SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   St. John's (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=700)
-   -   [St. John's] Retail Thread (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=198935)

wmemeadusjr Apr 26, 2019 5:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sctttmmy (Post 8553037)
The Sobey's store in Mt Pearl, across from Galway is currently under renovation. Dairy aisle is covered in large tarp

They are only replacing the coolers. Apparently, all the open air type coolers are being replaced with glass door type coolers. Kelsey Drive was just done. Things like butter, eggs, cheese, yogurt, etc will now be behind doors.

Offshore1 Apr 26, 2019 7:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wmemeadusjr (Post 8553417)
They are only replacing the coolers. Apparently, all the open air type coolers are being replaced with glass door type coolers. Kelsey Drive was just done. Things like butter, eggs, cheese, yogurt, etc will now be behind doors.

I noticed the change at Kelsey Drive, but I hadn't seen it actually take place - thought something was different alright.:koko:

The glass door coolers are more energy efficient presumably?

Tocchet22 May 3, 2019 10:51 AM

300 Kenmount Road

Looks to be some renovations happening on space previously occupied by Madison Mackensie (adjacent to Kelsey's restaurant). Anyone know whats moving into the space?

This property, managed by Redwood group of companies, looks to be close to fully leased.

Downtown_1 May 3, 2019 11:54 AM

I heard Proactive Physiotherapy along with a medical suite

wmemeadusjr May 8, 2019 10:41 PM

I'm hearing that Dollarama in the new Paradise Plaza is open.

Sox May 23, 2019 10:27 AM

This is Fantastic News !
It is so hard finding a Dollar store these days.
#Sarcasm

wmemeadusjr May 23, 2019 10:30 AM

And speaking of more dollar stores, the Great Canadian Dollar Store has taken over Piper's old space in Mount Pearl. They're starting to change the colours and signage and there's a "coming soon" sign.

Sox May 24, 2019 10:32 AM

I am SOOOOOO Pumped !!!
This has made me forget about all the crappy weather this week.
My life is now officially Complete.
The Great Canadian Dollar Store.........YESSSSSS ! Life could not be any better at this point.

Arrakis May 29, 2019 6:07 PM

Was always wondered why Sobeys was not investing any time with the upkeep of its Ropewalk Lane Store. It’s quite a run down dump of a store right now. I guess this is probably why...

https://www.thechronicleherald.ca/bu...e-deal-316568/

Arrakis Jun 3, 2019 5:16 PM

Drove past the the old Freshwater Road/Empire Ave. Shoppers Drug Mart and they now have the entire old building demolished to the ground.

NewfBC Jun 21, 2019 12:57 AM

Some Costco opening specials posted here...
http://forums.redflagdeals.com/costc...924/#p31074286

Ron.

wmemeadusjr Jun 28, 2019 10:53 AM

I posted this on the Galway Thread as well....

What is confirmed or being built in Galway besides Costco is Marshall's, Homesense, PetSmart, Michael's, Dollarama, Starbucks, Scotiabank, plus 5 other smaller places such as First Choice, a shoe store and a dance school.

Also, I just found out that Princess Auto will be opening up in Galway.
Unfortunately, they won't be going the route of Marshall's and PetSmart and making a duplicate store.....they will be going the route of Costco and uprooting from Stavanger.

statbass Jun 28, 2019 1:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wmemeadusjr (Post 8618604)
I posted this on the Galway Thread as well....

What is confirmed or being built in Galway besides Costco is Marshall's, Homesense, PetSmart, Michael's, Dollarama, Starbucks, Scotiabank, plus 5 other smaller places such as First Choice, a shoe store and a dance school.

Also, I just found out that Princess Auto will be opening up in Galway.
Unfortunately, they won't be going the route of Marshall's and PetSmart and making a duplicate store.....they will be going the route of Costco and uprooting from Stavanger.

Hmmm, hypothetically speaking here... say many stores on Stavanger decide to uproot and follow Costco to Galway. I see this as a prime opportunity for Stavanger Dr. to bring in some new retail and re-morph itself as a premier retail area.

I said this before; however I preface this by saying I have no "inside information", but I think Stavanger is in a transition period and it will see overall positive changes. Stavanger in 10 years or so will probably be very different than today, but's that not a bad thing.

wmemeadusjr Jun 28, 2019 5:38 PM

A cool idea but probably not feasible here would be for some company to buy Costco and Target and join them together and make an enclosed outlet mall.

I did here a long while ago that U-Haul has purchased the Costco building to create a rental/storage superstore.

Pearlie_Steve Jul 9, 2019 9:51 PM

I recently heard that the new Winners,in the Avalon Mall,is going to open August 6. Nothing official,I heard it from a relative who is a big Winners shopper.

wmemeadusjr Jul 10, 2019 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pearlie_Steve (Post 8628126)
I recently heard that the new Winners,in the Avalon Mall,is going to open August 6. Nothing official,I heard it from a relative who is a big Winners shopper.

I heard this as well. August 6th for Winners & Homesense at the Avalon Mall and August 27 for Marshall's & Homesense at Galway.

KDMusic Jul 11, 2019 12:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wmemeadusjr (Post 8628511)
I heard this as well. August 6th for Winners & Homesense at the Avalon Mall and August 27 for Marshall's & Homesense at Galway.

Winners does indeed open August 6th (one of my friends was hired for the new store) and it's supposedly the biggest Winners in Canada.

detroitdan1982 Jul 21, 2019 6:19 PM

Has anyone heard about a new Orangetheory Fitness location opening up? I saw that their Facebook page is now titled Orangetheory St. John’s East. I also saw a tweet from Terry Hart at VOCM mentioning an expansion. I know that Brad Gushue and Mark Nichols just opened one in the Halifax area. It made me think that they may be looking to open a second one here, preferably in the Kenmount Road area! But I would assume if there is a new one that it would probably be near Galway. Any info out there?

Larla77 Jul 29, 2019 1:37 PM

Mountain Warehouse advertising for a store manager for a new store in St. John's. I would assume it'll be in the mall but not sure. Galway hasn't announced them for up there although I guess Stavanger would be an option as well. They are also opening a store in New Brunswick. For anyone not familiar its an outdoor store with some great prices. I have a few things I picked up at one of their stores in the Toronto area. They seem to open in malls and outlet centres.

wmemeadusjr Jul 30, 2019 10:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Larla77 (Post 8644256)
Mountain Warehouse advertising for a store manager for a new store in St. John's. I would assume it'll be in the mall but not sure. Galway hasn't announced them for up there although I guess Stavanger would be an option as well. They are also opening a store in New Brunswick. For anyone not familiar its an outdoor store with some great prices. I have a few things I picked up at one of their stores in the Toronto area. They seem to open in malls and outlet centres.

I'm a big fan of Mountain Warehouse. I visit them when I'm in the Toronto area. They are a British based store who have barely cracked the North America market. To describe them I would have to say Mark's clothing with Old Navy's prices. They would be a good fit for Galway or the Avalon Mall but I'd bet my money on the Avalon Mall. Time will tell.