SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Development (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=86)
-   -   PHILADELPHIA | Lowrise/General Developments Thread (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=160247)

McBane Apr 28, 2016 8:39 PM

I read that article and was waiting for someone to post it. Here's the thing about a downtown stadium: With the exception of your original downtown baseball fields (like Wrigley and Fenway), today's stadiums that are built downtown are usually in cities that have the open space and need the boost. Fortunately, we don't need a stadium to energize Center City nor do we have the space.

Further, I don't think you can replicate the Fenway Park or Wrigley Field experience overnight. Those neighborhoods have evolved over many many years with the stadiums and the generations of fans have grown accustomed to taking transit to games.

Now contrast that with the opposition arguments noted in each of the proposals: fans didn't want to deal with the parking and congestion headaches and neighbors didn't want to deal with the noise and traffic. Philadelphians are just very accustomed to driving to games. So any stadium built near Center City will be surrounded by parking lots and garages.

Instead of wondering how cool it would have been to have built Citizens Bank Park downtown, I wonder how cool would it have been if Connie Mack field had never been demolished.

Larry King Apr 28, 2016 8:45 PM

I can not believe that people are still writing and talking about a downtown stadium. It was over 10 years ago, my god get over it.

boxbot Apr 28, 2016 8:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Larry King (Post 7424374)
I can not believe that people are still writing and talking about a downtown stadium. It was over 10 years ago, my god get over it.

http://i.imgur.com/vEQ79Ld.gif

TempleGuy1000 Apr 28, 2016 9:05 PM

Boxbot you are like a young Andy Warhol.

hammersklavier Apr 28, 2016 10:02 PM

Quote:

Exactly.

allovertown Apr 28, 2016 10:41 PM

Quote:

Yea, it's a real shame it didn't happen, but as people pointed out, the challenges were many and the opportunity has long since passed us by. The bank still looks great, there really shouldn't be any reason for them to move for decades and decades.

If you want to talk downtown sporting arenas, there's really only one shot for Philly right now. The Sixers.

No longer owned by Comcast Specatacor, the Sixers are tenants in the Wells Fargo Center currently and not very happy about the arrangement. Wells Fargo won't sponsor them and they actually have the Wells Fargo logo in all white text, so small you can't even see it on the court just to begrudgingly fulfill the terms of their contract that dates back to prior owners.

http://content.sportslogos.net/news/...go-Court-2.png

Obviously it's more economical to simply have them share the Wells Fargo Center and I'd be opposed to any significant taxpayer contribution to the project but the Sixers might just build an arena without the taxpayers. The current owners purchased the Sixers for an unbelievably low price just a few years ago below 300 Million. Already the team is estimated to be worth at least twice that despite their losing ways. And nothing adds value to a team like owning your arena as opposed to renting it. If current ownership ever wanted to sell, a privately financed arena may actually be a viable plan as the enormous boost in value may actually outweigh construction costs.

Not to mention it is a lot easier to fit a basketball arena into the city grid than a baseball stadium. In fact you may even be able to squeeze an arena in at 8th and market... a man can dream at least.

summersm343 Apr 28, 2016 10:42 PM

From Center City District Report: Old Family Court Building

KIMPTON HOTEL

DEVELOPER:
Peebles Corp. and P&A Associates

SIZE:
250,000 sf

HOTEL ROOMS:

START DATE:
December 2016

COMPLETION DATE:
June 2018

Announced

INVESTMENT:
$90 Million

DESCRIPTION:
The former Family Court building will be redeveloped
into a hotel now that the Court has moved to its new location at
15th and Arch Streets. The building’s interior, including all 37
murals and lighting fixtures, were designated historically significant in 2011 and will remain intact. The project will include 199
rooms, a 3,500-sf ballroom, meeting and board rooms, a spa
and fitness center, and a restaurant and bar.

http://www.centercityphila.org/docs/...pments2016.pdf

summersm343 Apr 28, 2016 10:46 PM

From Center City District Report: Reading Viaduct Rail Park

VIADUCT RAIL PARK, PHASE I

DEVELOPER:
Center City District

SIZE:
26,000 sf

START DATE:

