SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   St. John's (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=700)
-   -   [St. John's] Retail Thread (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=198935)

J_Murphy Jan 22, 2015 4:53 PM

Apparently Goodlife are eyeing the Target Stores

Quote:

GoodLife Fitness believes soon-to-be-closed Target locations might help it flex its muscle and expand across Canada — and it's offering job opportunities to current Target employees.

The privately held fitness centre operator said it will expand to more than 350 clubs across the country by this spring, and is aiming for 400 clubs by the end of the year.

"The former Target locations provide spacious and convenient locations that would be an excellent space for people to achieve their fitness goals," said GoodLife founder and CEO David Patchell-Evans in the statement.

Patchell-Evans noted that GoodLife has experience converting retail spaces into gyms, having acquired 12 former Eaton's locations in 1999.

Target's Canadian stores are good locations with lots of parking, making them prime candidates for fitness clubs, said GoodLife chief operating officer Jane Riddell in an interview with CBC News.

"We are very innovative when it comes to renovating space and making great looking and great feeling clubs for our members," said Riddell.

A landlord's perspective

From a retail landlord's perspective, a GoodLife fitness club might not be as desirable as a Target store, said Rick Pennycooke, a commercial real estate analyst and president of the Lakeshore Group.

"[GoodLife members are] going there to work out, and then they're going either on to work or going home," said Pennycooke. "They're going there not as a destination to shop, but to do something else."

In contrast, Target serves as an "anchor" store for many shopping centres, intended to draw shoppers in to neighbouring stores.

Some Target locations could also be too large for GoodLife clubs, added Pennycooke.

"If GoodLife wants to take over a good portion of that space, what does the landlord do with the rest of it?"

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/good...yees-1.2919823

That would be one awfully large gym.

Arrakis Jan 22, 2015 6:42 PM

A typical IKEA building is about 3 times the size of the current Target Building on Stavanger. St john's does not have the population base to support an IKEA store anyway. Though IKEA is talking about opening smaller stores in Canada, they would only be about 37000 sq feet and basically be a pick up for catalogue orders from what I understand.

Quote:

Originally Posted by wmemeadusjr (Post 6885146)
The soon to be empty Target building on Stavanger Drive, in my opinion, would be a great location for IKEA. Sandwiched right in between Costco and Kent, it would certainly be an ideal spot.

iLoveYatget Feb 3, 2015 12:26 AM

A Walmart Canada rep told me on their favebook page that there are no plans for a Walmart Supercentres in the metro area in the immediate future.

rthomasd Feb 3, 2015 1:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iLoveYatget (Post 6899343)
A Walmart Canada rep told me on their favebook page that there are no plans for a Walmart Supercentres in the metro area in the immediate future.

Interesting. Walmart staff I've talked to have been told that renovations will start Feb/March to convert at least two of the stores into Supercentres. The Kelsey and Merchant drive stores already have the area on the side ready for expansion.

Malreynolds Feb 3, 2015 2:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rthomasd (Post 6899383)
Interesting. Walmart staff I've talked to have been told that renovations will start Feb/March to convert at least two of the stores into Supercentres. The Kelsey and Merchant drive stores already have the area on the side ready for expansion.

i work at walmart and its been said a few times by management that at least two of the stores are being converted but they arent going to come out and tell the public until they officially announce it

iLoveYatget Feb 3, 2015 2:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Malreynolds (Post 6899434)
i work at walmart and its been said a few times by management that at least two of the stores are being converted but they arent going to come out and tell the public until they officially announce it

I would say that if they do it will be Kelsey and merchant. They won't bother to put a superstore by Costco. Wonder will Topsail Rd close then?

IronMan Feb 7, 2015 3:05 PM

I notice that the space in the Avalon Mall that used to be Bogarts and the Sony Store is being renovated for a new Bootleger. Given then that Bootleger is moving up from downstairs, and that next door Rickies is moving to Aberdeen Avenue in the old Pets Unlimited building (along with a new Cleo store), I wonder what they have in mind for this downstairs space? This is a big area!

