SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Canada (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Speech pattern and typographical variations across Canada (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=209368)

Stingray2004 May 8, 2016 3:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MonctonRad (Post 7434890)

The only exception to this might be Campobello Island, which is essentially an exclave, and is only accessible from the mainland by two ferry rides (with Deer Island in the middle), and in the winter time is only accessible by a one hour drive through Maine and a trip across the international bridge at Lubec.

By any measure (FDR included), Campobello should belong to the USA, but I'm glad it's Canadian. It's a delightful island.........

Kinda reminds me of a reverse situation here in my neck of the woods. Attached to the southern Metro Vancouver suburb of Tsawwassen (where I used to reside) is Point Roberts, WA - isolated from the rest of the mainland U.S. on a peninsula.

Point Roberts, WA has about 1,100 full-time residents and I know quite a few that are dual U.S./Canuck citizens that reside there. Also know a few that have picked up a few Americanisms while residing there, over the years, such as saying "ruf" for the word "roof".

BTW, I oft see Whatcom County, WA sheriff's patrol vehicles traverse local Canadian highways to head to mainland U.S.A and vice versa - along with school buses.

As an aside, apparently ~1/20 full-time Point Roberts residents are also part of the U.S. Marshal's Witness Protection Program.

Point Bob is a nice, quiet rural area with secluded beaches and I also enjoy horse-back riding there as well. Def a unique area that should belong to Canada but am kinda glad that it doesn't.

http://www.citylab.com/design/2012/0...shington/1265/

Andy6 May 8, 2016 5:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MonctonRad (Post 7434890)
Cross border ties are dwindling here too (especially with the new border restrictions since 9/11), so I expect the down east accent in Charlotte County will gradually wither away, to be replaced by "standard Canadian".

The only exception to this might be Campobello Island, which is essentially an exclave, and is only accessible from the mainland by two ferry rides (with Deer Island in the middle), and in the winter time is only accessible by a one hour drive through Maine and a trip across the international bridge at Lubec.

By any measure (FDR included), Campobello should belong to the USA, but I'm glad it's Canadian. It's a delightful island.........

There are large (summertime) exclave areas around Sault Ste. Marie as well, where wealthy U.S. families from the Midwest have had their summer homes for generations. There is one area that was bought up 100 years ago by people from Highland Park, Illinois (a wealthy Chicago suburb) and which even has a Frank Lloyd Wright cottage in it. The American cottage areas are generally completely separate from those owned by the local Canadians.

Campobello seems like an interesting place - one of our few victories in the border "wars".

MonctonRad May 8, 2016 5:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andy6 (Post 7434981)
Campobello seems like an interesting place - one of our few victories in the border "wars".

The legend is that at the time they were deciding the boundary (after the Revolutionary War), the Brits and the new US government agreed to float a buoy of some kind down the St. Croix River, and to let the natural water flow decide the international boundary.

Unfortunately for the Americans, the natural currents flowed near the US mainland thus all the offshore islands in Passamaquoddy Bay ended up belonging to Canada. Further out in the Bay of Fundy proper, Grand Manan also belongs to Canada, despite being physically closer to the US.

The Americans however seem to have drawn the line at Machias Seal Island, steadfastly claiming ownership, despite the fact that Canada has maintained a lighthouse and life saving station on the island since the mid 19th century. Every so often, Maine fishermen will fish for lobster (illegally) around the island and thumb their noses at Canadian authorities. Also, they have been known to make unannounced visits to the island in order to piss on the shoreline.

Curiously, the last permanently manned lighthouse in Canada is located on Machias Seal Island. Gee, I wonder why....... :haha:

kwoldtimer May 8, 2016 7:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MonctonRad (Post 7435011)
The legend is that at the time they were deciding the boundary (after the Revolutionary War), the Brits and the new US government agreed to float a buoy of some kind down the St. Croix River, and to let the natural water flow decide the international boundary.

Unfortunately for the Americans, the natural currents flowed near the US mainland thus all the offshore islands in Passamaquoddy Bay ended up belonging to Canada. Further out in the Bay of Fundy proper, Grand Manan also belongs to Canada, despite being physically closer to the US.

The Americans however seem to have drawn the line at Machias Seal Island, steadfastly claiming ownership, despite the fact that Canada has maintained a lighthouse and life saving station on the island since the mid 19th century. Every so often, Maine fishermen will fish for lobster (illegally) around the island and thumb their noses at Canadian authorities. Also, they have been known to make unannounced visits to the island in order to piss on the shoreline.

