SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Alberta & British Columbia (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=127)
-   -   BC Highway Construction (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=187593)

bulliver Jul 20, 2015 8:46 PM

^ I just drove from Edmonton to Terrace and back this past week. Construction not that bad at all, a bit in JNP, and adding a couple passing lanes just west of PG. Delays very minor.

Airboy Jul 20, 2015 9:48 PM

I've got a decent one coming up in early sept.

From YEG up to highway 43 to Grande Prairie to catch the start of the Tour of Alberta. Then down either 40 or 734 to Jasper and Myette Hot Springs to catch the first ever mountain stage. Another day in Jasper to watch the Marmot stage then down the Icefield Parkway to TCH and drive into Kelowna. A few days there head up to Harrison Hot Springs then into Van for a few days. I ride my bike up the S2S highway to Whistler then drive back to YEG on the Yellowhead.

So I should be able to check all the upgrades this trip.

craner Jul 21, 2015 7:52 PM

^Wow - that's an awesome trip!
How long are you gone for?
Looking forward to your report(s)

Airboy Jul 21, 2015 8:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by craner (Post 7102823)
^Wow - that's an awesome trip!
How long are you gone for?
Looking forward to your report(s)

2 weeks total a bit of riding and a bit of watching and a whole lot of wine drinking. Some friends and I are going to ride portions of the mountain stages of the Tour of Alberta before the pros come through. Be interesting to check Strava Times after and see how much slower I am.

My best riding time from Vancouver to Whistler is 5:20:00. Hope to take an hour off this years time.

Daguy Jul 24, 2015 9:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Metro-One (Post 7086777)
Cool, thank you for that graphic.

I dont understand why they build a mix of interchanges and at grade intersections. I am happy that they are building interchanges at all, but really this entire section from Monte Creek to Salmon Arm should have been a single project at full freeway standards.

I agree and disagree at the same time. It would be nicer as a freeway, but the protected T intersection in phase I of Monte Creek to Pritchard makes sense because that turn-off is rarely used. Before I moved back to Kamloops from Salmon Arm, I drove past twice every 2 weeks and very rarely saw anyone turning there. Better to complete as much 4-laning of the highway as possible first with interchanges at key intersections. I'm just happy all the current segments being built have a median barrier.

Stingray2004 Jul 26, 2015 3:44 AM

After a few decades of mish-mash 4-laning along Hwy 1 between Kamloops and the AB border, looks like a practical push is now on to 4-lane east of Kamloops continuously:

1. Pritchard to Hoffman's Bluff - 6.1 km - $62 million (under construction)

2. Hoffman's Bluff to Chase Creek Road -5 km - $47.5 million (just announced)

3. Chase Creek Road to Chase West - 2.5 km - $47 million (just announced)

BTW, on a per km basis, those are very expensive construction costs for rural 4-laning. Suspect due to terrain issues, etc.

Finally. And I mean finally. The McKenzie Rd./Hwy 1 interchange near Victoria has also been announced with funding attached at $80 million.

Metro-One Jul 26, 2015 4:34 AM

Hmm, I will have to check these out, hope they have some details on the provincial website.

You can make an argument about the protected T intersections in the rural stretches, they do work, but there should be no traffic lights along any of the updated sections.

Either protected-T, or interchange.

That being said, I really hope one day soon the 4 or 5 traffic lights on the eastern side of Kamloops are converted to 2 or so interchanges with frontage roads.

Stingray2004 Jul 26, 2015 6:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Metro-One (Post 7107732)
I really hope one day soon the 4 or 5 traffic lights on the eastern side of Kamloops are converted to 2 or so interchanges with frontage roads.

That section was constructed circa mid-late 1970`s. In any event, 15 years ago back in 2000, BC MoTI held local Kamloops stakeholder meetings in order to discuss upgrade options, for that section of highway, to freeway standard.

2 options: upgrade existing online or develop bypass. All stakeholders agreed to the bypass option from just east of Peterson Creek Bridge, along Juniper Ridge, (with interchange at Highland Rd.) to Holman Rd along existing TCH-1. Known as the `Juniper Bypass`, here`s a schematic:ΒΈ

https://web.archive.org/web/20001101...er_juniper.gif

Back then projected cost was $100 million plus. No doubt much higher today. More importantly, the design and corridor are in place. Just need funding allocation. And, frankly, I wouldn`t mind other sections of Hwy 1 eastward receive 4-laning priority into the mid-term.

