SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Transportation (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   CHICAGO: ORD & MDW discussion (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=87889)

nomarandlee Feb 8, 2021 2:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by k1052 (Post 9184313)
T5 expansion is progressing even though there are basically no pics of it from the construction side of things. If more people were flying we'd have more updates. I think interior build out permits were issued a few weeks ago.

That is good progress then. I'm pretty sure there is long-range plans to include a roadside pickup/drop ramp and curb along with the new expansion but I wonder just what the timeline on that is. That is a long walk from the main entrance at T5 all the way east to the new extension.

....Also first time I've given a really good look at that render but it looks like they plan to use all glass jetways and even all glass line-up areas for the jumbos in the new extension. That should make a nice first impression for those arriving from overseas to Chicago for the first time. A little thing to make a first good impression if they follow the render.

k1052 Feb 8, 2021 3:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nomarandlee (Post 9184345)
That is good progress then. I'm pretty sure there is long-range plans to include a roadside pickup/drop ramp and curb along with the new expansion but I wonder just what the timeline on that is. That is a long walk from the main entrance at T5 all the way east to the new extension.

Not sure about that. All I'm aware of is that existing slate of improvements. Adding a new landslide facility to hook into this would be pretty pricy.

Quote:

...Also first time I've given a really good look at that render but it looks like they plan to use all glass jetways and even all glass line-up areas for the jumbos in the new extension. That should make a nice first impression for those arriving from overseas to Chicago for the first time. A little thing to make a first good impression if they follow the render.
Fingers crossed they didn't just do steel when they saw the cost.

ardecila Feb 9, 2021 5:16 PM

Glass jetways were prohibited until 2013 by fire code (NFPA 415 for the nerds like me). It wasn't necessarily a cost issue keeping them out of American airports.

Supposedly the cost is not significantly more than traditional steel designs, Wichita only found a 1.5% cost premium for glass:
https://www.bizjournals.com/wichita/...tways-for.html

k1052 Feb 10, 2021 2:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ardecila (Post 9185585)
Glass jetways were prohibited until 2013 by fire code (NFPA 415 for the nerds like me). It wasn't necessarily a cost issue keeping them out of American airports.

Supposedly the cost is not significantly more than traditional steel designs, Wichita only found a 1.5% cost premium for glass:
https://www.bizjournals.com/wichita/...tways-for.html

Interesting, I'd previously read the bump was quite a bit more.

ardecila Feb 12, 2021 8:05 PM

YMMV of course, that number seems suspiciously low but it looks like the cost premium is not huge in any case. Apparently jetways have a lot of the same market dynamics as train rolling stock with Buy America requirements, a Chinese lowball competitor, etc.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.pol...rt-jets-320491

nomarandlee Feb 15, 2021 4:31 AM

Surprised this hasn't been posted yet. If this actually comes to fruition this would likely cut into a decent market portion of any future premium express train from downtown to O'hare. Would be interesting to see these suckers zooming overhead along the Kennedy corridor.
Quote:

https://abc7chicago.com/united-airli...ions/10329910/

United Airlines buying electric flying taxis that could take travelers from downtown Chicago to O'Hare
Thursday, February 11, 2021 8:13AM

Flying to the airport? United Airlines said it wants to purchase 200 electric air taxis that could take flyers from downtown Chicago to O'Hare.

CHICAGO -- United Airlines said Wednesday it will buy up to 200 small electric air taxis to help customers in urban areas get to the airport.

The airline said it will help electric-aircraft startup Archer develop an aircraft capable of helicopter-style, vertical takeoffs and landings. Archer hopes to deliver its first aircraft in 2024, if it wins certification from the Federal Aviation Administration.

....Archer's aircraft are designed to fly under battery power for up to 60 miles at speeds of up to 150 mph......

the urban politician Feb 15, 2021 3:47 PM

^ Lets not kid ourselves, a premier express train to OHare just ain't gonna happen.

Things like the above are clearly going to become more common and a preferred option for a lot of travelers

electricron Feb 15, 2021 9:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the urban politician (Post 9191311)
^ Lets not kid ourselves, a premier express train to OHare just ain't gonna happen.

Things like the above are clearly going to become more common and a preferred option for a lot of travelers

At least United Airlines is not calling the small electric powered helicopter a flying car.
Neve-the-less, how do they plan to fly small helicopters within O'Hare no fly flight paths frequently enough to make the business profitable. Is that air space not too busy already with long range commercial flights?:???:

Chi-Sky21 Feb 22, 2021 4:24 PM

Interesting info on why some airports only have people movers instead of direct public transportation links.

https://www.vice.com/en/article/z3v5...Z9VcNHPir0-Duw

SIGSEGV Feb 22, 2021 5:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by electricron (Post 9191523)
At least United Airlines is not calling the small electric powered helicopter a flying car.
Neve-the-less, how do they plan to fly small helicopters within O'Hare no fly flight paths frequently enough to make the business profitable. Is that air space not too busy already with long range commercial flights?:???:

Probably for corporate...

ardecila Feb 22, 2021 7:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the urban politician (Post 9191311)

It is (more or less) in Metra's long range plan to offer express service every 15 minutes to O'Hare using existing tracks similar to Toronto's air rail link. There's a few capital projects they need to complete first, mainly the A-2 interlocking project. A-2's been kicking around for a long time but I'm more optimistic now that Sterling Bay is pushing for it, it would include a new station at Ogden.

nomarandlee Feb 22, 2021 7:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ardecila (Post 9197804)
It is (more or less) in Metra's long range plan to offer express service every 15 minutes to O'Hare using existing tracks similar to Toronto's air rail link. There's a few capital projects they need to complete first, mainly the A-2 interlocking project. A-2's been kicking around for a long time but I'm more optimistic now that Sterling Bay is pushing for it, it would include a new station at Ogden.

