Canadian brand OVO Sound will be on FC Barcelona's kit for the first El Clasico against Real Madrid this season on Sunday. It's part of Barcelona's recent deal with Spotify, with Drake celebrating 50 billion streams on the platform.

https://www.highsnobiety.com/static-.../ovo-barca.jpg

https://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/arti...ico-at-madrid/

JHikka Oct 21, 2022 5:53 PM

Jays Postseason 2022:

ALWC Game 1: 1,910,500 on Sportsnet. Comparables: Canada/Czechia RR at 2022 World U20s on TSN (1.899M), 2022 NFL Divisional playoffs LA/TB on CTV (1.849M)

ALWC Game 2: 2,811,500 on Sportsnet. Comparables: 2021 Grey Cup on TSN (2.873M), Canada/Russia SF at 2021 World U20s on TSN (2.8M).

blueandgoldguy Nov 2, 2022 1:27 AM

Sportico has released their annual list of NHL franchise valuations.

https://www.sportico.com/feature/nhl...XOYL0#cxrecs_s

Canadian teams ranks as follows:

1. Toronto Maple Leafs $2.12 billion
3. Montreal Canadiens $1.7 billion
8. Edmonton Oilers $1.29 billion
11. Vancouver Canucks $1 billion
19. Calgary Flames $870 million
22. Winnipeg Jets $805 million
27. Ottawa Senators $655 million

Oh, and Skyscraper Forum's 2 favourite franchises, the Florida Panthers and the Arizona Coyotes, bring up the rear valued at $595 million and $465 million respectively.

EpicPonyTime Nov 2, 2022 1:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blueandgoldguy (Post 9778788)
Sportico has released their annual list of NHL franchise valuations.

https://www.sportico.com/feature/nhl...XOYL0#cxrecs_s

Canadian teams ranks as follows:

1. Toronto Maple Leafs $2.12 billion
3. Montreal Canadiens $1.7 billion
8. Edmonton Oilers $1.29 billion
11. Vancouver Canucks $1 billion
19. Calgary Flames $870 million
22. Winnipeg Jets $805 million
27. Ottawa Senators $655 million

Oh, and Skyscraper Forum's 2 favourite franchises, the Florida Panthers and the Arizona Coyotes, bring up the rear valued at $595 million and $465 million respectively.

Jeez, I remember when the Oilers were worth 500 million. Crazy how much their value has shot up following the development of Rogers Place.

Berklon Nov 2, 2022 3:15 AM

How the leagues compare for average franchise values:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FgeT0-lX...g&name=900x900

The NHL is just dragging and are closer to MLS than they are the other 3.

MLS values still holding their own.

Hackslack Nov 2, 2022 3:23 AM

$4.14 billion for an NFL franchise, plus another $1 billion at least for a stadium… I don’t see Toronto getting an NFL team any time soon.

blueandgoldguy Nov 2, 2022 3:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Berklon (Post 9778880)
How the leagues compare for average franchise values:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FgeT0-lX...g&name=900x900

The NHL is just dragging and are closer to MLS than they are the other 3.

MLS values still holding their own.

MLS valuations are the most distorted. Their TV revenue sucks and revenue outside of the gate is questionable. They depend on those constant expansion fees to boost the league's revenues and minimize losses. That's about to come to an end in the near future though. Right now, MLS looks like a paper tiger.

blueandgoldguy Nov 2, 2022 3:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hackslack (Post 9778893)
$4.14 billion for an NFL franchise, plus another $1 billion at least for a stadium… I don’t see Toronto getting an NFL team any time soon.

It would probably cost $5 - $6 billion Canadian for Toronto to buy an existing team or get an expansion team (not that it will happen) and build a 70,000 seat domed stadium.

JHikka Nov 2, 2022 3:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blueandgoldguy (Post 9778896)
MLS valuations are the most distorted. Their TV revenue sucks and revenue outside of the gate is questionable. They depend on those constant expansion fees to boost the league's revenues and minimize losses. That's about to come to an end in the near future though. Right now, MLS looks like a paper tiger.

People have been saying this for a decade and yet it continues. Its value-to-revenue rate is 10x, more than double the NHL's 5x. It has a bit to catch up to bring that ratio down but the value is inherent in the product and infrastructure.

esquire Nov 2, 2022 3:10 PM

Soccer probably has a significantly higher ceiling in the US than hockey does for a variety of reasons. It's not hard to imagine the NHL and MLS basically swapping places in the American pro sports hierarchy before long.

