SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   My City Photos (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=321)
-   -   A little bit of Milwaukee (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=172398)

aspiringArchitect Aug 10, 2009 1:32 AM

A little bit of Milwaukee

I took a daytrip up to Milwaukee last weekend since I had never been. I didn't get to get as many pics as I wanted because I was with my family and we were all in a hurry to cover as much ground as possible (which wasn't much) but I still got a few.

I am disapointed I didn't get any church photos, since there were sooo many up there. We start our walk on Old World 3rd Street, just west of the river.

Crossing the Wells St Bridge

The Milwaukee Art Museum

There were LOTS of weddings that day

I spy with my little eye...

Milwaukee has a big park along the lakefront with a great looking bike trail thal runs alongside it. This is the park in front of the museum.

And up the road a little bit, Veterans Park

The coolest thing about the museum is that its "wings" open and close:

I took alot of pictures of this museum

Milwaukee's version of Navy Pier in Chicago, I guess, Pier Wisconsin. It is home to another pretty big museum as well as a small ampitheater.

It never did actually rain that day.

One last one of the museum

We also stopped by a conservatory called 'The Domes' in Mitchell Park. It is comprised of 3 giant glass domes, each dome being a different biome. There was desert, tropical, and a "special" dome where they changed the display around a few times every year.

And that's it.

the Genral Aug 10, 2009 3:09 AM

Looks like Milwaukee has a lot to offer. Thanks for the tour. Fantastic!

sopas ej Aug 10, 2009 3:36 AM

Cool pics! I've been to those domes in Mitchell Park, too.

I really think Milwaukee is a very underrated city, I really liked it there the two times that I visited.

ShadowMaster Aug 10, 2009 4:11 AM

Mil has grown to be a city that I find both interesting and appealing, it has a lot to offer than the average folk or the misinformed person would tend to believe. I agree, it's quite underrated. I would like to see more of the Mil on SSP. Thanks!

OfCourse Aug 10, 2009 5:15 AM

Nice. I want to visit someday.

ady26 Aug 10, 2009 7:19 AM

Great Lakes cities have a particular air!

aspiringArchitect Aug 10, 2009 4:44 PM

Thanks guys. Milwaukee to me is deffinetly underated. Many cities in the Midwest actually seem underrated. When most people think of the midwest, they think of flat plains with lots and lots of farms, therefore that translates to boring cities as well, I guess.:( But for anyone thats from the Midwest or has actually been there, they know better than that.:)

flar Aug 10, 2009 7:24 PM

Thanks for the photos, I always stop for a look at Milwaukee photos.

stepper77 Aug 10, 2009 7:31 PM

A good friend of mine attended a conference in Milwaukee a couple years agi and said there wasn't much to see. But, as your photos attest, there certainly is. Great shots, thanks for sharing!

Sulley Aug 10, 2009 9:36 PM

Milwaukee is a great city. I've always enjoyed my time there. It reminds me of a wealthier Buffalo.

tgbAustinite Aug 10, 2009 11:31 PM

ah yes, my old stomping grounds....underrated city with underrated architecture. i never realized how many churches were there until i took a first-time visiter there and she pointed it out to me; i guess i was just used to seeing them so often. they are quite beautiful, as well. plenty to do and see in mil-town...
thanks for the great photos!:cheers:

TXLove Aug 11, 2009 12:09 AM

That little bit of Milwaukee shows alot of good stuff :yes: Thanks for sharing with us :tup:

RobertWalpole Nov 7, 2010 4:49 PM

Very beautiful.

Centropolis Nov 7, 2010 5:00 PM

There's not enough Milwaukee on here!

RobertWalpole Nov 7, 2010 5:11 PM

I might go there for a business trip, so I was curious to see what it looked like.

I envisioned an ugly, rustbelt city and was shocked by what stunning buildings it has.

Does anyone know if Milwaukee has any fountains or other water features downtown (other than the one shown in the park)? How about any great sculptures or monuments?

lawfin Nov 7, 2010 11:44 PM

Of of the understated gems in the US....luv Milw

tallboy66 Nov 8, 2010 12:10 AM

I need to take a day trip sometime. With my bike.;)

RobertWalpole Nov 8, 2010 1:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lawfin (Post 5046531)
Of of the understated gems in the US....luv Milw

I agree. I was quite shocked by the magnificent old buildings. They're really impressive.

highriser1 Nov 8, 2010 4:21 AM

You got quite a few pics there, and their all good!

edsg25 Nov 8, 2010 5:37 PM

You've captured the essence of Milwaukee very well. It's a terrific city.

We on the southwestern shores of Lake Michigan are very fortunate to have both Milwaukee and Chicago in our region, two metro areas in the process of joining up as one.