SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   St. John's (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=700)
-   -   [St. John's] Retail Thread (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=198935)

Arrakis Nov 23, 2018 9:18 PM

All the mall chain stores are pretty much the same. Though H&M and Forever 21 seem to have and huge following based on what people on here who are always raving about it and also on social media. They are obviously a draw whether you like them or not.

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewfBC (Post 8388572)
Those stores are garbage! :)

Wish for a Uniqlo!

Ron.

goodgrowth Nov 24, 2018 9:05 PM

Is it just me or has that retail strip adjacent to Kelsey's on Kenmount Rd. been pretty much vacant since it's been there...

It' been there for a few years now hasn't it?

NewfBC Nov 25, 2018 7:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arrakis (Post 8388628)
All the mall chain stores are pretty much the same. Though H&M and Forever 21 seem to have and huge following based on what people on here who are always raving about it and also on social media. They are obviously a draw whether you like them or not.

True.. though people are always raving about Taco Bell as well.. that doesn't say much. :)

Ron.

Marty_Mcfly Nov 25, 2018 1:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewfBC (Post 8389741)
True.. though people are always raving about Taco Bell as well.. that doesn't say much. :)

Ron.

Dear God, friggin' Taco Bell.

Larla77 Nov 26, 2018 5:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by goodgrowth (Post 8389443)
Is it just me or has that retail strip adjacent to Kelsey's on Kenmount Rd. been pretty much vacant since it's been there...

It' been there for a few years now hasn't it?

A few years for sure. Madison McKenzie and Healthquest seem to the only stores in there

statbass Nov 26, 2018 5:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Larla77 (Post 8390382)
A few years for sure. Madison McKenzie and Healthquest seem to the only stores in there

My wife told me (I think she may have read a tweet) that Madison MacKenzie have plans to relocate. Unsubstantiated, of course, but that's what I heard. A possibility that, in due time, there will only be one store in the plaza. I wonder if high rent may be an issue????

BruceChafe Nov 26, 2018 6:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by statbass (Post 8390465)
My wife told me (I think she may have read a tweet) that Madison MacKenzie have plans to relocate. Unsubstantiated, of course, but that's what I heard. A possibility that, in due time, there will only be one store in the plaza. I wonder if high rent may be an issue????

Not sure if this is what you’re referring to, but Madison MacKenzie just move a week or two ago to another location in the same building.

Arrakis Nov 26, 2018 6:27 PM

Madison MacKensie which had on of the larger spaces seems to be moving directly next door into what looks like a smaller store. It’s been renovated with Madison’s Corp colours of that purplish pink facade which makes it jump out more when you are driving by.

My issue with that strip mall is location. It’s kinda awkward and a little dangerous getting in and out of the parking lot. When entering their parking lot heading west on Kenmount, I think most drivers assume you are gonna be turning onto Kelsey Drive so rear end collsions seems to be more of a threat there.

Quote:

Originally Posted by statbass (Post 8390465)

statbass Nov 26, 2018 6:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BruceChafe (Post 8390514)
Not sure if this is what you’re referring to, but Madison MacKenzie just move a week or two ago to another location in the same building.

That was the move... my apologies. I thought they were relocating somewhere else. Thanks for the clarification.

Tocchet22 Nov 28, 2018 12:35 PM

Fog City Re-location

Quote:

Originally Posted by KDMusic (Post 8388022)
Some interesting things I found from those links:

- The new Winners currently has an opening date of August 1st 2019
- The construction is being divided into three zones/phases
ZONE 1: New Winners + a few other new retail spaces leading to the new Winners
ZONE 2: Expansion of mall in front of Old Sears (Starting construction Winter/Spring 2019)
ZONE 3: Expansion of mall in front of current CIBC/Starbucks/Winners entrances
- The mall will gain 31,200 square feet of space when all is done (+ Sears space + Winners old space)
- And, one image seemed to show a set of stairs or escalators in the new expansion...? (https://imgur.com/a/OHD8TmL)

Great find!

Don't see anything on proposed re-location of Fog City to stand alone building in parking lot?? Area I would have thought it would go shows "Future Retail Pad".

Arrakis Nov 28, 2018 4:12 PM

Perhaps Fog City has realized its sorta a lost cause to build a stand alone restaurant outside of the mall when Cineplex are building a huge indoor restaurant and entertainment mecca next door to its cinemas called the Rec Room. Plus there are so many other competitive options along Kenmount Road.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tocchet22 (Post 8392504)
Great find!

