SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Completed Project Threads Archive (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=348)
-   -   NEW YORK | Central Park Tower (Nordstrom)| 1,550 FT | 131 FLOORS (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=191095)

yankeesfan1000 Dec 2, 2012 7:49 PM

I don't see how 220 CPS has anything to do with this site, it seems that it's a purely Vornado problem. Unless Vornado blows Extell's socks off with an offer for the garage, I'm sure Extell is happy to continue to own the garage and thus prevent Vornado from erecting a tower that would block this buildings views, and be a direct competitor to this building and One57.

In regard to what Crawford posted, here's a quick read on Sheldon Solow's 57th St lot, the anonymous source in the deal said that Solow did it in part to protect the southern views in 9 West 57th St, which he also owns.

Regardless of what Solow does or doesn't do, 57th St will still be an impressive vertical corridor.

TowerVerre:) Dec 2, 2012 7:55 PM

I wouldn t be so happy because if the design is ugly a Big ugly tower would stand in the in the middle of midtown

MarshallKnight Dec 2, 2012 10:30 PM

Someone already had this idea a few months ago on the Tower Verre thread, but now I can't stop thinking about it: how amazing would it be to put something else in the MoMA location, and build a +1,550ft version of Jean Nouvel's design here?

The best design + the tallest tower = a gigantic middle finger to Amanda Burden.

...anyone want to whip up a render of that, or should I just go ahead and consign that idea to my wildest dreams?

applejacks Dec 3, 2012 12:36 AM

I like to think of skyscrapers relative to other cities to get a feeling for what we might be in for. At 1550 feet this building will be about as tall as Hong Kong's International Commerce Centre. When this building was under construction I was sheer awe at its massive size and figured New York would never build something to this level. Here's to hoping I'm wrong!

Wikipedia / WiNG:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...tre_201008.jpg

Zapatan Dec 3, 2012 1:21 AM

Yea for real... Having seen SWFC in person, I cannot wait to have a building of such scale in my favorite world city!

uaarkson Dec 3, 2012 1:52 AM

This tower will be much thinner than Hong Kong ICC, and will probably look taller as a result.

TowerVerre:) Dec 3, 2012 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MarshallKnight (Post 5922664)
Someone already had this idea a few months ago on the Tower Verre thread, but now I can't stop thinking about it: how amazing would it be to put something else in the MoMA location, and build a +1,550ft version of Jean Nouvel's design here?

The best design + the tallest tower = a gigantic middle finger to Amanda Burden.

...anyone want to whip up a render of that, or should I just go ahead and consign that idea to my wildest dreams?

That would be very great but i think it is a bit unrealistic. ?! :(

NYguy Dec 3, 2012 4:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by uaarkson (Post 5922861)
This tower will be much thinner than Hong Kong ICC, and will probably look taller as a result.

Not as slim as 432 Park, but a slender tower that has reduced number of apartments as it rises (from 4 to 3 to 2) and the top floor lounge/deck is at a 100 person capacity.

http://observer.com/2012/12/demoliti...-street-tower/

Demolition Begins on 1780 Broadway, Final Piece of Barnett’s 1,550-Foot 57th Street Tower

http://nyoobserver.files.wordpress.c...pg?w=600&h=450

By Matt Chaban
Dec 3, 2012

Quote:

No sooner did Extell Development file permits for a new 1,550-foot residential tower on the corner of 57th Street and Broadway then scaffolding started to go up around one of the final properties comprising Gary Barnett’s little west side assemblage that will be home to the city’s tallest tower. On Friday morning, The Observer happened to be out for a stroll on the crosstown boulevard when we noticed construction workers assembling a sidewalk shed, the first sign of construction commencement.

A source close to Extell confirms that demolition will soon begin on 1780 Broadway, a 12-story building that was once home to BF Goodrich. At the time, this corner of Gotham was known as Automobile Row during the Gilded Age. Because of an agreement with the city’s Landmarks Preservation Commission, the facade of 1780 Broadway must be retained as part of any new building, so this will presumably be a careful deconstruction.

It is worth noting that, according to construction documents, the hotel will occupy floors seven through 12, the same height as 1780 Broadway, so it could make a good entrance for the hotel, while the Nordstrams would presumably have its entrance on busy 57th Street, with something quieter for the apartment tenants on 58th Street.

