SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   City Compilations (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=87)
-   -   SAN DIEGO | Boom Rundown, Vol. 2 (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=126473)

tdavis Jun 5, 2009 4:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spoonman (Post 4288871)
Very nice map...I think that's a step in the right direction.

My vote would be for the tunneling of Harbor Drive and the train tracks. Those stupid tracks have screwed up access for cars and pedestrians...

Cut and cover isn't that expensive and I think it would be better spent (at least in the near term) than decking over the freeway. Instead the city is squandering money on not one but now 2 pedestrian bridges.

Tunneling of the tracks is already in the works. When the HSR comes through federal law states a road can't intersect with a rail line where the rail cars travel in excess of a certain speed (can't remember which speed). They are waiting to tunnel the tracks at the same time they bring in the HSR so they can do it all at once.

bmfarley Jun 5, 2009 6:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tdavis (Post 4288916)
Tunneling of the tracks is already in the works. When the HSR comes through federal law states a road can't intersect with a rail line where the rail cars travel in excess of a certain speed (can't remember which speed). They are waiting to tunnel the tracks at the same time they bring in the HSR so they can do it all at once.

The California High Speed Rail preferred alignment, which was adopted, has HSR stopping at Santa Fe Depot. Ideas having HSR extended to the South Bay and possibly border are fantasy. One reason is for the very idea you forwarded; ridiculously expensive and little benefit.

kpexpress Jun 5, 2009 8:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spoonman (Post 4288871)
Very nice map...I think that's a step in the right direction.

My vote would be for the tunneling of Harbor Drive and the train tracks. Those stupid tracks have screwed up access for cars and pedestrians...

Cut and cover isn't that expensive and I think it would be better spent (at least in the near term) than decking over the freeway. Instead the city is squandering money on not one but now 2 pedestrian bridges.

Putting the railroad tracks along Harbor Drive would do wonders to boost the overall quality of downtown and that neighborhood.

As for clearing out portions of the Convention Center, this is not feasible and likely. The Convention Center is only getting older (not saying it too old at this point), but the fact is the city will always need to keep putting money into it to update, expand, etc. I think that revising the long term Convention Center plan would be wise so we can start seeing an integration of these principles and goals.

As for the map of extending streets "through" some of the NorthSouth streets, I think it's a great idea. Perhaps there is an opportunity to connect each of the individual buildings with convention space under the streets. That would be very nice and would make it so we wouldn't "lack" in any degree and thus missing out on important conventions like Comicon. A few light connection bridges connecting pedestrians across the streets (like 5th AVe) would be neat to see as well.

With the released plans, I am not sure if I like the idea of having the convention center come all the to the waters edge. Not sure if that's a healthy thing; I'm afraid that it will only make that water edge area a dead zone, and inactive. I am a huge fan of having a nice green area along the waters edge and once the harbor bridge pedestrian bridge open we will see a lot more people from East Village using it more often, and I hope we will see a boost in the use of the ferry from that new ferry stop.

Marina_Guy Jun 5, 2009 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JSsocal (Post 4288726)
^^^Cool proposal, the only unfortunate problem I believe would be that it just makes the convention center a whole lot less attractive to those holding conventions there, possibly driving some of them out, (like Comic-con).

Though in terms of boosting street life, your proposal is fantastic. The area behind the convention center is dead, and could really use shops, and to just become more pedestrian friendly

I just love how San Diego has to build a huge new convention center and the only justification is to keep a 4 day convention, once a year - Comicon. I don't think this convention is even a big stimulus for local business because its attendees don't tend to spend as much as other conventions on a per capita basis. How do people get away with this stuff.

I appreciate this forum as there are some very interesting ideas that get shared, but as the followers and contributors know there is so little vision in this 'Town' by elected leaders that nothing gets done to move San Diego into a higher tier of Cities.

eburress Jun 5, 2009 3:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JSsocal (Post 4288726)
^^^Cool proposal, the only unfortunate problem I believe would be that it just makes the convention center a whole lot less attractive to those holding conventions there, possibly driving some of them out, (like Comic-con).

Though in terms of boosting street life, your proposal is fantastic. The area behind the convention center is dead, and could really use shops, and to just become more pedestrian friendly

What about the convention center would become less attractive? I'm not saying it wouldn't...just that I don't honestly know which qualities are/are not appealing to convention planners.

staplesla Jun 5, 2009 5:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bmfarley (Post 4289113)
The California High Speed Rail preferred alignment, which was adopted, has HSR stopping at Santa Fe Depot. Ideas having HSR extended to the South Bay and possibly border are fantasy. One reason is for the very idea you forwarded; ridiculously expensive and little benefit.

My husband is the project manager for the HSR and I can attest to the comments of tdavis. The lines will be lowered (canyon like). Because of the grade variant required for an increase/decrease in elevation, the trolley lines will be lowered to the south of Santa Fe as well.

staplesla Jun 5, 2009 5:26 PM

I don't understand why we give up prime space along the waterfront for convention space. Those at the convention are inside the large halls, with no view of the bay anyway. And when they get out of their convention for the day, they can then enjoy bay front activities should they choose to do so.