COMPLETION DATE:

Announced

INVESTMENT:
$9.6 Million

DESCRIPTION:
The Viaduct Rail Park project seeks to transform
the abandoned railway that slices through the area between
Chinatown and Fairmount Avenue into a public park. The
Center City District was drawn to the project because of the
success of the High Line elevated park in New York City, and
saw an opportunity to add residential and light commercial
development in the expanding communities of Center City
and Chinatown. With 32% of the land in the area around the
Viaduct still currently vacant and undeveloped, the opportunity
exists to create a unique, mixed-use, mixed-income neighborhood. Phase I of the project will involve the transformation of a
26,000-sf section of the Viaduct known as the SEPTA Spur, and
will include landscaping, adding stairs that connect the railway
to the street level, waterproofing the viaduct’s leaking underside, and environmental remediation.

summersm343 Apr 28, 2016 10:49 PM

From Center City District Report: Spring Garden Street Connector

SPRING GARDEN STREET CONNECTOR

DEVELOPER:
Delaware River Waterfront Corporation

START DATE:

COMPLETION DATE:

Under Construction

INVESTMENT:
$2.5 Million

DESCRIPTION:
As part of its connector street program, the Delaware River Waterfront Corporation is currently
working with RBA group to design streetscape improvements to Spring Garden Street between Columbus
Boulevard/Delaware Avenue and 2nd Street, including a new lighting and public art installation under the
I-95 overpass and Spring Garden transit stop. The streetscape improvements were completed in Fall 2015
and the underpass lighting and artistic screens will be installed in Winter 2016. The artistic lighting and
screens were designed by Cloud Gehshan Associates and The Lighting Practice and fabricated by Urban
Sign. This project is intended to improve pedestrian and bike connections from Northern Liberties to the
riverfront, increase usage of public transportation, and ultimately connect to the waterfront trail.

hammersklavier Apr 28, 2016 11:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by allovertown (Post 7424565)
Yea, it's a real shame it didn't happen, but as people pointed out, the challenges were many and the opportunity has long since passed us by. The bank still looks great, there really shouldn't be any reason for them to move for decades and decades.

If you want to talk downtown sporting arenas, there's really only one shot for Philly right now. The Sixers.

No longer owned by Comcast Specatacor, the Sixers are tenants in the Wells Fargo Center currently and not very happy about the arrangement. Wells Fargo won't sponsor them and they actually have the Wells Fargo logo in all white text, so small you can't even see it on the court just to begrudgingly fulfill the terms of their contract that dates back to prior owners.

http://content.sportslogos.net/news/...go-Court-2.png

Obviously it's more economical to simply have them share the Wells Fargo Center and I'd be opposed to any significant taxpayer contribution to the project but the Sixers might just build an arena without the taxpayers. The current owners purchased the Sixers for an unbelievably low price just a few years ago below 300 Million. Already the team is estimated to be worth at least twice that despite their losing ways. And nothing adds value to a team like owning your arena as opposed to renting it. If current ownership ever wanted to sell, a privately financed arena may actually be a viable plan as the enormous boost in value may actually outweigh construction costs.

Not to mention it is a lot easier to fit a basketball arena into the city grid than a baseball stadium. In fact you may even be able to squeeze an arena in at 8th and market... a man can dream at least.

No public money in stadium construction!

That said ... I think a new stadium is mostly a nice-to-have. It isn't like the Sixers are particularly relevant anyway. But you wanna know who else has been jonesing for a better facility for a while?

The Drexel Dragons.

I'm not entirely sure where they would put it (other than "somewhere next to Drexel"), but I could see a joint Sixers/Dragons arena working out. Co-brand it and stuff and Drexel could well use the opportunity to move the Dragons to the higher-profile A-10 (and become a full-time member of the Big 5) as well. Oh, and with a Sixers/Dragons partnership, you can use collegiate fundraising avenues and not try to extort tax breaks out of the city for a team whose previous ownership decimated its fanbase. It'd certainly be win-win for both the team and the school.