Is this a sign that this new building might indeed start rising sooner rather than later? “Once a building is torn down, a new one tends to rise,” according to our source. “It’s quite possible.”

That would be an impressive feat, given that One57 is not even finished. Then again, if that building is indeed almost sold out, Mr. Barnett will need something else to start selling to the billionaires of the world, eh? Which begs the question, what could he possibly build next to top these two?

http://nyoobserver.files.wordpress.c...way_extell.jpg

http://nyoobserver.files.wordpress.c...0-10-06-21.jpg
Inside the old, trashed Morton Williams (Matt Chaban)

Eidolon Dec 3, 2012 6:42 PM

Great to see that this is moving ahead so soon, I personally didn't think this would happen for at least a few more weeks. The excitement builds!

:banana:

reencharles Dec 3, 2012 6:58 PM

Quote:

"Because of an agreement with the city's Landmarks Preservation Commission, the facade of 1780 Broadway must be retained as part of any new building, so this will presumably be a careful deconstruction. It is worth noting that, according to construction documents, the hotel will occupy floors seven through 12, the same height as 1780 Broadway, so it could make a good entrance for the hotel, while the Nordstrams would presumably have its entrance on busy 57th Street, with something quieter for the apartment tenants on 58th Street."
Nice! They will destroy the building, but at the same time maintaining the facade. Good news for NIMBYS and for us, skyscrapers lovers. :notacrook:

MarshallKnight Dec 3, 2012 6:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TowerVerre:) (Post 5923214)
That would be very great but i think it is a bit unrealistic. ?! :(

Totally, profoundly unrealistic.

Which is too bad, because the original 1,250ft Tower Verre design was incredible, and to lengthen it by an additional 300+ ft would be staggering. I guess I was making more of a commentary on the injustice done by lopping 200ft off of that brilliant tower, than on what specifically I'd like to see here at 225 W. 57th.

In a perfect world, the best designs would be rewarded with the most prominent slices of the skyline, making "Tall Verre" a perfect union.

But, I'm sure that Barnett will give us something brilliant.

yankeesfan1000 Dec 3, 2012 7:31 PM

This is coming together incredibly fast, but so far so good, the height and preservation of a classic NY facade. Hopefully the design is a knock out.

NYguy Dec 3, 2012 9:54 PM

Quote:

Is this a sign that this new building might indeed start rising sooner rather than later? “Once a building is torn down, a new one tends to rise,” according to our source. “It’s quite possible.”

That, and the fact that Barnett has begun filing building permits for construction tells me he is close to or believes he will have financing in hand to begin construction next year, a happy new year for us skyline watchers as new towers begin pushing to extend the skyline higher.

NYC2ATX Dec 4, 2012 8:32 AM

This may well be the most the New York skyline has changed since the 20s and early 30s. We're witnessing history.

NYguy Dec 4, 2012 1:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StatenIslander237 (Post 5924458)
This may well be the most the New York skyline has changed since the 20s and early 30s. We're witnessing history.

Yes we are. I've been wondering if this is what it was like back then, when just as you thought you knew what the skyline looked like, something else came along to change the game. At my most optimistic, I wouldn't have guessed to see so many large developments stirring at the same time. This one looks like it will top all others, at least to roof height/occupied space. We'll see if that holds true when all the dust settles.

JACKinBeantown Dec 4, 2012 8:06 PM

Hopefully the dust won't ever settle.

NYguy Dec 4, 2012 8:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JACKinBeantown (Post 5925012)
Hopefully the dust won't ever settle.

Surely they won't keep popping up at this pace, but I know what you mean. We're in a new golden age of skyscrapers in NY. I think history will look back at 9/11 as the lowest point, but a turning point as well. I've never witnessed such enthusiasm for skyscraper building in NY (even the NIMBYs are silenced a bit), and people thought it would be so different.

Don't know where she go this info, but here it is anyway. Don't take it as fact until proven otherwise.

http://www.t2conline.com/monopoly-on-57th/

Monopoly on 57th

http://www.t2conline.com/wp-content/...=90&w=479&zc=1

Suzanna Bowling
December 3, 2012

Quote:

You may have noticed that the Morton Williams building moved down the street. The reason is Nordstrom’s. Their new building will be 1700ft high making it the tallest apartment building in Manhattan. One 57th street is only a 1004ft high. Both are the babies of real estate mogul Gary Barnett of Extell Development will build this family based business deal. Before that the highest was at 1,397-foot tower under construction at the former Drake Hotel site at 432 Park Avenue South. One World Trade Center and 432 Park Avenue falls just under 1,400 feet in height. Nordstom itself will occupy 7 whole floors and will have approximately 280,000 square feet of space. Altogether 1.2 million square feet, with 800,00 going residential. The residential side will have 88-stories of residential feet with 233 units. The entrance will be 225 West 57th street. Look for another entrance at 1780 Broadway, but don’t look for much change as that is a historic landmark.