The expansion would barely keep the SD convention space in the top 15 spaces nationwide as many of the others are also expanding.

I'd rather see the convention space be built elsewhere in downtown, in an area with trolley access, and in an area that can allow for some expansion to the size that will keep the SD convention space in the top 10 nationwide.

The waterfront should be for the daily use of the citizens of San Diego, not a select few on random days throughout the year held up in space where the intent isn't to enjoy the outside, but meetings inside.

SDCAL Jun 6, 2009 6:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IconRPCV (Post 4285287)
While it wasn't the greatest design at least it was different. We all complain about all the projects downtown being too boring, yet one that is different is too Dubai. I think we can agree on one thing, everyone likes to complain.

I don't think it's fair to compare the tower in Dubai to the (hopefully) dead Spinnaker proposal. That type of design looks elegant with height, and the Dubai tower is something like like 10 times taller

There are good "different" designs and "bad" different ones

I am all for thinking out of the box, and I truly see how boring SD is even compared to proposals on the LA thread that are much more original and edgy

But I'd take boring over some poorly designed piece of turd like the Spinnaker was, it did not look edgy and grand, it looked cheap and pathetic :jester:

SDCAL Jun 6, 2009 9:00 PM

San Diego is a NIMBY hotbead

If you ever want any proof that San Diego is a haven for anti-development NIMBY psychos, just read the comments sections when a development story comes out in the UT.

Today, there is an article about anti-progress city councilman Carl DeMaio pushing for a public vote on building a new City Hall (he is against it), and the comments overwhelmingly show people here want to vote 'NO'

http://www3.signonsandiego.com/stori...mment-10570745

Here is a taste of what San Diegan's have to say about a new city hall from the UT comments section :

jnojr
"Here's my vote: No.
I have no problem with the city being governed from an old, drab building. And I'm more than fine if they cry they're "running out of room"... stop increasing the size of government, stop hiring more entitled union employees.
Working, taxpaying citizens would be better off with a 20% across-the-board reduction in government. Slash right through everything. The "takers" won't be so thrilled, but I don't particularly care. Move somewhere else."

GroundAndPoundIsBack
"A brand-spanking new city hall?? BWAHHAH.
How about Katrina-style trailers for the city hall trash to work out of? At least the crap quality work will match the crap work space "

LightningBolt
""No" to building a new city hall. Especially in a time like this when the city is so short of funds. "

playsomeskynyrd
"I say demolish the current city hall and don't replace it. That way the city officials will have no place to work and hopefully we can get rid of them that way "

SunnyDeigo
"I will vote "No." If you need more office space, fire some of the deadwood. And anyone who deals with the city knows there's still plenty of deadwood. "

Licentia1963
"Tear it down and put the dog park there! Its already full of sh*t anyway!"

-With THIS kind of attitude, San Diego will never be a great city.

These people can't even seperate in their own minds the difference between government BUILDINGS and government WORKERS

If you don't like current elected officials, vote them out, government officals are just transitional, but city hall buildings say something about our city. They represent our city, not whoever happens to be mayor or on the city council

Voting to keep an inadequate, old, crumbling, decaying, emabrassing city hall because you happen to not like the current government makes absolutely no sense.

Marina_Guy Jun 6, 2009 9:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SDCAL (Post 4291872)
Voting to keep an inadequate, old, crumbling, decaying, emabrassing FILL IN THE BLANK because you happen to not like the current government makes absolutely no sense.

FILL IN THE BLANK

I still have hope that someday, someone with some brains and vision will take this 'town' by storm and lift it up. My hope dwindles by the day.

leadership wise, I still think this town is very ripe for the picking.

sandiegodweller Jun 8, 2009 2:36 PM

Anyone still think that hotels are not overplanned/overbuilt in downtown?

