SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Proposals (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=361)
-   -   HOUSTON | One Market Square | FT | 46 FLOORS (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=206523)

cloud713 Jul 13, 2013 9:39 PM

HOUSTON | One Market Square | FT | 46 FLOORS

Developer: Stream Realty, Essex Commercial Properties
Architect: Gensler
Type: Office w/ retail
Construction Timeline:

I couldnt find a thread on this tower so i figured id start one. Its another proposed skyscraper in Houston that was supposed to be the first 50 story tower built in 30 years when it was announced back in April (of course now Chevron and Hines have 50+ story buildings supposed to get off the ground next year). the renderings havent been publicly released but a few people have seen it and say it slightly resembles the Burj al arab, and is a pretty dramatic design with a "top fin fish" sail type architectural feature that is supposed to light up down the side of the sail.

the tower is mentioned towards the bottom of the page.

"International Tower is being developed by Stream Realty and Essex Commercial Properties. This 925,000-square-foot, 37 story, Class A building in the CBD is being marketed as Houston’s first 50-story office tower in 30 years."
http://www.us.am.joneslanglasalle.co...ts_Q1_2013.pdf

EDIT: one of the renderings just leaked on Swamplot. it shows the original 50 story plan (apparently it was reduced to 41 stories). the new version is of the same design and estimated to be around 725'.

http://swamplot.com/wp-content/uploa...-rendering.jpg

colemonkee Jul 13, 2013 10:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cloud713 (Post 6196990)
"This 925,000-square-foot, 37 story, Class A building in the CBD is being marketed as Houston’s first 50-story office tower in 30 years."

As someone who works in marketing/advertising, I think someone else needs to double-check their math. Then call their attorney.

cloud713 Jul 13, 2013 10:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by colemonkee (Post 6197020)
As someone who works in marketing/advertising, I think someone else needs to double-check their math. Then call their attorney.

haha, i agree. though the people who have seen the rendering confirm its a 50ish story building, just built on top of a very tall parking garage.

toxteth o'grady Jul 15, 2013 7:47 PM

A 37-story building platformed on a 13-story garage would be unusual for downtown. Any potential tenants?

cloud713 Jul 16, 2013 12:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by toxteth o'grady (Post 6198752)
A 37-story building platformed on a 13-story garage would be unusual for downtown. Any potential tenants?

i think they are vying for the same group of tenants as 5AC, and Capital Tower, so its a matter of which gets off the ground first. and apparently this was scaled back to 41 stories according to a poster on HAIF. im not sure how tall the garage will be now.

Urbannizer Jul 21, 2013 1:38 AM

This one is moving forward:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chron
Developers planning an office tower on the northern end of downtown haven't put shovels in the ground yet, but some recently patched holes on the site reveal the group is moving forward with its proposal.

The holes were part of a geotechnical study on the land.

Before any tall building is constructed, holes are drilled into the ground to collect soil samples that provide guidance for designing the foundation.

The site is next to Market Square Park and is bordered by Preston, Prairie, Milam and Travis.

Civil engineer Edward Ulrich, whose firm conducted the geotechnical study, compares the different components of engineering a skyscraper to the human body.

"The architect designs the skin. The structural engineer designs the bones. The mechanical engineer designs the circulation. My job as a foundation engineer is to design your feet," said Ulrich, of Houston-based Ulrich Engineers.

The proposed tower would be developed by Essex Commercial Properties, the real estate firm affiliated with general contracting firm Linbeck Group, and Stream Realty Partners.

Essex president Eugene Lee said the developers are exploring ideas that would enhance the area's pedestrian and retail environment.

"We're hoping we can be an additional catalyst around Market Square Park," he said.

A start date has not been set for the project, which could have 750,000 square feet.

Article:http://www.houstonchronicle.com/busi...er-4676395.php

toxteth o'grady Jul 22, 2013 3:50 PM

I couldn't find date for that article.