Documents were filed with the Department of Buildings. The DOB permit application reveals that AAI Architects and is scheduled for completion around 2017 or 2018.

Dac150 Dec 5, 2012 1:46 AM

Now it's 1700ft? :haha: Well, whatever the final height is, what's important is that things are rolling at a swift pace and in a positive way. One57 was the coming attraction . . . now it's time for the area to witness the main event.

Roadcruiser1 Dec 5, 2012 2:10 AM

If it became 2,000 feet I bet the whole forum would be full of drooling people. :haha::haha::haha::haha:

Hudson11 Dec 5, 2012 3:10 AM

1700 ft is only 150 ft above the highest occupied space, it is possible i suppose.

NewYorkDominates Dec 5, 2012 3:19 AM

The supposedly 85' last floor + three mechanical floors can easily translate to 150'.Doesn't seem far fetched in mind,but we'll just have to wait and see.

babybackribs2314 Dec 5, 2012 3:22 AM

That article was terribly written so I wouldn't put too much stock into it.

jd3189 Dec 5, 2012 3:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roadcruiser1 (Post 5925551)
If it became 2,000 feet I bet the whole forum would be full of drooling people. :haha::haha::haha::haha:

It would the second structure in the Western world to be up to challenge the Asian giants.

Onn Dec 5, 2012 4:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jd3189 (Post 5925645)
It would the second structure in the Western world to be up to challenge the Asian giants.

About time we get back into the race, I can't believe we let ourselves go that badly.

1,700 seems like a lot, but in this supertall boom we know stranger things have happened. Pretty much anything and everything is in the realm of possiblity. Hopefully the design is steller! :D

khaizer007 Dec 5, 2012 5:28 AM

Regardless of how accurate this article is, it is not a far stretch to see this building reach 1700 ft considering the height of the last floor and the 3 mechanical floors....and one might think a building with such hype will have some kind of crown that will stand out, so who knows.

Duck From NY Dec 5, 2012 6:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jd3189 (Post 5925645)

Which would be the first?

Dale Dec 5, 2012 3:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duck From NY (Post 5925816)
Which would be the first?

I wonder if he means the ill-fated Chicago Spire ?

nycaddict Dec 7, 2012 1:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dale (Post 5926030)
I wonder if he means the ill-fated Chicago Spire ?

he might have meant the cn tower in toronto. minus 200 ft

Crawford Dec 7, 2012 4:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nycaddict (Post 5928407)
he might have meant the cn tower in toronto. minus 200 ft

I assume he means 1 WTC

applejacks Dec 8, 2012 11:15 PM

Looks like this thing is rolling and will hopefully move into the under construction section within the next few months.

I wonder when or if they'll start marketing this anytime soon.

On one hand, One 57th street has sold or put on contract about 30% of its units the last time i looked. Since this new building will be owned by the same developer it might be in there interest to keep this thing on down low until more of their current build is sold off.

However, with 432 Park Avenue going up it might be in their interests to steal a bit of its thunder and any potential buyers. With a bigger and better trophy located right over central park, I'm sure this building could cause a few buyers to second guess their multimillion dollar purchase.

The better this thing gets going thhe better.

yankeesfan1000 Dec 8, 2012 11:38 PM

^

Last update with One57 sales was in May, with over 50% of the units sold for a total amount over $1B, all in only 6 months time. That doesn't include important information like what units sold, two very different stories if a majority of the trophy units of $30M and up are sold and thus make up a large chunk of that 50% number, or if a lot of those are still unsold. From the info we have, it seems like a lot of those have in fact been sold, especially considering the dollar figure of the units sold.

Either way, there is little denying the high end residential market is hot right now, and the sooner this project can be delivered the more likely people are to buy here as opposed to the other uber high end high rises planned in the area.

aquablue Dec 9, 2012 4:37 AM

I'll expect a boxy base, just due to Nordstrom. However, after than, the building could do something special, i.e, twist, curve? I really hope that is the case, NY could do with an iconic design for the West Side. I'd also be satisfied with a rounded or slanting shape. Just not another box with setbacks or a straight box, please.

