SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum//index.php)
-   Alberta & British Columbia (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum//forumdisplay.php?f=127)
-   -   BC Highway Construction (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum//showthread.php?t=187593)

SOSS Nov 20, 2015 5:49 AM

I like 3. Smallest footprint and most bang for your buck.

go_leafs_go02 Nov 23, 2015 8:16 PM

2. Interchanges with small footprints and numerous left turn movements seem to never work.

I strongly dislike the 16 Avenue / Highway 99 diamond. Far too tight.

Love Parclos like what was done at 176 Street / Highway 1.

DKaz Nov 24, 2015 11:07 PM

Hwy 99/16 Ave seems like an interchange from Mexico. It's too compact.

I think Option 2 would work best given the heavy movement from Hwy 1 left onto McKenzie Ave.

Mike K. Dec 1, 2015 7:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stingray2004 (Post 7241082)
Actually I was kinda hoping that a directional flyover would have been part of the plan. But better than nothing... esp. with an est. $85 million cost.

I think a lot of us were expecting a flyover but instead we've been dealt the designs we see. My gauge of the options is that few people are overly ecstatic about the design, and considering this is BC's top priority interchange location at the moment you'd think they would have opted for a constant flow onto McKenzie but I guess that's not possible for $85 million.

SOSS Dec 2, 2015 6:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike K. (Post 7253592)
... and considering this is BC's top priority interchange location at the moment ...

How so? Where is the list?

Daguy Dec 14, 2015 1:11 AM

I drove through Revelstoke on Friday, and tree clearing on either end of the North Fork Bridge has begun. I suspect that the project will start next spring. It was an amazing drive from Kamloops to Golden, virtually no snow whatsoever til the Rogers Pass, even on the ground.

SOSS Jan 5, 2016 12:31 AM

Drove the Hope-Princeton over the holiday's. Nice to see this project taking off. Personally I use the Hwy 3 corridor more than the TCH1 past Kamloops corridor, however I think the funds would be better spent on improvements through the TCH1 Kamloops to Alberta border.

http://infotel.ca/news/medialibrary/...19943-8925.jpg

Denscity Jan 5, 2016 2:13 PM

The Hope Princeton is at 50s standards it needs all the help it can get. Particularly from the East gate east.

SOSS Jan 5, 2016 11:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Denscity (Post 7288331)
The Hope Princeton is at 50s standards it needs all the help it can get. Particularly from the East gate east.

I don't disagree with you. However with the finite resources we have in BC, I think we should prioritize the TCH1 corridor unless there is a substantial safety issue or structural safety issue (akin to bridge replacement).

splashflash Jan 26, 2016 4:41 AM

Gabriola Fixed Link Study
 
Report posted at: http://www2.gov.bc.ca/assets/gov/dri...afixedlink.pdf

RWin Jan 28, 2016 3:38 AM

When I was a kid I found this BC Highway map from 1963 in my grandma's basement. I use to love looking at it to see how things had changed. I just found it again and thought I'd share some of it here. Unfortunately I couldn't scan the whole thing but here are a few interesting spots around the map (interesting to me anyway). In particular, in 1963 you could still take the Big Bend Highway.

http://members.shaw.ca/rwinhold/map/key.jpg

http://members.shaw.ca/rwinhold/map/..._201013829.jpg

http://members.shaw.ca/rwinhold/map/..._201008499.jpg

http://members.shaw.ca/rwinhold/map/..._200953992.jpg

http://members.shaw.ca/rwinhold/map/..._200946584.jpg

http://members.shaw.ca/rwinhold/map/..._200936661.jpg

http://members.shaw.ca/rwinhold/map/..._200922102.jpg

http://members.shaw.ca/rwinhold/map/..._200930578.jpg

SOSS Jan 29, 2016 5:30 AM

Thanks for the pictures of the old map.

