SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Development (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=86)
-   -   CHICAGO | General Developments (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=105764)

VivaLFuego Aug 26, 2009 9:01 PM

Notice is up for a zoning request to establish a parking lot at the SE corner of Randolph & Desplaines. The site is currently a private parking lot, so I'm assuming this is just to make it a public lot.

For once I'm agnostic on it. Whatever. There are some very nice buildings farther east on the block that ideally will some day see landmarking or other protection, so I'm fine if development takes it's time on this site to get it right. It's not like this represents a developer throwing in the towel and going for surface parking instead (a la 560 Fairbanks).

spyguy Aug 27, 2009 4:56 AM

http://www.chicagotribune.com/busine...6398584.column

Loyola University Chicago's business school's growth is a wake-up call for Northwestern and University of Chicago
August 27, 2009
Greg Burns

The construction site awaits at State and Pearson Streets in one of Chicago's toniest neighborhoods. The plans have been drawn, the rendering posted on the university Web site and roughly $11 million raised so far.

A little more capital, a few major donors and Loyola University Chicago's Graduate School of Business will be breaking ground on a new building that more than doubles its size.
http://img128.imageshack.us/img128/8...6626194942.jpg

denizen467 Aug 27, 2009 5:06 AM

^ Are there more images - does anyone have the link to the school's page that Tribune says has renderings?

Also, curious if there are any very well known billionaire alums out there (who might donate big and therefore get their names on the building)?

ardecila Aug 27, 2009 5:47 AM

http://www.luc.edu/values/campus/vt_watertower.swf

Zoom in and click on the building marked "Mail Room/Copy Center". The thumbnails show the new building.

the urban politician Aug 27, 2009 11:58 AM

^ Nothing special.

Of course, I'm assuming it's just replacing a vacant lot? If so, it's a huge improvement

aic4ever Aug 27, 2009 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the urban politician (Post 4426994)
^ Nothing special.

Of course, I'm assuming it's just replacing a vacant lot? If so, it's a huge improvement

I question your taste. Looks like a very exciting building to me in terms of its interior spaces, along with what it's doing for the block.

the urban politician Aug 27, 2009 3:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aic4ever (Post 4427022)
I question your taste. Looks like a very exciting building to me in terms of its interior spaces, along with what it's doing for the block.

^ Question my taste all you want, but it looks like this thing will replace an historic 5 story building: http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sour...cbp=12,50,,0,5

With parking lots abounding everywhere in River North, I'm not really sure what you think this building will "do for the block" that the existing building on the site doesn't already accomplish. Come to think of it, it appears that this building basically just replaces the footprint of the existing building on the site and doesn't even occupy the spaces of the other, shorter buildings next door.

Thumbs down on another lost historic building in River North, only to be replaced by something barely any taller.

wrab Aug 27, 2009 3:39 PM

^ You are one block too far South- the intersection is State & Chestnut. Streetview here:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=4...78.68,,0,13.43

Nowhereman1280 Aug 27, 2009 3:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by denizen467 (Post 4426732)
Also, curious if there are any very well known billionaire alums out there (who might donate big and therefore get their names on the building)?

There are no billionaire alums from LUC. There are, however, many multimillionaires who will probably donate. For example, the CEO and founder of Morningstar is a Loyola Alum and the CFO of Wal-Mart is as well, these guys have got cash and may have donated already.

Quote:

Originally Posted by the urban politician (Post 4426994)
^ Nothing special.

Its not a vacant lot. Its got two decent historic buildings on it (nothing too spectacular) that will be lost. There is one absolutely hideous and abandoned 70's era building. Then about half the lot is vacant. This will probably be developed in conjunction with an adjacent residential highrise on the vacant (northern) half that Loyola hopes to use to offset the costs of the classrooms and hopefully provide a parking garage.

Quote:

Originally Posted by aic4ever (Post 4427022)

If its anything like the IC, it should be a very interesting building. TUP, check out the Loyola Information Commons to get an idea of what this building will be like (but on a much larger scale).

VivaLFuego Aug 27, 2009 3:59 PM

So this would replace the surface lot, bookstore, and Sally Beauty Supply? If so, great. I hope it means the building on the NE corner of State/Pearson is surviving, but that one has been in the crosshairs for a while (along with all but one of the buildings along the north side of Pearson there too, right?) so I imagine it's not long for this world regardless.

Also, the nice building on the NW corner of State/Chicago will likely eventually be toast - I've heard that tenants have been notified that this is the last year they can expect to have their leases renewed.

EDIT: Nowhereman, can you clarify the exact site footprint for this building? Are the beautiful Victorian rowhomes at 10 E. Pearson and 16 E. Pearson coming down? The 5-story mixed use corner building with the dive bar and barbershop in the first floor?

the urban politician Aug 27, 2009 4:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wrabbit (Post 4427239)
^ You are one block too far South- the intersection is State & Chestnut. Streetview here:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=4...=12,63.13,,0,5

^ The article Spyguy posted says State and Pearson, and if you look at the thumbnail renderings from Ardecila, check out the context--the new building appears to be replacing the 5 level historic building that I was talking about above. Take a second look.

