SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Southwest (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=643)
-   -   Southwest Coffee Talk (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=173766)

phxSUNSfan Jul 31, 2011 11:58 PM

I haven't been in a while, but how about Sing High? Last time I went food was good.

exit2lef Aug 1, 2011 4:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nickw252 (Post 5365003)
Anyone want to recommend a good Chinese restaurant in central/downtown Phoenix. As much as I love Pei Wei I'd like to try some local places.

I'd definitely recommend China Chili. Good specials & "secret menu" with items beyond the usual American Chinese fare.

Sing High is a place I can recommend only for its history & kitsch. The food has never impressed me.

For Asian tapas, many with Chinese influences, you might also want to try Sens on 1st St.

Vicelord John Aug 1, 2011 2:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by exit2lef (Post 5365249)
I'd definitely recommend China Chili. Good specials & "secret menu" with items beyond the usual American Chinese fare.

Sing High is a place I can recommend only for its history & kitsch. The food has never impressed me.

For Asian tapas, many with Chinese influences, you might also want to try Sens on 1st St.

I'll co sign on the china chili recommend.

Vicelord John Aug 1, 2011 2:12 PM

Mu shu on 15/Thomas is great as well

pbenjamin Aug 1, 2011 5:40 PM

Another vote for China Chili.

westbev93 Aug 1, 2011 7:23 PM

My Chinese coworkers all say that South China (7th Ave and the canal) is the most best Chinese food in town. However, you need someone who knows Chinese to get that menu. Otherwise, you are eating more standard Americanized fare. China Chili is also good, but again, you are best served having a non-pale face with you.

HooverDam Aug 2, 2011 12:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by exit2lef (Post 5365249)

I didn't know China Chili had a secret menu....that place is tasty though.

I once took a Korean (American, just of Korean decent) gal there that I was dating once and they all started speaking to her Chinese and even gave her a menu in Chinese. I thought the Asians would be able to tell the various Nationalities apart but I guess its as mysterious to them as it is to whitey.

exit2lef Aug 2, 2011 1:35 PM

I'm probably exaggerating a little by calling it a "secret menu," but at China Chili, look for the hand written sheet with specials instead of relying just on the standard menu.

Here's a mini-review of Sing High from last week:

http://blogs.phoenixnewtimes.com/bel...ey_house_c.php

Sadly, I must agree. This is the type of place that has a lot of charm as one of the few remnants of Phoenix's long-gone Chinatown. I'd love to see someone buy it, get a liquor license, and hire a great chef to turn it around.

PHX31 Aug 12, 2011 7:53 PM

Thought some of you might be interested in this: I came across a couple old photographs of some interesting points in Phoenix's history..

Burning of the original St. Joseph's Hospital:

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i2...rep/photo2.jpg

If you look closely, you can see some fire fighting equipment and people running in and out of the hospital carrying bed frames and stuff.

Burning of the original Hotel Adams:
http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i2...rep/photo3.jpg

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i2...ep/photo-1.jpg

I want to say both events happened in 1917, but one may have been 1914, the other 1917. I can't remember.

Sorry the quality kind of sucks, the fire pictures are pictures of photocopies of the original photos.

dtnphx Aug 12, 2011 11:27 PM

Bianco to offer pizza at second midtown Phoenix location
by Howard Seftel - Aug. 12, 2011

Don't want to wait two or three hours to get pizza at Pizzeria Bianco? By October, you'll have an alternative.

James Beard Award-winner Chris Bianco will soon be sliding pizzas out of his oven at another location. He's signed a lease to take over the old Lux Coffee Bar, which is next to his midtown Phoenix sandwich shop, Pane Bianco. (Lux moved a few yards south into larger quarters and became Lux Central on August 8.) Along with pizza, Bianco's new spot will also be offering two or three daily dinner specials.

And the wait may get shorter at Pizzeria Bianco for another reason: starting Aug. 15, Pizzeria Bianco will be open on Mondays, from 11 a.m. to 10 p.m.

Bianco is also about to go international. In a story first reported by Britain's "Morning Advertiser," Bianco has teamed up with British superstar chef Jamie Oliver to form Union Jacks, a project that Bianco calls "a cool, cool thing." While he won't yet provide the details, the restaurant's job posting website calls Union Jacks a place "where wood-fired flatbreads meet great British flavours."

The website continues: "Our incredible flatbreads and wood-fired cooking methods nod to traditions that are universally loved, and nearly all the ingredients for the toppings are unabashedly local." The flagship site is scheduled to open in the posh Holborn area of London (near the British Museum) in October 2011.

There are no plans to open Union Jacks in Arizona.

http://www.azcentral.com/thingstodo/...er-london.html

hrivas Aug 13, 2011 1:19 AM

The Adams Hotel burned down in 1910.
Where did you get the picture of the building. Its a really good photo.

Vicelord John Aug 13, 2011 3:45 AM

It's the beginning of Bianco Hut. I wonder if he will do a buffet at lunch.

Quote:

Originally Posted by dtnphx (Post 5377664)
Bianco to offer pizza at second midtown Phoenix location
by Howard Seftel - Aug. 12, 2011

Don't want to wait two or three hours to get pizza at Pizzeria Bianco? By October, you'll have an alternative.

James Beard Award-winner Chris Bianco will soon be sliding pizzas out of his oven at another location. He's signed a lease to take over the old Lux Coffee Bar, which is next to his midtown Phoenix sandwich shop, Pane Bianco. (Lux moved a few yards south into larger quarters and became Lux Central on August 8.) Along with pizza, Bianco's new spot will also be offering two or three daily dinner specials.

