SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=223)
-   -   [Halifax] NFB Building | 15 m | 7 fl | U/C (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=183321)

fenwick16 Aug 16, 2014 7:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drybrain (Post 6693561)
I'm kinda glad they're only recreating the building as it was--just because I wonder how a taller building behind the facade could be gracefully integrated. I'm kind of excited to see a true reconstruction of a historical building that would otherwise be lost. We don't have many of those.

But one thing that is profoundly dumb is that the original tower on top of the mansard roof (as seen on the right in this pic) can't be rebuilt, because it now falls under view plane restrictions. I mean, come on--the tower was built in 1891, and in 2014 it's too tall? Quite ridiculous.

I don't want to be disagreeable, but this project by necessity is facadism. A better reconstruction (i.e new construction) would be to keep the original number of floors and a "true reconstruction" would be to restore the original floor layout. I am glad that they are at least keeping the Barrington Street facade and I think they deserve some credit for the way in which they added an extra floor (only one floor will intersect within a window-recess, as shown in this image posted by ns_kid - https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3845/...9de0e245_b.jpg, so it could have been much worse).

I would also like to have seen the original tower restored; it would have made an interesting loft for one of the apartments. Thanks for posting this image - http://www.historicplaces.ca/hpimage...7528_Large.jpg - 1800's architacture certainly had some interesting details.

counterfactual Aug 17, 2014 12:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drybrain (Post 6693561)
I'm kinda glad they're only recreating the building as it was--just because I wonder how a taller building behind the facade could be gracefully integrated. I'm kind of excited to see a true reconstruction of a historical building that would otherwise be lost. We don't have many of those.

But one thing that is profoundly dumb is that the original tower on top of the mansard roof (as seen on the right in this pic) can't be rebuilt, because it now falls under view plane restrictions. I mean, come on--the tower was built in 1891, and in 2014 it's too tall? Quite ridiculous.

Awh, that sucks. The tower makes it an entirely different building.

BRAIN TEASER / 'CHOOSE YOUR OWN ADVENTURE' / THOUGHT EXPERIMENT OF THE DAY: the developers decide that they'd like to restore the tower on top of the NFB building, for the sake of heritage. But they know that it will directly impinge on the view plane.

Question: Would the Nova Scotia Heritage Trust support or oppose the tower's restoration?

fenwick16 Aug 17, 2014 1:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by counterfactual (Post 6694034)
Awh, that sucks. The tower makes it an entirely different building.

BRAIN TEASER / 'CHOOSE YOUR OWN ADVENTURE' / THOUGHT EXPERIMENT OF THE DAY: the developers decide that they'd like to restore the tower on top of the NFB building, for the sake of heritage. But they know that it will directly impinge on the view plane.

Question: Would the Nova Scotia Heritage Trust support or oppose the tower's restoration?

It is tough to predict but either way it would delay the development by many months, possibly years since it would require a municipal by-law amendment that would have to be approved by the provincial government (similar to the Fenwick Tower proposal that was 1 -2 feet within a view-plane, they chose instead to change the design).

ILoveHalifax Aug 17, 2014 3:35 AM

We are so blessed that GOD in the fullness of time, declared the view planes for Halifax. It would be silly that they cannot be changed or adjusted if they were decided by men.

Drybrain Sep 12, 2014 5:25 PM

I keep checking this site for activity whenever I'm nearby, and so far there doesn't appear to be any on-site action, but there are two "For Lease" signs now affixed to the facade. Which is a positive sign, I guess, but a bit funny, since it appears the blasted-ruin-looking facade is for lease.

OldDartmouthMark Sep 12, 2014 5:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drybrain (Post 6727228)
I keep checking this site for activity whenever I'm nearby, and so far there doesn't appear to be any on-site action, but there are two "For Lease" signs now affixed to the facade. Which is a positive sign, I guess, but a bit funny, since it appears the blasted-ruin-looking facade is for lease.

Hmmm... maybe to take advantage of film festival timing?

FOR LEASE - one bombed-out façade suitable for filming war-based themes... :cool:

Drybrain Oct 10, 2014 4:17 PM

Walked by at lunch today and there's finally on-site work happening here. The padlocked door was wide open and there were a bunch of guys inside filling wheelbarrows with trees and bushes that had grown inside.

Keith P. Oct 10, 2014 4:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drybrain (Post 6764012)
Walked by at lunch today and there's finally on-site work happening here. The padlocked door was wide open and there were a bunch of guys inside filling wheelbarrows with trees and bushes that had grown inside.

