SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   St. John's (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=700)
-   -   [St. John's] Retail Thread (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=198935)

wardo44 Mar 12, 2015 1:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arrakis (Post 6945564)
I think it was suppose to have been 8 screens. I think.

The Cineplex purchase of Empire is about 18 months old now. I wonder if the Cineplex folks assessed at the entire market & the proposed retail in Galway & saw that as a more appropriate site for a new theatre. It becomes a solution for the closure/relocation of Mount Pearl Square & easier to capture patrons from young, higher growth areas of CBS & Paradise.

Arrakis Mar 12, 2015 1:56 PM

Funny, I was thinking the same thing. Kinda makes more sense economically to be in Galway than on Hebron Way. But who knows, they may not open there either.

Quote:

Originally Posted by wardo44 (Post 6947878)
The Cineplex purchase of Empire is about 18 months old now. I wonder if the Cineplex folks assessed at the entire market & the proposed retail in Galway & saw that as a more appropriate site for a new theatre. It becomes a solution for the closure/relocation of Mount Pearl Square & easier to capture patrons from young, higher growth areas of CBS & Paradise.

Stryker Mar 12, 2015 2:21 PM

They should put one downtown(something I'm obsessed with actually)

Even if it was a simple two screen or something I think it'd be a great alternative to getting drunk downtown.

goodgrowth Mar 12, 2015 2:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wardo44 (Post 6947878)

Yeah that would be a better plan. Keep Avalon Mall Cineplex open, close Mount Pearl Square Cineplex and open an new theatre in the Paradise area (Galway comes to mind). Because when you think about Mount Pearl, Paradise and CBS combined have a population of about 70,000 and I would say 2/3's of that are young families. It could definitely support a 8 studio theatre. I don't think a lot of people (especially families) even go to Mount Pearl Square because it is kinda old/no other amenities in that mall or around it anymore.

So instead of having to drive 20+25 minutes AND look for parking at the Avalon mall it would be more like 5-10 minutes tops with dedicated parking for people in that area. I think it would have to be put in a retail area though.

Malreynolds Mar 12, 2015 8:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by goodgrowth (Post 6947962)
Yeah that would be a better plan. Keep Avalon Mall Cineplex open, close Mount Pearl Square Cineplex and open an new theatre in the Paradise area (Galway comes to mind). Because when you think about Mount Pearl, Paradise and CBS combined have a population of about 70,000 and I would say 2/3's of that are young families. It could definitely support a 8 studio theatre. I don't think a lot of people (especially families) even go to Mount Pearl Square because it is kinda old/no other amenities in that mall or around it anymore.

So instead of having to drive 20+25 minutes AND look for parking at the Avalon mall it would be more like 5-10 minutes tops with dedicated parking for people in that area. I think it would have to be put in a retail area though.

if i remember it right i thought i heard danny say that they've had a dicussions with a theatre company for one in Dannyland

JP4R Mar 13, 2015 12:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by goodgrowth (Post 6947962)

Definitely. Mt Pearl Square has seen better days, and the west end suburban market would be perfect for a cinema.

IronMan Mar 14, 2015 5:48 PM

While there is a lot of talk about the CBS area, which is a great area to be in, I think we need to acknowledge that the east end (specifically the Stavanger Drive area) is definitely where it's at. This is the premiere shopping area, hands down, and I don't see this changing. Galway will be great I'm sure, but I doubt if it could be another Stavanger Drive - unless the Costco would relocate there! LOL

statbass Mar 27, 2015 11:51 AM

Ricki's, Bootlegger and Cleo Shutting Down Stores Across Country

Looks like there'll be more retail space opening up in the Avalon and Village malls as another Canadian retail company files for bankruptcy. It seems like retailers just can't compete with online competition.

VOCM News
March 27, 2015

Quote:

The company that owns Ricki's, Bootlegger and Cleo plans to close stores across Canada and cut jobs as part of a restructuring. On Thursday, Ontario-based Comark Inc. received creditor protection. The company didn't specify how many locations would be closed, but said all three outlets would be affected.

Three of the stores under Comark are located at the Avalon Mall and two stores are located at the Village.
http://www.vocm.com/newsarticle.asp?mn=2&ID=53625

SignalHillHiker Mar 27, 2015 1:16 PM

They just need better styles. That generic mainstream look Isn't enough for a lot of people anymore when they can get things with some real design online.

Malreynolds Mar 27, 2015 5:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by statbass (Post 6967020)
Looks like there'll be more retail space opening up in the Avalon and Village malls as another Canadian retail company files for bankruptcy. It seems like retailers just can't compete with online competition.