Curiously, the last permanently manned lighthouse in Canada is located on Machias Seal Island. Gee, I wonder why....... :haha:

Is the accent on Grand Manan similarly influenced by Maine? I'd love to visit the place some day.

Re Machias Seal Island, if I recall correctly there's a family in Maine that claim it not only as U.S. territory but as their private property. I recall that the old man used to sail out every year and the lighthouse keeper would make a point of being on hand to welcome him politely to Canada!

Acajack May 9, 2016 1:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lio45 (Post 7434290)
Do you guys consider "lil' shits" to be a standard semi-affectionate descriptor for turbulent kids?

I had never heard that previously... Our upstairs tenants in Lévis have two elementary school aged boys, who are generally pretty adorable, and lately my gf texted me that we'd have to put a lock on her shed (which didn't lock) because the lil shits went in there and messed with her stuff.

I thought she was pretty angry with them (in my mind, I had read that as "the little pieces of shit did XYZ") but apparently it's not that bad in terms of meaning.

Since then of course it's become a running gag between us... for example, since our tenants have stuff that's theirs in the shed, I was asked to explain to them that we had added a lock (I'm pretty much always the official translator) so of course I reported to my gf that I had informed them she had complained about their "little piece of shit kids" going in there, etc.

I'm just wondering if it's widespread, or just very regional... and as a non-native speaker, I'm surprised that there's apparently a pretty major difference between calling someone a lil' shit and calling someone a piece of shit.

l'il shits = p'tits crisses

:haha:

Acajack May 9, 2016 1:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lio45 (Post 7434636)

I have never met anyone from there, and I've also never been to either Newfoundland or PMS, though I'd love to visit these places.

PMS

:haha:

Acajack May 9, 2016 1:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kwoldtimer (Post 7434619)
If there were such a thing as the perfect example of the Canadian English accent, who would exemplify it? I'm thinking it would be someone of British heritage, old money, probably coming out of UCC or LCC and educated at least in part at UofT or McGill.

Could it be Conrad Black? :uhh:

I wonder if any descendants of the Eaton family still live in Canada and, if so, what they sound like? Or perhaps a Southam or a Molson?

John Ralston Saul?

Peter Mansbridge?

Stephen Harper?

Acajack May 9, 2016 1:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stingray2004 (Post 7434617)
Curious... do any Québécois here detect an accent from those residing on Saint Pierre et Miquelon? If so, is it more of a mainland France accent... or somewhere in between mainland France/Québec?

I've met a couple people from there. I've also seen news reports and videos with people from SPM.

From what I gather the accent is very predominantly France French, with some traces of the North American French spoken by Acadiens, Québécois, etc.

Which shows very clearly the impact of administrative divisions and authorities on accents.

If they'd been made part of Canada way back when like the rest of us, today they'd have accents much more similar to ours.

MonctonRad May 9, 2016 1:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andy6 (Post 7434981)

Campobello is very interesting. Even though it's Canadian, it almost feels American. The only "land" connection is via the international bridge to Lubec ME, people talk like Mainers, the terrain and vegetation is different than the Canadian mainland and the Franklin Delano Roosevelt "cottage" is there. This is where he contracted polio. It's an international peace park now, and when you go visit the park, there are US Rangers there acting as interpretive guides. Seeing these rangers wandering around the park in their uniforms really makes you question if you are in Canada or not........

kwoldtimer May 9, 2016 1:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Acajack (Post 7435463)
John Ralston Saul?

Peter Mansbridge?

Stephen Harper?

I considered the first two, but dismissed Mansbridge because, as good as he sounds, I suspect he was directly influenced by the British English of his parents. If the model were "newsanchor", I'd go with Lisa LaFlamme.

Harper? No problem, but very middle class. I was thinking more in terms of the Anglo elite.

By the way, I also listened to an dismissed Robertson Davies - the most British sounding born in Canada Canadian I can imagine, although he certainly could carry it off! Same with Christopher Plummer - very elegant, but not really "Canadian" when he opens his mouth.

Acajack May 9, 2016 1:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kwoldtimer (Post 7435482)
I considered the first two, but dismissed Mansbridge because, as good as he sounds, I suspect he was directly influenced by the British English of his parents. If the model were "newsanchor", I'd go with Lisa LaFlamme.

Harper? No problem, but very middle class. I was thinking more in terms of the Anglo elite.

By the way, I also listened to an dismissed Robertson Davies - the most British sounding born in Canada Canadian I can imagine, although he certainly could carry it off! Same with Christopher Plummer - very elegant, but not really "Canadian" when he opens his mouth.

Lloyd Robertson?

Loco101 May 10, 2016 5:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Acajack (Post 7435465)
I've met a couple people from there. I've also seen news reports and videos with people from SPM.