Urbannizer Jul 22, 2013 3:54 PM

I've just seen this one, and it's pretty nice. Makes a big impact on the skyline due to its location. I can't reveal the renderings until an official announcement is made or something leaks online. There are solar panels(?) within the top and the tower looks somewhat like a head and shoulders shampoo bottle from the south view. The floor count has been reduced to 41 floors - 30 office floors and 11 levels of parking.

shakman Jul 24, 2013 2:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Urbannizer (Post 6206028)
I've just seen this one, and it's pretty nice. Makes a big impact on the skyline due to its location. I can't reveal the renderings until an official announcement is made or something leaks online. There are solar panels(?) within the top and the tower looks somewhat like a head and shoulders shampoo bottle from the south view. The floor count has been reduced to 41 floors - 30 office floors and 11 levels of parking.

I pray the above grade parking is concealed behind an aesthetic appeasing façade.

Urbannizer Jul 24, 2013 3:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shakman (Post 6207975)
I pray the above grade parking is concealed behind an aesthetic appeasing façade.

It's your average parking garage, but hopefully they add a nice facade to it. The tower looks to be above 725ft.

cloud713 Jul 24, 2013 5:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Urbannizer (Post 6208070)
It's your average parking garage, but hopefully they add a nice facade to it. The tower looks to be above 725ft.

ugh.. at least the garage wont be visible in photos of the skyline, and like you said.. hopefully they add a nice facade.
725 feet though for a 41 story building, 11 floors being parking garage? that would be fantastic, it just seems a little optimistic (unless there is a crown/architectural feature on top) considering 609 Main is 757' and 49 stories, with a 60' crown on top. i hope the rendering was drawn to scale and your right.. it would have a huge impact on the north end of the skyline.

Urbannizer Jul 24, 2013 5:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cloud713 (Post 6208183)
ugh.. at least the garage wont be visible in photos of the skyline, and like you said.. hopefully they add a nice facade.
725 feet though for a 41 story building, 11 floors being parking garage? that would be fantastic, it just seems a little optimistic (unless there is a crown/architectural feature on top) considering 609 Main is 757' and 49 stories, with a 60' crown on top. i hope the rendering was drawn to scale and your right.. it would have a huge impact on the north end of the skyline.

Yeah the top makes it taller. They took several views of downtown from google maps and added the building to the skyline. It's a bit taller than the Fullbright Tower.

cloud713 Jul 25, 2013 5:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Urbannizer (Post 6208694)
Yeah the top makes it taller. They took several views of downtown from google maps and added the building to the skyline. It's a bit taller than the Fullbright Tower.

thats great news.. now im even more excited about this one possibly moving forward. 3 different 700'+ towers possibly rising in downtown Houston at the same time. that will be quite a site.

cloud713 Jul 28, 2013 4:16 AM

How does one edit the thread title? I'm trying to put "725+ FT" in the thread title.

Urbannizer Jul 28, 2013 4:37 AM

^ Done. :) If you want a thread title changed you'll have to ask me or another mod here.

cloud713 Jul 30, 2013 9:17 PM

the rendering just leaked on Swamplot..

JayPro Jul 30, 2013 9:35 PM

:eeekk::eeekk::eeekk::eeekk::eeekk::eeekk::eeekk::eeekk:

KevinFromTexas Jul 30, 2013 9:38 PM

Oh my. Now that is a nice tower. That could end up being iconic for Houston. And it looks like there's an observation deck up there just below the crown.

What is the address for this location?

cloud713 Jul 30, 2013 10:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas (Post 6215699)
Oh my. Now that is a nice tower. That could end up being iconic for Houston. And it looks like there's an observation deck up there just below the crown.

What is the address for this location?

agreed. and i was hoping/thinking that may be what the 50th floor is. it definitely looks a little different than the other floors. the swamplot article still says 41 stories, but i counted the floors in the rendering and its 50, not 41. there do appear to be about 41 floors above a 9ish story parking garage though, so maybe the tower was never reduced to 41 stories, they just started calling it a 41 story tower because it was on a 9 story podium/garage? this thing is going to POP at night with the strip of color changing LEDs down the curved edge.

the address is the block bound by Preston, Prairie, Milan, and Travis. not sure on a specific block number.

