SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Mountain West (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=40)
-   -   DENVER | Transportation Thread (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=150276)

Strange Meat Mar 1, 2010 5:55 AM

So, I see the bridge they're building near the 6 and, I think, Red Rocks CC for the light rail line out there... I'm assuming that after it's construction it'll be slid out over the freeway? Looks like it could look pretty cool. (Think the Speer bridge)

Pizzuti Mar 1, 2010 10:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SnyderBock (Post 4723661)
Also, it's worth noting that now even in worst case scenario, the NW metro area already has the US-36 BRT Phase 1 nearly complete (which will cut ~15 minutes off Boulder to Union Station bus trip)

Curious: what could they shave off of this trip in addition to what they already have? I think it's currently like 25-30 mins from Table Mesa in Boulder to Union Station when you take the BX (direct), and about 40-45 mins when you take the B which stops at Flatirons, Hwy285, Westminster Promenade, Westminster Mall.

The reall variability is the fact that it takes 25 minutes just to weave through all the stops the route takes from within Boulder.

SnyderBock Mar 1, 2010 11:46 PM

idk, it just says US-36 BRT Phase 1 will shave 15 minutes off the trip.

taylor23 Mar 2, 2010 7:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SnyderBock (Post 4725148)
idk, it just says US-36 BRT Phase 1 will shave 15 minutes off the trip.

The new Broomfield PnR and slip ramps off 36 will be a huge time saver. All the left-hand turns and lights the buses have to go through now around the Wadsworth/120th/128th mess eats up a lot of time. I can see how that alone could save 15 minutes during rush hour. I don’t think the BX stops there so I’m not sure where that route would make up time.

Mulligan Mar 3, 2010 3:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by taylor23 (Post 4726465)
The new Broomfield PnR and slip ramps off 36 will be a huge time saver. All the left-hand turns and lights the buses have to go through now around the Wadsworth/120th/128th mess eats up a lot of time. I can see how that alone could save 15 minutes during rush hour. I don’t think the BX stops there so I’m not sure where that route would make up time.

You're right - The BX doesn't stop there, but moving the p-n-R and installing the new slip amps near the FirstBank center (formerly the Odeum and Broomfield Events Center) will shave upwards of 8-10 minutes in rush hour - I think 15 may be a little much unless we're talking snowstorm rush hours.

sashyenka Mar 4, 2010 1:40 AM

I could see it saving up to 15 minutes in non-rush hour traffic though. As a user of the B at Broomfield PnR and Flatiron Crossing PnR between both Denver and Boulder, the efficiency on that route is definitely worst at Broomfield PnR. Where the bus just zips right through every other PnR with a slip ramp, it spends the same 10 or so minutes going through all of the motions to get to and from that PnR...the buses are almost never on time there.

Mulligan Mar 4, 2010 4:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sashyenka (Post 4729015)
I could see it saving up to 15 minutes in non-rush hour traffic though. As a user of the B at Broomfield PnR and Flatiron Crossing PnR between both Denver and Boulder, the efficiency on that route is definitely worst at Broomfield PnR. Where the bus just zips right through every other PnR with a slip ramp, it spends the same 10 or so minutes going through all of the motions to get to and from that PnR...the buses are almost never on time there.

You'd know better than I would - I haven't been on the B in a few years - it very well may shave 15 minutes off. Regardless, its definitely a crappy set up the way it is now. Once that new slip ramp is up and running, it'll be a huge improvement! No question.

Pizzuti Mar 4, 2010 7:39 PM

OK, I can see how a designated onramp/offramp lanes for busses at complicated interchanges would save a lot of time. Having to stop at stoplights at places like the 36-287 interchange is OBNOXIOUS because it feels like you aren't moving at all for 7 minutes, just to do it all again at McCaslin.

It would not really impact the BX, which skips most of those stops, but the B would be a bit closer to the BX in travel times, which will be very convenient when the BX isn't running.

