SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=223)
-   -   [Halifax] NFB Building | 15 m | 7 fl | U/C (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=183321)

someone123 Sep 28, 2019 8:11 PM

Looks like a large crowd was protesting how long this construction project is taking:

https://scontent-sea1-1.cdninstagram...om&_nc_cat=101
Source

Keith P. Sep 28, 2019 9:56 PM

This one is actually slower than a govt construction project, which is quite the feat!

teddifax Sep 28, 2019 11:45 PM

Just how long has this been both under consideration and then being built?

atbw Sep 30, 2019 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by teddifax (Post 8701348)
Just how long has this been both under consideration and then being built?

The building was gutted in 1991, and the first post in the forum regarding this project was from 2010.

teddifax Sep 30, 2019 2:37 PM

Wow.... I can't imagine how they will ever make any money out of this one...

alps Oct 2, 2019 2:21 AM

On-site work began in October 2014. It's now been under construction for five years. One Bloor, a 75-storey building in Toronto, was completed faster than this.

Keith P. Oct 2, 2019 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alps (Post 8704282)
On-site work began in October 2014. It's now been under construction for five years. One Bloor, a 75-storey building in Toronto, was completed faster than this.

One suspects that project did not have the Five Guys Named Moe doing the work however. :haha:

pblaauw Oct 25, 2019 5:38 AM

Went by today and one of the windows in the ground floor has been installed. :shrug:

Jonovision Oct 25, 2019 4:57 PM

The glass on the highest part is now also installed.

someone123 Oct 25, 2019 5:20 PM

I'm still wondering what sort of restoration work they plan on doing to the old facade. You'd think that installing windows would interfere with at least some masonry work, so maybe that implies that work isn't going to happen?

For a Keith Hall level restoration job I think they'd need to replace a lot of the stonework and at least repoint the brick if not replace some of it. I'm not sure if there are techniques for restoring the bricks themselves.

hoser111 Oct 25, 2019 6:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by someone123 (Post 8729277)
I'm still wondering what sort of restoration work they plan on doing to the old facade. You'd think that installing windows would interfere with at least some masonry work, so maybe that implies that work isn't going to happen?

For a Keith Hall level restoration job I think they'd need to replace a lot of the stonework and at least repoint the brick if not replace some of it. I'm not sure if there are techniques for restoring the bricks themselves.

Faux brick vinyl siding.......:D

OldDartmouthMark Oct 25, 2019 7:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by someone123 (Post 8729277)

With the "speed" at which this one has progressed, I don't hold out any hope that there will be a high level restoration on the facade... or at least one that we could expect to be completed in the next decade or so... :haha:

Keith P. Oct 25, 2019 9:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OldDartmouthMark (Post 8729416)
With the "speed" at which this one has progressed, I don't hold out any hope that there will be a high level restoration on the facade... or at least one that we could expect to be completed in the next decade or so... :haha:

They may need to conduct restoration on the modern components by the time this is ready to open. :D

OldDartmouthMark Oct 25, 2019 10:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Keith P. (Post 8729575)
They may need to conduct restoration on the modern components by the time this is ready to open. :D

:yes:

:haha:

someone123 Feb 10, 2020 6:20 PM

https://scontent-sea1-1.xx.fbcdn.net...66&oe=5EB764C4
Source

mleblanc Feb 10, 2020 9:13 PM

Are they not planning on restoring the brickwork at all? Seems strange that all the windows are in without doing that.

Keith P. Feb 10, 2020 9:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mleblanc (Post 8826949)
Are they not planning on restoring the brickwork at all? Seems strange that all the windows are in without doing that.

Perhaps its status as a Barrington St eyesore is enshrined under HRM by Design and cannot be altered. :uhh:

OldDartmouthMark Feb 10, 2020 10:55 PM

Wasn't the brick/stone improperly "restored" a number of years ago, resulting in some loss of detail?

Drybrain Feb 10, 2020 11:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OldDartmouthMark (Post 8827112)
Wasn't the brick/stone improperly "restored" a number of years ago, resulting in some loss of detail?

Yeah, my understanding is that it was a bad cleaning job. It's not going to be possible to recover all that detail, so the roughness of the facade is basically going to be permanent. But there will be repointing and detailing and some additional work done, as I understand, after main construction.

OldDartmouthMark Feb 11, 2020 5:36 PM

Whether you like it or not, there's quite a story that goes along with this building, just over the past 30-some years. Don't know much about its history before it was burnt down, but it must be out there somewhere.

They should put a plaque in front of this building when it's finished, telling the story...