SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Alberta & British Columbia (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=127)
-   -   BC Highway Construction (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=187593)

Canadian Mind May 2, 2015 5:34 PM

SOSS, if the Yellowhead north and the #1 east were built to the same standard all the way to their respective major cities (Edmonton and Calgary) it'd be the same travel time. It would reduce travel time from Vancouver to Edmonton by 2.5 hours. I'd argue the Yellowhead would be easier to build up because it is comparatively flat and open all the way from Kamloops to Valemount.

Kev, that's unfortunate. I think it would be neat to be able to drive the old #1 all the way from Horseshoe Bay to the AB border.

SOSS May 2, 2015 6:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Canadian Mind (Post 7012573)
SOSS, if the Yellowhead north and the #1 east were built to the same standard all the way to their respective major cities (Edmonton and Calgary) it'd be the same travel time. It would reduce travel time from Vancouver to Edmonton by 2.5 hours. I'd argue the Yellowhead would be easier to build up because it is comparatively flat and open all the way from Kamloops to Valemount.

Kev, that's unfortunate. I think it would be neat to be able to drive the old #1 all the way from Horseshoe Bay to the AB border.

My last post was a bit confusing. Yes, the Yellowhead makes sense to upgrade (after Hwy 1 IMO). The old Hwy 23 as a Hwy 1 alternative does not make sense.

Yes, I would like to see Hwy 1, 3, 5/16, 97 all upgraded to full freeway standard. But in the reality we live in with limited resources focus the upgrading on Hwy 1 (for best access to rest of Canada) and Hwy 97 (for best access to resource rich northern BC). Continue to do minor upgrades to rest where appropriate especially for safety improvements.

Canadian Mind May 2, 2015 10:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SOSS (Post 7012607)
My last post was a bit confusing. Yes, the Yellowhead makes sense to upgrade (after Hwy 1 IMO). The old Hwy 23 as a Hwy 1 alternative does not make sense.

Yes, I would like to see Hwy 1, 3, 5/16, 97 all upgraded to full freeway standard. But in the reality we live in with limited resources focus the upgrading on Hwy 1 (for best access to rest of Canada) and Hwy 97 (for best access to resource rich northern BC). Continue to do minor upgrades to rest where appropriate especially for safety improvements.

Yes, unfortunately we do have to prioritise. It's a shame that it's taking so long to finish highway 1.

I wasn't proposing highway 23 as an alternate. It was the old routing of highway 1. If the route is still passible, I'd like to drive it for the sake of driving it.

SOSS May 3, 2015 12:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Canadian Mind (Post 7012788)
Yes, unfortunately we do have to prioritise. It's a shame that it's taking so long to finish highway 1.

I wasn't proposing highway 23 as an alternate. It was the old routing of highway 1. If the route is still passible, I'd like to drive it for the sake of driving it.

Yeah, that would be neat to drive.

WRT Hwy 1 upgrading, I do think that many of the hardest parts (which of course are the most expensive) are already done. Sure the final phase (or is it now two phases) of Kicking Horse Canyon will be a billion bucks, but look at the rest. Many bridges have been replaced and upgraded to freeway standards. Outside of KHC, I suspect the next most expensive per km of road would be the snow sheds of Rogers Pass. Also that nasty turn just near the summit.

splashflash May 3, 2015 2:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SOSS (Post 7012859)
Yeah, that would be neat to drive.

WRT Hwy 1 upgrading, I do think that many of the hardest parts (which of course are the most expensive) are already done. Sure the final phase (or is it now two phases) of Kicking Horse Canyon will be a billion bucks, but look at the rest. Many bridges have been replaced and upgraded to freeway standards. Outside of KHC, I suspect the next most expensive per km of road would be the snow sheds of Rogers Pass. Also that nasty turn just near the summit.

See conversation on this thread several months ago.

Hwy 23 is a winding road to Mica Dam despite much being rebuilt when Columbia River flooded the Big Bend Highay (old highway along Columbia River). Too bad it wasn't punched through to Highway 5, which had been studied around 1990.

Canadian Mind May 3, 2015 3:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by splashflash (Post 7012945)

Hwy 23 is a winding road to Mica Dam despite much being rebuilt when Columbia River flooded the Big Bend Highay (old highway along Columbia River). Too bad it wasn't punched through to Highway 5, which had been studied around 1990.

Splash, do you have a link to the study?

red-paladin May 4, 2015 1:33 AM

From: https://news.gov.bc.ca/stories/opini...y-improvements

Quote:

OPINION-EDITORIAL: B.C. on the Move advances Trans-Canada Highway improvements

Transportation Wednesday, April 29, 2015 4:58 PM
By Todd Stone
Minister of Transportation and Infrastructure

KAMLOOPS - The Province's new 10-year transportation plan, B.C. on the Move, prioritizes investments in our transportation network, and highlights our commitment to continued improvements to Highway 1 between Kamloops and the Alberta border.