Mulligan Mar 4, 2010 8:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Strange Meat (Post 4723909)
So, I see the bridge they're building near the 6 and, I think, Red Rocks CC for the light rail line out there... I'm assuming that after it's construction it'll be slid out over the freeway? Looks like it could look pretty cool. (Think the Speer bridge)

They are building it right there east of Simms/Union. The bridge will be a big arch similar to the Speer bridge over I-25. Last I had heard it'll be rolled out across 6th in mid-April sometime. I'll keep you guys posted.

giebelh1 Mar 12, 2010 3:05 AM

Kevin Flynn provided some more info. on his website regarding the NW rail line being electified which would also possibly allow an early opening for a portion of this corridor. I'm curious to know some more on possible operations though once the line is built all the way to Boulder and beyond. Would the short electrified section be operated as DMU only then? Could there be duel operation done with both DMU and EMU allowing more frequent service to Westminster? Regardless, kinda cool to get more info. coming out about this line.

http://www.inside-lane.com/2010/03/1...o-westminster/

Strange Meat Mar 12, 2010 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mulligan (Post 4730230)
They are building it right there east of Simms/Union. The bridge will be a big arch similar to the Speer bridge over I-25. Last I had heard it'll be rolled out across 6th in mid-April sometime. I'll keep you guys posted.

Thanks for the info!!

Mulligan Mar 18, 2010 3:48 PM

FYI - the bridge over 6th Avenue near Simms/Union (the big arched bridge) will be rolled out the weekend of April 23-26. (6th Ave. closure from late Friday night to early Monday morning)

CastleScott Mar 22, 2010 4:50 PM

RTD pays BNSF for corridor ROW

Home » Featured
RTD’s $143.8-million deal with BNSF Railway locks down FasTracks property
Mar. 22, 2010 | 4:00 am No commentsShareThis

Simulation shows a Gold Line heavy-rail electrified commuter train passing over 38th Avenue in Denver. Courtesy RTD.
By Kevin Flynn
Inside-Lane.com

RTD has reached a total $143.8 million agreement with the Burlington Northern Santa Fe Railway that will move progress forward on two FasTracks corridors to Arvada/Wheat Ridge and Westminster.

The comprehensive agreement includes $102.7 million for the outright purchase of railroad right-of-way for the Gold Line and several miles of the Northwest Rail FasTracks corridors; a lump sum of $36.9 million in relocation funding for BNSF to move and replace its facilities that are in the way of RTD’s projects; up to $4 million in direct reimbursements of BNSF’s other costs for additional construction or relocation that may occur incidental to the projects, and $200,000 for title insurance, closing costs and escrow fees.

Just as importantly, the negotiations included a Joint Corridor Use Agreement that will govern how RTD and BNSF will conduct their respective activities along the shared corridors, where BNSF will continue to serve its freight customers.

The purchase and agreement will come to the elected RTD board on Tuesday for its review and a vote. RTD has been negotiating these issues with BNSF for several years.

RTD simulation shows the Gold Line heavy-rail commuter train stopped at the Olde Town Arvada Station. Courtesy RTD.
The property to be acquired by RTD includes BNSF-owned right-of-way out of Denver Union Station and up through Utah Junction east of Pecos Street around 56th Avenue, where various BNSF and Union Pacific railroad branches diverge; the BNSF Golden Subdivision, which leaves Utah Junction to the west – sometimes called “The Beer Line” because of the freight service in and out of the Coors Brewery; and land along the BNSF Boulder Subdivision from Utah Junction to around 72nd Avenue and Lowell Boulevard in Westminster.

RTD would also purchase BNSF property beyond the currently planned end-of-line station at Ward Road in Wheat Ridge that would allow RTD to extend the commuter line into Golden in the future.

That last segment to Westminster is property on which RTD plans to get a starter segment of the Northwest Rail Corridor built under a larger privatization plan, called Eagle P3, for the Gold Line and the East Corridor commuter rail to Denver International Airport.

The name Eagle P3 is derived from its elements – East Corridor Gold Line Public Private Partnership. It is a key project delivery mechanism through which RTD plans to lower its upfront need for construction capital. The private sector partner brings its own equity to the table and the transit agency spreads out its own costs over a 40-year opearting contract for payments to the concessionaire. RTD would maintain control over all aspects affecting the public including fares, schedule, maintenance and the like – similar to how it controls those aspects of bus service currently provided by private companies

RTD will soon receive proposals from two private consortiums competing for an agreement of 40 years to privately finance, design, build, operate and maintain the Arvada/Wheat Ridge and DIA lines. The package would include construction and operation of a commuter rail maintenance facility on Fox Street north of 48th Avenue and the south Westminster segment of Northwest Rail.