Cripes. Now I expect an environmental group to come along demanding that the wild growth be saved.

ILoveHalifax Oct 10, 2014 6:27 PM

Save the weeds

Ziobrop Oct 27, 2014 4:05 PM

weeds are being dug out today.
From http://hfxconstruction.tumblr.com/
http://33.media.tumblr.com/f2da70281...slyo1_1280.jpg

JET Oct 27, 2014 6:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ziobrop (Post 6784364)

Ziobrop, do you have any 'inside' shots?

terrynorthend Oct 27, 2014 10:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ziobrop (Post 6784364)

Three guys, a wheelbarrow and a Dodge Ram. This one'll take a while. :uhh:

JET Oct 28, 2014 1:48 PM

looks like three giys, two wheelbarrows, and a garbage can; might not be so bad. :-)

hokus83 Oct 28, 2014 4:10 PM

Why on earth aren't they removing the weeds with the other rubble, debris, remains. Don't they have to dig up the foundation anyways?

ILoveHalifax Oct 28, 2014 4:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hokus83 (Post 6785569)
Why on earth aren't they removing the weeds with the other rubble, debris, remains. Don't they have to dig up the foundation anyways?

Maybe the weeds have to be put in with organic waste.

someone123 Oct 28, 2014 4:53 PM

I just think it's great something is happening here.

OldDartmouthMark Oct 28, 2014 5:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by someone123 (Post 6785639)
I just think it's great something is happening here.

:iagree:

Keith P. Oct 28, 2014 7:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hokus83 (Post 6785569)

They are heritage weeds so they need to preserve them for infinity. ;)

Ziobrop Oct 28, 2014 8:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Keith P. (Post 6785826)
They are heritage weeds so they need to preserve them for infinity. ;)

There is no practical way to get equipment in, or more importantly material out other then by hand.

hokus83 Oct 28, 2014 8:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ziobrop (Post 6785930)
There is no practical way to get equipment in, or more importantly material out other then by hand.

So they are going to remove everything by hand and build it one brick at a time by hand. This should be finished by 2320

Keith P. Oct 28, 2014 10:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hokus83 (Post 6786045)
So they are going to remove everything by hand and build it one brick at a time by hand. This should be finished by 2320

Or longer, if they hire the 5 Moes.

worldlyhaligonian Oct 28, 2014 11:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Keith P. (Post 6786192)

Even worse, the 3 moes.

worldlyhaligonian Oct 28, 2014 11:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hokus83 (Post 6786045)

Well, its already been how many years? :grumpycat:

Ziobrop Oct 29, 2014 4:01 PM

getting equipment in is fine. its getting the dirt out. maybee a conveyor through the front door. will be interesting to see.

they left the front open, and i was able to get these:
http://31.media.tumblr.com/b9a07af43...uslyo1_500.jpghttp://31.media.tumblr.com/38180c8b5...uslyo2_500.jpg

ILoveHalifax Oct 29, 2014 5:22 PM

Three wheelbarrows, this should move along quickly.

TheLittleGuy Oct 29, 2014 7:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Keith P. (Post 6786192)

So true, that made me smile, the city needs to just let development happen

Ziobrop Oct 30, 2014 1:41 AM

I asked the guys doing the digging. Apparently they only have 3' of dirt to dig before they hit rock. They didn't seem to think it was a lot of work

Waye Mason Oct 30, 2014 11:28 AM

There is no way to get backhoes back there, it has walls on four sides. At least when they are pouring cement it can be pumped in from the street!

JET Oct 30, 2014 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Waye Mason (Post 6788316)
There is no way to get backhoes back there, it has walls on four sides. At least when they are pouring cement it can be pumped in from the street!

Maybe not a backhoe, but a bobcat could probably make it in through the front entry (double doors width); just not the type of CAT that Keith would prefer.

Keith P. Oct 30, 2014 1:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JET (Post 6788357)
Maybe not a backhoe, but a bobcat could probably make it in through the front entry (double doors width); just not the type of CAT that Keith would prefer.

There is still time to fix this mistake. A rogue D7 could make a 90-degree turn off Barrington and make short work of this eyesore in mere minutes.

OldDartmouthMark Oct 30, 2014 6:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Keith P. (Post 6788402)
There is still time to fix this mistake. A rogue D7 could make a 90-degree turn off Barrington and make short work of this eyesore in mere minutes.

