SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Completed Project Threads Archive (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=348)
-   -   NEW YORK | Central Park Tower (Nordstrom)| 1,550 FT | 131 FLOORS (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=191095)

antinimby Nov 14, 2013 2:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mistermetAJ (Post 6337582)
The base of the tower is so clunky, glassy, and off putting, I don't think it blends in at street level at all.

As for the tower portion, besides the obnoxious cantilever, a rectangle of glass is the definition of vanilla.

I'm not a big fan of One57th either, but at least it attempts to mass itself in a clever way and tack on some bells and whistles to the facade.

This is exactly how I feel. That base turns me off the most.

King DenCity Nov 14, 2013 3:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by antinimby (Post 6338495)
This is exactly how I feel. That base turns me off the most.

Same here! I feel like I could have dealt with the rest of the tower had the base been something a little less chaotic.

MrSlippery519 Nov 14, 2013 1:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by King DenCity (Post 6338583)
Same here! I feel like I could have dealt with the rest of the tower had the base been something a little less chaotic.

I am still reserving judgement until we see some real renders from multiple angles. Its far to difficult to tell currently what we will get, no use writing something off before it starts.

hunser Nov 15, 2013 5:14 PM

New York YIMBY: http://www.yimbynews.com/photostream...st-57th-street

http://www.yimbynews.com/wp-content/...1/IMG_6756.jpg

Excavation has finally started!! :cheers:

Hudson11 Nov 15, 2013 5:54 PM

finally, prep! :cheers:

nomad11 Nov 15, 2013 6:41 PM

I am not an expert, and I know this building could still potentially be 1,550 ft tall...but a 20-month excavation period...seriously?

gramsjdg Nov 15, 2013 11:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nomad11 (Post 6340810)
I am not an expert, and I know this building could still potentially be 1,550 ft tall...but a 20-month excavation period...seriously?

Pay no attention to the excavating equipment: they are going to dig it by hand.

:runaway:

King DenCity Nov 15, 2013 11:26 PM

20 months is pretty ridiculous, except... IT'S THE ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE!!! BUILD AS MANY SHELTERS AS YOU CAN!!! ;)

nomoremaos Nov 15, 2013 11:46 PM

New Mayor

Based on a story I read today, the new mayor's comments calls into question the growth in mid-town. Specifically citing the proposed skyscrapers. Wonder if this impacts the Nordstrom Tower development...

hunser Nov 15, 2013 11:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nomoremaos (Post 6341272)
Based on a story I read today, the new mayor's comments calls into question the growth in mid-town. Specifically citing the proposed skyscrapers. Wonder if this impacts the Nordstrom Tower development...

This project has nothing to do with the Midtown East rezoning. The tower is as-of-right and has financing, so it will be built.

nomoremaos Nov 16, 2013 2:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hunser (Post 6341286)
This project has nothing to do with the Midtown East rezoning. The tower is as-of-right and has financing, so it will be built.

Glad to hear, but have not read that they have secured financing...

hunser Nov 16, 2013 1:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nomoremaos (Post 6341425)
Glad to hear, but have not read that they have secured financing...

They have: http://www.globalconreview.com/news/...sks-china-1bn/. That's news back from June. I'm sure there's a more recent article somewhere around ...

Submariner Nov 16, 2013 7:31 PM

I was walking down 57th street last night...I haven't been there for a while. The lot for 225W is far larger than I thought when looking at photos, and it's hard to believe that it will rise over 400 feet taller than the already imposing (and stunning) One57. The exact opposite goes for 111W...the lot is even smaller than I imagined...

I wonder if other buildings on the street will come down or be redesigned to better reflect the money that is being put into this block. 57th near 5th is quite nice, but starts to loose a bit of the poshness once you head west.

Also, I would love to see those terrible condos on the corner of 58th and columbus circle come down in favor of a new tower...that would really complement that area nicely.

scalziand Nov 17, 2013 7:07 AM

I agree, it would be fantastic to see those go, but they are worth a fortune as-is, and it would be prohibitively expensive to get the residents to move.

NYguy Nov 22, 2013 2:41 PM

http://www.marketplace.org/topics/we...s-central-park

A tall tower threatens to darken New York's Central Park

by Sally Herships
Marketplace Morning Report for Friday, November 22, 2013

Quote:

Seven new buildings are going up in Midtown Manhattan. Many of these luxury towers will be within just blocks of Central Park. And that proximity has some area residents concerned about the buildings' impact on the open space and light in the park.

On 58th Street between Broadway and Seventh Avenue there’s a huge gap where a new building is soon to be built. The excavation site stretches down the block and the emptiness -- smack in the middle of Manhattan’s crowded Midtown -- is so pronounced that the street looks like it’s missing a tooth. But when construction is over the new tower will be taller than the Empire State building, reportedly the tallest residential tower in the country.