JHikka Nov 2, 2022 3:13 PM

Forgot to mention it but CPL got 14,992 out for the final in Ottawa this past Sunday. Largest crowd for a final and most tickets sold for a match in CPL history. Onwards and upwards.

Quote:

Originally Posted by esquire (Post 9779182)
Soccer probably has a significantly higher ceiling in the US than hockey does for a variety of reasons. It's not hard to imagine the NHL and MLS basically swapping places in the American pro sports hierarchy before long.

Probably in the next 15-20 years.

HomeInMyShoes Nov 2, 2022 3:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MonctonRad (Post 9757054)
The Moncton Wildcats of the QMJHL has gone all out, purchasing an organ for home games, and hiring a professional organist to play the beast.

https://s3.amazonaws.com/resized.ima...gan-4456_0.jpg

Apparently the organ was purchased from the same manufacturer who supplied the organ to the Detroit Red Wings, and is very similar to it.

I missed this. This is totally awesome.

VANRIDERFAN Nov 2, 2022 4:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by esquire (Post 9779182)

I think it would be better for Canadian Professional Soccer if the three Canadian MLS franchises move to the CPL. I really believe that when we balkanize our pro leagues we just cut off opportunities for Canadians to go to the next level.

Hawrylyshyn Nov 2, 2022 4:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VANRIDERFAN (Post 9779242)
I think it would be better for Canadian Professional Soccer if the three Canadian MLS franchises move to the CPL. I really believe that when we balkanize our pro leagues we just cut off opportunities for Canadians to go to the next level.

This'll never happen unfortunately. The amount of money they'd be giving up is astronomical.

VANRIDERFAN Nov 2, 2022 4:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hawrylyshyn (Post 9779259)
This'll never happen unfortunately. The amount of money they'd be giving up is astronomical.

I realize that.
There is a move afoot to get a Toronto franchise into the NWSL and I think that the effort should be to get a National Canadian Womens Pro Soccer league off the ground instead.

But it appears that some Canadians are more enamoured in being a branch of the US tree vice growing our own forest.

Hawrylyshyn Nov 2, 2022 4:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VANRIDERFAN (Post 9779264)
I realize that.
There is a move afoot to get a Toronto franchise into the NWSL and I think that the effort should be to get a National Canadian Womens Pro Soccer league off the ground instead.

But it appears that some Canadians are more enamoured in being a branch of the US tree vice growing our own forest.

A women's version of the Canadian Premier League would be fantastic :)

JHikka Nov 2, 2022 4:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hawrylyshyn (Post 9779268)
A women's version of the Canadian Premier League would be fantastic :)

That's the current plan at the moment. CPL was thrown off by the pandemic, as with everyone else, but the eventual plan is for a Canadian national women's league.

Quote:

Originally Posted by VANRIDERFAN

Not sure why you feel the need to point fingers. It's not a controversial opinion that American leagues have higher ceilings than their Canadian counterparts. As long as we have strong domestic leagues in Canada then it's fine to have a couple teams in the American pyramid. At the moment things are working pretty well for the CPL with a number of players already moving on to the next step with MLS because the CPL provides a logical place on the pyramid just below the largest American league - to have Canadian teams tied into that provides more opportunities for Canadians which otherwise wouldn't exist. It's no different from Welsh teams participating in the English pyramid.

VANRIDERFAN Nov 2, 2022 4:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JHikka (Post 9779274)
That's the current plan at the moment. CPL was thrown off by the pandemic, as with everyone else, but the eventual plan is for a Canadian national women's league.

Not sure why you feel the need to point fingers. It's not a controversial opinion that American leagues have higher ceilings than their Canadian counterparts. As long as we have strong domestic leagues in Canada then it's fine to have a couple teams in the American pyramid. At the moment things are working pretty well for the CPL with a number of players already moving on to the next step with MLS because the CPL provides a logical place on the pyramid just below the largest American league - to have Canadian teams tied into that provides more opportunities for Canadians which otherwise wouldn't exist. It's no different from Welsh teams participating in the English pyramid.

I'll take that hit every day. I'm a huge CFL fan and while I understand Canadians preferring NFL over the domestic league, I really bristle at the folks who loudly proclaim they want to see the end of the CFL for some reason.

I'm of the opinion that there is a lack of pride in Canada when it comes to our sports and culture (even the NHL is now a US based entity) and we'd have a much more vibrant country if we'd put more effort into our own entities vice being a lost entity within the US behemoth.

I also realize that I'm a lonely voice.