SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   City Compilations (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=87)
-   -   SAN DIEGO | Boom Rundown, Vol. 2 (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=126473)

staplesla Jan 28, 2009 6:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kpexpress (Post 4053322)
I just returned home from pulling an all-nighter at school and on the walk back I stopped off at the Stratta construction site to ask if the rumors of the project being scaled back to 12 floors instead of 23 floors were true. The first dude I talked to looked as if he was a lower-todum-pole guy and he said he didn't know how tall it was going, but he hadn't heard of any news of the project being scaled down at all. I wasn't satisfied, so I walked down to a small group of hard hat wearing men to ask further. I asked this tall white guy with a 'stache (he looked like one with some varying degree of authority and knowledge of the site) and he said that the project hasn't been scaled back, and in fact the total height will be 23 floors as originally designed.

good news!

SDCAL Jan 31, 2009 5:31 AM

kpexpress
"I asked this tall white guy with a 'stache (he looked like one with some varying degree of authority and knowledge of the site) "

LOL, OK - - I guess short ethnic men without hair on their upper lip just look clueless ;)

kpexpress Jan 31, 2009 9:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SDCAL (Post 4059442)
kpexpress
"I asked this tall white guy with a 'stache (he looked like one with some varying degree of authority and knowledge of the site) "

LOL, OK - - I guess short ethnic men without hair on their upper lip just look clueless ;)

Just sayin' it like it looked man.

bmfarley Feb 1, 2009 1:28 AM

School District says no to contributing to study to examine the possibility of a school, such as a high school, to be a part of the $180m downtown library.

This was discussed here within the past 2-8 weeks; this is an update. Board members cited a handful of reasons for declining to contribute 90% of the study's $167k cost, or about $150k. Cited was that the school district is suffering shortfall, is considering shutting down elementary schools, and questions the need for a downtown high school. Basically, it does not make sense.

Therefore, it would seem the library project is on schedule to be cancelled.

HurricaneHugo Feb 3, 2009 6:19 AM

I need a little help on a photo essay for my urban studies class...I need to "take" pictures that answer this question: When and where should the state (government) step in and have a say in urban design and/or architecture?

Obviously a couple of pictures of suburbia, then maybe of the waterfront, any other ideas? I need enough to write three pages on the subject lol.

bmfarley Feb 3, 2009 8:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HurricaneHugo (Post 4064218)
I need a little help on a photo essay for my urban studies class...I need to "take" pictures that answer this question: When and where should the state (government) step in and have a say in urban design and/or architecture?

Obviously a couple of pictures of suburbia, then maybe of the waterfront, any other ideas? I need enough to write three pages on the subject lol.

On the surface, those seem like success stories, even suburbia, while the question seeks failures in leadership in urban design and/or architecture. I'd suggest pics where architectural themes are widely inconsistent with each other, or the failures of suburbia. Maybe:
  • Santa Fe Depot with Sapphire in the background
  • Traffic on I-15
  • Traffic in Mission Valley
  • Traffic in Sorrento Valley
  • 11th Ave Bus Stop at SmartCorner (under-designed for level of use)

That is all I got for now.

kpexpress Feb 3, 2009 9:30 PM

Quick question for everyone who frequents this thread: where does everyone live? If in SD, which neighborhood?

I live Downtown in the East Village (although being the biggest of all downtown neighborhoods, I have heard it being called the Ballpark District, but I prefer to call it SOMA)

Fusey Feb 3, 2009 11:12 PM

I'm in the Marina for now, but I'm leaning towards buying a house closer to work (Mission Valley). In my opinion downtown needs more to justify the cost of living there. I read this literally 10 seconds before reading your post:

Quote:

Downtown group orders its priorities
Residents rank library, dog park, other projects

By Jeanette Steele
Union-Tribune Staff Writer
12:02 p.m. February 3, 2009

Everybody seems to be penning wish lists these days for government funding, what with President Obama poised to dole out $500 billion for public works projects.
The San Diego Downtown Residents Group has a wish list, too. Gary Smith, president of the 300-member association, delivered it to San Diego's downtown redevelopment agency last month.
The nonprofit Centre City Development Corp. has been leaderless since July, when former President Nancy Graham resigned, meaning there's no one at the top to dictate which projects get attention. But the downtown residents want to be heard.
Topping the list is the Quiet Zone project, which would install new railroad crossings from Laurel Street to Fifth Avenue so trains wouldn't have to blow their horns at night (and downtown residents can get a good night's sleep). City officials have asked the Obama administration for $20 million toward this project.
Vote here.