If this is another Park Avenue, I'll lose it. We don't want a 1550 foot rectangle. However, deep down, I'm expecting it to be a box with setbacks.

sbarn Dec 9, 2012 5:59 AM

Excavators ready to go to work (not my photo):

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8353/8...698fbe79_b.jpg
denkmanttlb

NYguy Dec 10, 2012 4:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aquablue (Post 5930988)
I'll expect a boxy base, just due to Nordstrom. However, after than, the building could do something special, i.e, twist, curve? I really hope that is the case, NY could do with an iconic design for the West Side. I'd also be satisfied with a rounded or slanting shape. Just not another box with setbacks or a straight box, please.

Due to the layout, I expect the building to be offset from the base (Nordstrom) with a tapering or setback form...

Quote:

Units stack up as follows:

Floors 15 - 20: 4

Floors 21 - 66: 3

Floors 69 - 83: 2

And the top floor lounge/deck will have a 100 hundred person capacity, which is pretty good room for a building like this.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sbarn (Post 5931055)
Excavators ready to go to work (not my photo):

Go to work boys! I feel really good about this. Barnett said excavation probably wouldn't begin until sometime early next year. With signs being that they will begin a littlle bit earlier, and construction permits being filed, I feel that this could be under construction by summer.

NYguy Dec 11, 2012 3:36 AM

These towers will seem even closer than they really are...

denkmanttlb

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8502/8...49f5c583_b.jpg

Onn Dec 11, 2012 4:32 AM

Whoa nelly, those towers are going to be pretty close. Guess it's not so bad to have a tall neighbor right next door though. One57 won't feel so alone!

This is a great way to revitalize old New York City neighborhoods. :)

NYguy Dec 12, 2012 10:37 PM

December 12, 2012

http://www.pbase.com/nyguy/image/147829821/large.jpg

http://www.pbase.com/nyguy/image/147829822/large.jpg

http://www.pbase.com/nyguy/image/147829823/original.jpg
http://m3.i.pbase.com/o6/06/102706/1...c12121273b.JPG

http://ic2.pbase.com/o6/06/102706/1/...c12121274b.JPG

aquablue Dec 12, 2012 10:53 PM

Is the corner building coming down (second to last pic)? I hope not!

babybackribs2314 Dec 13, 2012 12:03 AM

The only remaining building to be demolished is covered in the black netting.

It is insane how tall the building's base will be. The department store alone will rise 280 feet. With only seven (I think?) floors, that alone will be taller than the neighboring buildings.

I think that this tower's volume will be much more impressive than the overall FAR, if that makes sense. If there is indeed empty space between each of the building's sections (I believe it will be parceled out by use? we saw that component in the SHoP design), it may not be quite as thin as people anticipate, and the base will certainly be very substantial.

I also wonder whether the new Nordstrom will be a negative to Time Warner or not. I imagine it won't be, as Time Warner has so much variety in their retail, but they are quite close. Certainly long-term it will benefit both, as I think 225 W57th will be the catalyst for high-end retail spreading along 57th Street and eventually continuing from Park all the way to Broadway. It's only a thousand feet or so from Nordstrom to where the high-end shops terminate already (between 5th & 6th).

aquablue Dec 13, 2012 12:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by babybackribs2314 (Post 5935802)
The only remaining building to be demolished is covered in the black netting.

It is insane how tall the building's base will be. The department store alone will rise 280 feet. With only seven (I think?) floors, that alone will be taller than the neighboring buildings.

I think that this tower's volume will be much more impressive than the overall FAR, if that makes sense. If there is indeed empty space between each of the building's sections (I believe it will be parceled out by use? we saw that component in the SHoP design), it may not be quite as thin as people anticipate, and the base will certainly be very substantial.

I also wonder whether the new Nordstrom will be a negative to Time Warner or not. I imagine it won't be, as Time Warner has so much variety in their retail, but they are quite close. Certainly long-term it will benefit both, as I think 225 W57th will be the catalyst for high-end retail spreading along 57th Street and eventually continuing from Park all the way to Broadway. It's only a thousand feet or so from Nordstrom to where the high-end shops terminate already (between 5th & 6th).