The Trans-Canada Highway is B.C.'s primary southern east-west corridor. The section between Kamloops and the Alberta border is over 400 kilometres long, and winds through some of the most challenging terrain in Canada. It is an essential corridor for trade and travel, used by as many as 12,000 vehicles each day, and accounting for the movement of $2 billion dollars in trade per year.

Since 2001, the provincial and federal governments have invested approximately $700 million in improvements between Kamloops and the Alberta border. As part of this investment, the Province has widened 45 kilometres of Highway 1 to four lanes and has replaced or installed 11 new structures.

Work is currently underway to widen more sections of Highway 1 to improve safety and capacity. Construction is in full swing on two major Highway 1 improvement projects between Monte Creek and Hoffman's Bluff east of Kamloops. Another phase of this work will start this spring, to widen another three kilometres of Highway 1 from two to four lanes through Hoffman's Bluff itself.

In addition, work is underway east of Sicamous to replace the Malakwa Bridge and widen three kilometres of highway to four lanes.

As detailed in our recently launched 10-year transportation plan, B.C. on the Move, and building on the provincial commitment to invest $650 million over the next 10 years towards four-laning Highway 1 from Kamloops to the Alberta border, the Province will work with Canada to leverage federal funding for priority projects. It is the Province's goal to increase investment on this corridor to over $1 billion with partners over the next 10 years.

With federal and provincial contributions to date, 22 of the 26 kilometres through the Kicking Horse Canyon, east of Golden, have been widened to four lanes, dramatically improving safety and capacity of this section of the Trans-Canada. To complete the remaining four kilometres, an investment of up to $650 million is needed. The Province continues to pursue a federal partnership through the National Infrastructure Component of the Building Canada Fund to enable completion of this project.

Other Highway 1 improvement projects prioritized through B.C. on the Move include Hoffman's Bluff to Jade Mountain, Donald East, Illecillewaet and Salmon Arm West. Planning and design work is underway on each of these projects.

Through B.C. on the Move, we are making other investments in the safety and reliability of Highway 1. As part of our $25-million-per-year Roadside Safety program, we'll be piloting a variable speed zone between Malakwa and Revelstoke, and investing in guardrails in key locations along the corridor.

Because Highway 1 traverses some of the province's most challenging avalanche terrain, the Province is also committing to pursue new technologies and other improvements to reduce the number and duration of highway closures during periods of high avalanche hazard. The ministry will also work towards this goal with local government and incident responders, including the police and BC Coroners Service.

Improving the Trans-Canada Highway between Kamloops and the Alberta border to make it safer and more efficient for all travellers is critical to attract new investment and support economic growth in British Columbia.

Through B.C. on the Move, the Government of B.C. will continue to four-lane and implement safety improvements on the Trans-Canada, and work with Canada to leverage available funding to build on our partnership successes to date.
See also the page for the Trans-Canada upgrades: http://www.th.gov.bc.ca/highwayprojects/bchwy1/

splashflash May 4, 2015 1:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Canadian Mind (Post 7013022)
Splash, do you have a link to the study?

Sorry, no. That is just from memory.

240glt May 19, 2015 6:47 PM

Edmonton to Interlakes district just east of Lone Butte on Saturday via 16/5/24

No major construction projects on the go, passing lane addition just south if Blue River complete.

Traffic non-existent. You usually saw convoy after convoy of atco trailers, heavy machinery and chinese steel headed for the patch. Barely saw anything like that this trip.

Very busy up up here in the Cariboo though. Gal at the Interlakes store said it's the busiest May long she's ever seen. The European travellers have arrived early

Unfortunately the Iron Horse pub remains closed :(

dmuzika May 26, 2015 6:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by splashflash (Post 7012945)

It would be an interesting drive to take Hwy 23 to Hwy 5, I'm wondering if the route would be widely used? Provided the existing Hwy 23 doesn’t require significant upgrades, maybe tourist traffic could use it as a Edmonton/Northern Alberta – Okanagan/West Kootenay connector?

Oliver Klozov May 27, 2015 10:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmuzika (Post 7039727)
It would be an interesting drive to take Hwy 23 to Hwy 5, I'm wondering if the route would be widely used?

Interesting - Yes for me but there's nothing there really other than the dam and the lake.

Widely used - Very unlikely. For anybody currently using 5 to Kamloops and 97 to the Okanagan would continue using that - a lot less time and there's services. Northern Alberta to West Kootenays - just can't see that much demand.

And there would be no commercial traffic.

You might have a slightly better case if you tried to justify building a road from Valemount to Donald but not much.

What I would see as more probable would be a rail line from the CP at Beavermouth to the CN at Valemount with CP getting trackage rights on CN to Prince Rupert but still that's a low probability in the near future. You could also build a connection from the BNSF at Eureka, Montana to the CP near Jaffray, BC and give BNSF haulage rights from there to Prince Rupert as well.

dmuzika May 29, 2015 4:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oliver Klozov (Post 7041585)
Interesting - Yes for me but there's nothing there really other than the dam and the lake.

