SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   City Compilations (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=87)
-   -   MEMPHIS | Development News (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=177212)

Wayward Memphian Sep 11, 2014 11:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Huntsvillenative (Post 6726333)
They're planning to buy the houses, most likely at double the value. That'll put twice as much in those middle to lower class residents to put towards better safer neighborhoods. There's about 250-300 homes in that darkened area. Most are small lot houses meaning less expensive to buyout.

It'll benefit Memphis' housing market once all the homes are bought up, and it'll benefit Graceland by being in a rural suburban area which will impact tourism on another level.

I knew something was up when I saw how close the new hotel would be to potential homes. Nobody builds a luxury resort in a residential backyard.

FYI, the new hotel will surpass any other hotel in Memphis as far as contemporary appeal is concerned. Far cry from DollyWood's resort or anything to date in Pigeon Forge or Gatlinburg.

Depends on what your looking for in a resort. I got two kids, Wilderness in the Smokies appeals to me more.

arkitekte Sep 12, 2014 12:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BnaBreaker (Post 6726317)
So...am I missing something here? Is EPE really going to displace hundreds of people just so they can create the illusion of 'a country setting' around their new Pigeon Forge style hotel?

Some here would say it's gospel. There's nothing of substance behind that other than hearsay and speculation.

Huntsvillenative Sep 12, 2014 7:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MEMFLY (Post 6726195)

This could be great for Memphis! As well as for Birmingham. Neither city has fielded a pro football team since the 1 year wonder XFL in 2001. People in Birmingham are already talking about Legion Field being a possible temporary home until their dome stadium can be built. Memphis could use the Liberty Bowl Stadium, which will most likely be the home field. If it can manage to stay in operation for longer than a year or two then Memphians should get behind it. Maybe it can become like the old USFL and push for a new stadium to replace the aging LBS.

The NAFL is also launching the very cool NAFL Network that resembles the NFL Network to carry the games via online streaming. It's gonna be a broadband television and radio network that will feature round the clock programming and reality based shows on the teams and league. This is BIG TIME!!!

Here's a video of the new network and what it will look like. :cheers:

Video Link

memphisborn Sep 14, 2014 2:53 PM

Negro League Museum

Memphis has a great history and connection to negro league baseball and should pursue a museum to tell that story i can see something like this part of the downtown experience next to auto zone park or in conjunction with a new convention center like rock & soul is connected to fedex forum. Birmingham has a blueprint for us to look @

http://www.myfoxal.com/story/2454279...eagues-museum:) :yes:

arkitekte Sep 14, 2014 5:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by memphisborn (Post 6729100)
Memphis has a great history and connection to negro league baseball and should pursue a museum to tell that story i can see something like this part of the downtown experience next to auto zone park or in conjunction with a new convention center like rock & soul is connected to fedex forum. Birmingham has a blueprint for us to look @

I've been to the Negro Leagues Baseball Museum in Kansas City; I really enjoyed it so I'm sure I'll eventually try to get to the one in Birmingham. I'm a big fan of baseball history; especially Jewell Box ballparks.

There are quite a few things that are either unique to Memphis or at least hold a great deal of history and importance in Memphis that have yet to be taken advantage of, however we've got some really good museums. The expansion/renovation of the National Civil Rights Museum was needed and will go a long way as far as bringing visitors to South Main. I wish that the Cotton Museum could rise a level to where it could expand as well.

James Owen Sep 14, 2014 10:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by memphisborn (Post 6729100)

Interesting that you mentioned that. At one time, the Redbirds wanted to renovate one of the buildings right next to Autozone Park into a museum that celebrated the history of minor-league baseball. Those plans never materialized, unfortunately.

http://198.65.4.37/Ballpark/museum.asp

Maybe it's time to revisit that idea.

memphisborn Sep 15, 2014 1:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by James Owen (Post 6729501)
Interesting that you mentioned that. At one time, the Redbirds wanted to renovate one of the buildings right next to Autozone Park into a museum that celebrated the history of minor-league baseball. Those plans never materialized, unfortunately.

http://198.65.4.37/Ballpark/museum.asp

Maybe it's time to revisit that idea.

I definitely think its time to revisit National Past Time was a great idea it focused on women league, Negro League, and also minor and Major league players. A museum like this would be another Jewel for Memphis:yes:

arkitekte Sep 16, 2014 9:56 PM

New shuttle to launch between Midtown hot spots
http://www.bizjournals.com/memphis/n...-hotspots.html

Quote:

On Sept. 18, Premier Transportation will unveil a "one-of-a-kind vehicle" to transport patrons from Overton Square to the Cooper-Young neighborhood.

