SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Canada (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Canadian Airport Thread (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=153826)

DrNest Nov 24, 2017 4:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cage (Post 7995362)
Hearing rumors that Westjet is going to drop AA and rest of Oneworld for exclusive relationship with DL and Skyteam.

Unknown whether this will become full alliance membership, but at this point I doubt it. More likely this will be an exclusive long term dating relationship rather than DL making an honest partner with WS.

I've heard talk of WestJet joining SkyTeam too. I think that would be a good move both for WestJet and SkyTeam. Whether they will become a full member is another question. I postulate Virgin Atlantic will join SkyTeam before WestJet.
Although personally I'd like to see both join.

casper Nov 25, 2017 9:26 PM

Nice addition to the WestJet offering using Pacific Costal airlines Saab aircraft under a capacity purchase agreement.

Details at:
http://westjet2.mediaroom.com/index.php?s=43&item=1296

I have done Pacific Coastal on the Saab aircraft on the Saab 340 between Victoria and Prince George a few times. Comparable aircraft to the Q300. Excellent in flight service.

At the airport they are so much more pleasant to deal with in comparison to either the WestJet or AC checkin staff. They usually have the boarding passes printed before you arrive. Complementary checked baggage, with the carry on none of this silly-ness the other airlines have of re-consolidate your baggage so it is at most 2 items and fits. If the total volume of everything and weight is good then how it is composed into items just does not matter.

DrNest Nov 25, 2017 11:45 PM

That's fantastic news for WestJet. I'm happy to see them expanding like this.

SaskOttaLoo Nov 26, 2017 1:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by casper (Post 7997503)
Nice addition to the WestJet offering using Pacific Costal airlines Saab aircraft under a capacity purchase agreement.

Details at:
http://westjet2.mediaroom.com/index.php?s=43&item=1296

I have done Pacific Coastal on the Saab aircraft on the Saab 340 between Victoria and Prince George a few times. Comparable aircraft to the Q300. Excellent in flight service.

At the airport they are so much more pleasant to deal with in comparison to either the WestJet or AC checkin staff. They usually have the boarding passes printed before you arrive. Complementary checked baggage, with the carry on none of this silly-ness the other airlines have of re-consolidate your baggage so it is at most 2 items and fits. If the total volume of everything and weight is good then how it is composed into items just does not matter.

So is this additional service to these cities that didn't exist before? The quotes on the link you give from the cities in question suggest that it is. If so, that's awesome in opening up a number of communities to more convenient air connections and deserves a pretty serious celebration!

YVR_Future Nov 26, 2017 2:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DrNest (Post 7996431)
I've heard talk of WestJet joining SkyTeam too. I think that would be a good move both for WestJet and SkyTeam. Whether they will become a full member is another question. I postulate Virgin Atlantic will join SkyTeam before WestJet.
Although personally I'd like to see both join.

Joining an alliance would be pretty uncharacteristic for an LCC, though WestJet seems to be making themselves into a full-service airline nowadays.

casper Nov 26, 2017 5:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SaskOttaLoo (Post 7997637)
So is this additional service to these cities that didn't exist before? The quotes on the link you give from the cities in question suggest that it is. If so, that's awesome in opening up a number of communities to more convenient air connections and deserves a pretty serious celebration!

I believe these are routes currently served only by Air Canada. Having WestJet market these routes means competition and more options.

Prince George and Cranbrook are existing Pacific Costal stations. However its different routes. Pacific Costal runs Prince George to Victoria service not Calgary. However it sounds like these are deals where all the space on the aircraft will be sold to WestJet and the aircraft will be painted in a WestJet design. WestJet is simply contracting out the operation of the flight but it is basically there.

SaskOttaLoo Nov 26, 2017 1:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by casper (Post 7997738)
I believe these are routes currently served only by Air Canada. Having WestJet market these routes means competition and more options.

Prince George and Cranbrook are existing Pacific Costal stations. However its different routes. Pacific Costal runs Prince George to Victoria service not Calgary. However it sounds like these are deals where all the space on the aircraft will be sold to WestJet and the aircraft will be painted in a WestJet design. WestJet is simply contracting out the operation of the flight but it is basically there.

I looked on flightconnections.com and it seems they all already do (via AC) except Prince George. Interesting also how many more connections Prince George has compared with Lethbridge despite being much smaller due to its greater geographic isolation.

