SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Canada (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Canadian Airport Thread (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=153826)

LO 044 Dec 1, 2021 5:28 AM

Can anyone out there explain to me how this new testing requirement will work for international travel?

If my return flight is CUN-YYZ-YEG or CUN-YVR-YEG, will i have to quarantine (until i get the results back) in YYZ or YVR? Or can I continue to YEG and quarantine at home. If the answer is the former then WS and AC can kiss my money goodbye.

hollywoodcory Dec 1, 2021 4:25 PM

WS has loaded YYC-LHR starting March 26, 2022 at 4x weekly.

WS18 YYC 20:30 - 12:00+1 LHR 789 2356
WS19 LHR 14:10 - 16:02 YYC 789 3467

YYC-LGW currently still remains scheduled once daily.

Calfan12 Dec 1, 2021 5:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hollywoodcory (Post 9465127)
WS has loaded YYC-LHR starting March 26, 2022 at 4x weekly.

WS18 YYC 20:30 - 12:00+1 LHR 789 2356
WS19 LHR 14:10 - 16:02 YYC 789 3467

YYC-LGW currently still remains scheduled once daily.

Great!

Actually WestJet’s Facebook page mentions Calgary-London Gatwick (LGW) operating up to 4x weekly too like London Heathrow (LHR).

Though some changes are still possible. Will see as it gets closer.

hollywoodcory Dec 1, 2021 5:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Calfan12 (Post 9465169)
Great!

Actually WestJet’s Facebook page mentions Calgary-London Gatwick (LGW) operating up to 4x weekly too like London Heathrow (LHR).

Though some changes are still possible. Will see as it gets closer.

Where does it say this?

Quote:

Beginning in March 2022, we’ll have two options to get you from Calgary to London, England with the introduction of our non-stop route from YYC Calgary International Airport to London’s Heathrow Airport (LHR) on our 787 Dreamliner.
In addition to flights to Gatwick, this new route will operate four-times weekly, bringing you closer to London’s city center: https://ms.spr.ly/6180kI9kr
No where does it mention a change to LGW (yet).

Nicko999 Dec 2, 2021 3:53 AM

So I was driving someone to the airport today. It's the first time I've been to YUL since the start of the pandemic. Everything is still so quiet compared to 2019. So few cars vs what we know.

I will fly late December so we will see how busy is it inside then.

magee_b Dec 2, 2021 7:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LO 044 (Post 9464854)
Can anyone out there explain to me how this new testing requirement will work for international travel?

If my return flight is CUN-YYZ-YEG or CUN-YVR-YEG, will i have to quarantine (until i get the results back) in YYZ or YVR? Or can I continue to YEG and quarantine at home. If the answer is the former then WS and AC can kiss my money goodbye.

The latest official info is available here - https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid

Lots of different case scenarios, so you have to select the scenario that fits your situation.

The only "new" requirements are for those originating in Botswana, Egypt, Eswatini, Lesotho, Malawi, Mozambique, Namibia, Nigeria, South Africa, or Zimbabwe

In general though, all air travellers on international flights to Canada need a PCR CoVID test prior to boarding their flight to Canada.

Quote:

If you qualify as a fully vaccinated traveller you are:

Required to show a pre-entry molecular test
Required to use ArriveCAN
Required to take an arrival test if selected
Exempt from quarantine
Exempt from Day-8 testing

If you are selected for a mandatory randomized arrival test, you:

Must take the arrival test as directed on the day you enter Canada. The test may be administered at the airport or you may receive a self-swab kit to complete within 24 hours of entering Canada
Don't have to wait for the results, you can travel on to your final destination, including taking connecting flights
Don’t have to quarantine while waiting for your results
Are not required to pay a fee for the arrival test
https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/tr...ntering-canada

LO 044 Dec 3, 2021 2:21 AM

^This site is not fully updated unless Justin changed his mind again. Then again every time the Transport minister opens his mouth, he says "I dunno things are changing every day" as well so it's a team effort.

