SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Development (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=86)
-   -   CHICAGO | General Developments (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=105764)

lawfin Aug 2, 2009 7:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrLakepoint (Post 4385936)
:previous:

I think that it is completely stupid that they didnt make some extra underground parking, just above the red-line or under halsted street. A 12 car parking lot is a total joke for that area.

Your right there should be no parking since the store is literally about 27 steps from the door of a subway

lawfin Aug 2, 2009 7:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Busy Bee (Post 4386126)
Call me crazy, but shouldn't that plot of land have a high density mixed use development on it—not a stand alone retail store. Apple or not, and I'm a fan, but theres a freaking subway next door!

I agree a flatiron style building in the 10-15 story range would be nice....an addition to SONO....or whatever that is called now

the urban politician Aug 2, 2009 2:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Busy Bee (Post 4386126)
Call me crazy, but shouldn't that plot of land have a high density mixed use development on it—not a stand alone retail store. Apple or not, and I'm a fan, but theres a freaking subway next door!

^ Normally I would agree with you, but from all my experiences observing the foot traffic at Apple stores, I would actually gather that an Apple store generates even more trips than, say, a 6 or 7 story condo/apt building with ground level nail salons/dental offices ever would.

I think the Apple Store will draw a heck of a lot of transit/pedestrian traffic. I could be wrong, but that's my prediction.

the urban politician Aug 2, 2009 2:36 PM

Roosevelt/Canal

Does anybody know if construction has started yet on that multilevel retail center just north of the NW corner of Roosevelt and Canal? I remember seeing renderings of that project a few years ago and it would be nice to see something that properly addresses the street get built there to undo some of the aesthetic damage previous retail development has done in the area.

Busy Bee Aug 2, 2009 3:33 PM

I think a GREAT project would have been an Apple Store in the base of a 10-15 story flatiron style building. Then we'd have something.

VivaLFuego Aug 2, 2009 3:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ardecila (Post 4386091)
Many of the stores in the area offer parking because they sell heavy or bulky items, but most people walk away from the Apple Store with small items, so it's a perfect fit to be located next to a transit station.

As long as the 'parking' is just for hazard-lights loading/unloading of bulky items rather than, you know, parking.

the urban politician Aug 2, 2009 3:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VivaLFuego (Post 4386748)
As long as the 'parking' is just for hazard-lights loading/unloading of bulky items rather than, you know, parking.

^ Considering the small size of the lot and the large volume of traffic that visits an Apple store, I can't imagine a lot of such size serving any other purpose than rapid 15 minute loading, unloading etc, with the exception perhaps of a few spots devoted to handicapped and employee parking

the urban politician Aug 2, 2009 3:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Busy Bee (Post 4386746)
I think a GREAT project would have been an Apple Store in the base of a 10-15 story flatiron style building. Then we'd have something.

^ That project (with the exception of the Apple Store) is already planned nearby. But the economy has the ultimate say

ardecila Aug 2, 2009 6:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the urban politician (Post 4386772)
^ That project (with the exception of the Apple Store) is already planned nearby. But the economy has the ultimate say

Not anymore. A recent rendering showed that the residential component had been downsized, and there will now be only one mid-rise at the back of the lot.

I'm hoping that the corner building will still include the foundations for a tower, though.

pip Aug 4, 2009 1:47 AM

I couldn't figure out a better place to put this question.

Whenever there is an event who are City Events Staff? Like who do they work for, etc?

Busy Bee Aug 4, 2009 1:59 AM

^Probably a company one of Strogers family members run on the side. ;)

Mr Downtown Aug 4, 2009 2:44 AM

Can you be more specific? The ones who plan the major city festivals are from the Mayor's Office of Special Events. I know some of those folks, and they work really hard, and long hours (especially during the summer).

Other staffers, including ones you might see wearing shirts saying Events Staff, are probably Streets & San laborers or contract workers doing cleanup. But a lot of neighborhood street festivals receive no city services at all. So if you were at Fiesta del Sol or Northalsted Market Days over the weekend, guys you saw wearing such shirts were private contract workers hired by the chamber of commerce or the event management company. Some of the neighborhood fests are little more than fronts for a couple of shady companies that make lots of money off the beer booths.

pip Aug 4, 2009 3:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Downtown (Post 4388864)
Can you be more specific? The ones who plan the major city festivals are from the Mayor's Office of Special Events. I know some of those folks, and they work really hard, and long hours (especially during the summer).

Other staffers, including ones you might see wearing shirts saying Events Staff, are probably Streets & San laborers or contract workers doing cleanup. But a lot of neighborhood street festivals receive no city services at all. So if you were at Fiesta del Sol or Northalsted Market Days over the weekend, guys you saw wearing such shirts were private contract workers hired by the chamber of commerce or the event management company. Some of the neighborhood fests are little more than fronts for a couple of shady companies that make lots of money off the beer booths.

I would love to know who the private contractor for that event was. Event Staff shirts and clean up or de-setting up is my specific area of question. I didn't know it could be narrowed down like that and to narrow it down more the Roscoe/Halsted on Roscoe intersection, I know my question is now to detailed.

Thanks for your information.

edit and the company that was hired to take down the booths and stages.

J_M_Tungsten Aug 5, 2009 1:58 AM

Sorry to change topics all, but I have a couple a questions and I'm sure you guys can help me find the answers.

First off, what is with the vacant lot just south of Roosevelt and just west of Clark? That seems like a massive lot on river front property to just let sit there, who owns that land?

Second, I have been noticing a lot of activity going on around the homes on 15th and Blue Island and 15th and Ashland. I'm pretty sure that is CHA property and all the homes have been boarded up and landscaping has been cut down all within the last 2 days. It is now fenced off and looks like a construction zone, looking like its ready to be demolished?

Any info would be great thanks.

jcchii Aug 5, 2009 3:07 AM

clark and roosevelt goes back with connections to corrupt developer/businessman/political fundraiser/Blago henchman Tony Rezko. He has been bought out by his wealthy partner in the Middle East.

At one time there was a development planned for it, but who knows in the current economy

jcchii Aug 5, 2009 3:09 AM

this rundown is close to factual, best I can tell...the update being that Rezko is all the way out of the property now

http://rezkowatch.blogspot.com/2008/...5-million.html

VivaLFuego Aug 5, 2009 10:30 PM

http://blog.chicagoarchitecture.info...orth-rush.html
came across this snippet:
Quote:

Someone from the club is telling people that in 2011 the brownstones between 930 and the brand new Walgreen's may be demolished. To make way for what, we haven't heard.
Ugh. I can only assume yet more 1-story retail shit. Apparently, even small and constrained sites aren't enough to protect buildings from being replaced with crapola.

Despite the name "Chicago Architecture Blog" the blogger is surprisingly uninterested in architectural implications (e.g. demolition of historic structures) and more closely details trends and events in retail real estate. Interesting read and good info in a lot of posts.

spyguy Aug 5, 2009 11:35 PM

^We've talked about this development a little on SSC. Lonie Walker (on the Underground Wonder Bar's website) says that their lease has been extended through May, however, their plans to relocate to Division Street haven't worked out. Hopefully they'll find a new place nearby.

As for the development, yeah you're pretty much right.
http://img25.imageshack.us/img25/2379/29842894.jpg
There was another rendering with more floors on top but I assume those have been lopped off by now. I believe the building next door (east) will remain and probably turn into luxury retail space.

left of center Aug 6, 2009 4:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ardecila (Post 4385234)
Damen/Elston/Fullerton will be reconfigured, turning one intersection into three by building an Elston bypass around the area. The area isn't very built up, so this is an acceptable solution that saves a bunch of money for the city.

http://egov.cityofchicago.org/webpor...4_15_small.jpg

As for Ashland/Elston - I think the cheapest solution would again be an Elston bypass, using an alignment along Mendell Street and a new rail underpass under the UP-N line. The old alignment of Elston would become a dedicated Armitage-Cortland connector.

while it may ease up the traffic congestion, i dont like the precedent it sets for eliminating 6 way intersections in the city. i would almost prefer a flyover. definitely wouldnt mind a tunnel, but that isnt very cost effective.

denizen467 Aug 6, 2009 6:02 AM

^ Hardly any "precedent" there. It is a very unique situation requiring payment for tons of land -- and on top of that, land that is both unused/underutilized as well as held by only a few owners. The Vienna site has remained vacant for years just for this purpose. You can expect future 6-way resolutions to be by flyover or underpass.

ardecila - what are the businesses being kicked out for this (whirlyball and something to its south?)? Also, is it by eminent domain?