Urbanthusiat Apr 28, 2016 11:21 PM

I dream of the Flyers/Sixers playing at 8th and Market... It's the only place a downtown area could work, as its accessible by the MFL, Regional Rail, and PATCO so that parking requirements could be lower and the traffic effect would be minimized. Right in the middle of the touristy area is perfect too.

summersm343 Apr 28, 2016 11:34 PM

From Center City District Report: 1524 South St.

ROYAL THEATER

DEVELOPER:
Dranoff Properties
and Universal Companies

SIZE:
65,000 sf

RESIDENTIAL UNITS:

START DATE:
July 2016

COMPLETION DATE:
Q3 2017

Announced

INVESTMENT:
$20 Million

DESCRIPTION:
Plans call for the redevelopment of the historic Royal Theater into a mixed-use development with 52
high-end rental apartment units, 7,000 sf of retail space on the ground floor, and 20 below-grade parking spaces.
The Royal’s façade will be preserved and amenities will include a fitness center and roof deck.

Parkway Apr 28, 2016 11:35 PM

I wonder if the ballpark had been built at Broad and Spring Garden whether we would be talking about how we regret putting it there?

I'm thinking about all the development going on in that area and wondering how many of those parking lots would have stayed parking lots if their revenues were higher.

summersm343 Apr 28, 2016 11:42 PM

From the Center City District Report:

218 ARCH STREET

DEVELOPER:
PMC Property Group

SIZE:
140,000 sf

RESIDENTIAL UNITS:

START DATE:
Spring 2016

COMPLETION DATE:
Summer 2017

Announced

INVESTMENT:
$58 Million

DESCRIPTION:
PMC Property Group and Varenhorst will construct
a 10-story, mixed-use building on a surface parking lot near
2nd and Arch in Old City. The project sits on the historic
cobblestone lane, Little Boys Court, and will have 116 rental
units and ground-floor retail along Arch Street.

summersm343 Apr 28, 2016 11:45 PM

From Center City District Report:

ONE FRANKLIN TOWER

DEVELOPER:
PMC Property Group and Lubert-Adler

SIZE:
607,471 sf

RESIDENTIAL UNITS:

START DATE:
April 2016

COMPLETION DATE:
Spring 2017

Announced

DESCRIPTION:
In partnership with Lubert-Adler Real Estate Fund, PMC Property Group
has purchased One Franklin Plaza, the former North American headquarters for
GlaxoSmithKline, with plans to redevelop the property, which has been renamed One
Franklin Tower. The 24-story, 607,471-sf building, originally built in 1980, will be fully
converted to a premier mixed-use property consisting of first-class office space and
luxury apartments. The property’s office component will feature floor-to-ceiling glass
windows with natural light, eight corner offices, and its own dedicated contemporary
elevator lobby. The apartments will offer generously-sized floor plans, luxury finishes,
and a full complement of modern amenities. The property shares a two-level parking
garage with 450 spaces with the Sheraton Convention Hotel.

summersm343 Apr 28, 2016 11:52 PM

THE NATIONAL

DEVELOPER:
The Buccini/Pollin Group

SIZE:
204,235 sf

RESIDENTIAL UNITS:

START DATE:
Spring 2016

COMPLETION DATE:

Announced

INVESTMENT:
$23 Million

DESCRIPTION:
The former National Products building will be
redeveloped into a 192-unit apartment building with 3,000 sf
of ground floor retail and underground parking. The iconic
façade will be dismantled and rebuilt.

summersm343 Apr 28, 2016 11:54 PM

900-934 CALLOWHILL

DEVELOPER:
Wing Lee Investment, L.P.

