SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   City Compilations (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=87)
-   -   SAN DIEGO | Boom Rundown, Vol. 2 (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=126473)

Crackertastik May 11, 2015 9:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mello (Post 7023595)
Something 260 to 300 feet tall would really complete the UTC skyline, with the new medical midrises that have gone up on the west side it is now a decent chunky secondary skyline it just needs that one tower to poke out that will make it really nice.

Regarding Lane Field this just looks like a modern version of the Holiday Inn/Wyndham buildings that have been there since the 60's short stumpy and not sleek at all. I know that Hotels rarely are sleek they are usually wide and bulky but talk about a missed opportunity once again. I guess once the BOSA towers go up to the South of LF and behind it they will just become an afterthought.

For the second phase of Lane Field, I know it remains up against a really tight deal. The returns arent great, because of the branding requirements and associated costs, and the heavy lease of the Port of San Diego. I assume too tight to create any sexiness.

Chapelo May 11, 2015 10:03 PM

Not skyscraper related, but retail seems to be doing well in SD. An Old Navy and Forever 21 Red are going in at the Sports Arena Square shopping center, next to Dick's/Home Depot.

This is the same spot where the original 1980s Ralph had been, and was later torn down when Ralph's moved into the former Mervyn's.

http://www.morrisandcampbell.com/wp-...ans0417151.pdf

mello May 11, 2015 11:15 PM

It seems like both Lane Field and La Jolla Commons would have been great places for mixed use towers. Hotel and Condos at both seems like a no brainer. Hopefully 7th and Market will finally be an example of a tall mixed use tower in San Diego. LA has Wilshire Grand and I think one or two other mixed buildings going up and San Francisco has been doing it for decades.

SDCAL May 11, 2015 11:28 PM

Walked by Lane Field today and have to say I'm not loving the design so far. Hopefully it will look better as it gets completed. I do like the park space on the west side of it though - it helps make the North Embarcadero not feel so isolated and narrow. They put these cool wooden recliner seats out.

tyleraf May 12, 2015 2:56 AM

Here is an interesting article on the future of the old California Theater. http://www.voiceofsandiego.org/topic...broken-dreams/

Leo the Dog May 12, 2015 3:52 PM

One Paseo vote on May 18th. This could be a huge decision in the overall direction of city development over the next few decades.

Quote:

San Diego City Council members are scheduled to vote May 18 whether to rescind their February approval of a dense mixed-use project proposed for Carmel Valley or let city voters decide its fate

The City Clerk on Monday notified the council that opponents of the project, called One Paseo, submitted enough valid signatures in March to force a repeal or a public vote.

Because large crowds are expected, Council President Sherri Lightner said the May 18 meeting would begin at 1 p.m. — one hour earlier than usual — and take place in Golden Hall, which has significantly more seating than the council chambers at City Hall.

Opponents of the project are expected to lobby council members to rescind their 7-2 approval of One Paseo, a 1.4 million-square-foot complex of tall office buildings, condos, apartments and retail stores.
Source: http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2015/...ote-petitions/

dtell04 May 12, 2015 4:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spoonman (Post 7019200)
Time for a construction roundup...

U/C
State Courthouse (?)
Bosa at PCH (41 floors)
Pinnacle Tower 2 (45 floors)
Lucia Nel Cielo (24 floors)
Ballpark Village (37 floors)
Blue Sky (21 floors)

Lucia Nel Cielo is not yet under construction. I can see the snowflake bakery building from my condo. I walked by 15th and Island the other day. The park looks nearly complete but the second tower doesn't look like its being built yet either. From what I understand only the demo permit had been approved for C and 13th, not the actual construction permit.

dtell04 May 12, 2015 8:39 PM

http://opendsd.sandiego.gov/web/Approvals/Search

Here's a link to search for permits.

SDfan May 13, 2015 2:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dtell04 (Post 7024954)
http://opendsd.sandiego.gov/web/Approvals/Search

Here's a link to search for permits.

I forgot about this. I went snooping around University City and found this for the Monte Verde site:

Quote:

UNIVERSITY CITY Substantial Conformance Review (Process 2) to PDP 10761 & SDP 372422 (PTS 6563) to reduce the height of three of four previously approved residential towers from 21-22 stories to 16 stories & minor exterior/interior modifications. The 4.77 acre site is located at 8995 Costa Verde Blvd & is in the RS-1-14 zone within the University City Community Plan. Council District 1. Newspaper Notice.
I also took a look around UTC and found all the permits for residential units expired, while the phase two permit that is active does not include any residential component. :(

As for La Jolla Commons III, there isn't anything much except a request to change the tower from hotel/condo to hotel/office, which has been approved.

spoonman May 13, 2015 4:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SDfan (Post 7025376)
I forgot about this. I went snooping around University City and found this for the Monte Verde site:

I also took a look around UTC and found all the permits for residential units expired, while the phase two permit that is active does not include any residential component. :(

As for La Jolla Commons III, there isn't anything much except a request to change the tower from hotel/condo to hotel/office, which has been approved.