Cage Nov 26, 2017 5:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by casper (Post 7997503)
At the airport they are so much more pleasant to deal with in comparison to either the WestJet or AC checkin staff. They usually have the boarding passes printed before you arrive. Complementary checked baggage, with the carry on none of this silly-ness the other airlines have of re-consolidate your baggage so it is at most 2 items and fits. If the total volume of everything and weight is good then how it is composed into items just does not matter.

The service will be sold by Westjet using WS pricing model. At the airport, it will be Westjet type checkin and westjet employees where the airport also has Westjet service. Pilots and flight attendant ,ight be the only Pasco employees the pax sees.

Quote:

Originally Posted by YVR_Future (Post 7997682)
Joining an alliance would be pretty uncharacteristic for an LCC, though WestJet seems to be making themselves into a full-service airline nowadays.

The list of unLCC things WS has been doing lately is longer than the list of LCC compliant things.

Operating regional routes for the sole purpose of contribution to the total network profitability where in the route loses money but it's hoped the summ total of all connection traffic will make the whole network more profitable.

Quote:

Originally Posted by casper (Post 7997738)
I believe these are routes currently served only by Air Canada. Having WestJet market these routes means competition and more options.

Team red is a longtime fixture on these new Westjet link routes.

DrNest Nov 26, 2017 10:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YVR_Future (Post 7997682)
Joining an alliance would be pretty uncharacteristic for an LCC, though WestJet seems to be making themselves into a full-service airline nowadays.

Comparing service and frills, there's little difference between WestJet and Air Canada for flights within North America. I would hardly call WestJet a LCC anymore. Even the legacy carriers are nickel and diming you for everything.

thenoflyzone Nov 27, 2017 12:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cage (Post 7997955)



The list of unLCC things WS has been doing lately is longer than the list of LCC compliant things.

The only thing left to do is join an alliance..........

casper Nov 27, 2017 1:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thenoflyzone (Post 7998217)
The only thing left to do is join an alliance..........

They could do what Alaska does and just go steady with both One World and Skyteam at the same time. Love triangles are had to keep going for to long.

My guess is Skyteam and WestJet will eventually starting going steady. One world will fell rejected and start to have coffee with Porter.

J81 Nov 27, 2017 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ILoveHalifax (Post 7995632)
The obvious choice out of Halifax to western USA and South and Central America is thru Newark on United - Anything to avoid Air Canada

Id do anything to avoid Newark and United!

rotten42 Nov 27, 2017 2:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J81 (Post 7998499)
Id do anything to avoid Newark and United!

Can you explain further? I mean I understand the United part but why Newark? I have to book a trip down south. My options are United threw Newark or Air Canada through T.O.

esquire Nov 27, 2017 3:03 PM

^ Newark is fine. YYZ is a nicer airport but it's six of one, half dozen of the other. People in this thread just love to rag on whichever airline favours their city less than the competition.

isaidso Nov 27, 2017 4:16 PM

Newark is fine unless your destination is Manhattan. It's a further trek than JFK or LaGuardia.

DrNest Nov 27, 2017 5:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by isaidso (Post 7998696)
Newark is fine unless your destination is Manhattan. It's a further trek than JFK or LaGuardia.

But if you're on your own, it's quicker and easier by train between Newark and Manhattan than JFK.

Newark is a pain to connect through, as it's a bunch of spoke terminals that all have separate security. So unless by chance your connecting flight is also from one of the gates in the same spoke, you have to exit and clear security again for the next spoke. It's a real pain, as all too often there's not enough agents on the security posts.

I've long found immigration much quicker and easier at Newark than JFK. La Guardia is just a complete dump, and brings a whole new meaning to the misery of flying. (Though to be fair to LGA it is undergoing a renovation project in the terminal, so may get better in a few years...)

casper Nov 28, 2017 7:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DrNest (Post 7998777)
But if you're on your own, it's quicker and easier by train between Newark and Manhattan than JFK.

Newark is a pain to connect through, as it's a bunch of spoke terminals that all have separate security. So unless by chance your connecting flight is also from one of the gates in the same spoke, you have to exit and clear security again for the next spoke. It's a real pain, as all too often there's not enough agents on the security posts.

