SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   City Compilations (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=87)
-   -   SAN DIEGO | Boom Rundown, Vol. 2 (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=126473)

mwm991 Dec 23, 2016 11:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spoonman (Post 7660252)
There was a story the other day about AEG looking at the downtown site next to Petco for a new arena. The story suggested that AEG would bring the Anaheim Ducks to play in SD.

Which makes the most sense.

Albeit in some ways, people look at the Ducks and the Angels as being in a separate OC market.

In any event, SD has a big fight on its hands to fill the void the Chargers are almost certainly going to leave. Could take years and a lot of watching to see who becomes unstable in their own market before anyone else arrives.

mello Dec 24, 2016 12:27 AM

You bring up KC and Louisville as cities who already have downtown arenas that is great. First off Louisville is a tiny metro area compared to SD and like I said KC already has NFL and MLB that is why the NBA isn't interested in them.

Now the big difference is sex appeal. KC and Louisville yawn.... San Diego has way more sizzle than those places and is on its way to having one of the best downtowns in the country. Look at the huge Manchesterpacificgateway.com development about to break ground and the Seaport Village redevelopment. Do KC and Louisville have a water front? No. Do they have amazing downtowns with mega projects taking place? No.

San Diego is a major tourist destination with 5000 new hotel rooms in the pipeline in and around downtown. These are the reasons the NBA would look at it before adding a 3rd major pro sports team in KC or putting one in tiny Louisville.

mwm991 Dec 24, 2016 2:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mello (Post 7660297)
You bring up KC and Louisville as cities who already have downtown arenas that is great. First off Louisville is a tiny metro area compared to SD and like I said KC already has NFL and MLB that is why the NBA isn't interested in them.

Now the big difference is sex appeal. KC and Louisville yawn.... San Diego has way more sizzle than those places and is on its way to having one of the best downtowns in the country. Look at the huge Manchesterpacificgateway.com development about to break ground and the Seaport Village redevelopment. Do KC and Louisville have a water front? No. Do they have amazing downtowns with mega projects taking place? No.

San Diego is a major tourist destination with 5000 new hotel rooms in the pipeline in and around downtown. These are the reasons the NBA would look at it before adding a 3rd major pro sports team in KC or putting one in tiny Louisville.

Well, NBA is attracted to cities like Louisville with no other top tier pro sports competition where they can control the corporate support. Like Sacramento, Memphis, Portland, OKC, Salt Lake, San Antonio, Orlando.

The reason there isn't interest is because there isn't any overwhelmingly struggling franchises in the NBA at this time, but they have the arena built and ready to go, should someone slip up, or expansion come onto the agenda, San Diego does not at this moment in time.

SDCAL Jan 3, 2017 7:50 AM

I'm not sure how reliable this site is, it looks like some real estate site, but it's the most current thing I can find about the timeline of the Ritz project. It says:

There are a few more hurdles for the developer and the city but the projection for the finalization of the sale of the land by the city is scheduled for April 2018. Construction would then be completed by October 2021

http://www.buysellrentsandiego.com/r...ton-san-diego/

So over a year just for the city to sell the land? Why am I getting a feeling this project is going to be one of those that dangles out there forever but never materializes? Very depressing. Meanwhile, the hotel in the block right next to this that was supposed to start after the Ritz project is already fencing off the site. :(

Streamliner Jan 3, 2017 4:40 PM

SeaWorld announces new eel coaster for 2018
Lori Weisberg
January 3, 2017
http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/...103-story.html

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C1P-CTFW8AAXYru.jpg

Quote:

The Electric Eel, which would make its debut in early summer of 2018, proposes a combination of loops, twists and a nearly 150-foot high ascent followed by an inverted roll that will offer riders an upside-down view of Mission Bay.
At 150 feet this will be the park's tallest coaster. Local residents had already been receiving notices of application for the new ride. I'm curious to see what kind of pushback there will be from nearby residents/Donna Frye considering the problems their Atlantis ride had back in the early 2000s.

More info from a letter from the City here (Source: Reddit)

Lipani Jan 3, 2017 7:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SDCAL (Post 7666040)
I'm not sure how reliable this site is, it looks like some real estate site, but it's the most current thing I can find about the timeline of the Ritz project. It says:

There are a few more hurdles for the developer and the city but the projection for the finalization of the sale of the land by the city is scheduled for April 2018. Construction would then be completed by October 2021

http://www.buysellrentsandiego.com/r...ton-san-diego/

So over a year just for the city to sell the land? Why am I getting a feeling this project is going to be one of those that dangles out there forever but never materializes? Very depressing. Meanwhile, the hotel in the block right next to this that was supposed to start after the Ritz project is already fencing off the site. :(

Perhaps the city wants to make sure that any lawsuits against the project are dismissed or settled before the land gets sold. This is arguably downtown's biggest project since Petco Park and faces more hurdles than anything else under development right now (particularly from NIMBY's).

mello Jan 3, 2017 11:40 PM

"Residents near Seaword"? No one resides within what 3/4 of a mile of Seaworld so screw them. So hilarious how Toronto and even Houston has 400 foot residential towers right behind single family neighborhoods. Or what about in Wilshire Corridor in LA where you have "Condo Canyon" right in the backyard of rich people's homes, yet in San Diego people who live miles away from an amusement park fret over a damn 150 ft. tall structure. God this town is so backwards.

Northparkwizard Jan 4, 2017 5:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mello (Post 7666659)
"Residents near Seaword"? No one resides within what 3/4 of a mile of Seaworld so screw them. So hilarious how Toronto and even Houston has 400 foot residential towers right behind single family neighborhoods. Or what about in Wilshire Corridor in LA where you have "Condo Canyon" right in the backyard of rich people's homes, yet in San Diego people who live miles away from an amusement park fret over a damn 150 ft. tall structure. God this town is so backwards.

