SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Canada (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   The Great Canadian Sports Attendance, Marketing and TV Ratings Thread (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=228928)

Acajack Nov 12, 2019 8:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JHikka (Post 8746478)
MLS Cups 2016 and 2017 were both the first Saturday of December, whereas MLS Cup 2019 was the second Sunday of November. Change of schedule and a worse time slot definitely played a factor in general viewing figures.

Definitely much less hype in 2019 than in 16 or 17. 16 obviously had hype because it was their first appearance and 17 because it was the best season an MLS team had ever had (and arguably the best team still). This year's team was much weaker and their run to the final was pretty unlikely.

Still wondering which league TSN chose to highlight on its main network Sunday? MLS or CFL?

thurmas Nov 12, 2019 8:23 PM

I get all 5 TSN's with Bell MTS I don't know which one is even the main network anymore.

JHikka Nov 12, 2019 8:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Acajack (Post 8746479)
Still wondering which league TSN chose to highlight on its main network Sunday? MLS or CFL?

CFL was on TSN1 and TSN5. TFC were on TSN4. I don't really think there's a main TSN anymore for anyone beyond the most basic of cable setups.

Acajack Nov 12, 2019 8:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JHikka (Post 8746482)
CFL was on TSN1 and TSN5. TFC were on TSN4. I don't really think there's a main TSN anymore for anyone beyond the most basic of cable setups.

I guess that's truer and truer.

Though a case can be made that the main network is the first one you hit when channel surfing upwards.

Many sports bars and restaurants for example will have their TVs tuned to that channel as a default, and only move to the other ones if there is something that is more of interest to their clientele on there.

esquire Nov 12, 2019 8:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Acajack (Post 8746505)
I guess that's truer and truer.

Though a case can be made that the main network is the first one you hit when channel surfing upwards.

Many sports bars and restaurants for example will have their TVs tuned to that channel as a default, and only move to the other ones if there is something that is more of interest to their clientele on there.

To thurmas' point, the cable providers in Manitoba include all 5 TSNs in their basic packages. To me, TSN3 is the one to have since it has regional Jets broadcasts. Someone in Quebec might be more interested in TSN5 which IIRC has the Habs regional broadcasts.

It's more of a regional assortment as compared to the US where ESPN is the big grand-daddy channel while ESPN2, ESPN News and all of the various other ESPN offshoots are secondary in nature.

JHikka Nov 12, 2019 8:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Acajack (Post 8746505)

This simply isn't the case any more because, unless i'm mistaken, nobody is surfing upwards through hundreds of channels. Usually people know where their favourite channels are (whether it's channel 24, 240, or 624, or whatever). Only people with the old ~50ish channel setup are manually surfing through channels, otherwise you can just use the built-in guide HUD that comes with your advanced cable setup to find what you're looking for, either manually or by searching for channel/program.

Acajack Nov 12, 2019 9:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JHikka (Post 8746527)
This simply isn't the case any more because, unless i'm mistaken, nobody is surfing upwards through hundreds of channels. Usually people know where their favourite channels are (whether it's channel 24, 240, or 624, or whatever). Only people with the old ~50ish channel setup are manually surfing through channels, otherwise you can just use the built-in guide HUD that comes with your advanced cable setup to find what you're looking for, either manually or by searching for channel/program.

I guess.

Maybe I am weird but to me the channel that is labelled "1" is still assume the one with the most high-profile marquee programming with cross-Canada appeal. (Or at least the programming they want us to latch on to the most for reasons X Y and Z.)

TimB09 Nov 12, 2019 9:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thurmas (Post 8746460)
I would like to see the CFL post their streaming numbers more often

Me too. That's how I watch the games now.

Djeffery Nov 12, 2019 10:06 PM

For years and years, TSN was channel 400 on almost any system I had (1400 in HD). 400 (1400) on Bell Fibe at least is TSN 4. They are in order, 4, 1, 2, 3, 5 on Fibe. I always consider 1400 the main TSN channel because that's where the Leafs and Raptors usually are, and TSN does stand for Toronto Sports Network, so I'm told.

kel Nov 12, 2019 10:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Djeffery (Post 8746589)
For years and years, TSN was channel 400 on almost any system I had (1400 in HD). 400 (1400) on Bell Fibe at least is TSN 4. They are in order, 4, 1, 2, 3, 5 on Fibe. I always consider 1400 the main TSN channel because that's where the Leafs and Raptors usually are, and TSN does stand for Toronto Sports Network, so I'm told.