SIZE:
173,913 sf

RESIDENTIAL UNITS:

START DATE:
Spring 2016

COMPLETION DATE:

Announced

INVESTMENT:
$20 Million

DESCRIPTION:
Designed by T.C. Lei Architect & Associates, the proposed project will sit on a rectangular parcel of what is now a mix of
warehouses and industrial space, a lumberyard and vacant lots at 900–934 Callowhill Street. The area is bounded by Carlton Street,
North 9th Street, Callowhill Street and Ridge Avenue. Existing structures will be razed. The design features four independent buildings: two seven-story apartment towers and two five-story buildings with apartments above and a total of 12 new commercial spaces
fronting Callowhill Street on the first floor. All residential units will be market-rate, two-bedroom rentals of about 880 sf. An open-air
cruciform courtyard and central elevator/stairwell tower will complete the interior of the site, which is being designed with an estimated $20 million total budget. The development will include approximately 14,000 sf of commercial space and more than 135,000 sf
dedicated to residential use.

allovertown Apr 29, 2016 12:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Urbanthusiat (Post 7424615)
I dream of the Flyers/Sixers playing at 8th and Market... It's the only place a downtown area could work, as its accessible by the MFL, Regional Rail, and PATCO so that parking requirements could be lower and the traffic effect would be minimized. Right in the middle of the touristy area is perfect too.

The way things currently stand there is zero chance Sixers and Flyers go into a new building together. Not to mention the fact that the Wells Fargo center is still in great condition, so if they the situation ever changes and they're willing to share a building they'd just stay in the WFC for forseeable future. If we're waiting until the WFC is obsolete then we're talking about plans so far in the future that I'd cry if 8th and Market was still undeveloped at that point.

Hammer makes a great point about Drexel and Sixers being logical partners, though i doubt Drexel would want their arena across the city. Center City at 8th and Market would be amazing but University City is a nice consolation. If near 30th street it would be nearly as accessible as 8th and Market.

1487 Apr 29, 2016 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by summersm343 (Post 7424644)

ONE FRANKLIN TOWER

DEVELOPER:
PMC Property Group and Lubert-Adler

SIZE:
607,471 sf

RESIDENTIAL UNITS:

START DATE:
April 2016

COMPLETION DATE:
Spring 2017

Announced

DESCRIPTION:
In partnership with Lubert-Adler Real Estate Fund, PMC Property Group
has purchased One Franklin Plaza, the former North American headquarters for
GlaxoSmithKline, with plans to redevelop the property, which has been renamed One
Franklin Tower. The 24-story, 607,471-sf building, originally built in 1980, will be fully
converted to a premier mixed-use property consisting of first-class office space and
luxury apartments. The property’s office component will feature floor-to-ceiling glass
windows with natural light, eight corner offices, and its own dedicated contemporary
elevator lobby. The apartments will offer generously-sized floor plans, luxury finishes,
and a full complement of modern amenities. The property shares a two-level parking
garage with 450 spaces with the Sheraton Convention Hotel.

Work is underway here and has been for a while. I wonder how long ago they froze this report before releasing it. All you have to do is walk or drive by and you can see the demolition is well underway and windows have been removed.

Londonee Apr 29, 2016 6:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by allovertown (Post 7424701)
The way things currently stand there is zero chance Sixers and Flyers go into a new building together. Not to mention the fact that the Wells Fargo center is still in great condition, so if they the situation ever changes and they're willing to share a building they'd just stay in the WFC for forseeable future. If we're waiting until the WFC is obsolete then we're talking about plans so far in the future that I'd cry if 8th and Market was still undeveloped at that point.

From what I know and understand, a Sixers arena has a VERY real probability of happening - and agree with your post upthread. I've looked at the 8th and Market geography and have been told that it's simply not big enough for an 18- 20k seat arena. Basketball is meant to be played downtown - it's the most theatrical "event" sport that exists. It's like going to the theatre or a show - a place to see and be seen - which thrives in a downtown location.

It's interesting to note that the WF Center is now 20 years old. The Spectrum lasted about the same number of seasons before talks and work began on the WF center in the early 90s. I feel like the WF Center opened yesterday, time flies.