From what I gather the accent is very predominantly France French, with some traces of the North American French spoken by Acadiens, Québécois, etc.

Which shows very clearly the impact of administrative divisions and authorities on accents.

If they'd been made part of Canada way back when like the rest of us, today they'd have accents much more similar to ours.

Some of my family members have been there. I unfortunately ran out of time on my NL vacations but did see the islands in the distance from the Burin peninsula.

I asked about accent and was told that it depends who you speak with. There are some who moved there from France so their accents are obvious. But for those who were raised there, they have a mix of French (France) and Acadian/Quebec accent. They do a lot of shopping and travel in Newfoundland so there are heavy Canadian (including Newfoundland) influences for terminology and lingo. The people there also travel a lot throughout Atlantic Canada and Quebec and have regular communication with the people there.

I went on YouTube and it seems as though what I wrote is correct but maybe others should check it out as well.

Acajack May 10, 2016 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Loco101 (Post 7436461)
Some of my family members have been there. I unfortunately ran out of time on my NL vacations but did see the islands in the distance from the Burin peninsula.

I asked about accent and was told that it depends who you speak with. There are some who moved there from France so their accents are obvious. But for those who were raised there, they have a mix of French (France) and Acadian/Quebec accent. They do a lot of shopping and travel in Newfoundland so there are heavy Canadian (including Newfoundland) influences for terminology and lingo. The people there also travel a lot throughout Atlantic Canada and Quebec and have regular communication with the people there.

I went on YouTube and it seems as though what I wrote is correct but maybe others should check it out as well.

This video has been posted here before. It features SPM people from all walks of life. It's definitely more like northern France than Acadia or Quebec.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2CA1AjcbH_8

SignalHillHiker May 10, 2016 1:08 PM

They definitely consider their accent to be better than Quebec's - whether it actually is all that different I wouldn't know. I assume they understand Quebec French quite well. Lots of Canadiens games on TV there.

Acajack May 10, 2016 1:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker (Post 7436586)
They definitely consider their accent to be better than Quebec's - whether it actually is all that different I wouldn't know.

Oh I don't doubt for a minute that they think their accent is better.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker (Post 7436586)
I assume they understand Quebec French quite well. Lots of Canadiens games on TV there.

Anyone with a native speaker's command of any type of French can understand Quebec French if they've been exposed to it to a reasonable degree. (And even if they haven't been exposed to it much, if the speaker isn't a person with low education or "slumming it".)

lio45 May 10, 2016 10:46 PM

I heard Rachel Notley speak for the first time (on the news) and she seemed to have a generic North American Anglo accent. For those of you with a finer ear, could she pass as a native Torontonian or not? Would she have been immediately identified as a Westerner or, even more narrowed down, a Prairisian? Or more precisely even, an Albertan?

Acajack May 11, 2016 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lio45 (Post 7437361)
I heard Rachel Notley speak for the first time (on the news) and she seemed to have a generic North American Anglo accent. For those of you with a finer ear, could she pass as a native Torontonian or not? Would she have been immediately identified as a Westerner or, even more narrowed down, a Prairisian? Or more precisely even, an Albertan?

Prairisian :haha:

esquire May 11, 2016 2:25 PM

To my ear there is nothing that gives Rachel Notley away as Albertan. She could plausibly be from anywhere west of Montreal.

If I didn't know where she was from, I'd certainly believe that she could be from Toronto.

Acajack May 11, 2016 2:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by esquire (Post 7437776)
To my ear there is nothing that gives Rachel Notley away as Albertan. She could plausibly be from anywhere west of Montreal.

If I didn't know where she was from, I'd certainly believe that she could be from Toronto.

I'd say the same thing about Rachel Notley, but then again I am used to and even expect most Anglo-Canadians to sound highly similar regardless of region (with only a few exceptions).

esquire May 11, 2016 2:43 PM

^ Atlantic Canada is a bit of an anglo accent wonderland with various distinct sounds (French-tinged Acadian, the standard Nova Scotia English, the turbocharged Cape Breton accent, urban Newfoundlander and the one that might as well be Gaelic, outport Newfoundlander).

But yeah, west of Quebec it's almost impossible for me to pick out accents. I can identify the Southern Ontario/Niagara Peninsula vaguely American sounding accent you sometimes hear (e.g. "I'm from around Hemmmilton"... "think you"), and if someone has an ethnic sounding accent that helps to place them. But by and large I find it hard to distinguish and I'm skeptical of anyone who claims they can, for example, tell a Saskatoon vs. a Kamloops native by how they sound.