I hope I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure about what I'm seeing.

schwerve Aug 27, 2009 4:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the urban politician (Post 4427300)
^ The article Spyguy posted says State and Pearson, and if you look at the thumbnail renderings from Ardecila, check out the context--the new building appears to be replacing the 5 level historic building that I was talking about above. Take a second look.

from what I can tell the building isn't replacing the 5 story building but the 1 story building to the north of it.

sammyg Aug 27, 2009 4:38 PM

The word "historic" gets thrown around a lot. What's notable about this building, other than the fact that it was built sometime from the 1890s-1930s? There are lots of old buildings in Humboldt Park, but nobody complains if one of those is torn down.

wrab Aug 27, 2009 5:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the urban politician (Post 4427300)

I'm going by the map on Loyola's own website, which Ardecila links to above and which pinpoints the precise location: http://www.luc.edu/values/campus/vt_watertower.swf This would be "No. 6" on the map, which places it almost directly across from Chestnut to the West, or half way between Chestnut & Pearson to the East (Chestnut moves half a block to the North at State as you are travelling East).

Again, the street view per Loyola's map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=4...78.68,,0,13.43
The historic five-story building that you mention (the one with Mike's on the ground floor) above does not appear to be part of this development.

Nowhereman1280 Aug 27, 2009 5:36 PM

^^^ Wrabbit that is incorrect. The southwest corner of the block is all coming down, see below.

Quote:

Originally Posted by VivaLFuego (Post 4427277)
EDIT: Nowhereman, can you clarify the exact site footprint for this building? Are the beautiful Victorian rowhomes at 10 E. Pearson and 16 E. Pearson coming down? The 5-story mixed use corner building with the dive bar and barbershop in the first floor?

Let me clear this up for you guys. As far as I've seen, the plan is for the entire western half of the block bounded by Wabash, Pearson, State, and Chestnut to be redeveloped. The new school of business building will take up the Southwest corner of that block mandating the tear down of the corner building/dive bar (good riddance that building is a complete shithole), the two victorian three flats to the east of there (unfortunate, but kinda necessary), and the the current nasty ass building that the beauty store occupies.

The northwest corner of the block is slated for a tallish residential building to be built by a private developer (offsetting Loyola's costs) that would also contain a few amenities for Loyola students. Some things the school wants in the tower include a decent amount of parking (seeing as how Loyola currently has only one small parking lot for faculty who commute to park in, something that is very important for a business and law school since rich lawyers and businessmen don't want to waste their time with public transit, don't yell at me guys, its true) and maybe some classrooms or student space in the bottom.

wrab Aug 27, 2009 5:44 PM

I'll have to defer to your insider's knowledge, because all I have to go by is the Loyola map. That map does show (placeholder?) shading on the far SE corner of the block (where Mike's is).

Busy Bee Aug 27, 2009 6:01 PM

Anyone want to make a prediction on what the auction selling price will be for the Old Post Office?

the urban politician Aug 27, 2009 6:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nowhereman1280 (Post 4427441)
^^^ Wrabbit that is incorrect. The southwest corner of the block is all coming down, see below.

Let me clear this up for you guys. As far as I've seen, the plan is for the entire western half of the block bounded by Wabash, Pearson, State, and Chestnut to be redeveloped. The new school of business building will take up the Southwest corner of that block mandating the tear down of the corner building/dive bar (good riddance that building is a complete shithole), the two victorian three flats to the east of there (unfortunate, but kinda necessary), and the the current nasty ass building that the beauty store occupies.

The northwest corner of the block is slated for a tallish residential building to be built by a private developer (offsetting Loyola's costs) that would also contain a few amenities for Loyola students. Some things the school wants in the tower include a decent amount of parking (seeing as how Loyola currently has only one small parking lot for faculty who commute to park in, something that is very important for a business and law school since rich lawyers and businessmen don't want to waste their time with public transit, don't yell at me guys, its true) and maybe some classrooms or student space in the bottom.

^ So getting back to my point, very little will be added to the cityscape when all is said and done and Loyola's project is completed

Nowhereman1280 Aug 27, 2009 7:14 PM

^^^ No, this building will be over twice as tall as anything thats currently there and half of the existing buildings that are there are vacant and/or one story. Also, 1/4 the block is parking lot, that whole lot will be built on by the highrise portion.

Quote:

Originally Posted by wrabbit (Post 4427454)
I'll have to defer to your insider's knowledge, because all I have to go by is the Loyola map. That map does show (placeholder?) shading on the far SE corner of the block (where Mike's is).

That map is at least 5 years old and number six is the currently vacant bookstore building which will also be torn down. The placeholder on the map is the corner building with the bar.

wrab Aug 27, 2009 7:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Busy Bee (Post 4427489)
Anyone want to make a prediction on what the auction selling price will be for the Old Post Office?

11.5 Mil, based on nothing whatsoever.