SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   City Compilations (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=87)
-   -   SAN DIEGO | Boom Rundown, Vol. 2 (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=126473)

SDfan Dec 10, 2015 8:36 PM

Look what Bosa just scooped up. Keep in mind, they also own property in this part of downtown as well.

http://www.sandiegometro.com/2015/12...t-dec-10-2015/

SDfan Dec 10, 2015 8:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by a very long weekend (Post 7263297)
probably the wrong place to ask, but it looks like i'll be in san diego for christmas, can i ask you for architectural tour type recommendations? PM is fine, or a link to some SD-general forum perhaps? excited to finally spend some time down there (from SF).

I dislike this group, but check out Save Our Heritage Organization (SOHO). They hold various tours across the city. I have no idea on how frequently or where exactly, but they advertise these events frequently.

Streamliner Dec 10, 2015 9:28 PM

The Cross Border Xpress terminal opened yesterday:

http://www.gannett-cdn.com/-mm-/31c0...irport-003.jpg

Cross-border airport? New California terminal extends to Mexico
Eliot Spagat, Associated Press
USA Today
December 8, 2015

Quote:

SAN DIEGO (AP) — The U.S.-Mexico border is one of the world's most fortified international divides. Starting Wednesday, it will also be one of the only that has an airport straddling two countries.

An investor group that includes Chicago billionaire Sam Zell built a sleek terminal in San Diego with a bridge that crosses a razor-wire border fence to Tijuana's decades-old airport. Passengers pay $18 to walk a 390-foot overpass to Tijuana International Airport, a springboard to about 30 Mexican destinations.

Target customers are the estimated 60% of Tijuana airport passengers who come to the United States, about 2.6 million last year. Now they drive about 15 minutes to a congested land crossing, where they wait up to several hours to enter San Diego by car or on foot. The airport bridge is a five-minute walk to a U.S. border inspector.
The only other cross-border airport known to industry experts is in the European Union — between Basel, Switzerland, and France's Upper Rhine region — but it carries none of the political freight of San Diego and Tijuana.
Link to article

superfishy Dec 10, 2015 10:28 PM

Awesome. I like the minimalist architecture of it as well, but an $18 fee to cross seems rather steep. Especially if you have to pay it again to get back. Almost $40 might negate the possible savings you would get by choosing to fly from TIJ.

mello Dec 11, 2015 2:47 AM

I really think if marketed correctly this bridge/terminal could turn the Tijuana airport in to a Ft. Lauderdale type situation for San Diego. It is perfect for a Frankfurt flight and a Southern Asia either Hong Kong, Manila, or Taipei. They already have 3 Shanghai Flights a week but I heard they are expensive. As of now San Diego has completely opened up to Latin America rich people from Lima, Panama, Mex City, Bogota, etc can get here so easily now maybe we can become like a mini Miami.

sixonenine Dec 11, 2015 6:59 AM

http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/...winds-history/

The ending of the article makes me so sad, we need to take a leap guys!

dl3000 Dec 11, 2015 3:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sixonenine (Post 7266264)

Sure seems like Pendleton is one of the cornerstones of the Navy/Marine Corps operation. Doubt they'll want civil airliners interrupting their training exercises and flying over sensitive airspace. Miramar is much more likely to get phased out (less so since El Toro closed), but it was nearly closed two or three times in its history, and it is in a good location in the city. All depends on whether University City and La Jolla would ever buy off on it, HUGE hurdle. Plus, the public already voted it down in the heat of the Iraq war.

spoonman Dec 11, 2015 4:47 PM

I think we have a better shot with Pendleton and the Military than we do with Miramar and the NIMBYs (not that Miramar is available anyhow)

sixonenine Dec 11, 2015 5:50 PM

Ideally, I like the idea of having the Miraramar airport in the middle of SD, Camp Pendleton to the north and Tijuana airport to the south and then get rid of Lindbergh field once and for all and build a second downtown, maybe call it Newtown or something.

nezbn22 Dec 11, 2015 6:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SDfan (Post 7265502)
Look what Bosa just scooped up. Keep in mind, they also own property in this part of downtown as well.

http://www.sandiegometro.com/2015/12...t-dec-10-2015/

Very underrated how much of downtown Bosa still owns even after putting up all his high-rise condo projects. I know he's got:

- the last empty block in the Marina District (1st/2nd/Island/J);
- the Paladion building (he'll knock that down and go up at some point);
- the Office Depot lot (will also be scrapped in favor of condo high-rise);
- the lot west of Santa Fe Depot (condo high-rise in the works);
- Kettner & Ash (high-rise condos ready to go up at any time);
- empty block just south of Blue Sky (8th/9th/B/C);
- and now the Broadway Block.