CEO Ham Smythe says the company is "very thrilled with the preliminary enthusiasm from vendors and restauranteurs." He sees a much wider range of use for the service, though, than night-spot hopping. He hopes that Memphis citizens who live in local neighborhoods can use the shuttle as a minor part of their public transportation strategy. Also, "people could just ride around if they want." At $2 a round-trip, it certainly sounds possible
Quote:

The bus is wheel-chair accessible and will be able to hold around 20 people. The round-trip takes 30 minutes with the bus stopping in 10 places in Overton Square, Cooper-Young and the route in between. Smythe hopes to expand the service with more vehicles.

According to a release, the service will operate on Thursday evenings from 5 p.m. until midnight and Friday and Saturday from 5 p.m. until 2 a.m.
This is an overall good idea. Too bad the trolley doesn't run all of the way down Madison through Overton Square and down to Cooper Young like it used to. I am kinda curious about the 10 stops in Overton Square though; it's not like Overton Square is that big, that's like Stopping at Memphis Pizza Cafe, then stopping at Golden India, then at Local, etc.

Chris Warren Sep 17, 2014 12:13 AM

Southern Airways Moving Hub to Memphis International

Southern Airways Express is moving its primary hub from Olive Branch Airport in DeSoto County to a private terminal located at Memphis International Airport.

The move, announced Tuesday, Sept. 16, will be effective Oct. 1 and is the result of customer needs and a recently completed deal with Signature Flight Support.

“What we found in talking with our customers is they wanted a more uniform transportation system and what that means is the ability to transfer between Southern and other national and international flights,” said Southern Airways Express chairman and CEO Stan Little.

All Memphis-area Southern Airways departures and arrivals will use Signature’s private terminal at 2488 Winchester Road, but the jets will utilize Memphis International runways and landing systems, which Little said would allow Southern Airways planes to land in any weather.

The deal also allows Southern Airways to use Memphis International’s code for global ticket distribution, which means Southern Airways tickets will now be available on websites such as Expedia, Orbitz and Kayak.

“We’ll be going live on those sites within the next few weeks,” said Little.

Just like at its current terminal at Olive Branch Airport, Southern Airways passengers will still enjoy 20-minute check-in times, no Transportation Security Administration checkpoints, no bag fees and free parking within 100 feet of the entrance to the departure terminal.

Signature’s terminal at Memphis International was the original terminal for Memphis Municipal Airport, which was built in 1936. The last scheduled airline flight from the terminal was on June 6, 1963 — a Southern Airways flight to Atlanta. The next scheduled airline flight from the Winchester Road terminal will be a Southern Airways flight to Atlanta.

Southern Airways is inviting the public to a reception on Oct. 1 at 11:30 a.m. for the departure of the airline’s first flight from its new home.

Southern Airways will serve Chattanooga and Knoxville; Destin, Fla.; Jackson and Oxford, Miss.; and Atlanta’s DeKalb-Peachtree Airport with nonstop and direct flights from Memphis International, which is the second-highest number of cities served by any carrier at the airport behind Delta Airlines.

Southern Airways tickets are currently available for purchase at iFlySouthern.com.

Trevor Birchett Sep 17, 2014 1:09 AM

Early news reports are that the Chisca Hotel caught on fire tonight. No word on damage yet.

MEMFLY Sep 17, 2014 1:09 AM

http://www.commercialappeal.com/news...inden_90137901 :( Hotel Chisca fire
Quote:

Memphis firefighters are battling a two-alarm fire in Downtown Memphis Tuesday night.

The fire is in a building at Main and Linden, a Memphis Fire Department spokesman said. The call came in around 7:15 p.m. and was brought under control about 25 minutes later. The building was vacant, and no one was injured.

DoomJ Sep 17, 2014 1:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MEMFLY (Post 6732436)

Just browsing twitter, Fox13 says just a small fire on the roof, quickly extinguished.

arkitekte Sep 17, 2014 1:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DoomJ (Post 6732452)
Just browsing twitter, Fox13 says just a small fire on the roof, quickly extinguished.

