SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Southwest (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=643)
-   -   Southwest Coffee Talk (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=173766)

combusean Sep 22, 2009 6:06 AM

Southwest Coffee Talk

In lieu of non development discussions to start this thread, I'm going to be lame and start an icebreaker.

I'm 27 and live in downtown Phoenix, attend school at ASU and MCC for music geography and piano performance, respectively. You?

HooverDam Sep 22, 2009 7:53 AM

Im 25 and live in Maple Ash in Tempe. I work on TV shows and movies doing a variety of shit as you must in this market. I also tell jokes to strangers in bars, you can see that here. I haven't had a date in 2009---oh wait, thats probably an over share.

bwonger06 Sep 22, 2009 8:21 AM

Hi Everybody, I am an alcohol who drinks because I think the world is a complete and utter... this is an AAA meeting right?

Oh :haha:

I am 21, student, finance (wp carey), real estate agent/enthusiast/acquisition analyst. Hope to be a developer some day (wwaaayyyyyy down the road), probably around 40, but need more experience first.

And Hoover do you know a Gary who also performs at the Comedy Spot?

HX_Guy Sep 22, 2009 8:57 AM

28...live in NW Phoenix, way far from downtown. :P My (now) wife and I own an advertising magazine in the NW Valley (www.supersavingsmagazine.com free plug! :D ) and also a print, design, and photography company.

...and I said "(now) wife" because we just got married 2 weekends ago. It's been a CRAZY past few weeks.

SethAZ Sep 22, 2009 1:37 PM

Congrtats HX guy. :)

I'm 27, live about a mile from downtown Tempe. ASU grad 2006. I write a lot about downtown Phoenix and Tempe in various blogs/social media. I'm auditioning to play piano in a new production of Hedwig and the Angry Inch. :) And I'm starting to get more involved with historic preservation. I read this board a lot, but don't post a lot.

TAZ4ate0 Sep 22, 2009 3:22 PM

Indeed, congrats HX guy. :yes:

I'm 28. I live a stones throw from the eastern edge of the ASU Campus in Tempe. I have returned to ASU to complete my bachelor's degree (MIS Major) after a two year hiatus. Previously, I owned a small landscape and design company. My favorite hobby is bass fishing. Coming in a close second is photography, especially urban photography.

Tito714 Sep 22, 2009 4:32 PM

I'm 18. I live in Maryvale. Currently an Architecture student at ASU.

PHXguyinOKC Sep 22, 2009 5:17 PM

I'm 26, live in Midwest City, OK. I'm a Staff Sergeant in the Air Force and I can't wait to get out of Oklahoma and back to Phoenix.

NorthScottsdale Sep 22, 2009 5:52 PM

I'm 21, live in North Scottsdale, way far from downtown. Want to move more central but am kinda stuck at the moment. I go to University of Phoenix and am a year away from my Psychology degree. I am currently a Librarian. I play the piano and run a lot. And spend too much time getting f-ed up at whatever gay bar i'm at on any given night.

Also, congrats HX Guy! Good luck to you guys!

HooverDam Sep 22, 2009 6:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bwonger06 (Post 4468042)
\
And Hoover do you know a Gary who also performs at the Comedy Spot?

Whats his last name?

Classical in Phoenix Sep 22, 2009 7:10 PM

Wow, I feel totally old at 44. I live close to old town Scottsdale, and work in a highrise in mid-town for a family investment company that lends money to developers and invests in real estate.

JKPhx Sep 22, 2009 7:39 PM

I am 20 and live in Central Phoenix. I am a second year student at the University of Oregon and a Landscape Architecture major.

I do not post much but have followed this sight for years...It is great to listen to you guys when I am up at school so I can still see what is going on in my beloved hometown.

HX_Guy Sep 22, 2009 8:01 PM

Thanks for all the congrats guys. :)

Can I post up some wedding photos? I just got them from the photographer.
These are just a few...you can see more on a quick site I put up at www.valiandlavi.com (75 of 985 photos up on there :P )

http://www.valiandlavi.com/Wedding/Picture%2072.png

http://www.valiandlavi.com/Wedding/Picture%203.png

http://www.valiandlavi.com/Wedding/Picture%2039.png

http://www.valiandlavi.com/Wedding/Picture%206.png

http://www.valiandlavi.com/Wedding/Picture%2021.png

http://www.valiandlavi.com/Wedding/Picture%2044.png

http://www.valiandlavi.com/Wedding/Picture%2062.png

http://www.valiandlavi.com/Wedding/Picture%2069.png

Jsmscaleros Sep 22, 2009 9:25 PM

I'm 23, a first year master in design student at ASU, and I live within stumbling distance of Casey Moore's. I'm also a jazz drummer - go to Three Roots cafe on Oct. 2nd to hear my trio if you like (and sit in on a tune if you play).

BTW adorable wedding photos - your wife is a babe (if you don't mind me saying).

HooverDam Sep 22, 2009 10:02 PM

Where's that church at? The inside of it looks really cool.

Vicelord John Sep 22, 2009 10:27 PM

I'm gonna be a lame ass with you guys and introduce myself to a room full of people who already know me.

I'm 24, I live downtown and I work at the premier boutique resort in the area as a concierge and guest recognition. I have two motorcycles, one fast and one slow, and a baller status '99 buick regal. I work part time in the adult industry which is where a majority of my income stems from, no I don't act. I also do consulting and marketing with local restaurants. This is a new endeavor I have started which has been very fruitful to me so far. I have little to or no education and it shows from my incoherent postings.

Photography, anything wilderness related or redneck associated, golf, traveling, dining, and firearms are my favorite hobbies.

If anyone needs to know anything about Phoenix or Arizona, I probably know, and I'm more than happy to share.

HX_Guy Sep 22, 2009 10:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HooverDam (Post 4469042)
Where's that church at? The inside of it looks really cool.

It's off of 37th Ave and Behrend (35th Ave & 101) in the NW Valley.

This is how the exterior looks...

http://www.arizonaro.com/stjohn/Imag...ront_Small.jpg

bwonger06 Sep 23, 2009 5:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HooverDam (Post 4468654)
Whats his last name?

Linhart. The guy is my boss...

SunDevil Sep 23, 2009 5:49 AM

28, failed law student (probably for the better) live with my friend at 35th Ave and Northern until I restructure my crushing student loan debt. Currently employed at Dept. of Veterans Affairs. Don't post too much but I visit everyday.

HooverDam Sep 23, 2009 6:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bwonger06 (Post 4469762)
Linhart. The guy is my boss...

Hm nope, doesn't sound familiar. But to tell the truth I have a terrible memory for names and such. Especially males, I figure I have enough male friends so I often pay very little attention when I meet new males because I'm a terrible person.

Tempe_Duck Sep 23, 2009 7:04 AM

I am 24, ASU BIS Student, Business and Informatics, I am a 6th year senior. I changed my major about 5 or 6 times, I can't even remember anymore. I am currently working as an IT Director at a local telecommunications company. I live in the Clark Park area of Tempe and frequent Mill and Casey Moore's a lot. I love sports, Football, Baseball and Basketball.

Oh, I despise U of A and Tucson by extension. Go Devils.

nickkoto Sep 23, 2009 8:05 AM

I'm 35, live in NE Tempe (University/Price area), got laid off last year, and I had no interest in looking for a job in this market. So I'm currently attending ASU as an accounting major, enjoying it quite a bit.

combusean Sep 23, 2009 11:45 AM

Wow, everyone's coming out of the woodwork :)

admdavid Sep 23, 2009 7:42 PM

I'm 40, living in San Diego (Hillcrest neighborhood), born & raised in Mesa, graduated from ASU in History, working in software development. Huge D'backs and Suns fan! Also, supergeek (Star Wars/Star Trek fan, fantasy/fiction reader...can't wait for the next Wheel of Time book, D&D, etc.).

Keepin' tabs on my hometown, hoping it can turn into the world class city that it has the potential to become.

Vicelord John Sep 23, 2009 8:02 PM

Adamdavid, ever go to mama testa?

admdavid Sep 23, 2009 11:09 PM

Hell, yeah! That's some good food! Tons of good places to eat within walking distance of my place. Love San Diego! :)

Vicelord John Sep 23, 2009 11:22 PM

yeah, it's funny that the biggest thing I look forward to about going to San Diego is actually being able to find decent Mexican food... it makes ours look ridiculously bad. I'm taking my girl there on Monday and she has never been. We have a lot planned already but if you have any secrets you want to let me in on, I'm all ears.

And Mama Testa is amazing, been going there since it was new. Yucateca tacos and a ton of tomatillo salsa (seperately) FTW!

Teacher_AZ_84 Sep 24, 2009 2:05 AM

I am 25 and a 5th generation Arizonan. I have my master's degree in education and teach high school government. I do not post much, but I am always reading.

This icebreaker always excite seniors. :sly:

combusean Sep 24, 2009 3:44 AM

Fifth generation! Wow. Is your last name on anything cool? ;) I'm almost a native at 24 years here, and it's quite rare that I've met anyone that's lived here longer.

what kind of software development do you do adm?

Vicelord John Sep 24, 2009 3:47 AM

I'm almost 25 and a native. I even have a phoenix bird/arizona flag tattooed on my calf

Tfom Sep 24, 2009 4:03 AM

I'm 31 and I teach middle school math, I live in Fairview. I like Photography too but I have done almost nothing that is urban... so sorry.

dencity Sep 24, 2009 4:26 AM

Dencity Intro

I’m 40…but I feel like I’m 20 something. I have enjoyed reading your blog very much. I moved here from Chicago first to go to U of A but then fell in love with Phoenix (who would think…93rd best place to live). Worked for a Landscape Architecture/Land Planning firm for a dozen years or so here then decided to go out on my own and start a cool, modern, hip, edgy and urban development firm called Urban Dencity. Came up with some cool plans, awesome business partners and some got great mid-town dirt right off the lightrail…then the roof caved in. Oh well…at least we didn’t start construction. If we did…I’d be living in my Moms garage in Michigan with my wife, two kids and two dogs.

Tempe_Duck Sep 24, 2009 4:40 AM

I have lived here since 1990, moved when I was 5. So I am almost a native.

vertex Sep 24, 2009 5:52 PM

Married, 43, living near DT Tempe, but may be moving near DT Chandler in a month (in escrow).

I knew there were a few Tempe folk here, but not this many. I may have even bumped into a few of you at Casey Moore's.

admdavid Sep 24, 2009 6:12 PM

My family has been in the PHX area since the late 1880's...let's see, I guess I'm fifth generation, too.

admdavid Sep 24, 2009 6:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vicelord John (Post 4471156)
yeah, it's funny that the biggest thing I look forward to about going to San Diego is actually being able to find decent Mexican food... it makes ours look ridiculously bad. I'm taking my girl there on Monday and she has never been. We have a lot planned already but if you have any secrets you want to let me in on, I'm all ears.

And Mama Testa is amazing, been going there since it was new. Yucateca tacos and a ton of tomatillo salsa (seperately) FTW!

Just a few restaurants to consider...The Tractor Room (Hillcrest...amazing food, great cocktails), Cafe Chloe (French bistro Downtown), Mister A's (rooftop restaurant in Bankers Hill with views of Balboa Park, the bay, downtown), too many places in the Gaslamp to mention.

PHX31 Sep 24, 2009 6:32 PM

I'm 30, live in Coronado, and I'm a native. I went to ASU main, graduated in '03 with a civil engineering degree and currently work for a small engineering firm on the north end limits of the Willo neighborhood (work extremely close to where I was born... St. Joe's). I lived in the Maple-Ash neighborhood for a while when I went to ASU... in a renovated detatched garage about 3-4 blocks from Casey Moore's.

Teacher_AZ_84 Sep 25, 2009 1:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by combusean (Post 4471610)
Fifth generation! Wow. Is your last name on anything cool? ;) I'm almost a native at 24 years here, and it's quite rare that I've met anyone that's lived here longer.

what kind of software development do you do adm?

No, our last name is not on anything cool. Though we have some real neat stories that have been passed on about AZ past.

Teacher_AZ_84 Sep 25, 2009 1:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tfom (Post 4471641)
I'm 31 and I teach middle school math, I live in Fairview. I like Photography too but I have done almost nothing that is urban... so sorry.

I taught middle school last year and don't mind it at all. That shocks a lot of people. Seniors are fairly easy, but many have already "checked" out.

Teacher_AZ_84 Sep 25, 2009 1:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by admdavid (Post 4472512)
My family has been in the PHX area since the late 1880's...let's see, I guess I'm fifth generation, too.

I wouldn't be surprised if our forefathers crossed pathes at one point in history.

PhxPavilion Sep 26, 2009 12:02 AM

27, graduated from ASU in 05, work downtown doing theatrical productions and live a couple miles away.

mwadswor Sep 27, 2009 7:13 PM

Looks like I'm a couple days late, but I'll introduce myself anyway.

I'm 22 and live in Tempe (McClintock and Southern). I just graduated from ASU with a double major in history and global studies and am in the process of applying to law school next year. I currently work part-time in IT for a home construction company, but I'm always looking for another part-time job or an actual full-time job (and shamelessly inform anyone who might be able to help me :) ). I just recently started posting, but I've followed this forum for years.

Btw Combusean, I was a music major at ASU for a bit, but I've never heard of music geography. What is that?

Leo the Dog Sep 28, 2009 4:47 PM

I'm 29. ASU grad. Studied Sociology and Geography (my degree is in Geography). I took some really awesome urban studies courses related to these fields that I'm sure everyone here would love.

I'm an Eastcoaster who sees the frustrating potential Phoenix has yet to take advantage of. This page has great ideas/visions of what PHX could some day become and the construction updates by the formers keep me coming back for more.

PHX31 Sep 28, 2009 9:49 PM

For anyone interested... Jana Bommersbach, the author of "The Trunk Murderess: Winne Ruth Judd", will be reading from her book tomorrow night at Lisa G's. I think there are a few forumers that have mentioned this crime before.

http://ow.ly/rrdp

Strange Meat Sep 28, 2009 9:52 PM

i partied out of ASU in 01/02!

combusean Sep 28, 2009 11:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mwadswor (Post 4477455)
Looks like I'm a couple days late, but I'll introduce myself anyway.

I'm 22 and live in Tempe (McClintock and Southern). I just graduated from ASU with a double major in history and global studies and am in the process of applying to law school next year. I currently work part-time in IT for a home construction company, but I'm always looking for another part-time job or an actual full-time job (and shamelessly inform anyone who might be able to help me :) ). I just recently started posting, but I've followed this forum for years.

Btw Combusean, I was a music major at ASU for a bit, but I've never heard of music geography. What is that?

It's an interdisciplinary major--you pick two concentrations and you work them together in a two year program with the BIS prefix like BIS201. It's mostly music history classes, concert attendance, a notation class, nothing too difficult. I think every class from the music side of things is online.

oliveurban Sep 29, 2009 5:58 AM

I'm also late to this. Proud native here, age 28. Born at St. Joe's, grew up in Arcadia. Begrudgingly ended up attending high school in East Mesa (Mountain View HS) after parents messy divorce. Besides one fall semester in New York back in 2002, I've lived in the Phoenix area all of my life. Now living in Tempe, but hoping to move back to central Phoenix in the coming year.

I'm a college dropout. Started with Urban Studies, ended up in Journalism, now living with the debts of financial aid. Worked in the hotel industry for several years (Clarendon Hotel, Hotel Valley Ho). Sort of took me awhile to find an avenue in life. Currently I write freelance, contributing to several blogs/online media, as well as a few magazines. Trying to further a career in writing. Hope to finish a book someday that I've been messing around with for years now. Besides architecture, transportation, urban planning and so on, my main interests revolve around food, cooking, dining, restaurants, etc.

Anyway, been a forum member for a long time now. Used to post a lot more than I have in recent years, but I still read/observe nearly everyday.

Vicelord John Sep 29, 2009 3:10 PM

You worked at the ho?! What'd ya' do?

PHX31 Sep 30, 2009 3:46 AM

I went to the restaurant that used to be Vineyard 214 (on Roosevelt at Roosevelt Square) tonight. The guy changed the menu and the name of the restaurant... it's now Bambino Bistro. They have full meals now, not tapas. Brick oven pizzas, paninis, and now a large mussels menu. It was delicious food. The mussels were very good (you get 1 lb and as much bread as you want) and there are quite a few different types of broths the mussels come in. My gf had the classic kind, but another patron had the thai kind, which was in a semi-spicy coconut broth and he said they were really good. I'd recommend it if you can get over the weirdness of the place. You kind of order at the counter and sit down and they kind of bring you your food and serve you, but not really. It's a bit weird/awkward. You still get free sangria. I'll be going back to sit on the patio. The patio is really pretty cool/nice. Oh yeah, and very reasonable prices. A nice mussels meal and very large panini with side salad and free sangria for drinking = $21.

NorthScottsdale Sep 30, 2009 5:14 PM

I don't know about anyone else, but i am LOVING this weather. This is the time of year that the weather gets gorgeous here! Also, I just got back from San Francisco for Folsom Street Fair... was a blast and SF really gets me depressed about Phoenix.. I'll post a couple pics soon.. If we could only be half of what SF is...