Metro-One Jan 29, 2016 9:38 AM

Yeah, neat to look at. As a kid I remember spending hours looking at road maps too (oh the days before Google Earth).

Canadian Mind Jan 30, 2016 3:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RWin (Post 7315816)
When I was a kid I found this BC Highway map from 1963 in my grandma's basement. I use to love looking at it to see how things had changed. I just found it again and thought I'd share some of it here. Unfortunately I couldn't scan the whole thing but here are a few interesting spots around the map (interesting to me anyway). In particular, in 1963 you could still take the Big Bend Highway.

http://members.shaw.ca/rwinhold/map/key.jpg

http://members.shaw.ca/rwinhold/map/..._201013829.jpg

http://members.shaw.ca/rwinhold/map/..._201008499.jpg

http://members.shaw.ca/rwinhold/map/..._200953992.jpg

http://members.shaw.ca/rwinhold/map/..._200946584.jpg

http://members.shaw.ca/rwinhold/map/..._200936661.jpg

http://members.shaw.ca/rwinhold/map/..._200922102.jpg

http://members.shaw.ca/rwinhold/map/..._200930578.jpg

It's crazy how some of those places managed to develop the way they did considering how far out of the way they are. Kelowna was so out of the way until the Coq and 97c came along.

craner Jan 30, 2016 9:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Metro-One (Post 7317545)
Yeah, neat to look at. As a kid I remember spending hours looking at road maps too (oh the days before Google Earth).

Ha - yep, I remember spending hours looking at road maps too. Still do on occasion.
:D

Procrastinational Feb 1, 2016 5:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Canadian Mind (Post 7318574)
It's crazy how some of those places managed to develop the way they did considering how far out of the way they are. Kelowna was so out of the way until the Coq and 97c came along.

If you look closely, that map shows Penticton and Kelowna as being roughly the same size. Amazing how things change.

Klazu Feb 9, 2016 7:14 PM

Driving from Kelowna to Vancouver this time of year can be a roller coaster of seasons. :)

Kelowna

http://vuosiamaailmalla.fi/blog/wp-c...6/kelowna1.jpg

West Kelowna

http://vuosiamaailmalla.fi/blog/wp-c...6/kelowna2.jpg

Approaching the 1700 meter summit along Highway 97 Connector.

http://vuosiamaailmalla.fi/blog/wp-c...connector1.jpg

It's crazy how this highway has the limit of 120km/h throughout the winter!

http://vuosiamaailmalla.fi/blog/wp-c...connector2.jpg

http://vuosiamaailmalla.fi/blog/wp-c...connector3.jpg

Much less snow again when approaching Merritt.

http://vuosiamaailmalla.fi/blog/wp-c...connector4.jpg

And winter's back again along Coquihalla Highway.

http://vuosiamaailmalla.fi/blog/wp-c..._talvella1.jpg

http://vuosiamaailmalla.fi/blog/wp-c..._talvella2.jpg

Descending from the summit.

http://vuosiamaailmalla.fi/blog/wp-c..._talvella3.jpg

And it's spring nearby Chilliwack.

http://vuosiamaailmalla.fi/blog/wp-c..._mainland1.jpg

Klazu Feb 9, 2016 7:16 PM

On another note, I had not driven the new all four-lane Highway 97 from Kelowna to Vernon. It is very well done and has 100km/h limit throughout most of the route.

When are they planning to have the whole route from Vernon to Osoyoos four laned? Kelowna also needs a bypass.

Airboy Feb 9, 2016 7:56 PM

Looking at your photos I get an itch to drive out today, but will have to wait 2 months before I get to do the drive.

Klazu Feb 9, 2016 9:31 PM

Between Kelowna and Vancouver? It is not that exciting drive and one is just cruising with the cruise control set to 130km/h. Just watch out for those flying rocks...

I forgot to mention in my post, but I saw a wolf next to the road, but passed by so quickly that I barely realized it.


All times are GMT. The time now is 1:35 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.