I've long found immigration much quicker and easier at Newark than JFK. La Guardia is just a complete dump, and brings a whole new meaning to the misery of flying. (Though to be fair to LGA it is undergoing a renovation project in the terminal, so may get better in a few years...)

Bingo.... Key problem with Newark relative to other airports. United runs shuttle bus between some of the terminals. Still painful to transfer.

JFK and La Guardia have the same problem, but because most people are transferring within the same airline and the airlines usually don't go across multiple terminals it is generally easier.

The root cause to all this is in the US many of these airport were designed in a time before complex security and most shops and amenities were pre-security since security was not as a big an issue. These older US airport suffer from physical layout problems dating back to the business model that existed when the building was built. Canadian airports generally have less issues in this way.

p_xavier Nov 28, 2017 7:06 PM

New low cost airline LEVEL will start Orly to Montréal next Summer.

Quote:

LEVEL LAUNCHES FOUR ROUTES FROM PARIS ORLY WITH FARES FROM €99

International Airlines Group will launch flights to Montreal*, New York, Guadeloupe and Martinique from Paris Orly from July 2018 via LEVEL its low cost longhaul airline brand.
Fares start from €99** one way and tickets go on sale today at flylevel.com.
LEVEL will base two Airbus A330-200 aircraft at Orly, each with 293 economy and 21 premium economy seats.

Checked luggage (plus a free cabin bag), meals, seat selection and the latest movie releases will be complimentary for customers flying in premium economy. Those travelling in economy can chose what they want to buy based on a menu of choices. Next generation inflight technology will be available for all customers with a wide range of onboard entertainment options. There is also super-high speed internet connectivity with prices starting at €8.99.

Customers can also earn and redeem Avios, IAG airlines’ loyalty currency, giving them the opportunity to fly to 380 destinations across the Group’s network.

LEVEL’s Paris flights will be operated by staff who currently work for IAG’s French airline OpenSkies which is based at the airport. The OpenSkies brand will cease to operate at the end of next summer and all its staff will operate LEVEL flights.

Willie Walsh, IAG’s chief executive, said: “LEVEL’s Barcelona operation has been an incredible success. Customers love it and LEVEL will be profitable this year. Barcelona was always a first step and today we’re delighted to launch flights from our second European city with four exciting new routes from Paris.

“Like Barcelona, Orly is a Vueling hub which means that customers will be able to fly there from other parts of Europe to connect onto LEVEL. We will also benefit from the local experience and knowledge of the OpenSkies team”.

Flights from Orly to New York will continue to operate under the OpenSkies brand until the end of summer 2018 and are available at www.ba.com/openskies
In Barcelona, LEVEL will launch a new route to Boston on March 28, 2018. Flights will operate up to three times each week for the summer season. A third A330-200 aircraft will be added to the Barcelona fleet later in the summer providing the opportunity to expand its network further.

LEVEL flies currently from Barcelona to Buenos Aires, San Francisco (Oakland) and Punta Cana with a summer service to Los Angeles. Flights are available at flylevel.com
Ends
November 28, 2017                                                                                                  IAG14
Notes to Editors:
(*) Subject to the consent of the Canadian Transport Agency.
(**) Lead-in fares from Paris Orly to Montreal, Guadeloupe and Martinique start at €99 one-way and to New York (Newark) start at €129 one way.

Flights to Montreal start on July 2, 2018 and operate three times per week.
Flights to Guadeloupe start on July 3, 2018 and operate four times per week.
Flights to Martinique start on September 3, 2018 and operate three times per week.
Flights to New York (Newark) start on September 4, 2018 and operate four times per week.

thenoflyzone Nov 28, 2017 10:05 PM

Iberia from ORY to YUL. Who would have thought.

They will be the 5th carrier between the two cities, with the weakest frequency and brand recognition. That won't help them make a profit. Can't see this lasting.

Long haul low cost has yet to prove itself. We don't even know if Norwegian long haul on a stand alone basis makes a profit. They report their earnings with that of Norwegian Air Shuttle and their other ventures, and the whole operation is profitable, but the long haul operations probably are not.

hollywoodcory Nov 28, 2017 11:17 PM

https://paxnews.com/news/airline/aa-...s-ups-capacity

American Airlines is increasing service to Canada, including two new routes: YVR-ORD and YYC-ORD.


All times are GMT. The time now is 2:25 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.