Stands for The Sports Network

MacLac Nov 12, 2019 10:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kel (Post 8746607)
Stands for The Sports Network

Wouldn't appear that way to someone who has never heard of it...(T) is more like (T)oronto Sports Network. Someone from Mars watching would think that the Leafs are the only Team, of any sport on the planet. Today for example, the first five stories in the "NHL" link are Leafs, ie, Marner is hurt, Matthews is a P*ssy, Hutch got waived, Tavares is pouting....etc. etc.

EpicPonyTime Nov 12, 2019 11:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JHikka (Post 8746478)
MLS Cups 2016 and 2017 were both the first Saturday of December, whereas MLS Cup 2019 was the second Sunday of November. Change of schedule and a worse time slot definitely played a factor in general viewing figures, but it also comes down to TFC being less compelling this time around.

I was really surprised at how early the MLS Cup was on, and I imagine it played a major role in the lower ratings. I wonder why they put it on so early?

JHikka Nov 12, 2019 11:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EpicPonyTime (Post 8746678)
I was really surprised at how early the MLS Cup was on, and I imagine it played a major role in the lower ratings. I wonder why they put it on so early?

MLS changed up their playoff format because the two-legged draws were a bit lengthy and pointless. There were a lot of complaints over the length of playoffs and having it be split up by an international break, so they shortened the rounds which shortens the playoffs as a whole. I like the earlier finish IMO, season is much too long if it's running from March-December.

EpicPonyTime Nov 12, 2019 11:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JHikka (Post 8746683)
MLS changed up their playoff format because the two-legged draws were a bit lengthy and pointless. There were a lot of complaints over the length of playoffs and having it be split up by an international break, so they shortened the rounds which shortens the playoffs as a whole. I like the earlier finish IMO, season is much too long if it's running from March-December.

Sorry, I should have been more specific. I was referring to the fact the game was on at 3PM in Toronto. Despite being on a weekend, I don't believe that as many casual fans would be interested in spending a major chunk of their limited daytime inside watching sports.

I agree that shortening the playoffs/overall season is a good idea for MLS.

JHikka Nov 12, 2019 11:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EpicPonyTime (Post 8746692)
Sorry, I should have been more specific. I was referring to the fact the game was on at 3PM in Toronto. Despite being on a weekend, I don't believe that as many casual fans would be interested in spending a major chunk of their limited daytime inside watching sports.

Haven't read too much on it but i'm sure it has to do with TV and hosting in Seattle. TV and gameday turned out really, really good in Seattle so i'm guessing there was some thought into the start time.

EpicPonyTime Nov 13, 2019 1:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JHikka (Post 8746700)
Haven't read too much on it but i'm sure it has to do with TV and hosting in Seattle. TV and gameday turned out really, really good in Seattle so i'm guessing there was some thought into the start time.

It would have been a 12PM kickoff in Seattle which still seems really early. I assume that they did it that early because it avoided competition with the NFL. I imagine they did their research and were confident going early would lose less viewers than going up against football in the States.

Djeffery Nov 13, 2019 2:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EpicPonyTime (Post 8746791)
It would have been a 12PM kickoff in Seattle which still seems really early. I assume that they did it that early because it avoided competition with the NFL. I imagine they did their research and were confident going early would lose less viewers than going up against football in the States.

3PM eastern is right in the middle of the busiest time of day for football. There isn't really a worse time to do it if avoiding competition with NFL is the idea.

Acajack Nov 13, 2019 4:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hackslack (Post 8745990)
Is Cherry’s segment on HNIC between periods actually live, or is it taped before? If taped before, everyone at Sportsnet who saw the tape beforehand should be fired.

The discussion on other boards is actually saying that the segment is live on the main game's broadcast, taped and then rebroadcast during intermissions of other games in the similar time slot but that obviously don't all arrive at the intermission simultaneously.

So I guess the answer is that people at Sportsnet did watch it and decided to air the recorded version of it during several other broadcasts that evening.

elly63 Nov 14, 2019 12:14 AM

Interesting to see the Quebec breakdown with and without the Als, IMO both are very good numbers

https://i.imgur.com/3wwdmzp.png

LakeLocker Nov 14, 2019 1:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jonny24 (Post 8742338)
I think that its more likely that we would see some signifigant changes to how the game is played rather than anything dying off. That's exactly what drove a lot of the changes to football over 100 years ago. Too many people were getting hurt or dying so they changed rules, added pads, etc. Ironically it may be back towards a rugby style of play. Not that it doesn't have it's own concussion problems but it seems to be a a level less than that of football.

This needs to happen sooner than latter. The CFL is flat out crazy for delaying the inevitable. They don't have the money that the NFL has. It is gonna destroy the brand if they are seen as simply playing follow the leader. And it'd be a great way for the league to out perform the NFL. The XFL is launching on the premise on creating faster paced more athletic gaming. The CFL should be known as an inovator it'd help sell the game to the young globalist types living in the east.