SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   St. John's (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=700)
-   -   [St. John's] Retail Thread (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=198935)

elizabethf1985 Sep 8, 2019 2:38 PM

Agree.

jjavman Sep 8, 2019 6:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arrakis (Post 8677542)
Avalon Mall now has the remaining parking lot in front of the old Winners location closed to allow continuation of the new mall expansion.

On a side note. Perhaps Avalon Mall renovations and expansion deserves a separate thread of its own since it’s such a huge project. Some people are actually more interested in what’s happening at the mall than what’s goin up to Galway. Anyone else agree?

Agree!

wmemeadusjr Sep 10, 2019 10:56 AM

Avalon mall thread

I just started an Avalon Mall Thread

Arrakis Sep 10, 2019 4:47 PM

Thanks very much.

Quote:

Originally Posted by wmemeadusjr (Post 8682721)
I just started an Avalon Mall Thread

wmemeadusjr Sep 19, 2019 2:43 PM

Irving will open a gas bar and Circle K at the new Kenmount Business Park intersection. Most Irvings also include a national fast food franchise with a drive-thru attached to their building and even though this wasn't mentioned, I am assuming it will be included. Any guesses?

Also, I noticed that the Mount Pearl side of this intersection is nearly complete with sidewalks being poured and paving starting. I'm sure the traffic lights will be installed and activated soon as the infrastructure was pre-installed in the ground last fall.

Sox Sep 24, 2019 6:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wmemeadusjr (Post 8691938)
Irving will open a gas bar and Circle K at the new Kenmount Business Park intersection. Most Irvings also include a national fast food franchise with a drive-thru attached to their building and even though this wasn't mentioned, I am assuming it will be included. Any guesses?

Also, I noticed that the Mount Pearl side of this intersection is nearly complete with sidewalks being poured and paving starting. I'm sure the traffic lights will be installed and activated soon as the infrastructure was pre-installed in the ground last fall.

Trying to picture in my Head exactly where this is ?
Is this on Kenmount Road between Avalon Ford and Paradise Elizabeth Park ?

wmemeadusjr Sep 24, 2019 7:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sox (Post 8696825)
Trying to picture in my Head exactly where this is ?
Is this on Kenmount Road between Avalon Ford and Paradise Elizabeth Park ?

Yes, midway between.

Larla77 Sep 27, 2019 2:56 PM

Looks like the old Model Shop building downtown has been leased. Sign in the window says Isla and Sam's Shoes and Fashion.

Arrakis Sep 30, 2019 11:28 AM

For those on here that were always hoping for a Forever 21 would open in St. John’s will be disappointed to know they are closing all 44 Forever 21 stores in Canada as they are going through bankruptcy. Here’s a link to the story.
https://www.retail-insider.com/retai...anadian-stores

Sox Oct 3, 2019 5:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Larla77 (Post 8699939)
Looks like the old Model Shop building downtown has been leased. Sign in the window says Isla and Sam's Shoes and Fashion.

Damn it ! I was hoping for another Dollar store or maybe even a Tim Horton's !

jeddy1989 Oct 4, 2019 11:57 AM

A little bit of a teaser from The Telegram

Quote:

Will N.L. get an Ikea?

Maybe, maybe not
Was IKEA dangling a carrot to Newfoundland and Labrador customers, or just teasing a little?

The beloved Swedish retailer — whose nearest store is in Halifax, N.S., recently weighed in on St. John’s Facebook posters clamouring for a IKEA store in N.L. instead of just a collection point for shipping.

The IKEA comments hinted at a possible reversal of the long-held notion that IKEA would never locate an actual bricks and mortar store in this province because of the lack of minimum population to serve as a customer base. Some commenters acknowledged it’s a pipe dream, while others cited St. John’s now as the largest Costco in Canada, so an NL IKEA location should do well among trendy bargain hunting locals.

As posters suggested Stavanger Drive and Galway as possible locations, IKEA Canada posted of the Galway suggestion:

“That’s a great idea …. We are always trying to find new ways to be accessible to all our customers across Canada so an IKEA in Galway could be a possibility in the future! We will definitely be forwarding this feedback, so keep an eye out.”

In another comment, IKEA Canada said, “Your feedback for a new store opening in Newfoundland will be shared with the concerned department. You never know, it might happen one day. We’ll keep our fingers crossed for you. Have a nice day.”

The Galway development told The Telegram it can’t provide any info on any discussions with potential retailers, as it’s up to the retailers to announce their intentions.

Kristin Newbigging, public relations leader for IKEA Canada based in Burlington, Ont., told The Telegram via email that IKEA does not have any new expansion plans to share at this time, but did not outright say no.

“As all of our new touchpoints are still under negotiations it wouldn’t be fair to comment on which cities/locations,” Newbigging said.