Exemptions for fully vaccinated travellers

1. Required to show a pre-entry molecular test
2. Required to use ArriveCAN
3. Required to take an arrival test if selected
4. Exempt from quarantine
5. Exempt from Day-8 testing

That third point is incorrect. The government is saying that everyone will need to take a test upon arrival and WAIT for their results before leaving the airport, connecting, getting a Tim's coffee.

You should either take a test prior to arriving in Canada or once you arrive but not both!

magee_b Dec 3, 2021 6:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LO 044 (Post 9467131)
^This site is not fully updated unless Justin changed his mind again. Then again every time the Transport minister opens his mouth, he says "I dunno things are changing every day" as well so it's a team effort.

Exemptions for fully vaccinated travellers

1. Required to show a pre-entry molecular test
2. Required to use ArriveCAN
3. Required to take an arrival test if selected
4. Exempt from quarantine
5. Exempt from Day-8 testing

That third point is incorrect. The government is saying that everyone will need to take a test upon arrival and WAIT for their results before leaving the airport, connecting, getting a Tim's coffee.

You should either take a test prior to arriving in Canada or once you arrive but not both!

It's currently correct as no policy has actually changed... There clearly have been discussions about changes, but nothing has actually changed on the arrival testing point.

So I guess you're just going to have to wait and see because like it or not "things are changing every day".

JakeLRS Dec 3, 2021 2:35 PM

Sooo this is random.

Flairs 32nd destination will be to Deer Lake (YFD). I had to google where that is, and it’s in Newfoundland…

They’ll offer YKF-YFD 2x weekly next summer.

kwoldtimer Dec 3, 2021 3:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JakeLRS (Post 9467348)
Sooo this is random.

Flairs 32nd destination will be to Deer Lake (YFD). I had to google where that is, and it’s in Newfoundland…

Random indeed. :shrug:

thewave46 Dec 3, 2021 3:30 PM

Quote:

Sooo this is random.

The rub:

Canadian ULCC airlines start scraping the bottom of potential destinations quite quickly.

There's the obvious:

a) Domestic flights between larger centres in summer
b) Sun flights in winter
c) Europe in the summer (if you've the airplane for it)

Other than that, slim pickings abound.

I'm not sure Deer Lake will be the ticket for Flair. However, they still exist despite my assumption that they would have folded by now. Would I buy a ticket for travel beyond the next couple of weeks? No.

CivicBlues Dec 3, 2021 5:34 PM

Quote:

Sooo this is random.

Deer Lake is the closest Airport to Gros Morne National Park. I know cause I was looking into going there for a holiday recently.

Dominion301 Dec 3, 2021 7:06 PM

Quote:

Sooo this is random.

Tiny correction: Deer Lake is YDF.

That’s off-the-board to say the least. Going to YDF before YYT is rather bizarre.

jamincan Dec 3, 2021 7:14 PM

It effectively services Corner Brook. Perhaps they will connect to sun destinations out of Kitchener?

hehehe Dec 4, 2021 2:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dominion301 (Post 9467722)
Tiny correction: Deer Lake is YDF.

That’s off-the-board to say the least. Going to YDF before YYT is rather bizarre.

A lot of their new routes don't seem particularly sustainable or profitable...

thenoflyzone Dec 4, 2021 2:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by magee_b (Post 9467234)
It's currently correct as no policy has actually changed... There clearly have been discussions about changes, but nothing has actually changed on the arrival testing point.

So I guess you're just going to have to wait and see because like it or not "things are changing every day".

Latest update. The new testing requirement is already rolling out at airports across the country. I highlighted in bold the important stuff.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/arr...iner-1.6272919

Quote:

Once a fully vaccinated passenger arrives at a Canadian airport from a non-U.S. foreign destination, they will either be swabbed by a public health nurse or get a take-home test.

That traveller must then self-isolate at home or at their designated quarantine destination (such as a hotel) while they await the results of the test. It may take up to three days to get a result.