Don't see anything on proposed re-location of Fog City to stand alone building in parking lot?? Area I would have thought it would go shows "Future Retail Pad".

barter Nov 29, 2018 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barter (Post 8121670)
Re Avalon Mall

Heard that Winners is moving to the old Sears space once irs renovated, and H&M is going into the old Wimmers space

Quote:

Originally Posted by KDMusic (Post 8121674)
Pretty sure that is very very wrong. It has been basically confirmed that the Mall's plans for that space are to extend the mall into part of the old Sears space, and Crombie REIT's website now mentions that they also intend on demolishing another part of it and then extending out towards Kenmount Road. The Winners space would also be way too big for just H&M

I posted here back in March that Winners was moving to Sears space and H&M was going into the space the Winners was located.

NewfBC Nov 29, 2018 3:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barter (Post 8393676)
I posted here back in March that Winners was moving to Sears space and H&M was going into the space the Winners was located.

The Winners space is 42k sq ft. That's a little large for the average H&M. Maybe they'll divide it.

Ron.

CBSNewbie Dec 2, 2018 1:41 AM

Today I went to the Avalon Mall and decided to try and park in the new Parking Garage. All I have to say is that it is a complete NIGHTMARE. The lighting is poor and with it being dark the arrows are very hard to see. The corners are very tight and with the garage having to entrances it causes the traffic to have no real flow. Traffic is going in every direction with no stop signs no one has any idea who moves. The lower level was full but I could not find my way to the second level so I drove out of the garage and parked in the lot next to the parking garage. Also, having no left turn advanced green makes it very difficult to get into the main mall marking lot off of O'Leary. Someone has dropped the ball on this construction.

goodgrowth Dec 2, 2018 3:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CBSNewbie (Post 8396469)
Today I went to the Avalon Mall and decided to try and park in the new Parking Garage. All I have to say is that it is a complete NIGHTMARE. The lighting is poor and with it being dark the arrows are very hard to see. The corners are very tight and with the garage having to entrances it causes the traffic to have no real flow. Traffic is going in every direction with no stop signs no one has any idea who moves. The lower level was full but I could not find my way to the second level so I drove out of the garage and parked in the lot next to the parking garage. Also, having no left turn advanced green makes it very difficult to get into the main mall marking lot off of O'Leary. Someone has dropped the ball on this construction.

Yeah it's not ideal. I think it has a lot to do with the fact that unlike most parking garages which are perfectly square...this one is not.

Arrakis Dec 7, 2018 7:04 PM

Well that was no surprise. Costco moves its opening to spring 2019.

http://vocm.com/news/costco-move-del...l-spring-2019/

Arrakis Dec 7, 2018 7:11 PM

Well another retail giant comes to an end in Newfoundland. RONA shuts down Jan27. . I’m most curious what might end up in RONA’s building on Torbay Road. It’s still pretty much a brand new building. Hope it doesn’t sit empty like the Target building at Stavanger.

http://vocm.com/news/local-rona-stor...-closing-date/

wmemeadusjr Dec 10, 2018 5:41 PM

I used the new Avalon Mall parking garage this weekend past and I am not a fan. It was like an obstacle course. The turns were pretty tight, especially with 2-way traffic and watching for pedestrians. It was a tricky spot in an SUV. If I were driving a pickup, I'd park outside. As for access to the mall, that part was great. There are elevators and escalators and signage is good. The renovated part of the mall also looks great with the new floors. The ceilings look awesome. The look is very bright and modern.

statbass Dec 10, 2018 6:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wmemeadusjr (Post 8404139)
I used the new Avalon Mall parking garage this weekend past and I am not a fan. It was like an obstacle course. The turns were pretty tight, especially with 2-way traffic and watching for pedestrians. It was a tricky spot in an SUV. If I were driving a pickup, I'd park outside. As for access to the mall, that part was great. There are elevators and escalators and signage is good. The renovated part of the mall also looks great with the new floors. The ceilings look awesome. The look is very bright and modern.

I used the parking garage as well and I must agree, the turns are really tight and there didn't seem to be a lot of signage, not that I noticed at least. I have been in worse parking garages though... not saying that makes it any better... :). I also agree on your other points. Access to the mall is nice and laid out. The interior renovations really brighten up the space and makes it look modern. Definitely needed, that mall used to be so dark and dingy.

Arrakis Dec 24, 2018 5:37 PM

Just noticed in the job listings that LUSH Cosmetics national chain are opening a location in Avalon Mall. Wasn’t there a store downtown called Lush but wasn’t a cosmetic store?

https://boards.greenhouse.io/lush/jo..._src=ad1a1b2b1