SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   City Compilations (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=87)
-   -   SAN DIEGO | Boom Rundown, Vol. 2 (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=126473)

Derek Nov 8, 2007 1:29 AM

It's about time they started flying here. San Diego was originally one of the launch destinations of Virgin America, but was dropped due to Southwest's new service to San Francisco introduced at the time of Virgin America's launch.

Hopefully Virgin America will announce other non-stop service to other destinations in the United States from San Diego shortly.

keg92101 Nov 8, 2007 2:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marina_Guy (Post 3152623)
The difference between San Diego and Chicago... Hmmm Let's see... Ah a mayor that is passionate and a champion of a downtown....Not a retired old policeman with no vision and no staff.

Anyone who has vision to turn San Diego into world class gets stomped by Psycho Agurrie, who has a press conference to announce he is going to investigate that person's corruption. Damn Shame...

Derek Nov 8, 2007 2:25 AM

Aguirre is a freaking bitch.

bmfarley Nov 8, 2007 2:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Derek loves SD (Post 3152811)
Aguirre is a freaking bitch.

I don't recall who I voted for... but Aguirre did at least one thing right in my mind. He didn't believe the conclusions of the downtown community plan update environmental impact report concernign impacts to traffic and transit... and so worked in a requirement into the final EIR that a developer impact fee be adopted to support improvements.

Marina_Guy Nov 8, 2007 3:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg92101 (Post 3152794)
Anyone who has vision to turn San Diego into world class gets stomped by Psycho Agurrie, who has a press conference to announce he is going to investigate that person's corruption. Damn Shame...

Aguirrie is a product of a weak mayor and council. Strong leaders wouldn't allow a city attorney to get away the stuff he spouts out of his mouth.

While Aguirrie may be viewed as a jerk, he has served a purpose. That purpose is to show how much of a power vacuum the city has... People like Aguirre because he constantly challenges those in power... he just gets it wrong 60% of the time...

spoonman Nov 8, 2007 4:19 AM

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2358/...301a4c.jpg?v=0
Quote:

Originally Posted by bushman61988 (Post 3151151)
A freakin insult... What the hell happened to the sails that were suppose to go on top? That's the only thing that really made these towers stand out! And now they're just going to be big, BLOCKY Boxes! :hell:

I for one am glad that they ditched those damn sails. I hate when architects try to make towers look nautically inspired, then talk about how the bay spoke to them and viola...

These look very 1960's LA modern, a look I'm very fond of.

Derek Nov 8, 2007 4:21 AM

It's mainly their fat basses that get me.

IconRPCV Nov 8, 2007 4:25 AM

I like them as well. I think they are a bit timeless and a bit hip; will they age well though?

spoonman Nov 8, 2007 4:30 AM

^^^ I agree with you Derek 100%. The bases as well as the height are pathetic crap for that area. These belong in Mission Valley, not on the waterfront. That size podium should have 4 buildings rather than 2.

Park Row should be a lesson to us about poor land use.

Derek Nov 8, 2007 4:59 AM

Park Row is a joke. :)

But honestly, the towers aren't too bad. They might look better somewhere else, but they still need to lose that gaudy base.

sandiego_urban Nov 8, 2007 7:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IconRPCV (Post 3153070)
I like them as well. I think they are a bit timeless and a bit hip; will they age well though?

I should have been more specific in my negative response earlier. Much of my disappointment has to do with the suburban officepark-looking base of the towers, and also the fact that it's basically another twin-tower project. It should go well with the neighboring Grande and proposed NBC twins, don't you think?. :(

I actually like the facade of the towers but hate the crowns (or lack of). I'd like it better if the buildings were stacked on top of each other and built in the East Village. I just think the waterfront location where these will be built deserves better. But the biggest plus is there's no mistaking that this is a Bosa project! :yes:

As for aging, I kinda see a resemblance to the Coronado Shores condos which were built in the 70's. Do you all think they've aged well?

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y12...Beachfront.jpg

sandiego_urban Nov 8, 2007 7:09 AM

On a another subject, does anyone have any information on the 560,000 square foot, multi-level power center that is being proposed for East Village near Petco Park? I read about it in today's SD Daily Transcript but it didn't mention any details.

Wouldn't it be cool to have an urban-style Target, Costco or Lowe's downtown?

keg92101 Nov 8, 2007 4:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spoonman (Post 3153057)
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2358/...301a4c.jpg?v=0

I for one am glad that they ditched those damn sails. I hate when architects try to make towers look nautically inspired, then talk about how the bay spoke to them and viola...

These look very 1960's LA modern, a look I'm very fond of.

I agree. However, whether these remain "timelss" or turn into crap ALL depends on the materials used on the exterior. High quality materials remain timelss. Painted concrete turns to crap.

keg92101 Nov 8, 2007 4:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sandiego_urban (Post 3153350)
On a another subject, does anyone have any information on the 560,000 square foot, multi-level power center that is being proposed for East Village near Petco Park? I read about it in today's SD Daily Transcript but it didn't mention any details.

Wouldn't it be cool to have an urban-style Target, Costco or Lowe's downtown?

This would be terrible. Single Uses in the downtown area can turn into a disiaster over the long haul. If you put a Target, Lowes, Costco in downtown, with no residential component, it turns into a ghost town at night and no we do have a traffic mess durring the day. I sure hope CCDC doesn't "F" this one up.

Derek Nov 8, 2007 10:54 PM

I think it could be cool, but I don't feel like enough people live in that area to support both a big retail store and small retail businesses. Building a big store like that will drive out the current occupants (or lack of) and it will certainly not attract any new business to the area.

mongoXZ Nov 9, 2007 1:16 AM

Ahhh. I can see it now. . .Wal-Mart East Village ;)

keg92101 Nov 9, 2007 1:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mongoXZ (Post 3155044)
Ahhh. I can see it now. . .Wal-Mart East Village ;)

Believe me, this would never happen.

bmfarley Nov 9, 2007 1:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg92101 (Post 3153780)
This would be terrible. Single Uses in the downtown area can turn into a disiaster over the long haul. If you put a Target, Lowes, Costco in downtown, with no residential component, it turns into a ghost town at night and no we do have a traffic mess durring the day. I sure hope CCDC doesn't "F" this one up.

Yes, I am curious about this too. I spot a location bounded by National, 16th and Newton on the far south side of downtown. The lot was remediated last year and is basically a very large open pit... about 10 feet deep ... and level. However, I heard a Lowe's or Home Depot or something like that was to go in there???

bmfarley Nov 9, 2007 2:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg92101 (Post 3153780)

Yes, I am curious about this too. I spot a location bounded by National, 16th and Newton on the far south side of downtown. The lot was remediated last year and is basically a very large open pit... about 10 feet deep ... and level. However, I heard from my ultra secret sources that a Lowe's or Home Depot or something like that was to go in there???

spoonman Nov 9, 2007 2:07 AM

I can't imagine why a home imprvement store would be very useful in an area that is comprised of buildings that are maintained by management companies that buy from vendors.