Canadian Mind Jul 27, 2015 1:38 AM

I don't like that bypass option only because it forces you away from all the normally priced fuel retailers and strongly encourages you to stop at the Flying J, which is always at least 5-10 cents overpriced.

I suppose the highway 5 connection would also be somewhat inconvenient.

Metro-One Jul 27, 2015 3:36 AM

So this is yet another pie in the sky by-pass option?

There is the Vernon bypass...

The Salmon Arm bypass...

The Peachland bypass...

Numerous Kelowna bypass ideas...

The Parksville bypass on the island...

Will any of these bypasses ever be built????

Peachland is the only one that has a shred of a chance with a reasonable near future IMO.

Daguy Jul 28, 2015 6:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Canadian Mind (Post 7108315)
I don't like that bypass option only because it forces you away from all the normally priced fuel retailers and strongly encourages you to stop at the Flying J, which is always at least 5-10 cents overpriced.

I suppose the highway 5 connection would also be somewhat inconvenient.

The rational for the bypass is that the interchanges can be designed for future 6-laning. Unless the rail can be moved underground (not ever) it's not an option on the current alignment.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stingray2004 (Post 7107712)
After a few decades of mish-mash 4-laning along Hwy 1 between Kamloops and the AB border, looks like a practical push is now on to 4-lane east of Kamloops continuously:

1. Pritchard to Hoffman's Bluff - 6.1 km - $62 million (under construction)

2. Hoffman's Bluff to Chase Creek Road -5 km - $47.5 million (just announced)

3. Chase Creek Road to Chase West - 2.5 km - $47 million (just announced)

BTW, on a per km basis, those are very expensive construction costs for rural 4-laning. Suspect due to terrain issues, etc.

Maybe Chase West will have an interchange? $47 mil seems like a lot for such a short segment. There is some rock that has to be cut back, but it's nothing like kicking horse.

Daguy Aug 2, 2015 7:35 PM

http://www.th.gov.bc.ca/highwayproje...0St/index.html

There are updates to the Salmon Arm West project, looks like they were posted in June. The page has a cool flyover model, and a couple of maps showing potential alignments. The PP presentation says construction should begin in 2016. If so, I really like the realignment and interchange concept for the salmon river bridge.

Northski Aug 5, 2015 12:32 AM

Drove the Transcanada from Golden to Lake Louise at about 9:30pm on the Monday of the long weekend. Long weekend traffic has got much worse over the last 5-10 years. Interesting phenomenon, the highway would get backup at all the passing lanes, drivers would try to pass but the merge slowed everything down. Ended up driving at 15km/hr at all the passing lanes, clear sailing on all the single lane sections.

Stingray2004 Aug 5, 2015 6:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daguy (Post 7116101)
http://www.th.gov.bc.ca/highwayproje...0St/index.html

There are updates to the Salmon Arm West project, looks like they were posted in June. The page has a cool flyover model, and a couple of maps showing potential alignments. The PP presentation says construction should begin in 2016. If so, I really like the realignment and interchange concept for the salmon river bridge.

Hey. Thanks for that. Was aware of the Salmon Arm improvements but never considered them more than some urban improvements. Obviously a bit more than that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JqPG...ature=youtu.be

craner Aug 9, 2015 4:39 PM

^And concrete center medians - yayy!

urbancanadian Aug 10, 2015 4:03 AM

Thanks for all the updates, guys. I've been following all the highway developments around the province and it's nice to get so much info, especially from you, Stingray2004!

I noticed this press release the other day. Does anyone know what exactly this is? https://news.gov.bc.ca/releases/2015TRAN0096-001237

It mentions 4-laning a section 40km east of Revelstoke. They are also planning on upgrading the Illecillewaet brake check, but I have no idea where that is... Canyon Hot Springs, maybe?

craner Aug 10, 2015 7:27 AM

^Seems like a lot of hoopla for only 2.5 kms of highway (re: the link)
I guess every little bit helps.

Metro-One Aug 19, 2015 7:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stingray2004 (Post 7118587)
Hey. Thanks for that. Was aware of the Salmon Arm improvements but never considered them more than some urban improvements. Obviously a bit more than that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JqPG...ature=youtu.be

Yeah, it is more than I was expecting, but too bad right after the interchange there is a traffic light intersection...

Mike K. Sep 13, 2015 10:29 PM

Does anyone have any leads on the proposed design of the TCH/McKenzie/Admirals interchange planned for Saanich in Victoria?

Metro-One Sep 14, 2015 12:36 AM

I was hoping when I saw your post that you had found them, haha.