I just saw that too; that shouldn't carry with it any structural damage, however I saw on Fox13's website that someone was injured. No word if it was a firefighter or not.

arkitekte Sep 17, 2014 1:22 AM

Small Fire Contained On Roof Of Chisca Hotel
http://www.myfoxmemphis.com/story/26...f-chisca-hotel

Quote:

There were reported injuries and the cause of the fire is under investigation, said Memphis Fire spokesman Lt. Wayne Cooke.

kingchef Sep 17, 2014 4:51 AM

the announcement about cargill corn milling and processing plant was a bit of surprise, after they played the tax abatement game for tax breaks about year ago. you know the old son--"...either give us the breaks and the moon, or we can't do business for any numerous reasons..." in this case, memphis, according to the spokesman about a year ago, memphis was suddenly to far out of the cornbelt region, and w/out the improvements, it wouldn't be profitable to continue the memphis transport of corn into the mill. they got their tax break, but they continue to use the same excuse. so, hoe many employees are staying, and how many are going? they have about 430<> employees, of which 120 are contracted employees. that leaves about 310 regular employees. exactly what will the plant be producing?

the news reported it as somewhat a breeze to replace a similar facility of the 50 acres of prime real estate. apparently several companies are looking for wet, flat, frequently flooded grounds, on which to run a plant or corporation. what i don't understand is why we are seemingly unable to bring in companies year round. companies that pay very decent wages, very good benefits, and large numbers of employees. although we have some great companies, much of the time we have hasslam running over here to tell us about the dream jobs that might come, or the jobs that will ultimately employ 150 or 100, after three or for years. initially, they'll start out w/ 26 employees. afterwards, we hear all of the 200, 1500, 700+ employees for middle tn and east tn workers that are the better blue collar jobs for those tennesseans. we keep closing our eyes to it, but it keeps happening. they get the meat, while we get the grease. politics doesn't help us, most of the civil government is satisfied w/ keeping the status qou.

Wayward Memphian Sep 17, 2014 10:41 PM

Saw where Southern Airlines Express is moving to Memphis International, guess they are going to operate out of the other non main terminal building where Seaport is based. I recently priced a Seaport Flight fr9m Memphis to KCI to see what it would cost my Mom to fly up and meet us there for a weekend getaway. 169 dollars round trip. One stop in Harrison Arkansas. Little more than 3 hrs in the air. Small prop planes but not crowded.

Huntsvillenative Sep 18, 2014 11:53 PM

Crime in Memphis is becoming a serious problem. I am constantly reading about either killings, gunpoint robberies or racial tension going on in Memphis on a daily basis. But the scariest part is that the cops in Memphis are sitting back watching it all happen too and not doing anything about it. A lady recently reported to police that gang members tried to set her yard on fire and all the cop did was say "oh well". WTF???? When the cops do not care then a community is hopeless.

Now, today someone posted on Instagram a sad and disturbing pic of the famous Graceland wall at the front gates riddled with gang graffiti. This following the hood video by Rick Ross called Elvis Presley BLVD. And just a month since the scary episode of Drugs Inc featured the Graceland area on its show.

This is all concerning and all Memphians who care should be bringing this to the attention of the mayor, the media and the system. Because if they do not get it under control, outside businesses will never go there to open shop and the current businesses will pack up and move out. Memphis is getting closer and closer as the next Detroit.

I know the owners of Graceland and the city have plans to tackle crime in that area, but time is running out each day that passes and money left behind. I am concerned not just for the safety of the visitors but for the home itself. The sooner that EPE and the city remove residential areas such as the projects and low rate apartments nearby the sooner Graceland guest can feel safe. There's no sense in the city allowing that immediate area to dissolve the way they have. Just shows the lack of respect for Elvis and his legacy as well as his fans. Anaheim would never let Disney's neighborhood become a drug alley.

arkitekte Sep 19, 2014 12:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Huntsvillenative (Post 6735288)
This following the hood video by Rick Ross called Elvis Presley BLVD.

Yeah, that's not a very good look for Graceland. Any publicity is good publicity? Maybe, maybe not.

That song hits hard though.

BnaBreaker Sep 19, 2014 1:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Huntsvillenative (Post 6735288)
Memphis is getting closer and closer as the next Detroit.

Uh...have you ever been to Detroit?

XchillX Sep 19, 2014 2:12 AM

The path to connectivity: Greenprint maps a 25-year vision

http://http://www.highgroundnews.com...int091714.aspx

Quote:

The Memphis of 25 years from now will undoubtedly be a much more connected place, thanks to the Mid-South Regional Greenprint 2015/2040 initiative, which seeks to enhance livability and sustainability of the area by expanding the number of greenway trails from 50 miles to 500 miles in the next 25 years.
I'm truly excited to see the plans or this^^^ :tup: