SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   City Compilations (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=87)
-   -   SAN DIEGO | Boom Rundown, Vol. 2 (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=126473)

Derek Apr 4, 2007 3:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eburress (Post 2741651)
Back to the FAA, does anybody know what actual power they have to influence things? I.E., do they have any real authority over that building in Kearny Mesa or what happens in downtown?

For example, if Pei/Cobb were to propose a 700 ft tall "signature" tower downtown that the CCDC approved, could the developers proceed with the building's construction without an FAA approval? Could the FAA stop them?

im guessing yes, considering it would "interfere" with flight operations due to the close proximity of the site, however, a 700 footer in the East Village near the water, then you could maybe have some challenges (as ive stated a million times...man i wish i was a developer:( )

Urban Sky Apr 4, 2007 4:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eburress (Post 2741651)
Back to the FAA, does anybody know what actual power they have to influence things? I.E., do they have any real authority over that building in Kearny Mesa or what happens in downtown?

For example, if Pei/Cobb were to propose a 700 ft tall "signature" tower downtown that the CCDC approved, could the developers proceed with the building's construction without an FAA approval? Could the FAA stop them? Would the government send in the National Guard to force the developers to stop construction?

Im guessing the FAA could stop them. and it wouldnt take the national guard. But in this case, they are both hiding behind each other (the city and the faa). The FAA is now just saying they want to respect the cities ruling on the matter etc...what a cop out.

The bottom line is, the rules were followed, the building was approved, contruction was started and now all of sudden everyone is changing their mind? It doesn't make sense to me.

eburress Apr 4, 2007 4:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Urban Sky (Post 2741635)

Oh shit - is that really a recent photo of her??? I'm almost certain it is a joke, but it really does look like her.

Derek Apr 4, 2007 4:02 AM

^yes, thats a recent photo:jester:

Urban Sky Apr 4, 2007 4:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eburress (Post 2741670)
Oh shit - is that really a recent photo of her??? I'm almost certain it is a joke, but it really does look like her.

no, that REALLY is a photo of her...no kidding.

Derek Apr 4, 2007 4:06 AM

latest on some projects:

Mondrian (Gray Development) – Centre City/Site Development Permit for 846 residential units (79 affordable) and approximately 33,000 square feet of commercial space in a 39-story (410 feet) tower located on the full block bounded by Eighth and Ninth avenues, and A and B streets. The project requires final approval by the Planning Commission, anticipated in June 2007 – East Village.
First & J (Bosa Development) – Marina Development Permit for 172 residential units and 22,600 square feet of street-level retail in a 38-story (438 feet) building located on the full-block site bounded by J Street and First, Second, and Island avenues. The project will involve an Owner Participation Agreement and the vacation and conversion of J Street into a public park/plaza – Marina.

havent seen this yet...
East Village Square Comprehensive Sign Plan (Cisterra/Bosa/JMI) – Centre City Comprehensive Sign Plan for the East Village Square, a master planned development located immediately north of the ballpark outfield between J and K streets, and Seventh and Tenth avenues. The proposed Sign Plan includes the previously approved signs at the Diamond View Tower project, project identification signs for the overall development, directories and directional signs for the overall development, and signs for individual tenants. This application requires approval by the City Council – East Village.

Urban Sky Apr 4, 2007 4:13 AM

Mondrian is 39 stories now?
What happened to:

"Gray Development is proposing a 42-story mixed-use project with 903 residential units (67 price-restricted) and approximately 47,800 square feet of commercial space on the block bounded by Eighth and Ninth avenues, and A and B streets. No construction schedule has been set."

http://www.ccdc.com/images/propertyImages/Mondrian.jpg

Urban Sky Apr 4, 2007 4:13 AM

also, i notived the commercial space went down and price-restricted units went up

Derek Apr 4, 2007 4:15 AM

^expect more changes, this project has gone through a lot...

Urban Sky Apr 4, 2007 4:18 AM

why are they choppin floors off? is donna involved in this one too? :haha:

Derek Apr 4, 2007 4:26 AM

well, at least it didnt really lose height (yet)

it was originally planned at 411'...now its down to 410'

Urban Sky Apr 4, 2007 4:32 AM

i didnt see any height figures, but i assumed it lost height since it lost floors. whats making up the difference? ornamentation? higher ceilings?

eburress Apr 4, 2007 4:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Urban Sky (Post 2741748)
i didnt see any height figures, but i assumed it lost height since it lost floors. whats making up the difference? ornamentation? higher ceilings?

I'm thinking it's more to do with ornamentation -- specifically the building's crown.

Urban Sky Apr 4, 2007 4:59 AM

i guess it doesnt matter then about the floors! reduce away! ;)

HurricaneHugo Apr 4, 2007 4:59 AM

it can stand to loose a couple of pounds:rant:

Urban Sky Apr 4, 2007 5:03 AM

too thick?

eburress Apr 4, 2007 5:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Urban Sky (Post 2741808)
too thick?

It is rather thick, but because of its location, I don't think that is a bad thing. Like I've said before, I think Mondrian will add a lot of density and there are plenty of nearby spots available for slender, sexy towers.

Derek Apr 4, 2007 5:11 AM

^its a good spot too, this along with VP are gonna increase pedestrian activity dramatically...

eburress Apr 4, 2007 5:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Urban Sky (Post 2741674)
no, that REALLY is a photo of her...no kidding.

Holy cow...she looks like the Crypt Keeper!!! Those are definitely not highway miles, either!

http://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/...ryptdvd250.jpg

http://fairuse.1accesshost.com/news2...s/15468307.jpg

BTW, the main reason I don't like Donna Frye is that she is a NIMBY. If you thought SD had a difficult time getting things done before, just wait until she is mayor.

Urban Sky Apr 4, 2007 5:13 AM

that spot has been on the cusp of having more activity anyway. theyve been revamping the ground-level business around that area for a while now anyway, so im sure this is going to help tremendously.