SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Canada (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Canadian Airport Thread (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=153826)

Johnny Aussie Jan 28, 2017 10:32 PM

Regarding Westjet's YVR domestic network.

As of now both YVR-YXU and YVR-YHZ are not in the schedules.

Last year these routes were announced in late Feb early March.

As it stands now YVR-YHM is daily as mentioned.

I think last year due to the weakening AB, Westjet's route planners probably didn't have much lead time to figure out where to shift capacity to try and get the best return possible... there really weren't many options so YVR-YHZ/YHM/YXU were attempted and probably only YHM saw any positive returns.

I don't believe their summer 2017 timetable is finalised yet though.

nname Jan 29, 2017 6:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johnny Aussie (Post 7693267)
I think last year due to the weakening AB, Westjet's route planners probably didn't have much lead time to figure out where to shift capacity to try and get the best return possible... there really weren't many options so YVR-YHZ/YHM/YXU were attempted and probably only YHM saw any positive returns.

Plus this year, they probably used some of these capacity to try to squeeze New Leaf out of the market already... :cool:

zahav Jan 30, 2017 12:12 AM

Air Canada is converting Mexico City to all Rouge flights from YYZ, YUL, and YVR. YVR and YYZ used to be mainline. I think YUL was always going to be Rouge when it started for the summer season, but now YYZ and YVR are too.

SignalHillHiker Jan 30, 2017 12:18 AM

Has anyone heard if there are any U.S.-bound people now stranded at Canadian airports because they've been denied entry? It'd be nice to get together some people in our cities to try to help them out somehow if so.

Zmonkey Jan 30, 2017 3:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker (Post 7693993)
Has anyone heard if there are any U.S.-bound people now stranded at Canadian airports because they've been denied entry? It'd be nice to get together some people in our cities to try to help them out somehow if so.

Air canada was putting these people in hotels around Pearson until they could figure out of they could continue on/go back.

I work in the aviation world, but for an airline.

Bigtime Jan 30, 2017 5:06 PM

WestJet starting Calgary-Nashville on May 4, flights operate twice a week.

http://wkrn.com/2017/01/30/nashville...ts-to-calgary/

The Fisher Account Jan 30, 2017 6:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bigtime (Post 7694683)
WestJet starting Calgary-Nashville on May 4, flights operate twice a week.

http://wkrn.com/2017/01/30/nashville...ts-to-calgary/

Awesome news! Hopefully this continues. Would love to go see the Texans play in Nashville next season, but last time I tried it was like a 15 hour flight to get to Nashville via a bunch of connections

thenoflyzone Jan 30, 2017 10:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bigtime (Post 7694683)
WestJet starting Calgary-Nashville on May 4, flights operate twice a week.

http://wkrn.com/2017/01/30/nashville...ts-to-calgary/

Seems like an odd route. What's the market like between the two?

p_xavier Jan 30, 2017 10:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thenoflyzone (Post 7695099)
Seems like an odd route. What's the market like between the two?

Many cowboy hats lovers it seems.

zahav Jan 31, 2017 12:32 AM

Speak of the devil, Westjet has once again loaded YVR-YHZ and YVR-YXU into the schedules. Both operating 4x weekly.

Pinus Jan 31, 2017 12:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zahav (Post 7695257)
Speak of the devil, Westjet has once again loaded YVR-YHZ and YVR-YXU into the schedules. Both operating 4x weekly.

They have also uploaded the YWG-YHZ seasonal routes as well.

excel Jan 31, 2017 1:52 AM

YVR numbers:

December 2016:

Domestic: up 7.6%
Transborder: up 14.3%
Asia: up 16.5%
Europe: down 6.0%
Misc: up 21.7%
Total International: Up 13.6%
Grand total: up 10.5%
Cargo: up 5.5%


Year 2016:

Domestic: up 7.6%
Transborder: up 7.4%
Asia: up 15.7%
Europe: up 14.9%
Misc: up 27.0%
Total International: Up 11.9%
Grand total: up 9.7%
Cargo: up 3.2%

Total passengers: approx 22.3mil

yyzer Jan 31, 2017 2:04 AM

Fantastic growth at YVR! :cheers:

LeftCoaster Jan 31, 2017 3:14 AM

Wow, just short of 2 million in growth. Very impressive year.

Interesting new route for YYC, -3.4% transborder growth for the year and launching a new route to a small market, on a 737-800 to boot. Westjet's sure got some cahones!

Pinus Jan 31, 2017 4:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LeftCoaster (Post 7695452)
Wow, just short of 2 million in growth. Very impressive year.

Interesting new route for YYC, -3.4% transborder growth for the year and launching a new route to a small market, on a 737-800 to boot. Westjet's sure got some cahones!

Is it really that surprising? Calgary is their beloved headquarters city. They will do anything to appease the masses there, including taking flights away (or at least reducing frequencies of flights) from cities like Edmonton, Winnipeg and Halifax and giving yet more options for Calgary, regardless of their yearly passenger performance in certain demographics.

No bias there. None at all.

jmt18325 Jan 31, 2017 5:00 AM

Calgary is their main hub. Always has been, and probably always will be.

Pinus Jan 31, 2017 5:38 AM

I know and that is fair enough. But it doesn't mean I have to agree with or respect how they treat other cities.

Johnny Aussie Jan 31, 2017 6:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pinus (Post 7695644)
I know and that is fair enough. But it doesn't mean I have to agree with or respect how they treat other cities.

How they "treat" other cities? Really? So they should just fly all these unviable routes just to please the residents of certain cities?

Like it or not Westjet's main operations are at YYC and YYZ and their business plan will be based on that model. The perception of how they treat other cities sounds like they just do it as if they are bullies. I don't think so.

rotten42 Jan 31, 2017 2:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pinus (Post 7695644)
I know and that is fair enough. But it doesn't mean I have to agree with or respect how they treat other cities.


You mean like pretty much every other major airline does with their hub.

G.S MTL Jan 31, 2017 3:15 PM

Air China has delayed the 789 PEK-YUL... beginning now in September. Also, frequency now 5 weekly instead of 6...beginning in October.


All times are GMT. The time now is 5:22 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.