Yep, Bay Park NIMBYs are gonna shart their collective pantaloons when they see this.

Boatguy619 Jan 5, 2017 5:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mello (Post 7666659)

If the structure was pleasing on the eye then I don't think people would have a problem. But a rusted out journey to Atlantis ride or purple roller coaster is pretty unpleasing along our coast. I hope this fails, would rather see sea world as an aquarium park then a want to be knotts berry farm.

Derek Jan 5, 2017 6:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boatguy619 (Post 7668433)
If the structure was pleasing on the eye then I don't think people would have a problem. But a rusted out journey to Atlantis ride or purple roller coaster is pretty unpleasing along our coast. I hope this fails, would rather see sea world as an aquarium park then a want to be knotts berry farm.

Who cares? It literally does not affect your life in any way.

Boatguy619 Jan 5, 2017 8:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Derek (Post 7668531)
Who cares? It literally does not affect your life in any way.

I just think it looks ugly and so do most people evidently. I guess I can't have an opinion here unless it pro "build it all" Don't get me wrong, I'm for growth and lower housing prices along our coast but what good does a roller coaster do for sea world? I don't think it will re-brand them. Just make it seem like a commercialized aquarium.

Derek Jan 5, 2017 8:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boatguy619 (Post 7668668)
I just think it looks ugly and so do most people evidently. I guess I can't have an opinion here unless it pro "build it all" Don't get me wrong, I'm for growth and lower housing prices along our coast but what good does a roller coaster do for sea world? I don't think it will re-brand them. Just make it seem like a commercialized aquarium.

That's exactly what they are, a commercialized aquarium. I appreciate their work that they do with wildlife, but they definitely need to find new ways to attract more visitors to their park. I don't think a roller coaster a mile from the coast is going to have any negative impact on the coastline.

Boatguy619 Jan 5, 2017 8:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Derek (Post 7668697)
That's exactly what they are, a commercialized aquarium. I appreciate their work that they do with wildlife, but they definitely need to find new ways to attract more visitors to their park. I don't think a roller coaster a mile from the coast is going to have any negative impact on the coastline.

No but it is the entrance to the cities beaches. When ever I'm driving out of town friends to the beach they always ask "what is that hideous building" speaking of journey to Atlantis. I won't cry or even fight a new roller coaster, just stating my opinion that the SD river bike path, mission bay park, dana landing, ect are some of the most beautiful places in so cal and a roller coaster kinda takes away from that.

Boatguy619 Jan 5, 2017 8:58 PM

I guess I just would rather see Sea World as I did before Bud Light bought them

Derek Jan 5, 2017 9:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boatguy619 (Post 7668730)
No but it is the entrance to the cities beaches. When ever I'm driving out of town friends to the beach they always ask "what is that hideous building" speaking of journey to Atlantis. I won't cry or even fight a new roller coaster, just stating my opinion that the SD river bike path, mission bay park, dana landing, ect are some of the most beautiful places in so cal and a roller coaster kinda takes away from that.

Fair enough! :cheers:

JerellO Jan 6, 2017 9:17 AM

There's a roller coaster at Belmont park, a roller coaster on the Santa Monica pier and now this which isn't even that close to the beach... I think it'll be fine.

Lipani Jan 6, 2017 9:11 PM

Quote:

Riverwalk redevelopment back on track
By Roger Showley

The 200-acre Riverwalk Golf Club, a prime piece of Mission Valley awaiting redevelopment for 30 years, may finally have a viable suitor.

The Levi-Cushman family is in final talks for a joint-venture, mixed-use development with Hines, the Houston-based real estate company active in 192 cities in 20 countries with $93.2 billion in assets under management.

“We’re very excited to be working with the Hines organization and we are hopeful of making a lot of progress in 2017,” said Steve Cushman, a spokesman for the family that has owned the property for more than 100 years.

Hines’ development director for San Diego, Bhavesh Parikh, declined to discuss plans for the property since they are in early stages of preparation.
But he had his first meeting with a Mission Valley Planning Group ad hoc committee last month and a community-wide meeting is planned by April to share preliminary proposals.

Dottie Surdi, planning group chairwoman, said a special subcommittee has been formed to work closely with Hines.

“They’re being very open to encourage ideas,” said Dottie Surdi, who chairs the planning group.

Ideas being considered include around 4,000 housing units and some nonresidential elements, such as one or more office buildings and retail space. The fate of the golf course, in operation since the 1940s with three-nine-hold courses, is not yet known.
http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/...103-story.html

SDCAL Jan 7, 2017 9:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boatguy619 (Post 7668668)

It is ugly. We are all entitled to our opinions on the aesthetics of proposed developments, and I think this one looks like garbage. I'm not really confident in the future of SeaWorld in general. They are phasing out the orca shows and don't really seem to have a cohesive vision of what they will be in the future. Do they want to be a center of education and science or an amusement park? They seem to be going with straddling between the two which I'm not sure will be ultimately successful but I guess time will tell. I just don't see this mediocre carnival ride being enough to save them.

bobbyv Jan 7, 2017 7:07 PM

https://youtu.be/Dv1cn5cjtng

chris08876 Jan 8, 2017 1:48 AM

Some construction activity on the right.

https://c4.staticflickr.com/1/504/32...d57a50d1_h.jpg
Pink and Blue by Larisa Voronina, on Flickr

That's the gateway project right? I might be confusing myself. Or is it on the other side of downtown and not by the stadium?