And the wait may get shorter at Pizzeria Bianco for another reason: starting Aug. 15, Pizzeria Bianco will be open on Mondays, from 11 a.m. to 10 p.m.

Bianco is also about to go international. In a story first reported by Britain's "Morning Advertiser," Bianco has teamed up with British superstar chef Jamie Oliver to form Union Jacks, a project that Bianco calls "a cool, cool thing." While he won't yet provide the details, the restaurant's job posting website calls Union Jacks a place "where wood-fired flatbreads meet great British flavours."

The website continues: "Our incredible flatbreads and wood-fired cooking methods nod to traditions that are universally loved, and nearly all the ingredients for the toppings are unabashedly local." The flagship site is scheduled to open in the posh Holborn area of London (near the British Museum) in October 2011.

There are no plans to open Union Jacks in Arizona.

http://www.azcentral.com/thingstodo/...er-london.html

SunDevil Aug 14, 2011 12:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vicelord John (Post 5377861)
It's the beginning of Bianco Hut. I wonder if he will do a buffet at lunch.

Just wait until buffet's become the new food trucks. Bianco will be looked upon as a pioneer

HooverDam Aug 22, 2011 2:11 PM

Not that anyone cares but, it seems that I've talked my GF into moving back to Phoenix! When our lease expires in June here in Boston it looks like we'll head back west. She wants to transfer her credits from the pricey BU to the more cost effective ASU and I may enroll at ASU as well and finish out a degree, likely in Urban Planning or in their Urban & Metropolitan Studies program.

Now to find an apartment between Camelback, 7th St, 3rd Ave & Missouri...

Don B. Aug 22, 2011 2:16 PM

^ That's a pretty narrow area. You expand just a mile in any direction and you will have a lot more opportunities.

Yes, you could drive to the park and ride at 3rd Ave & Camelback, and then take the train to ASU. Not a biggie...

900 square foot one bedrooms are $575 to $625 in my complex, and that includes all utilities. Two bedrooms with a small yard are a little bigger and more expensive.

--don

Vicelord John Aug 22, 2011 2:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Don B. (Post 5386320)
^ That's a pretty narrow area. You expand just a mile in any direction and you will have a lot more opportunities.

Who needs more opportunities when you know what you want?

FWIW though HooverDamn, you've just described an area that I don't think has any apartments.

Leo the Dog Aug 22, 2011 3:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HooverDam (Post 5386315)
Not that anyone cares but, it seems that I've talked my GF into moving back to Phoenix! When our lease expires in June here in Boston it looks like we'll head back west. She wants to transfer her credits from the pricey BU to the more cost effective ASU and I may enroll at ASU as well and finish out a degree, likely in Urban Planning or in their Urban & Metropolitan Studies program.

Now to find an apartment between Camelback, 7th St, 3rd Ave & Missouri...

Had enough of Boston already?! When I moved to AZ from Boston, I spent two years dicking around at Mesa Community College to make sure I became a resident to get in-state tuition rates at ASU.

Looks like there are numerous apartments/condos in the area on Google Maps. Why not rent a house with a nice yard? It's cheaper than anything in Boston anyways.

HooverDam Aug 22, 2011 4:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Don B. (Post 5386320)

It is, but my GF grew up in (suburban) Phoenix (near Horizon HS) and hated it & I know what sort of neighborhood she'd like, and Uptown fits the bill. I'll basically have a year to convince her that gross summers and all, Phoenix is a place she could live her life. She never imagined herself living back there, so as much as I'd like to be an Urban Pioneer and be more Downtown, moving her into a neighborhood full of dirt lots wouldn't be a good idea.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vicelord John (Post 5386322)
FWIW though HooverDamn, you've just described an area that I don't think has any apartments.

There aren't any real big complexes, but there are some. There are also some condo complexes that people rent units out in. Medlock and Pasadena between 3rd Ave and Central have a few units, plus there's a bunch of cool Mid Century modern complexes directly West of 3rd Ave on those streets as well (behind Beefeaters).

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leo the Dog (Post 5386371)
Why not rent a house with a nice yard? It's cheaper than anything in Boston anyways.

Yah that may be an option as well. Its a ways away, as long as I can find something nice for $1,100 or less per month (should be easy) I'll be a happy camper.

What we pay in rent in Boston would be a mortgage payment on a real nice house in PHX, its insane out here.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leo the Dog (Post 5386371)
Had enough of Boston already?!

Its less of that and more that I just miss home. I'm clearly a West "coast" person and the impending winter is terrifying me.

HX_Guy Aug 22, 2011 4:11 PM

Is the cost of living the main reason you're moving back or are there others?

HooverDam Aug 22, 2011 4:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HX_Guy (Post 5386490)
Is the cost of living the main reason you're moving back or are there others?

Its among others. They include:

*50% of the population of Boston are gigantic assholes.

*The comedy scene out here isn't what I expected, its a bit bigger than Phoenix's, but really no better. If I'm going to have to "start over" in comedy anyway, I might as well go PHX to LA, PHX to Boston wasn't enough of a jump.

*ASU, my GF can get in state tuition there (even though she's been here 6 years she never changed her permanent address! :P ) and finish up her degree

*I could go to ASU as well and get a degree. I dropped out of school in StL midway through my Senior year when I got a job working on the feature film "The Kingdom" in Phoenix/Mesa. I've since fallen out of love with film production and need to get on some kind of track to have a 'real job' if comedy doesn't work out.

*I miss the West, the geographic diversity, everything out here looks the same.

*We'd both be closer to our families

*I enjoyed being involved in the urban/development/whatever you call it community in Phoenix, I miss that.

EDIT: On an unrelated note, everyone here should pick up a copy of "Triumph of the City" by Edward Glaeser I just read it and its fantastic.