SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Canada (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Canadian Airport Thread (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=153826)

theman23 Jan 5, 2021 7:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hollywoodcory (Post 9148568)

I don't deny this. They have a leader who cares more about his lost re-election than actually doing something about the pandemic itself.

All I'm saying is the virus is already here. Closing the border isn't going to change that and only a small percentage is actually linked to international travel.

Yup. People grossly overestimate the impact of travel on case counts when the virus becomes endemic. The travel restrictions are mostly political theater at this point.

Pegasus Jan 5, 2021 8:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zahav (Post 9142545)
I hate to say this, but my cousin broke quarantine when he came here from San Francisco because my uncle was in the hospital and it was critical. He properly quarantined for 5 days I think, and then got the call that my uncle was deteriorating fast, so he went to the hospital to see him, and he died the next day. It was an awful situation and he didn't break quarantine just for fun or to go have drinks, it was the last time he'd see my uncle. And to a hospital enviuronment that is supposed to be sterile, and he was here from a high-case area and hadn't quarantined, and spent a full day in the hospital, so scary he could have brought COVID into there, which would've been devastating. But I would've done the same if it was one of my parents dying, sorry not sorry

But ya, back to the topic. He said there was no enforcement, no calls, the airport barely talked about it when he came thru customs. So he could break quarantine easily, there was no foillow-up. Australia and Taiwan had the right idea. I don't see why that couldn't be done here, aren't the land borders closed anyways, so it's not affecting the #s?

Would I be naive to assume he was transparent with the hospital and advised them of his recent travels so that all necessary and appropriate precautions could be taken? I am sure the hospital would have been accommodating in an end of life situation. Not to inform them would be immoral, reckless and in breach of health regulations.

theman23 Jan 5, 2021 10:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pegasus (Post 9150125)
Would I be naive to assume he was transparent with the hospital and advised them of his recent travels so that all necessary and appropriate precautions could be taken? I am sure the hospital would have been accommodating in an end of life situation. Not to inform them would be immoral, reckless and in breach of health regulations.

Doubt they would have been accommodating had they known. End of live visits are allowed, but not if in violation of federal quarantine laws.

Djeffery Jan 5, 2021 11:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YYCguys (Post 9150053)
Didn’t this already happen earlier this year? The aircraft aren’t even in Westjet’s possession anymore, as far as I know.

Yes, the story I saw on Global showed a picture of a former WS 767 with the name painted over, and captioned that it was shown departing Calgary Sept 8 after being purchased by Amazon.

thenoflyzone Jan 6, 2021 12:52 AM

This is why AC will never be able to fly YUL-BEY.

https://www.the961.com/mea-new-plane...stray-bullets/

Truenorth00 Jan 6, 2021 1:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thenoflyzone (Post 9150383)
This is why AC will never be able to fly YUL-BEY.

https://www.the961.com/mea-new-plane...stray-bullets/

Just don't fly in or RON around holidays?

Also, if this is a known thing, time for BEY to build more hangars.

Truenorth00 Jan 6, 2021 1:56 AM

Any thoughts on how Covid will impact airport development? I'm thinking of the ambitious plans that YUL had or Pearson's plan for a large rail hub.

casper Jan 6, 2021 4:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Truenorth00 (Post 9150442)
Any thoughts on how Covid will impact airport development? I'm thinking of the ambitious plans that YUL had or Pearson's plan for a large rail hub.

Same goes for Vancouver. At the start of the pandemic the stopped all construction. A few months later they restarted the international terminal expansion that was almost complete. The massive parking garage, and this massive green geo-thermal energy center are half complete and on long term hold.

Not certain where the oil pipeline is for jet fuel. There was also plans for a new air cargo terminal area that may still be going ahead, not certain.

zahav Jan 6, 2021 6:52 AM

From my understanding, the fuel pipeline is already built. They were constructed it all last year thru Richmond. The fuel terminal on the Fraser is under active construction still, so that is moving ahead. The international terminal is all done now, construction wrapped up. It will be a while until the gates are used, but it's there when ready.

Pegasus Jan 6, 2021 7:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theman23 (Post 9150261)
Doubt they would have been accommodating had they known. End of live visits are allowed, but not if in violation of federal quarantine laws.

From the Canadian Government website Mandatory isolation or quarantine https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/tr...ions/isolation

"Limited (temporary) release from quarantine for compassionate reasons (for funerals, to care for someone, or for an end of life visitation)" Based on your reason for travel, you may apply for a limited release from quarantine for compassionate reasons.