TXLove Jul 30, 2013 10:13 PM

WOW! Please get this one built Houston :slob::slob::slob::slob:

Rail Claimore Jul 30, 2013 10:23 PM

With this and 609 Main, the Chase Tower will no longer be just a bookend of the skyline.

cloud713 Jul 30, 2013 10:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rail Claimore (Post 6215773)
With this and 609 Main, the Chase Tower will no longer be just a bookend of the skyline.

agreed, this one especially will really help by extend the skyline 2 blocks to the north.

Urbannizer Jul 30, 2013 10:52 PM

I'm not sure why the floor count for this one was pushed back up to 50 floors. Even though you may get the 50 floors if you count, Swamplot is right. It will be 41 floors. I guess I'll just wait until an official announcement is made.

Onn Jul 30, 2013 11:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cloud713 (Post 6215662)
the rendering just leaked on Swamplot..

Wow, that's really amazing! Houston's booming! Now where's that 102 floor monster insiders were talking about. :drooling:

cloud713 Jul 30, 2013 11:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Urbannizer (Post 6215819)
I'm not sure why the floor count for this one was pushed back up to 50 floors. Even though you may get the 50 floors if you count, Swamplot is right. It will be 41 floors. I guess I'll just wait until an official announcement is made.

im not sure why/how it was changed either. i guess someone read my edit in the original post mentioning that i counted 50 floors in the rendering and they changed it. some members on HAIF are reporting that it is in fact "only" 41 stories, and that the height was reduced from a 50 story version. same design though. so urbannizer.. the 41 floor version is the version you say will top 725' ?

KevinFromTexas Jul 30, 2013 11:25 PM

I changed it. I went ahead and changed it back.

Urbannizer Jul 30, 2013 11:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cloud713 (Post 6215863)
im not sure why/how it was changed either. i guess someone read my edit in the original post mentioning that i counted 50 floors in the rendering and they changed it. some members on HAIF are reporting that it is in fact "only" 41 stories, and that the height was reduced from a 50 story version. same design though. so urbannizer.. the 41 floor version is the version you say will top 725' ?

If the number of floors is correct in the google earth images of this tower that I've seen (the images are too small to count), then yes it will be around 725'.

cloud713 Jul 31, 2013 12:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Urbannizer (Post 6215911)
If the number of floors is correct in the google earth images of this tower that I've seen (the images are too small to count), then yes it will be around 725'.

great. i wonder how tall this 50 floor version would have been. 825'? oh well, even at 41 floors it will have a huge impact on the north end of the skyline. i noticed you said in a post on the previous page that the parking garage was exposed? in the rendering it appears they are cladded over, and the LED lighting continues down the side of them. did that part of the design change or is the building exactly the same, just 9 floors shorter?

Shasta Jul 31, 2013 6:46 PM

BEAUTIFUL.

Hoping this one makes it off the ground. Would literally transform the skyline due to it's sheer elegance and location.

chris08876 Jul 31, 2013 10:04 PM

Love the roof design. Very modern :cool:

shakman Aug 1, 2013 1:07 PM

Very well done. This will the give the skyline much more prominence when viewing from the north.

toxteth o'grady Aug 1, 2013 1:48 PM

Unless the foreshortening is making it look tall, I think the rendering is of a building that will be taller than 725 feet. And what do you suppose is on the roof - solar panels?

Design-mind Aug 1, 2013 2:15 PM

I really like the crown on this building, and would hope that it would be lit up at night.

KevinFromTexas Aug 1, 2013 4:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by toxteth o'grady (Post 6217821)
Unless the foreshortening is making it look tall, I think the rendering is of a building that will be taller than 725 feet. And what do you suppose is on the roof - solar panels?

Yeah, maybe it's just the angle, but it really does look taller than that. The rendering seems accurate. It makes it appear large compared to the Chase Tower but really, the Chase Tower isn't very wide. Chase Tower is only 170 feet wide on the two longest sides fronting Travis and Texas. The rendering is making this building appear to be pretty close to 800 feet tall. Chase Tower is 1,002 feet, so that puts it around 200 feet shorter. The rendering isn't looking at the building from street level either. The image appears to be taken from about 75 feet off the ground.