VOCM News
March 27, 2015

http://www.vocm.com/newsarticle.asp?mn=2&ID=53625

Wasn't it announced that they were moving stores outside the mall and smallers stores at that

J_Murphy Mar 28, 2015 12:57 PM

Future shop is the latest casualty. Stavanger store closed this morning.

Marty_Mcfly Mar 28, 2015 1:02 PM

^ouch, but not unexpected.

There's a sign up for a new store at 351 Water Street. I think the name was Souls or something?

statbass Mar 28, 2015 1:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J_Murphy (Post 6968484)
Future shop is the latest casualty. Stavanger store closed this morning.

Can confirm, just passed by and there's a sign outside stating they're permanently closed. Apparently Futureshops will all be rebranded as Best Buy. I highly doubt there will be 2 Best Buy locations on Stavanger. That'll be another big empty space there.

Malreynolds Mar 28, 2015 2:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by statbass (Post 6968508)
Can confirm, just passed by and there's a sign outside stating they're permanently closed. Apparently Futureshops will all be rebranded as Best Buy. I highly doubt there will be 2 Best Buy locations on Stavanger. That'll be another big empty space there.

Despite the mildish weather it was a cold welcome for the employees of Future Shop in St. John’s.

A sign on the door this morning says the store is permanently closed.

There is also word on social media that all Future Shop stores across Canada are closing immediately.

from the telegram

Arrakis Mar 28, 2015 3:17 PM

Big Box retail parks are imploding slowly. There may be hope yet for the enclosed shopping mall to make a comeback.

Arrakis Mar 28, 2015 3:20 PM

This was bound to happen sooner or later. All the things Future Shop sells have dropped of the retail market. CD sales have died, DVD sales are nose diving too or dead also, personal computer sales are dying because of tablets and mobile devices. Everyone that wants a big screen tv pretty much has one now. It's no wonder they are closing. Parent company Best Buy will probably be not far behind.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Malreynolds (Post 6968531)
Despite the mildish weather it was a cold welcome for the employees of Future Shop in St. John’s.

A sign on the door this morning says the store is permanently closed.

There is also word on social media that all Future Shop stores across Canada are closing immediately.

from the telegram

J_Murphy Mar 28, 2015 4:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arrakis (Post 6968598)
This was bound to happen sooner or later. All the things Future Shop sells have dropped of the retail market. CD sales have died, DVD sales are nose diving too or dead also, personal computer sales are dying because of tablets and mobile devices. Everyone that wants a big screen tv pretty much has one now. It's no wonder they are closing. Parent company Best Buy will probably be not far behind.

We still live in a very consumable world and nobody fixes things anymore. Throw away and buy a new one is part of our culture. Places still need to sell tablets and mobile devices, they are basically just replacing PCs and laptops for the most part. TVs will always sell and so will sound systems, appliances and all the accessories that come with them. I guess this is what happens when you saturate the market with places to buy these items. You can buy TVs at Dominion now for Gods sake. Places like Canadian Tire and Shoppers drug mart have even hopped on the electronics bandwagon. Combine this with e-commerce and something was bound to give.

Although I agree with what you said about CDs and DVDs, the profit margin probably wasn't very big on those items anyway compared to appliances and electronics.

Too bad they didn't have a liquidation event, I guess all that inventory will just go to Best Buy shelves.

Trevor3 Mar 28, 2015 4:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arrakis (Post 6968598)

I think Best Buy will survive, it's just that the company has to adapt to changing market conditions and I think this is a step in that direction, whether intentional or not.

Most people have their 40-50'' TV's now, but there is also a newer model coming out or a replacement needed for a broken down/worn out item. The video game market is still strong, they still move quality audio and musical equipment that many other retailers don't carry. People are transitioning to tablets and such, but they still aren't capable of doing all the tasks that a laptop does, and newer models are constantly upgrading (my tablet from 4 years ago now serves as doorstop in my bedroom - piece of trash that it is). People are buying those somewhere. The mobile phone market is strong and they need to find a way to get a better hold in that market and get people coming to them rather than going direct to the service provider like Bell or Rogers.

Not saying you're wrong, the market has clearly changed and there isn't room for 2 major electronic retailers on the magnitude of Future Shop and Best Buy. There is still room for 1 though, at least in my opinion.

Marty_Mcfly Mar 28, 2015 5:56 PM

Sephora has their "coming soon" sign up at the old Bootlegger location now.

Arrakis Apr 4, 2015 4:22 PM

RIP Target

Today is the last day to shop at Target. It closes forever today. Sad.
Guess its back to skanky old Walmart.