If that traveller gets a negative result, they're free to leave self-isolation and move about as they normally would. If the test is positive, they must stay in quarantine for 14 days.

If a passenger has a connecting flight, they get swabbed or collect a take-home test and then continue on to their final destination.

If, for example, an inbound passenger from Hong Kong arrives in Vancouver to catch a connecting flight to Kelowna, B.C., that traveller would get tested or pick up their at-home test in Vancouver before proceeding to the connecting flight. That passenger would then have to self-isolate in Kelowna while they await the results of the test.

Travellers who are given a take-home test self-administer the test while on a video link with a nurse from a private company, such as Dynacare, LifeLabs or Switch Health, to make sure it is done right. The specimen is then sent via courier to a laboratory. The instructions are included in the testing kit handed out at the airport.

The federal government is covering all of the costs associated with arrival testing.

LO 044 Dec 4, 2021 11:12 PM

This is the most important part of the clarified rules "If a passenger has a connecting flight, they get swabbed or collect a take-home test and then continue on to their final destination." Obviously the cost would have been a factor but I don't think making the passenger pay for the test was ever on the table. The government's already making the pre-departure test redundant.

The way I look at it is look at an insurance company. They are the most risk averse industry around. If you are vaccinated, no additional add-on insurance is required. If you are unvaccinated the insurance company feels that the risk is high enough that you will be hospitalized abroad that you need to pay a premium for them to take care of you. I still don't understand the logic of the pre-test. I thought now you can't travel if you are unvaccinated so everyone on your flight should be vaccinated so the risk of anyone needing hospitalization on the actual flight after arriving to Canada is slim to none.

Now if you take the test at home after you arrive you can isolate, notify anyone has been on the plane, watch for symptoms and life continues on. The government talks about "science" based decisions but "logic" isn't part of that equation for the Canadian system. Hopefully the travel industry can survive this.

Hali87 Dec 4, 2021 11:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kwoldtimer (Post 9467382)
Random indeed. :shrug:

A bit, although Deer Lake seems to be a disproportionately busy airport (normally there are several daily flights from YHZ on multiple airlines). I think part of the "extra" demand is due to people commuting between NL/AB for work, and another factor is nearby Marble Mountain which is the largest ski resort on the East Coast by a wide margin. Due to NL's geography YYT doesn't seem like a very convenient location for most people in NL outside of the Avalon so it makes sense that flights are spread out between a few different airports in different parts of the province. (although tbh I didn't know where Deer Lake was for the longest time either, I'd assumed it was in Labrador)

casper Dec 5, 2021 4:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thenoflyzone (Post 9468070)
Latest update. The new testing requirement is already rolling out at airports across the country. I highlighted in bold the important stuff.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/arr...iner-1.6272919

Looks like CBC is reporting a special Exemption has been created for Canadians to return home. If I’m Sputh Africa there are specific Lufthansa flight to Frankfurt.that will accept Canadian heading home. At Frankfurt they have to connect immediately onto a Lufthansa or Air
Canada flight. Pre departure testing has to be done at certain labs in South Africa.

Dominion301 Dec 5, 2021 11:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hali87 (Post 9468503)
A bit, although Deer Lake seems to be a disproportionately busy airport (normally there are several daily flights from YHZ on multiple airlines). I think part of the "extra" demand is due to people commuting between NL/AB for work, and another factor is nearby Marble Mountain which is the largest ski resort on the East Coast by a wide margin. Due to NL's geography YYT doesn't seem like a very convenient location for most people in NL outside of the Avalon so it makes sense that flights are spread out between a few different airports in different parts of the province. (although tbh I didn't know where Deer Lake was for the longest time either, I'd assumed it was in Labrador)

Pre-pandemic it was pulling in 350k annual pax. Apparently the NL government is supporting the route. You’d think though Ottawa-Deer Lake would make more sense than Kitchener, unless they think they can attract people from Hamilton, Niagara, London and Toronto itself bypassing YYZ-YDF flights for a cheaper flight? Time will tell whether or not this works.