I'd love to see something done about the waterfront. There's unlimited potential there and, unfortunately, the city seems to be satisfied with the status quo. Over the weekend I ran into some French tourists and that was their number one complaint as well (they ended up going to PB instead).

staplesla Feb 3, 2009 11:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kpexpress (Post 4065522)
Quick question for everyone who frequents this thread: where does everyone live? If in SD, which neighborhood?

I live Downtown in the East Village (although being the biggest of all downtown neighborhoods, I have heard it being called the Ballpark District, but I prefer to call it SOMA)

I live in La Jolla, just a few blocks from Prospect. We've been in CA for 2 years.

CoastersBolts Feb 4, 2009 1:48 AM

I live in Allied Gardens but from Rancho Bernardo. Despite the fact that my parents live in Carlsbad (I don't), I have never lived outside the San Diego city limits while I've lived in San Diego County.

HurricaneHugo Feb 4, 2009 6:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bmfarley (Post 4064367)
On the surface, those seem like success stories, even suburbia, while the question seeks failures in leadership in urban design and/or architecture. I'd suggest pics where architectural themes are widely inconsistent with each other, or the failures of suburbia. Maybe:
  • Santa Fe Depot with Sapphire in the background
  • Traffic on I-15
  • Traffic in Mission Valley
  • Traffic in Sorrento Valley
  • 11th Ave Bus Stop at SmartCorner (under-designed for level of use)

That is all I got for now.

Well with the waterfront I was thinking about how the bay is blocked off by the Convention Center/Hilton/Hyatt/Marriot, etc;

HurricaneHugo Feb 4, 2009 8:00 AM

New way to save the library:

http://www3.signonsandiego.com/stori.../?zIndex=47370

sandiego_urban Feb 5, 2009 12:06 AM

Quote:

Been a long time since I've posted here, anyways, I live in Kensington.

bmfarley Feb 5, 2009 5:03 AM

Quote:

Bankers Hill

SD_Phil Feb 5, 2009 7:41 AM

Quote:

Hillcrest

HurricaneHugo Feb 5, 2009 10:05 AM

Quote:

Reppin' da hood.

I'm straight outta Mount HOpe!

but i'm an OG from Sherman Heights

or "She-hey" as the yuppies like to call it

kpexpress Feb 5, 2009 10:26 AM

East Village News:

http://www3.signonsandiego.com/stori.../?zIndex=48085

kpexpress Feb 5, 2009 11:01 AM

I know a photographer who is coming from out of state to do a couple photoshoots with some local models. She is looking for a place downtown or somewhere else that has some contemporary highrises with roof top decks overlooking the city or ocean. Anyone have any ideas for some locations for these shoots? I know that SmartCorner, Icon, Marriott all have roof tops, but I need some help. Please chip in some ideas, and if you know of anyone who might be able to get her up to some of the roof top decks listed above or not listed please let me know. Thanks.

Crackertastik Feb 5, 2009 4:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HurricaneHugo (Post 4064218)

In my opinion, you could use the Hyatt, Marriott, and Convention Center Waterfront developments as an example of the government failing to step in to protect the interests of the city residents. The waterfront there is completely sealed off to the residents and the city. It was terrible planning, and execution. It was a misstep that our city government did not demand these projects include public access to the waterfront.

voice of reason Feb 5, 2009 5:08 PM

Waterfront sealed off?

Perhaps the planning for the convention center and the adjacent hotels was not the best. Mediocrity is what government does best. But there is access to the waterfront in those areas. One can go down the road to Seaport village, thru the Hyatt, around on the bike trail and then go to the large park that is by the water. There are a number of ingress/egress options that I use often without much of a problem. There is an ongoing project behind the Convention Center that will make it more enjoyable and accessable. What is the solution? Tear them down?