That's just what I'm aware of. He can pretty much single-handedly control the pace of the downtown condo market. Man it'd be fun to be that guy...

SDCAL Dec 11, 2015 6:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by a very long weekend (Post 7263297)
probably the wrong place to ask, but it looks like i'll be in san diego for christmas, can i ask you for architectural tour type recommendations? PM is fine, or a link to some SD-general forum perhaps? excited to finally spend some time down there (from SF).

What part of SD will you be staying in? I think Balboa Park and downtown are the big "don't miss" things. We also have other great neighborhoods like center city areas North Park - Hillcrest area. North Park has become a great alternative for restaurants and urban life with a more less-mainstream vibe. There's also La Jolla which is more of an upscale beach community.

nezbn22 Dec 11, 2015 6:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nezbn22 (Post 7266735)
Very underrated how much of downtown Bosa still owns even after putting up all his high-rise condo projects. I know he's got:

That's just what I'm aware of. He can pretty much single-handedly control the pace of the downtown condo market. Man it'd be fun to be that guy...

And then I saw this literally right after making my last post:

http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/...-zephyr-shell/

Add the northern portion of 10th/11th/A/B to his list.

SDCAL Dec 11, 2015 6:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nezbn22 (Post 7266735)

For the most part I like the Bosa Developments, especially looking forward to the two towers on the embarcadero next to Electra and one America plaza. The negative thing about 1 developer having so much though is that it seems like they move slower. I wish Bosa felt more comfortable proceeding with multiple large scale projects simultaneously, but I know that's risky for any developer.

SDCAL Dec 11, 2015 6:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mello (Post 7265410)
Looks like San Diego's "Front Porch" is going to be pretty respectable in a few years with the new BOSA towers, Navy Broadway, and a revamped Sea Port Village wow things are looking up. If the port was smart they would get moving on the Navy Pier Park as well, I'm kind of surprised they aren't making Manchester do that as part of the deal to develope NBC.

Do you think Manchester has tenants who have expressed interest or agreed to be there? And, if so, why aren't they making this public? I'm comparing it to 7th/Market where the big-name tenants are already public (Ritz and Whole Foods). Some of us who are skeptical of what Manchester is trying to do at this really important site might get a better feel for the overall vibe of the project of we knew who will be operating there. I'm curious if it's going to be really high-end or more modest like Lane Field. I also hope it will include something locals can enjoy, a rooftop or top floor lounge or something overlooking the bay would be cool.

spoonman Dec 11, 2015 7:05 PM

^Knowing Manchester, I think the tenants will be very high end. I would expect the hotel to be a Mandarin or a boutique offering. On the office side, I thought I heard something about him attracting a biotech firm that wanted a prestigious address. While not a typical space for a biotech company, it would be a refreshing change.

Nerv Dec 16, 2015 1:49 AM

I actually like the Manchester project and think it's a nice contrast to what we already have in the city. If it lives up to the renderings it will look fine.

They also seem to think they can shake off any more lawsuits by Mr. Briggs and start tearing down things by March or April. We'll see. It seems that Cory's arguments have been pretty weak for stopping construction but you never know.

Nerv Dec 16, 2015 1:58 AM

Actually the Manchester project, the Brigantine project, finishing up Lane Field and the coming Bosa high rises in that area along with other touches we've seen happen there recently will make over what used to be a pretty bland section of the city in a few years.

I'm crossing my fingers that it all happens.

eburress Dec 16, 2015 2:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sixonenine (Post 7266264)

What does anybody really expect? San Diego has to be the least "can do" major city in the US. For the life of me, I can't think of another city that's nearly as hapless, which is particularly bad when one considers what SD could be.

sixonenine Dec 16, 2015 8:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eburress (Post 7272177)
What does anybody really expect? San Diego has to be the least "can do" major city in the US. For the life of me, I can't think of another city that's nearly as hapless, which is particularly bad when one considers what SD could be.

I agree it makes me so sad to see so much potential for this city and not have big things happen here.

HurricaneHugo Dec 17, 2015 6:32 AM

Does anybody know what they're doing on the 15 between University and El Cajon?

Lots of new columns going up.

Are they expanding the park that's on top of the freeway?

I sure hope so, or at least another lid for more space