SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   City Compilations (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=87)
-   -   SAN DIEGO | Boom Rundown, Vol. 2 (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=126473)

Derek Mar 19, 2010 3:42 PM

It doesn't look suburban to me at all. :shrug:

dl3000 Mar 19, 2010 4:18 PM

There isn't much density. I agree with spoonman, it looks like the same density as the Qualcomm Complex in Sorrento Valley with less parking lots and more park. Perhaps all the proposals coming from the east coast assumes that even downtown is somewhat suburban. They probably know very little about what San Diego is all about short of the romanticized beach town with awesome weather and some census data. It's not like they took a field trip out here to see East Village.

I remember being in an airport planning class, the team that chose San Diego recommended fucking North Island...silly, and that was in Berkeley so SD is a little closer to be more familiar.

Crackertastik Mar 19, 2010 6:05 PM

i like how the UPenn idea is to expand student housing for the city college. Im not sure they understand what the SDCC is. It's like providing a ton of housing for LACC. Each of the 4 ideas were dull and lacked any sort of WOW factor or new ideas.

I'd like to see a project of that size in San Diego try new ideas. I read one recently about market centered projects. An urban anchor market as the center of the development.

At least TRY something new. These plans were dull, and lacked diversity.

mongoXZ Mar 23, 2010 12:58 AM

Trolley may head to La Jolla

http://www.signonsandiego.com/weblog...head-la-jolla/
STEVE SCHMIDT
MONDAY, MARCH 22, 2010

As my colleague Nathan Scharn reported over the weekend, regional planners are laying the financial groundwork for extending the San Diego Trolley from Old Town to UCSD and University Towne Centre.

The San Diego Association of Governments and the Metropolitan Transit System have been kicking around the idea for years. In a recent report, SANDAG staffers pegged the cost of the 11-mile project at $1.2 billion. They are hoping to secure at least half the money from the feds, with much of the rest coming from TransNet, an existing half-cent sales tax.

The agency is looking at three possible routes, as outlined here (check out agenda item #8).

HurricaneHugo Mar 23, 2010 4:33 AM

Yeah, now that I'm about to graduate. :hell:

voice of reason Mar 23, 2010 5:18 AM

thanks for the memories

Graduating from college, I remember it well. I was a protesting, hippie, radical student.
When I got my first paycheck from my first real job, I remember being shocked and saying,
'why is all this fucking money being taken from my check?'

Now you get a real job and pay for my fucking health care, its my right to have it and I might ride the trolley to La Jolla once a year so pay for that too.
I am retired so pay up chump.

Derek Mar 23, 2010 5:56 AM

Why not extend it to Hillcrest and North Park first? You know, places where it would actually be used.

kpexpress Mar 23, 2010 6:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Derek (Post 4760432)
Why not extend it to Hillcrest and North Park first? You know, places where it would actually be used.

I've always hoped that we could build an independent system serving Hillcrest, North Park, South Park, and Golden Hill. Like a street car system or something

Derek Mar 23, 2010 7:01 AM

That would work too. Too bad it makes too much sense...

IconRPCV Mar 23, 2010 3:16 PM

I have always imagined the trolley going up the 163 from the Smart Corner station in downtown through the park on to the Fashion Valley mall and up to the Mesas would be a great idea. People would use it to hop between uptown and downtown, tourists would love it too.

IconRPCV Mar 23, 2010 3:18 PM

On another note, does anyone know what is being built at the corner of 8th and Market?

tdavis Mar 23, 2010 4:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IconRPCV (Post 4760874)
On another note, does anyone know what is being built at the corner of 8th and Market?

Soil removal, then back to a parking lot.

kpexpress Mar 26, 2010 6:43 AM

8th and Market I believe is owned by Oliver McMullin, from what I've heard the tower that they want to build there will be bigger than The Mark.

staplesla Mar 26, 2010 6:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kpexpress (Post 4766469)
8th and Market I believe is owned by Oliver McMullin, from what I've heard the tower that they want to build there will be bigger than The Mark.

If you are referring to the old parking lot on the south side of Market between 7th and 8th, it is soil remediation, then returning back to a parking lot. There are no plans for a building at this time.

http://www.ccdc.com/events/resources...20%283%291.pdf

bmfarley Mar 29, 2010 4:10 AM

Proposed Hotel Tower recieves CCDC Design Review approval:
http://www.ccdc.com/events/resources...a%20Tower3.pdf See pages 31-38 for renderings.

kpexpress Mar 29, 2010 4:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bmfarley (Post 4770347)
Proposed Hotel Tower recieves CCDC Design Review approval:
http://www.ccdc.com/events/resources...a%20Tower3.pdf See pages 31-38 for renderings.

Yeah we approved this project last month at CCAC.

HurricaneHugo Mar 29, 2010 8:02 AM

Well, they all can't be 40 story towers!

eburress Mar 29, 2010 4:55 PM

Awwww - what a cute little tower! :)

SDfan Apr 1, 2010 6:28 PM

Excellent filler. And it would be nice to see another Hyatt downtown.

staplesla Apr 2, 2010 4:58 AM

City, County May Join Forces To Build New Chargers Home

The city of San Diego and San Diego County are on the verge of joining forces in an effort to build a new downtown stadium for the San Diego Chargers.

The possible stadium would be built about four blocks from Petco Park, and now a plan is in the works to get the project done using some tax dollars but not at the expense of public safety and basic city services.

Well aware of the political battle over the building of Petco Park, several elected officials have moved cautiously in whatever might be done about a new stadium for the Chargers. Just a few months ago, a consultant was hired to explore what worked in other cities and to see what would be best for San Diego. Officials found the key word to be cooperation.

The idea of building a new Chargers home next door to where the San Diego Padres play has several benefits, and sources told 10News the city and county have been working closely behind the scenes to make it happen. The infrastructure has already been upgraded and redevelopment money makes it attractive for outside investors and to neighboring governments.

"We look at the Chargers as a regional asset. Most of the fanbase comes from outside of the city of San Diego, so we would hope other agencies, particularly the county of San Diego, would be part of the process and will be partners with us," said Darren Pudgil, spokesman for San Diego Mayor Jerry Sanders.

"Is the county working with you?" asked 10News' Steve Fiorina.

"Certainly open to it, yes," said Pudgil.

The financing package is still to be ironed out, but it would not include any money from the city's general fund, 10News learned.

"We are focusing on redevelopment dollars. We wouldn't use any general fund dollars that would take away from police, fire, libraries or the park & recreation programs," said Pudgil.

It is an exciting prospect for the Centre City Development Corporation, as it looks at how well earlier projects of this nature paid off.

Derek Danziger of the CCDC said, "Horton Plaza in the mid-1980s was a huge success story as a public-private partnership. Not only did it bring shopping and retail back downtown, but it stimulated the entire growth of the Gaslamp Quarter and the residential community within Marina District. You move to 2004, Petco Park. We had $311 million of assessed value expected. It's now $2 billion worth of development that's happened around there, with another $2 billion in the pipeline, completely transforming the entire neighborhood … really looking forward to what a stadium could mean to the East Village neighborhood."

CCDC would run out of money in the mid 2020s, but is also taking steps to increase its spending cap which would make things easier.

The Chargers, the city, county or CCDC have not committed to this proposed plan, observers believe the stars appear to be aligning.

http://www.10news.com/news/23031113/detail.html