"Failure to comply with this order is an offence under the Quarantine Act and could lead to imprisonment and/or fines" (6 months in prison and/or $750,000 in fines).

wave46 Jan 6, 2021 1:23 PM

Quote:

Airport authorities are going to be in a rough financial position for a few years afterwards, so I don't think expansion will be in the cards.

Unless air travel roars back, I can't really see big capital spending.

Truenorth00 Jan 6, 2021 1:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by casper (Post 9150594)
Same goes for Vancouver.

Knew I forgot somebody!

Quote:

Originally Posted by wave46 (Post 9150774)
Airport authorities are going to be in a rough financial position for a few years afterwards, so I don't think expansion will be in the cards.

Unless air travel roars back, I can't really see big capital spending.

I'm just wondering what will happen to so much of the expansion works that are underway.

Franco401 Jan 6, 2021 1:56 PM

Quote:

A couple months back the pandemic had people on the Atlantic forum bringing up that deadest of horses: a central, single airport for New Brunswick. YQM has exploded the past few years, YSJ will pick back up quicker than others because of steady corporate traffic and YFC is putting the finishing touches on a terminal renovation.

https://expansion.yfcfredericton.ca/...-768x512-2.jpg

https://expansion.yfcfredericton.ca/...-768x512-2.jpg

Does this look like a soon-to-be-closed airport?

The time for that project was before YQM built a whole new terminal on the other side of the airport.

casper Jan 6, 2021 1:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Truenorth00 (Post 9150796)
Knew I forgot somebody!

I'm just wondering what will happen to so much of the expansion works that are underway.

When the pandemic comes to a close we will likely see the federal government wanting to stimulate the economy. New concrete infrastructure is always a favorite way of doing that.

I would not be surprised if some of that does not end up on airport property. Perhaps subway/railways or infrastructure needed to improve cargo infrastructure. There is a big push by the Liberals to de-carbon the economy.

Montreal needs a rail connection. The proposed Calgary-Banff rail connection is expected to continue to YYC. The green geo-thermal plant in YVR.

Truenorth00 Jan 6, 2021 2:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by casper (Post 9150805)
Montreal needs a rail connection.

They are getting that with REM.

The only thing they need is a one-stop REM extension to Dorval VIA/Exo station.

thenoflyzone Jan 6, 2021 2:46 PM

Quote:

Don't know about Pearson, but here at YUL, all projects are on hold, except for the REM, which is going ahead as planned.

ADM secured government funding for it last month. That wasn't the initial plan, of course. They were supposed to fund the whole thing themselves, but COVID changed those plans. Glad the government stepped in to help. Rail connection to the airport is/should be a priority for Montreal.

https://globalnews.ca/news/7493415/c...nment-funding/

hollywoodcory Jan 6, 2021 3:10 PM

As of next week, Air Canada appears like it will only serve PHX from YYC. Not sure I can remember even in pre-COVID times a destination outside of Canada that AC only served from YYC.

Additionally, American resumed service to YVR yesterday from both DFW / PHX well upguaging YYC-DFW/PHX to mainline 319s.

casper Jan 6, 2021 3:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Truenorth00 (Post 9150808)
They are getting that with REM.

The only thing they need is a one-stop REM extension to Dorval VIA/Exo station.

They do need it.

I love Montreal but there ground transportation people at the airport are simply evil. A few years ago I arrived and they still had this silly thing were uber was not allowed to pickup at the airport. The taxi drives were staging some type of uber strike. In the one-two hour line up for taxis I asked one of the airport people doing crowd control if there was some where else I could walk to to get an uber because this lineup was was obscene. He started to yell at me for even suggesting something like that. Then the people in front and behind started yelling back. (I almost created a revolt in the airport lines). The taxi industry in that city lost my business for good with that little strike stunt.

That was the very last taxi ride in Montreal I have ever taken. Since then I avoid taxi like the plague in Montreal. Rental car, uber or public transit. A train into the city would be fantastic.

hollywoodcory Jan 6, 2021 3:56 PM

Pending TC approval, WS plans to return the MAX to service as soon as January 21 on three weekly YYC-YYZ.

https://www.westjet.com/en-ca/about-us/maxinfo

Full press release: http://westjet.mediaroom.com/2021-01...o-service-plan

Airboy Jan 6, 2021 4:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by casper (Post 9150594)
Same goes for Vancouver. At the start of the pandemic the stopped all construction. A few months later they restarted the international terminal expansion that was almost complete. The massive parking garage, and this massive green geo-thermal energy center are half complete and on long term hold.

Not certain where the oil pipeline is for jet fuel. There was also plans for a new air cargo terminal area that may still be going ahead, not certain.

Renos to some of the interior retail and food locations have been stalled as well. Have walked by the same hording since last spring.