The building on the corner needs to be cleaned and spruced up. It looks dowdy and dull and it is not going to contrast nicely with a gleaming new tower, but very well could detract from it.

I agree, that the Nordstrom sounds massive, but I think NYC can handle it. Perhaps other department stores have more to worry than TWC. TWC isn't exactly a mega-mall lol.

NYguy Dec 13, 2012 12:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aquablue (Post 5935707)
Is the corner building coming down (second to last pic)? I hope not!

The building in the center is coming down, but the facade will remain...

http://www.pbase.com/nyguy/image/147829823/medium.jpg

aquablue Dec 13, 2012 12:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NYguy (Post 5935824)
The building in the center is coming down, but the facade will remain...

http://www.pbase.com/nyguy/image/147829823/medium.jpg

Goody. However, please someone clean the facade of the corner 1930's period tower.

DURKEY427 Dec 14, 2012 8:00 PM

When do you think we'll see a render?

NYguy Dec 14, 2012 8:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DURKEY427 (Post 5938110)
When do you think we'll see a render?

I have no idea. We didn't see a rendering of One57 until after it was already under construction.

THE BIG APPLE Dec 15, 2012 3:03 AM

I got to thinking and came up with a design. The tower will look similar to this as it will be thin. It will also give people something to look forward to. BUT this is what makes my design unique. The portion of MY tower to the west is clad in brick, or limestone mimicking the pre-war towers around it and keeping in design with the tower of which the facade is supposed to be kept intact, this is ofcourse the YELLOW potrtion. Now the (main tower) part of the tower to the east is blue with skyblue or ANY blue shade cladding. This creates a feeling of two buildings from many vantage points LIKE Columbus Circle, while from the Top of the Rock you see a 1500 ft needle with a crown. The TWO FACADE concept has NEVER worked as people think it's ugly and I agree (just look at Trump Park Ave) BUT I think it could work well here, as it's a TOUGH site with a TOUGH footprint. The dimensions are correct BTW, and Extell should hire me (I know). Here are 11 pics.

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-A...V4/s1568/1.jpg

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-A...E/s1568/10.jpg

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-e...g/s1568/11.jpg

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-_...tE/s1568/2.jpg

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-B...6s/s1568/3.jpg

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-e...Zk/s1568/4.jpg

Hey is that a 15 CWP-esque building (yellow portion).

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-M...os/s1568/5.jpg

And what's that tall "other" building behind it (blue portion).

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-R..._w/s1568/6.jpg

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-1...Eg/s1568/7.jpg

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-Z...F4/s1568/8.jpg

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-t...xg/s1568/9.jpg

babybackribs2314 Dec 15, 2012 3:38 AM

Great photos! When you say the dimensions are correct, do you mean to the zoning diagram values that were given?

Also, this may be a stretch but I have to ask: can you post the same image with One57, Torre Verre, and 432 Park? I imagine that much of Midtown will basically become valleys between the major arterial roads (57th, 42nd, and 34th).

Onn Dec 15, 2012 4:24 AM

The shots look GREAT, keep'em coming!

Eidolon Dec 15, 2012 2:12 PM

Looks awesome, this tower will be so tall that not only will it be visible from many more places than any other building in the city, it will also be a pop-culture icon famous throughout the world and therefore it deserves a truly captivating design. NYC is entering a new era of height with this building.

Btw, is the height of this model exactly 1,550 feet or a little more to represent the mechanical floors? Since barnett is going for maximum height, could it be plausible for the mechanical floors along with an architectural element to brake the 1800ft barrier? It would be great for the future of tall buildings in New York if the WTC didn't hold any height records since otherwise some kind of taboo over building taller than the spire might develop.

Don098 Dec 15, 2012 3:38 PM

I know I'll be in the minority when I say this, but I'm sorry, that just looks ridiculous. It's completely, utterly out of scale with the rest of the skyline. It'd look much better if they lopped at least 300 feet off of it. It's going to look out of place.

hunser Dec 15, 2012 3:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Don098 (Post 5939036)
I know I'll be in the minority when I say this, but I'm sorry, that just looks ridiculous. It's completely, utterly out of scale with the rest of the skyline. It'd look much better if they lopped at least 300 feet off of it. It's going to look out of place.

I won't be out of scale once the 1300 footers (432 PA and HY North) and many other supertalls are completed. It's not like we are going here from an 800 to an 1600 footer. The city's got dozens of towers between that range.