Malreynolds Feb 7, 2015 3:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IronMan (Post 6905327)
I notice that the space in the Avalon Mall that used to be Bogarts and the Sony Store is being renovated for a new Bootleger. Given then that Bootleger is moving up from downstairs, and that next door Rickies is moving to Aberdeen Avenue in the old Pets Unlimited building (along with a new Cleo store), I wonder what they have in mind for this downstairs space? This is a big area!

Maybe thats where sephora is going?

rthomasd Feb 11, 2015 8:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Malreynolds (Post 6899434)

Perhaps we'll hear something soon - According to today's news -
"Walmart Canada Plans Major Expansion: $340 Million For 29 New Supercentres
CP | By The Canadian Press"
MISSISSAUGA, Ont. - Wal-Mart Canada says it plans to complete another 29 supercentre projects in the fiscal year beginning Feb. 1.

The retailer says the expansion is expected to generate about 3,700 construction jobs, 1,000 store jobs and 300 distribution centre jobs across Canada.

The new supercentres are in addition to the 11 Wal-Mart supercentres which opened across Canada in January.

Wal-Mart Canada says the supercentre projects will cost about $230 and include the remodelling and expansion of several stores to add full grocery departments.

Another $75 million will be spent to add distribution centres and $35 million will be spent on e-commerce initiatives, raising the total capital outlay to about $340 million.

Wal-Mart says the locations of specific store and distribution centre projects will be announced over the coming weeks and months as projects become finalized.

The expansion will bring Wal-Mart Canada's store count to 396 by the end of January, 2016, consisting of 309 supercentres and 87 discount stores.

Marty_Mcfly Feb 11, 2015 9:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IronMan (Post 6905327)

That's the location for Sephora.

PoscStudent Feb 12, 2015 3:51 AM

I thought Sephora might go where Eddie Bauer was. Another large area.

Arrakis Feb 13, 2015 2:26 AM

Interesting article.

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/wha...hed-2015-02-11

displacednewfie Feb 25, 2015 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iLoveYatget (Post 6899448)
I would say that if they do it will be Kelsey and merchant. They won't bother to put a superstore by Costco. Wonder will Topsail Rd close then?

Realistically speaking can this area sustain multiple Walmart SuperStores and a Costco?

NewfBC Feb 26, 2015 5:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iLoveYatget (Post 6899448)

Why won't they put one by Costco? Costco is competition, to compete Walmart must improve the shopping experience. Converting a store to a Supercentre improves the shopping experience.

Ron.

SpongeG Feb 26, 2015 6:26 AM

i thought walmart was planning to make all walmarts supercentre stores.

IronMan Feb 27, 2015 2:44 PM

My understanding is that a WalMart Superstore is just a regular WalMart with an expanded grocery section with fresh produce, meats and bakery - maybe a bit bigger of a store? Don't see why this would not survive - especially in the Stavanger Drive area. Let's face it, that area is 'the' shopping district for the metro area - as much as the west-enders may not want to admit it. Don't think Galgay is going to be another Stavanger drive - maybe a watered down version such as Kelsey and Merchant. I'd say bring on the Supercenters at all locations (except Topsail of course - that store is just there to prevent a competitor from going in - I mean really, that store is just not up to par.)

Arrakis Mar 9, 2015 11:51 AM

Interesting story on Loblaws. I wonder if St. John's or Newfoundland is part of this plan? I know they have renovated two stores in St. John's so far.

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/bus...295583871.html

Arrakis Mar 9, 2015 1:18 PM

Also noticed that the area on Hebron Way where the now defunct cinemas were supposed to have gone has a new sign on the site advertising the space for lease. So I guess the hopes of the cineplex happening there are has now been decided. Too bad for the new restaurants that opened in that area for the sole purpose of servicing the movie going customers.

goodgrowth Mar 10, 2015 5:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arrakis (Post 6943387)
Also noticed that the area on Hebron Way where the now defunct cinemas were supposed to have gone has a new sign on the site advertising the space for lease. So I guess the hopes of the cineplex happening there are has now been decided. Too bad for the new restaurants that opened in that area for the sole purpose of servicing the movie going customers.

Huge blow that area/street if true. How many cinema screens were supposed to be going in that Cineplex?

Arrakis Mar 10, 2015 9:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by goodgrowth (Post 6945179)
Huge blow that area/street if true. How many cinema screens were supposed to be going in that Cineplex?

I think it was suppose to have been 8 screens. I think.