Does this mean that at least one of the Monte Verde towers will be 21 floors?

ucsbgaucho May 13, 2015 5:52 PM

Don't know if anyone saw this article... is this news that downtown stadium proponents were secretly hoping for? Now could they argue if you want a CC expansion, the best chance is in conjunction with a new stadium?

http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2015/...n-in-jeopardy/

SDfan May 13, 2015 6:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spoonman (Post 7025528)
Does this mean that at least one of the Monte Verde towers will be 21 floors?

I'm not too sure. I know one of the original towers was supposed to be 24 stories, so lets hope that's going to be the case.

What I'm really hoping for is UTC mall to develop their original 300' residential tower. It would be right in the middle of University City, and would center the skyline quite nicely.

SDfan May 13, 2015 6:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ucsbgaucho (Post 7026072)
Don't know if anyone saw this article... is this news that downtown stadium proponents were secretly hoping for? Now could they argue if you want a CC expansion, the best chance is in conjunction with a new stadium?

The city could throw together some stadium/cc proposal, with a billion dollars to boot, and the Chargers would still leave. If the NFL lets them, they're going.

Leo the Dog May 13, 2015 8:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ucsbgaucho (Post 7026072)

Does anyone actually think the Chargers are staying? I've flip flopped both ways, but I think San Diego is just too far away from getting anything even close to finding a location and financing a new stadium. I think the Chargers have made their minds up and are moving. They're just trying to let us down softly.

They're just playing a game with the public as to not alienate a fan base that'll eventually drive to LA to see a game, much like how Angelenos drive down here.

mello May 14, 2015 5:49 AM

A three hundred foot tower at UTC would be awesome I really hope that can come online. It seems like we have been waiting so long for Westfield to move forward with their redos from North to South -- Carlsbad, UTC, then Horton Plaza. Seems like Carlsbad has finally gotten going.

Leo: I totally disagree with you about the Chargers, they don't have the capital to make it work in Carson even if they get 400 million in PSL money the Raiders are a wild card and will Spanos pay 600 million himself plus a relocation fee? I just don't see that happening and the Spanos family is not worth that much, they are "cheap greeks" and very poor by major sports franchise owner standards. They have equity in their team and thats about it.

Their only chance is to be Kroenke's tenant in Inglewood and he will want to chill in LA and establish the Rams for 4 to 5 years first because he is paying for everything himself. This will give SD time to get things done and the Raiders are a better fit to be his "b**ch tenant" in The Wood.

a very long weekend May 14, 2015 6:14 AM

wow, hadn't considered that the folks proposing that suburban stadium down in l.a. were targeting the san diego football team, i thought it was the raiders and (i guess?) saint louis. anyway, san francisco recently lost the 49ers to san jose (santa clara technically, but it's san jose). for us here, that's about 50 miles away from sf. it looks like san diego to that weird ingleside proposal is well over 100 miles, big difference. with how san diego is improving out of the retirement community/military town era, it would be a shame to lose the team now, of all times in the town's history.

Leo the Dog May 14, 2015 4:03 PM

Mello, I've gone both ways on the issue. Just seems like simply picking an obvious location is a struggle here. I'd say it's 60/40 they leave. I hope they stay though!

I know the Carson project has hurdles, but at least they have a site and their city council has approved it. SD is so far behind these milestones.

ucsbgaucho May 14, 2015 6:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leo the Dog (Post 7026289)
Does anyone actually think the Chargers are staying? I've flip flopped both ways, but I think San Diego is just too far away from getting anything even close to finding a location and financing a new stadium. I think the Chargers have made their minds up and are moving. They're just trying to let us down softly.

They're just playing a game with the public as to not alienate a fan base that'll eventually drive to LA to see a game, much like how Angelenos drive down here.

The fee to move that the NFL is going to charge is going to be upwards of $600-800 million dollars for each team. Spanos isn't necessarily the richest owner out there, as we all know. And that's a lot of money to have to recoup, it's going to take a long time to get that money back. If they can get something in SD, I think they'd prefer to stay and save that money. But maybe not, who knows

SDCAL May 14, 2015 7:54 PM

ComicCon

As we debate the fate of the Chargers, ComicCon is being more quietly lured to Anaheim or LA by officials in those two cities. It seems like all the attention is being put on the Chagers, and my fear is that without our city making efforts to retain ComicCon, next year (the last in the current lease) could be the end for the iconic event that originated here.

Maybe stuff is going on behind the scenes, and if anyone has any information I'd love to hear it, but from what I can see the Chargers are taking up all of our mayors time.

I agree with those saying the Chargers have already made up their mind and I think they are pretty much just putting on a dog and pony show now to try and not isolate fans here. A lot of people from OC commute to SD for Chargers games, so they probably think the reverse will be true if the Chargers move to Carson.

If both the the Chargers and ComicCon leave on his watch, Mayor Faulconer will go down as the worst mayor in our city's history. People can get past sex scandals (Filner) and being convicted of a felony in office (Hedgecock), but two of our most iconic and lasting cultural institutions bailing for LA will not be forgiven. If I was Faulconer, I'd be quite panicked.

Leo the Dog May 14, 2015 11:49 PM

$2.3 million in security costs for the first year for The Waterfront Park. It requires 12 officers to keep the park secure. Seems a bit excessive and wasteful for 12 officers.
http://fox5sandiego.com/2015/05/13/s...y-report-says/

Just doing simply math: 46 security guards could be paid a salary of $50,000/year at this price.