Sunstone prepared to turn over W San Diego to bank
The Associated Press
4:47 p.m. June 7, 2009
SAN CLEMENTE, Calif. — Sunstone Hotel Investors Inc. said Sunday it will default on the June mortgage payment for its swanky W Hotel San Diego property and turn over the 258-room downtown hotel to lenders, after failing to lower interest payments.
The real estate investment trust said Sunday its San Diego hotel has been hurt by "significant and continuing deterioration in demand for luxury lodging" as well as the opening of luxury boutique hotels, two additional Starwood-branded hotels and a 1,190-room convention hotel nearby.
Sunstone purchased the W San Diego in June 2006 for $96 million from developers including Starwood Hotels, Gatehouse Capital and Multi-Employer Development Partners. The hotel carries a $65 million, fixed-rate commercial mortgage-backed securities loan with a 6.14 percent interest rate, which comes due Jan. 1, 2018. The mortgage principal translates to more than $250,000 in debt per room.
San Clemente, Calif.-based Sunstone said its loan special servicer has declined the company's attempts at renegotiating interest payments lower. Since Sunstone feels the W San Diego is now worth much less than what it owes, the company would rather turn it over to the bank than have hefty interest payments continue to drain cash from its balance sheet.
"While the company maintains more than adequate liquidity to support or repay this mortgage, we believe a conveyance of this hotel in settlement of the debt would be in the best interest of our stockholders," Chief Financial Officer Ken Cruse, said in a statement.
Cruse said the move would deleverage Sunstone and add to its funds from operations – an industry profit measure – and credit profile.
Sunstone Hotel warned it could pursue similar options with a limited number of its other mortgaged hotels, but declined to identify any properties that might be in danger of default. Last month, Sunstone amended terms on some of its senior notes so that any default on less than $300 million worth of debt won't trigger noteholders to call in payment of their bonds. That would make it easier for the company to potentially shed other troubled hotels in the same fashion.
As of March 31, the company owned 43 hotels in the upper-upscale segment operated under brands including Marriott, Hilton, Hyatt, Fairmont and Starwood. It has been restructuring its credit facility and soliciting bids for new mortgage debt on several of its hotels.
Hotel real estate investment trusts have been hit hard by the credit crunch and by job losses which have curbed business and vacation travel. Analysts expect hotel margins will decline this year, given that hotels aren't cutting major services as they struggle to attract travelers.
Sunstone Hotel said that across its portfolio, revenue per available room – an industry performance measure known as RevPAR – slid 24.5 percent to $98.73 in the quarter ended May 31. That's nearly double the 13 percent drop it saw in the first quarter.
RevPAR for the month of May fell 24.4 percent and year-to-date is down 19.6 percent to $97.53.
"We continue to run our business with the expectation that 2009 will be one of the deepest cyclical troughs the lodging industry has endured," Arthur Buser, president and chief executive, said in a statement. "While we are generally pleased with our results thus far this year, as our recent revenue declines are largely the result of lower rate, rather than reduced occupancy, we expect margin control will become increasingly difficult."
Sunstone said the company has asked hotel operators to develop "zero-based" budgets and adjust staffing models for minimum business levels. The REIT plans to hold a conference call at 5 p.m. EDT Monday to update stockholders on recent business performance and transactions.

keg92101 Jun 9, 2009 5:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sandiegodweller (Post 4294276)
Anyone still think that hotels are not overplanned/overbuilt in downtown?

Sunstone prepared to turn over W San Diego to bank
The Associated Press
4:47 p.m. June 7, 2009
SAN CLEMENTE, Calif. — Sunstone Hotel Investors Inc. said Sunday it will default on the June mortgage payment for its swanky W Hotel San Diego property and turn over the 258-room downtown hotel to lenders, after failing to lower interest payments.

Or maybe that they overpaid for it?

Derek Jun 9, 2009 5:56 AM

I like the way Strata is looking.

kpexpress Jun 9, 2009 6:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Derek (Post 4295881)
I like the way Strata is looking.

I think the Stratta is looking mighty sharp looking myself. I was talking with my wife about it tonight, can't wait for the rest of the crown to be built, I love the curve with no setbacks. Cool stuff. Also, it really makes a huge difference to the market street high rise corridor.

HurricaneHugo Jun 9, 2009 9:23 AM

Pics or it didn't happen. :D

eburress Jun 10, 2009 12:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SDCAL (Post 4291872)
Here is a taste of what San Diegan's have to say about a new city hall from the UT comments section :

It seemed like this was much more of a commentary on this city's government than on the actual city hall.

:notacrook:

sopas ej Jun 10, 2009 1:12 AM

I hope the new city hall does get built; I always felt San Diego needed a new one; the current one is gross and is obviously inadequate for a city of well over a million people.

I find it interesting, though, that before the current one was built, the city hall shared space with what is now solely the San Diego County Administration Bldg.

HurricaneHugo Jun 10, 2009 4:48 AM

So this is my prompt for my history of San Diego class i'm taking:

A) What are recommendations for ways we can stimulate the local regional economy? What are ways that SD has dealt with economic challenges in the past?

B) Constraints faced? How much of will our history determine what's possible? Should we worry about prop 13? Water? Education?

C) How should I think about these options? What tools of policy and economic analysis are available to me to understand the pros and cons of the choices? What questions should I ask and how should I evaluate the proposals?
----
I'm writing mostly about the airport/convention center/stadium and how they can help. Not sure if prop 13 affects things much.

What recommendations would you guys have?

SDCAL Jun 10, 2009 6:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eburress (Post 4297307)
It seemed like this was much more of a commentary on this city's government than on the actual city hall.

:notacrook:

The point is they can't seperate the two, they won't vote for a new city hall -

And there was a follow-up story today saying the mayor wants it to go to a vote, so it looks like the new city hall will be in the hands of the voters

in other words, embrace the crumbling asbestos laden roach motels we have now, they are here to stay

sandiegodweller Jun 10, 2009 2:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg92101 (Post 4295843)
Or maybe that they overpaid for it?

The brand new Hilton has rooms for $99 per night right now. Wait until the new Marriott on 5th Avenue and Hotel Indigo open in a few months. It will be a blood bath. I guarantee that they didn't build those hotels with $99 rooms in mind.