I wonder if the idea for the Ogden stop would be to build a station connecting the Union Station lines AND the UP-West Line in one integrated station. I can't imagine the idea would be to serve only the Union Station lines and not the UP-West lines within the same complex. This station would shave off a good 5mins or more of a trip, a huge savings every day. Hard to imagine it wouldn't be a success.

ardecila Feb 23, 2021 5:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nomarandlee (Post 9197835)
I wonder if the idea for the Ogden stop would be to build a station connecting the Union Station lines AND the UP-West Line in one integrated station. I can't imagine the idea would be to serve only the Union Station lines and not the UP-West lines within the same complex. This station would shave off a good 5mins or more of a trip, a huge savings every day. Hard to imagine it wouldn't be a success.

the claim is that it would serve all 4 lines. That likely means two separate sets of platforms. Metra also wants to grade separate A2 here (not at the existing location out by Western) but that means each line will be on a grade, which complicates plans for a station.

At any rate this is probably years off but hopefully with the goal of 15 minute Metra service to OHare + a new Fulton Market station they can lock in the parameters for the project and start the process of begging for money.

jonesrmj Mar 4, 2021 1:46 PM

O'Hare Terminal 5 Expansion

Here's an image I stumbled across online that someone took around 2 months ago when departing O'Hare of the Terminal 5 Expansion. Anybody know when this will be completed, and/or have any recent pictures of the expansion?

https://instagram.flwo4-1.fna.fbcdn....3b&oe=606A31C3

sentinel Mar 7, 2021 11:56 PM

I'm not working on it, but my company is part of the design team for the main, Terminal 2 expansion and all of that associated work; I asked a colleague who is working on the project about time frame, and he said the City would like to issue final bid drawings this fall. Our firm started working on preliminary design drawings with the greater team in July of 2019, I believe, but given how massive the O'hare's expansion project is, 2+ years to create fully developed construction drawings is..about right..

Chicagoguy Mar 16, 2021 7:50 PM

New 'smart windows' used by Netflix and Google are coming to O'Hare Airport

It seems like new "smart windows" using AI will be installed in the ORD Terminal 5 expansion. :cool:

https://www.bizjournals.com/chicago/...e-airport.html

N830MH Mar 17, 2021 4:53 AM

Serial stowaway got arrested again. She is at it again! She was not supposed to be there. This time she went to O'Hare airport today. She didn't listen to the judges. I am big pissed with her again!

https://chicago.cbslocal.com/2021/03...wUD6yxsbZoOIIw

Busy Bee Mar 17, 2021 5:29 AM

That lady is amazing. We should all just be glad she's not sneaking into the pilots seat.

Chicago29 Mar 17, 2021 2:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sentinel (Post 9210305)
I'm not working on it, but my company is part of the design team for the main, Terminal 2 expansion and all of that associated work; I asked a colleague who is working on the project about time frame, and he said the City would like to issue final bid drawings this fall. Our firm started working on preliminary design drawings with the greater team in July of 2019, I believe, but given how massive the O'hare's expansion project is, 2+ years to create fully developed construction drawings is..about right..

That timeline would make sense for the ORD21 site to update. It hasn't been touched since Studio ORD was chosen as the prime for the global terminal T2 expansion. There's been no detailed updates regarding the delayed ATS, the pedestrian tunnel upgrades, or as mentioned here current work at T5. You would think the major players of the city and O'Hare would want to promote the progress that is being made.

Also unrelated but does anyone have any thoughts about how O'Hare might look whenever the mythical 'western terminal' is built? It's predicated with completion of the Tollway's EOWA project which will connect 390 to the 90 and 294 via the new 490 beltway. That construction should all be done in 5-6 years and the terminal will sit just east of where Thorndale now intersects with York road. The Tollway has a drawing of all their ramps at that future 390 interchange and it labels a projected west terminal in that drawing too.

There would appear to be less impediment to build a connection from a western terminal to the main airport since 14R/32L is now gone. But how exactly would a connection be built? A long people mover to the far west satellite terminal at T1 or the global terminal? Extension of the ATS over or under T1 to the west terminal? O'Hare's layout just isn't easily conducive for easily identifiable connection.

ardecila Mar 17, 2021 2:56 PM

Western access requires an underground people mover, but based on the phasing of new terminals I don't think they will add a people mover until the 2nd satellite terminal opens, which might not be until the mid 2030s.

T2 is landside and the 1st satellite will be directly connected to T1's remote concourse. You don't really need the people mover until the 2nd satellite comes online. At that point I imagine they would just continue digging the tunnel to the west and build a small, temporary check-in facility (pickup/dropoffs only, no checked bags). Basically just a few electronic kiosks for each airline and then a security screening.