Standing across the street from the site, Layla Law-Gisiko, chair of the Landmarks Committee for Manhattan Community Board 5, says she’s concerned about the impact on the neighborhood. “The thing that you understand is that right now we see a lot of light, and a lot of sky," she says. In five years, this is gone. This is gone.”

The community, says Law-Gisiko, wasn’t able to review the plans for the new building, so she says she has no idea what it will look like -- only that it will be tall. The non-profit Environmental Simulation Center says the building’s shadows will stretch nearly a half a mile -- as far as the ice skating rink in Central Park.

Potentially more importantly to cold-weather park-goers, those shadows will linger. Law-Gisiko says she’s concerned about the impact of the buildings on the park, and on the people who use it.

“Is light and air a public resource?" she asks. "Or is it a resource to be used by one single developer?”

The answer to the question comes down to what are called air rights, the right to build in the space above a building. And as long as the developer owns those rights, which can be worth millions, there doesn’t have to be a public review process.

“New York is a city and it goes vertical,” notes Bob Shapiro, an air rights broker and president of City Center Real Estate. “Zoning, like the constitution,” he adds, “has to be flexible. Neighborhoods change.” Who, questions Shapiro, would have ever thought that Manhattan’s Meatpacking District would become a hot retail destination?

Shapiro’s office, a penthouse on the other side of Central Park, looks out over low rise residential buildings. A penthouse in one of the not yet completed super-towers on 57th street recently sold for more than $90 million dollars. But Shapiro says while that represents a windfall for the developer who owned those air rights, it’s also good business for the city.

“Usually for every one square foot of new building you build the city gets 15 dollars a foot in taxes,” he says.

Residents may not want tall buildings in their neighborhoods, but Josiah Madar, a research fellow with the Furman Center for Real Estate and Urban Policy at NYU, says that can make housing in their neighborhoods more expensive. If it’s hard to build new housing, as the population grows so does the price for apartments. Often times, Madar says, there’s only one way to build, and that’s up.

“That is a tough trade off between quality of life and new buildings, but it’s really the only way out,” he says.

Unfortunately, he says, it’s unlikely the units in the new buildings near Central Park will offer up affordable housing options for many New Yorkers. But Law-Gisiko says Community Board 5 hasn’t given up on working with the developers. Extell, the development company behind the new towers in her neighborhood has agreed to a meeting.

“The idea we’re two sides fighting with pitchforks is wrong. We’re helping them to build the best possible buildings,” she says, for the entire community, not just a penthouse for “one billionaire who wants to have a nice view.”

Submariner Nov 22, 2013 3:03 PM

People should consider not living in Manhattan if they're worried about shadows from buildings.

At any rate, I'll take a tall bright glass tower over the dull, dark, brown brick buildings there before. I feel that the recent trend of light colored glass buildings has helped to brighten up streets.

NYguy Dec 1, 2013 1:27 PM

Probably won't happen here, but it would be nice...

http://www.crainsnewyork.com/article...TATE/312019986

Room at the top for observation decks
New buildings mean more competition for stalwarts Empire State, Rock Center.

By Daniel Geiger
December 1, 2013

Quote:

.....Among the new arrivals will be one from megadeveloper Related Cos. It will open an observation deck in an office tower on which it is planning to break ground early next year at the corner of West 33rd Street and 10th Avenue in Hudson Yards.

Meanwhile, SL Green is also considering a plan to open a viewing deck at the top of a soaring office spire it wants to erect directly across Grand Central Terminal on Vanderbilt Avenue.

Not to be outdone, Gary Barnett, the prolific developer who is building one of the tallest residential skyscrapers in the world, on West 57th Street near Broadway, said that he too has considered getting into the observation-deck business.

chris08876 Dec 1, 2013 3:00 PM

^^^^^^^^^^^
That's a good positive outlook. Developers are realizing that in a city that is an architects/engineers wet dream, people will pay to see unreal views. Especially from angles deviating from the ESB or Rockefeller Center.

Hypothalamus Dec 4, 2013 6:03 PM

New York YIMBY:

Construction Update: 217 West 57th Street
BY: NIKOLAI FEDAK ON DECEMBER 4TH 2013 AT 12:00 PM
PHOTO CREDIT: Andrew McKeon

Quote:

Work is currently concentrated on the eastern side of the lot, and comparing images with the last update reveals several interesting changes – most notable is the bedrock underneath, which is now visible. Manhattan schist was a factor in Midtown’s initial high-rise boom, and 217 West 57th is yet another reminder of how close the skyscraper-friendly substrate lies to the surface.

The depth of the site means work is still in its infancy, and digging will be the primary activity through 2014. Completion of Extell’s 1,423′+ tower is expected by 2018.
http://www.yimbynews.com/wp-content/...12/217w571.jpg
217 West 57th Street - photo from Andrew McKeon

http://www.yimbynews.com/wp-content/...12/217w572.jpg
217 West 57th Street – photo from Andrew McKeon

Submariner Dec 4, 2013 7:34 PM

Why is it going to take over a year to dig out this site?