IKEA has a collection point in St. John’s in which customers can pick up orders placed online at the retailer’s website for a flat-rate shipping cost of $79.

Collection points are not owned or operated by IKEA, nor are there products available for purchase at the collection points.

The collection points’ shipping rates vary across the country. For instance, Quebec’s collection points have a flat shipping rate of $49 for online customers, while B.C. collection point’s shipping rate is $79, the same as NL.

Ontario collection locations’ fees vary from $10-$39.

New Brunswick, Nova Scotia and PEI locations have a flat rate of $59, while IKEA online customers in Saskatchewan pay $99.
https://www.thetelegram.com/business...n-ikea-359922/

It's notable to point out that in the past when people would post to IKEA on FB about them opening a store here, their response has always been something along the lines of "we are always looking for new expansion opportunities however there isn't a plan for a NL store at the moment"

:shrug:

statbass Oct 4, 2019 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeddy1989 (Post 8706909)

It's notable to point out that in the past when people would post to IKEA on FB about them opening a store here, their response has always been something along the lines of "we are always looking for new expansion opportunities however there isn't a plan for a NL store at the moment"

Quote:

That’s a great idea …. We are always trying to find new ways to be accessible to all our customers across Canada so an IKEA in Galway could be a possibility in the future! We will definitely be forwarding this feedback, so keep an eye out.”
A quote from IKEA in the Telegram story. One could interpret that as a step in the right direction????

Larla77 Oct 4, 2019 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by statbass (Post 8706916)
A quote from IKEA in the Telegram story. One could interpret that as a step in the right direction????

Danny would love an IKEA in Galway. I've always thought this was planned to be one of those "new to Newfoundland" retailers that was touted when The Shoppes at Galway was first announced. I'm sure the Dewcor team continue to work on getting that to happen although I don't think it will be anytime soon.

Arrakis Oct 4, 2019 6:06 PM

Regardless of what many people say and crave for an IKEA store in St John’s...I’m convinced that IKEA would not succeed here with our small (and declining) population.

It’s not like Costco which which is general groceries and merchandise, IKEA is primarily just a furniture store. I’m sure if we did get one it would be super popular for about six months and then the novelty would wear off pretty quickly.

Plus Nova Scotia’s IKEA has the the benefit of a much larger population and the fact that province is attached to mainland Canada and nearby USA. We are separated here on an island which limits travelling to and from.

Perhaps a much smaller IKEA pickup and order store which was once mentioned as a new concept for them would make more sense for here. I

But a full size IKEA is just a pipe dream really in my opinion.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeddy1989 (Post 8706909)

jeddy1989 Oct 4, 2019 6:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arrakis (Post 8707267)
Regardless of what many people say and crave for an IKEA store in St John’s...I’m convinced that IKEA would not succeed here with our small (and declining) population.

It’s not like Costco which which is general groceries and merchandise, IKEA is primarily just a furniture store. I’m sure if we did get one it would be super popular for about six months and then the novelty would wear off pretty quickly.

Plus Nova Scotia’s IKEA has the the benefit of a much larger population and the fact that province is attached to mainland Canada and nearby USA. We are separated here on an island which limits travelling to and from.

Perhaps a much smaller IKEA pickup and order store which was once mentioned as a new concept for them would make more sense for here. I

But a full size IKEA is just a pipe dream really in my opinion.

I completely disagree. it doesn't take millions of people to support 1 cheap furniture store lol. I've been to a bunch in Europe in smaller cities than St. John's. ... Iceland even has one and their population is 200k less than NL.
The population base rule was part of their overseas expansion plan, which has clearly changed with one being in Halifax again.

Arrakis Oct 5, 2019 4:19 AM

Noted. But I stand by my opinion.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeddy1989 (Post 8707284)
I completely disagree. it doesn't take millions of people to support 1 cheap furniture store lol. I've been to a bunch in Europe in smaller cities than St. John's. ... Iceland even has one and their population is 200k less than NL.
The population base rule was part of their overseas expansion plan, which has clearly changed with one being in Halifax again.

Arrakis Oct 5, 2019 10:25 AM

Perhaps a smaller format IKEA could work here. Like is explained in the link blow...

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/ikea...190625237.html

statbass Oct 8, 2019 11:06 AM

I noticed this morning the sign is on the new Shopper's building in Paradise (next to Starbucks). I heard that the tentative opening date is mid to late November.

KDMusic Nov 3, 2019 1:44 AM

Anyone know whats going in the old Furniture Market spot on Kenmount? Noticed today that they've started renovating it and painting the outside blue and grey

IronMan Nov 3, 2019 8:03 PM

I heard that Giant Tiger is going to move into part of the former Target building on Stavanger Drive. Does anyone know anything about this?