Urbannizer Aug 1, 2013 5:06 PM

I guess I'll post the full version of that rendering since it has leaked. Also, someone that knows a lot more about the project over on HAIF says the top floor will be double in height and the crown is about four stories tall.

Here's the full rendering:
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7395/9...2f65c0c1_b.jpg

cloud713 Aug 1, 2013 6:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Urbannizer (Post 6215911)

Urbannizer said its the 41 story version that will be around 725', not the 50 story version shown in the renderings.

shakman Aug 1, 2013 7:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cloud713 (Post 6218202)
Urbannizer said its the 41 story version that will be around 725', not the 50 story version shown in the renderings.

I counted 41-floors from the rendering. Anyone else would like count and /or re-count? Curious to know who else came up with 41-floors.

Perhaps the paralax shift from the angle of the rendering gives the appearance the structure being closer to height of JP Morgan. If there are other angles of the rendering, it should give a more accurate idea of its relation to the other towers.

cloud713 Aug 1, 2013 7:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shakman (Post 6218307)
I counted 41-floors from the rendering. Anyone else would like count and /or re-count? Curious to know who else came up with 41-floors.

Perhaps the paralax shift from the angle of the rendering gives the appearance the structure being closer to height of JP Morgan. If there are other angles of the rendering, it should give a more accurate idea of its relation to the other towers.

apparently there are a few other angles/renderings. i counted 50 stories, though it seems like about 41 or so are on top of a garage. the new design calls for 30 floors of office on an 11 story garage according to a few people.

TallBob Aug 1, 2013 9:04 PM

Nice tower! At 725', I would think it'll be closer to 50 floors. IMO

shakman Aug 1, 2013 9:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cloud713 (Post 6218317)
apparently there are a few other angles/renderings. i counted 50 stories, though it seems like about 41 or so are on top of a garage. the new design calls for 30 floors of office on an 11 story garage according to a few people.

:haha: I counted 41 on top of the garage very well knowing it would sit on top of an 11-story garage. :help:

So this design may be quite different from the rendering? Will the developer keep the same theme but shorter?

cloud713 Aug 1, 2013 11:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shakman (Post 6218492)
:haha: I counted 41 on top of the garage very well knowing it would sit on top of an 11-story garage. :help:

So this design may be quite different from the rendering? Will the developer keep the same theme but shorter?

i get the impression from posts by people who know what theyre talking about that yes it will be the same design, just reduced in height.

toxteth o'grady Aug 7, 2013 7:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shakman (Post 6218492)

That would certainly reshape the bow. It should look interesting, in any regard.

Urbannizer Aug 26, 2013 8:22 AM

Another rendering of International Tower. This one was posted over on HAIF.

http://i.imgur.com/dThHJ9b.jpg

toxteth o'grady Aug 27, 2013 8:24 PM

Nice render. Hope it finds tenants soon.

kingkirbythe.... Aug 27, 2013 8:46 PM

Beautiful building.

shakman Aug 27, 2013 10:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Urbannizer (Post 6244583)
Another rendering of International Tower. This one was posted over on HAIF.

http://i.imgur.com/dThHJ9b.jpg

Is this the older rendering? I am counting more than 41-floors.

AustinTay Aug 28, 2013 1:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shakman (Post 6246446)

Yes it is.

Urbannizer Aug 28, 2013 9:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shakman (Post 6246446)

Yes. Same design, just a few floors trimmed off from the original plan. Here's the brochure:

http://i.imgur.com/uihdoUp.jpg

KevinFromTexas Aug 28, 2013 11:42 AM

It looks to be about 750 feet.

shakman Aug 30, 2013 3:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas (Post 6246984)
It looks to be about 750 feet.

I counted 41+ floors on the brochure rendering.

Would someone else like to squint and count the floors from the brochure? :D