Widely used - Very unlikely. For anybody currently using 5 to Kamloops and 97 to the Okanagan would continue using that - a lot less time and there's services. Northern Alberta to West Kootenays - just can't see that much demand.

And there would be no commercial traffic.

You might have a slightly better case if you tried to justify building a road from Valemount to Donald but not much.

What I would see as more probable would be a rail line from the CP at Beavermouth to the CN at Valemount with CP getting trackage rights on CN to Prince Rupert but still that's a low probability in the near future. You could also build a connection from the BNSF at Eureka, Montana to the CP near Jaffray, BC and give BNSF haulage rights from there to Prince Rupert as well.

Even then, I wonder if there would be the demand. Currently the CN option is to go through Edmonton and use the Yellowhead Pass.

On the same line of thinking as extending Hwy 23 to Hwy 5, I’ve wondered if there would be the appetite or demand to extend Hwy 9 from Harrison Hot Springs to Hwy 99 near Pemberton?

bulliver May 30, 2015 12:36 AM

Unsure if mentioned: the Alaska Highway is getting straightened out and widened at Taylor Hill just south of Ft St John. Won't be nearly as fun anymore ha ha...

http://www.newsroom.gov.bc.ca/2013/0...ylor-hill.html

nname May 30, 2015 1:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmuzika (Post 7043730)
On the same line of thinking as extending Hwy 23 to Hwy 5, I’ve wondered if there would be the appetite or demand to extend Hwy 9 from Harrison Hot Springs to Hwy 99 near Pemberton?

Something like this?

nname Jul 6, 2015 9:31 PM

Seems like the Turtle Valley alignment of Hwy 1 is officially dead:

RFQ 7007 Highway 1 Squilax Four-Laning and Interchange

The purpose of this Request for Qualifications (RFQ) is to short-list three (3) Qualified Respondents for full proposal submissions in response to a Request for Proposals (RFP) for the Highway 1 Squilax to Little River Road Four-Laning Project. The Province's intent is to establish a consulting services contract with the successful proponent.

This section of Highway 1 is located between Chase and Sorrento, in the vicinity of the Squilax Bridge, approximately LKI 2077 km 36.6-41.6.

The Project involves four-laning approximately 5 km of Highway 1, introduction of a grade separate facility (interchange) to replace the existing Squilax-Anglemont Protected-T intersection, realignment of side roads, upgrading the two Little River Road intersections, and the introduction of frontage roads to facilitate access management.

Metro-One Jul 6, 2015 11:04 PM

This is good news, always nice to hear an interchange will be used, will this connect to the other 4 lane projects to the west finished / u/c?

nname Jul 6, 2015 11:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Metro-One (Post 7086706)
This is good news, always nice to hear an interchange will be used, will this connect to the other 4 lane projects to the west finished / u/c?

No, its right in the middle of current 4-lanes section. So with this new segment, any possibility of new alignment are gone beside maybe a bypass around Chase and Sorrento.

Here is a map for the area:

Green line - completed; Blue line - under construction; Red line - this segment
Green point - grade separation/interchange; Red point - major at-grade intersection

Minor access roads are omitted.

http://i60.tinypic.com/23w71x5.jpg

Metro-One Jul 7, 2015 12:12 AM

Cool, thank you for that graphic.

I dont understand why they build a mix of interchanges and at grade intersections. I am happy that they are building interchanges at all, but really this entire section from Monte Creek to Salmon Arm should have been a single project at full freeway standards.

Stingray2004 Jul 7, 2015 5:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nname (Post 7086604)
Seems like the Turtle Valley alignment of Hwy 1 is officially dead:

Didn't realize anyone on here was even familiar with the "Turtle Valley" alignment. :) Part of BC MoTI's studies of a new "straight-line" corridor for Hwy 1, from roughly east of Pritchard to roughly west of Salmon Arm IIRC. From back in ~ the 1990's.

Would have shaved off considerable driving time on a new freeway-standard highway. Also would have preferred same myself.

Problem is that the existing corridor relies upon tourist and other rubber-tire traffic as part of its economic base. A Turtle Valley corridor would likely have resulted in diminished activity thereto. IOW, both economic and political problems.

Already knew Turtle Valley was off the table with previous 4-laning sections west of Salmon Arm as well as the now hugely expensive Hoffman's Bluff section east of Pritchard (and away from proposed Turtle Valley corridor).

In any event, the Turtle Valley corridor is desolated but will always remain as future potential alternate corridor - perhaps 50+ years from now.

240glt Jul 20, 2015 8:05 PM

Another big road trip coming up.. Edmonton to Smithers via 16 for my best friends' 40th, then back to PG and south on 97 for a stop in Barkerville. From there another quick hop down to Bridge Lake via 97 & 24, then down to Nelson via 23 & 6. Few days in Paradise down there then up to Vernon via 6/33, then back up to the cabin at Bridge lake via 97/5, then home to Edmonton

Gee.. Do us think We'll run into any construction :p