SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Development (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=86)
-   -   PHILADELPHIA | Lowrise/General Developments Thread (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=160247)

Knight Hospitaller Oct 10, 2017 4:57 PM

^ Small thinkers. Why settle when we could've had this:

https://i.imgur.com/VKpbbUl.jpg

Knight Hospitaller Oct 10, 2017 4:58 PM

^ That's Bart Blatstein on the right.

Redddog Oct 10, 2017 5:29 PM

Haha.

allovertown Oct 10, 2017 6:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Knight Hospitaller (Post 7947688)
^ That's Bart Blatstein on the right.

:haha::haha:

And i think i see Brandywine Rocks in the crowd cheering him on.

Londonee Oct 11, 2017 1:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brandywine Rocks (Post 7947602)
Typical Philly mindset of not seeing the forest thru the trees.

Its not about the past pal. This is South Broad Street which should have the highest of standards moving forward into this century. Think human scale, walkability , grand design.

This gargantuan concrete rectangle looks like it belongs behind the airport not on Broad Street . There is no detail to this design just uglly blank walls.Its an eye-sorish, city blocking atrocity.

This is actually a great looking project. You bring up "human scale" and "walkability" - this is a 5 story building wrapped on all sides with retail - including a much needed super market for GHo/Point Breeze and a Target - and connects 2 major corridors (broad and washington) with a pedestrian only street way. This is the definition of a human scale, walkable project.

Beyond that, half the project is the transformation and complete reclamation of an historic train shed that sat rotting for decades - which will become a unique grocery store experience. They could have easily pushed to knock it down, but they didn't. It's redevelopment along with the new structure is going to create a visually interesting dynamic - at the street level.

As someone who's owned a home in the 146 for about 10 years, this is a home run.

Londonee Oct 11, 2017 1:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1487 (Post 7947681)
^agreed. Perhaps he prefers the vacant lot on the other side of Broad. It's been sitting there for years awaiting some grand development that the market can't support. How comforting to know it will probably look the same after 5 or 10 more years.

It's not just Popeyes, it's the gas station at Bainbridge and the derelict lot/building across the street. It's the HUGE empty lots at Fitzwater and Christian streets and the Rite Aid and low density development with the Dunkin Donuts across the street. It's the most random McDonalds in American history and of course... Blatstein's Folly.

South Broad from South To Washington is an urban mess. My guess? A series of awful owners squatting on the land?

summersm343 Oct 11, 2017 3:36 PM

We Took a Tour of the Pyramid Lofts in Brewerytown

http://www.ocfrealty.com/wp-content/...0/IMG_2437.jpg

Read more here:
http://www.ocfrealty.com/naked-phill...-pyramid-lofts

mja Oct 12, 2017 2:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Knight Hospitaller (Post 7947685)
^ Small thinkers. Why settle when we could've had this:

https://i.imgur.com/VKpbbUl.jpg

Wait, is that a new rendering of the sky "village"?

summersm343 Oct 13, 2017 2:38 PM

Zoning do-over declined for Post Bros.'s Quaker building project, leaving decision to courts

This one is going to the courts. Such a disgraceful move by the city, who's officials are SO OBVIOUSLY getting their pockets lined with cash from the unions here. I hope Post Brother's wins big over the city AND the unions, and still gets to move forward with the project anyway.

http://www.philly.com/philly/busines...-20171013.html

1487 Oct 13, 2017 2:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by summersm343 (Post 7951119)
Zoning do-over declined for Post Bros.'s Quaker building project, leaving decision to courts

This one is going to the courts. Such a disgraceful move by the city, who's officials are SO OBVIOUSLY getting their pockets lined with cash from the unions here. I hope Post Brother's wins big over the city AND the unions, and still gets to move forward with the project anyway.

http://www.philly.com/philly/busines...-20171013.html

This is a bad look for Clarke- no comment from him.

Knight Hospitaller Oct 13, 2017 2:47 PM

^ Wow. Given a chance to save face, they doubled down on corruption. A friend of mine (sadly now hospitalized after a serious accident) is quite plugged into city politics. He says a day or reckoning is coming for certain politicians and union figures based on things he's heard. Apparently their corruption is catching up with them.

Larry King Oct 13, 2017 3:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1487 (Post 7951122)
This is a bad look for Clarke- no comment from him.

How much influence does he have over the zba either way?

1487 Oct 13, 2017 3:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Larry King (Post 7951195)
How much influence does he have over the zba either way?

none directly, but he could have publically objected to the initial ruling to make some noise and signal to Kenney he wasn't happy.

1487 Oct 13, 2017 3:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Knight Hospitaller (Post 7951133)
^ Wow. Given a chance to save face, they doubled down on corruption. A friend of mine (sadly now hospitalized after a serious accident) is quite plugged into city politics. He says a day or reckoning is coming for certain politicians and union figures based on things he's heard. Apparently their corruption is catching up with them.

this isn't corruption- this is protection of the status quo. Corruption means you are taking money from taxpayers, taking money in order to do favors for individuals or businesses or skirting rules to enrich yourself. If I were post brothers I would've gotten Clarke on board and went to the ZBA armed with clear support from his office to send a message that opposing this was going to cause major waves. Perhaps they tried to get his support but nothing in the articles about this story have indicated as such.

Larry King Oct 13, 2017 3:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1487 (Post 7951211)
this isn't corruption- this is protection of the status quo. Corruption means you are taking money from taxpayers, taking money in order to do favors for individuals or businesses or skirting rules to enrich yourself. If I were post brothers I would've gotten Clarke on board and went to the ZBA armed with clear support from his office to send a message that opposing this was going to cause major waves. Perhaps they tried to get his support but nothing in the articles about this story have indicated as such.

I think I read that clarke issued a letter of support but his aide didn’t show up to testify in favor. I’m skeptical that it would’ve made any difference. Have seen zba rule against council people’s wishes... which is odd bc you’d think that dicicco of all people would respect Councilmanic prerogative.

Knight Hospitaller Oct 13, 2017 3:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1487 (Post 7951211)

Corruption has a broader definition than that. Money often is, but needn't be, the motive. Let's call it "dishonest behavior motivated by self interest" then. In any event, I'm sure palms are being greased in general, if not specifically in this instance.

1487 Oct 13, 2017 3:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Larry King (Post 7951225)
I think I read that clarke issued a letter of support but his aide didn’t show up to testify in favor. I’m skeptical that it would’ve made any difference. Have seen zba rule against council people’s wishes... which is odd bc you’d think that dicicco of all people would respect Councilmanic prerogative.

interesting. Even if that is true I haven't seen much on the record from Clarke in these articles- so it seems his support was very quiet and tepid. The groups in the area that cut the deal with PB will have to make enough noise to flip this decision.

1487 Oct 13, 2017 3:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Knight Hospitaller (Post 7951234)
Corruption has a broader definition than that. Money often is, but needn't be, the motive. Let's call it "dishonest behavior motivated by self interest" then. In any event, I'm sure palms are being greased in general, if not specifically in this instance.

doubt it. Far too risky these days. Most recent corruption scandals have been about very nuanced behavior- often related to misuse of campaign funds or violation of fund raising rules etc. Straight up payoffs are too blatant and too dangerous. Furthermore these reps on the ZBA arent even government employees per se. They haven't seen evidence Kenney is going to reign them end so they are emboldened to make moves such as this. Unless they are stopped they will continue to be a pain for non-union developers. PB should have brokered a deal in advance of this but obviously they either a) really thought their issues were behind them or b)expected this and wanted to go to court from the jump.

City Wide Oct 14, 2017 12:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Knight Hospitaller (Post 7951133)

Please tell me Janie is going to "retire".

No doubling down on corruption; they just didn't have any new information that would cause them to 'reconsider'! Now they decide to get all legal, where back a month or so ago they thought the future was in industrial uses for the building.

What a bunch of fools.

1487 Oct 16, 2017 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by City Wide (Post 7951955)
Please tell me Janie is going to "retire".

No doubling down on corruption; they just didn't have any new information that would cause them to 'reconsider'! Now they decide to get all legal, where back a month or so ago they thought the future was in industrial uses for the building.

What a bunch of fools.

yeah well people should run against them and beat them. That's how you get politicians to retire.