The short segment of Northwest Rail would be electrified, like the Gold Line and East Corridor, although the eventual length of Northwest Rail – FasTracks’ longest at 41 miles to Broomfield, Louisville, Boulder and Longmont – would be served by self-propelled diesel-powered passenger cars.

A Gold Line commuter train heads west along Ridge Road toward Ward Road in Wheat Ridge in this simulation. Courtesy RTD.

SnyderBock Mar 22, 2010 5:43 PM

So what do you think of this, CastleScott?

CastleScott Mar 23, 2010 4:18 PM

^ This is the main push of the commuter rail portion of FasTracks (with the North Corridor and rest of NW coming later)..

EngiNerd Apr 14, 2010 2:41 PM

Quote:

RTD puts off tax vote on FasTracks rail project
Denver Business Journal - by Mark Harden and Cathy Proctor

The board of Denver's Regional Transportation District decided late Tuesday not to seek a public vote this year on a proposed sales tax increase to make up an expected $2.4 billion budget gap for the sprawling FasTracks rail-transit project.

By a unanimous decision, the board concluded the economy still is too wobbly for RTD to ask voters for a tax hike, even though putting off the vote could delay completion of FasTracks and ultimately make it more costly.

"What it really comes down to is the state of the economy," Lee Kemp of Broomfield, the RTD board chairman, said in a written statement. "While we're seeing some recovery, this is still a tough time for a lot of folks, and we just don't feel it's prudent to go to the ballot while so many people are still facing personal challenges."

http://denver.bizjournals.com/denver...2/daily29.html

cadetwhite Apr 14, 2010 3:30 PM

^ I Think delaying the vote was definitely the right decision. I think people are willing to pay a little more, but you just have to give them more time and let the economy heal a little.

SnyderBock Apr 14, 2010 3:35 PM

If it were to be voted down, is there any reason RTD couldn't keep taking it before voters every two years, until it passes? Say they did do 2010 and it gets voted down. Couldn't they try again in 2012, maybe tweaking it a little to make it more appealing to voters? And if that also fails, couldn't they try yet again in 2014? and so on, until is passes?

Giovoni Apr 14, 2010 3:39 PM

^ I'm sure they could but I think after one of two times of asking you'd be less likely to convince people to change their mind from no and more likely to change people's mind from yes. The no votes would continue voting no reflexively and the yes votes might start getting annoyed with the ballot issue being on there over and over and start changing to no.

Mulligan Apr 14, 2010 4:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SnyderBock (Post 4794463)
If it were to be voted down, is there any reason RTD couldn't keep taking it before voters every two years, until it passes? Say they did do 2010 and it gets voted down. Couldn't they try again in 2012, maybe tweaking it a little to make it more appealing to voters? And if that also fails, couldn't they try yet again in 2014? and so on, until is passes?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Giovoni (Post 4794467)
^ I'm sure they could but I think after one of two times of asking you'd be less likely to convince people to change their mind from no and more likely to change people's mind from yes. The no votes would continue voting no reflexively and the yes votes might start getting annoyed with the ballot issue being on there over and over and start changing to no.

There's nothing legally preventing anyone from coming to the ballot again and again with the same proposition, but it rarely happens. Thoughts are that if you go the ballot and fail, you're looking at 5-10 years before you can go back and try again. Gio is right - it'd become reflexively no for some and the people who do support it (financially and in the voting booth) may get sick of it and it could be perceived as a consistently lost cause.

The right decision was made - not that it was unexpected. With Hick running for Governor too, RTD lost a big champion whom people respect. Not that Hick doesn't support FasTracks or that he couldn't/wouldn't campaign for it, but it wouldn't be the top of his agenda. Also, fears over raising enough cash to run a sensible and meaningful campaign were also raised. Lots of factors (but mainly the economy) helped make the decision last night.