Here's hoping that you don't win the lottery in the next month or so! I can see the headlines: Man buys D7 after winning the lottery and mistakenly turns the remains of the NFB façade into a pile of rubble. "I didn't mean to knock it down", says recent lottery winner Keith P, "it was just a rookie mistake". :haha:

After the building has started, I remove my hex on your winning the lottery, though. I don't really want to jinx anybody's chances of winning, just want to save what's left of the building... ;)

Keith P. Oct 30, 2014 9:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OldDartmouthMark (Post 6788832)
Here's hoping that you don't win the lottery in the next month or so! I can see the headlines: Man buys D7 after winning the lottery and mistakenly turns the remains of the NFB façade into a pile of rubble. "I didn't mean to knock it down", says recent lottery winner Keith P, "it was just a rookie mistake". :haha:

Made me laugh. Thought of this: :shrug:

Too bad the board doesn't have a bulldozer smilie.

JET Oct 31, 2014 12:27 PM

:Titanic: not a bulldozer, but probably reflects Keith's view of the building.

OldDartmouthMark Oct 31, 2014 6:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Keith P. (Post 6789195)
Made me laugh. Thought of this: :shrug:

Too bad the board doesn't have a bulldozer smilie.

Couldn't find one knocking down a building, so this will have to do...

http://www.urbana.k12.oh.us/uhs/anim...ng_dirt_sc.gif

:cheers:

Ziobrop Nov 20, 2014 3:33 PM

on my way in this morning, i noticed there was a mini excavator in the building, and a conveyor leading out one of the windows into a dumpster.

Looks like they could get some equipment in.

fenwick16 Jan 18, 2015 6:03 PM

It has been a couple of months since the last update. Is work still ongoing or has it halted for the winter?

Ziobrop Jan 18, 2015 10:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fenwick16 (Post 6879819)
It has been a couple of months since the last update. Is work still ongoing or has it halted for the winter?

No they still seem To be working in there.
I see them around. Not sure what's going on but they are doing something

Jonovision Jan 19, 2015 3:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fenwick16 (Post 6879819)

There is a small excavator working inside the site. It is very slow going as it has to navigate its bucket through a window opening for every scoop to get it into the large bin that is on the sidewalk. No visible progress from the street.

counterfactual Jan 20, 2015 6:11 AM

Surprised this development is taking to long. Doesn't seem so major to me. 5 Floors. No massive expansion.

JET Jan 20, 2015 2:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by counterfactual (Post 6881628)
Surprised this development is taking to long. Doesn't seem so major to me. 5 Floors. No massive expansion.

When there's not enough room to swing a cat, it's takes some time. The CD plus building was also a bit tight and the early bits getting into the ground took some time.

Drybrain Jan 20, 2015 2:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by counterfactual (Post 6881628)

I'm guessing that a lot of it has to do with clearing out the lot (it was full of pretty sizable trees and a lot of garbage) and as JET says, probably it's more delicate than usual since there's the old facade to consider. There's probably extra care they have to take to ensure they don't, like, knock it over.

Jonovision Jan 20, 2015 6:57 PM

From this morning.

https://36.media.tumblr.com/9040325c...8kjeo1_540.jpg

Keith P. Jan 20, 2015 7:20 PM

Still looks like the ugly bombed-out shell it has always been. Where's that Cat D-8... :yes:

someone123 Feb 21, 2015 7:25 PM

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B8XDe1TCcAEcq03.jpg:large
Source

Jonovision Mar 28, 2015 2:46 PM

The door has been open a lot lately when I walk by, but not visible progress.

https://40.media.tumblr.com/6156588c...kjeo1_1280.jpg

fenwick16 Mar 28, 2015 2:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jonovision (Post 6968558)
The door has been open a lot lately when I walk by, but not visible progress.

https://40.media.tumblr.com/6156588c...kjeo1_1280.jpg

It is good to see an update on the NFB project. Hopefully once the snow melts the progress will accelerate.

OldDartmouthMark Mar 30, 2015 4:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fenwick16 (Post 6968574)
It is good to see an update on the NFB project. Hopefully once the snow melts the progress will accelerate.

:iagree:

Really looking forward to progress on this one!

kph06 Mar 30, 2015 4:32 PM

There's steel decking making up the second floor visible from the door when I was by this weekend.

JET Mar 30, 2015 6:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kph06 (Post 6970749)
There's steel decking making up the second floor visible from the door when I was by this weekend.

I thought I saw that as well when I drove by on the bus last week, could just see what looked like metal floor joists for a second floor as I went by; even with all the snow the Moes have been busy. That'll make it much harder for a random CAT to knock it down.

Keith P. Mar 30, 2015 11:12 PM

Maybe a rogue AC Airbus can stop by.