SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Skyscraper & Highrise Construction (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=103)
-   -   CHICAGO | 1000M (1000 S Michigan) | 805 FT | 73 FLOORS | ON HOLD (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=218947)

akbussey Oct 21, 2019 9:18 PM

Oct 24th still a go?

ChiHi Oct 22, 2019 2:24 PM

They may have been telling the truth on the ground breaking date. The lot was blocked off this morning and some equipment was getting dropped off.

Knightwing Oct 22, 2019 4:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiHi (Post 8725339)
They may have been telling the truth on the ground breaking date. The lot was blocked off this morning and some equipment was getting dropped off.

Were you able to take any pics? Or does anyone have pics?

rgolch Oct 22, 2019 5:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom In Chicago (Post 8724132)
while 1000M is a luxury product in a not-so-luxury neighborhood. . . if this building was in LSE or anywhere north of where it is today it would have already been under construction. . .

. . .

This.

I know we all love beautiful highrises, and additions to the skyline. But why would anyone buy a unit in this building at.... what was it.... $700-800 a square foot, when there are so many options in more desirable locations in the city. There are many new units coming online (as well as units in pre-existing buildings) for sale that also have great views in better areas. I'm rooting for this building, but I have my doubts....

AMWChicago Oct 22, 2019 6:10 PM

At the site today. Very preliminary, but very exciting. Looks like they're portioning off the site and taking measurements. I'm stoked that this one is happening. Really thought it was a long shot. Let's hope it doesn't see the same fate as Waterview.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...587d48a446.jpgIMG_1126 by Andrew W, on Flickr

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...89c2288630.jpgIMG_1125 by Andrew W, on Flickr

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...a1bdf6a61e.jpgIMG_1124 by Andrew W, on Flickr

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...3dec73cc5f.jpgIMG_1123 by Andrew W, on Flickr

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...026b785f0b.jpgIMG_1127 by Andrew W, on Flickr

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...473370d55c.jpgIMG_1122 by Andrew W, on Flickr

kolchak Oct 22, 2019 6:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rgolch (Post 8725601)
This.

I know we all love beautiful highrises, and additions to the skyline. But why would anyone buy a unit in this building at.... what was it.... $700-800 a square foot

But they did. Apparently enough sales to meet the threashold to begin construction...

Tom In Chicago Oct 22, 2019 7:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kolchak (Post 8725742)
But they did. Apparently enough sales to meet the threashold to begin construction...

Right. . . but it took longer than many on this forum felt was normal. . . I suppose that it had everything to do with location. . .

. . .

rgolch Oct 22, 2019 8:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kolchak (Post 8725742)
But they did. Apparently enough sales to meet the threashold to begin construction...

Well... I mean.... did we ever hear that financing was secured. I don't remember seeing that. Maybe I just missed it.

We all know that the supposed upcoming groundbreaking is basically just for show. It doesn't "actually " break ground until they're drilling caissons. When that happens, I'll be more optimistic.

kolchak Oct 22, 2019 8:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom In Chicago (Post 8725780)
Right. . . but it took longer than many on this forum felt was normal. . . I suppose that it had everything to do with location. . .

. . .

Right. It took a very long time. But to "have doubts" as the previous post I was replying to about at least this stage happening seems to be moot at this point, no?

What do you think are the chances that this building won't be completed once real construction begins? Can this project really sit unfinished like Waterview?

AlpacaObsessor Oct 22, 2019 9:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rgolch (Post 8725911)
Well... I mean.... did we ever hear that financing was secured. I don't remember seeing that. Maybe I just missed it.

We all know that the supposed upcoming groundbreaking is basically just for show. It doesn't "actually " break ground until they're drilling caissons. When that happens, I'll be more optimistic.

Guy I used to sit next to during my internship had once consulted on a project that had a groundbreaking ceremony for the pure sake of appearing legitimate. The site then sat empty for about a year without anything happening. Granted, the project was done by some shady developer down in Florida or something, but yeah groundbreaking ceremonies are just that, ceremonies. I'm holding out hope for this one though (:

gebs Oct 22, 2019 9:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rgolch (Post 8725601)
This.

I know we all love beautiful highrises, and additions to the skyline. But why would anyone buy a unit in this building at.... what was it.... $700-800 a square foot, when there are so many options in more desirable locations in the city. There are many new units coming online (as well as units in pre-existing buildings) for sale that also have great views in better areas. I'm rooting for this building, but I have my doubts....

Maybe I'm biased towards the South Loop, but I consider this building to be in a VERY desirable area. True, it's not adjacent to luxury retail or Michelin-star restaurants, but judged on the basic concept of liveability, I would live in it in a heartbeat (if I had the money).

It's Immediately adjacent to the city's largest park, 2 blocks from a Red/Green/Orange line station, ON Michigan Avenue (with a ton of transit options), a block from Roosevelt, which feeds onto the expressways, steps away from Museum Campus and the lakefront trail, and two blocks away from a Jewel and a Trader Joe's.

The South Loop isn't sexy, but it has everything you need to live a very comfortable, walkable city life. This building, NEMA, and Essex are all capitalizing on this fact.

Steely Dan Oct 22, 2019 9:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rgolch (Post 8725911)
We all know that the supposed upcoming groundbreaking is basically just for show. It doesn't "actually " break ground until they're drilling caissons. When that happens, I'll be more optimistic.

yes, the ceremonial groundbreaking apparently happening this thursday is for show.

BUT, Bombardier, one of this forum's most reliable construction insiders, did report that McHugh is the GC and that he heard they are targeting a december construction start.

so....... maybe this one actually will happen?

time will tell.

kolchak Oct 22, 2019 10:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gebs (Post 8726030)
Maybe I'm biased towards the South Loop, but I consider this building to be in a VERY desirable area. True, it's not adjacent to luxury retail or Michelin-star restaurants, but judged on the basic concept of liveability, I would live in it in a heartbeat (if I had the money).

It's Immediately adjacent to the city's largest park, 2 blocks from a Red/Green/Orange line station, ON Michigan Avenue (with a ton of transit options), a block from Roosevelt, which feeds onto the expressways, steps away from Museum Campus and the lakefront trail, and two blocks away from a Jewel and a Trader Joe's.

The South Loop isn't sexy, but it has everything you need to live a very comfortable, walkable city life. This building, NEMA, and Essex are all capitalizing on this fact.

I agree 100%. And the views here will be among the best in the city. Although to be fair for the record Washington, Lincoln, Jackson and Burnham are all bigger than Grant Park. It is, though, certainly the most prominent green space in the city.

SolarWind Oct 23, 2019 12:58 AM

October 22, 2019





Across Michigan Avenue, filming of Aaron Sorkin’s "The Trial of the Chicago 7."


pianowizard Oct 23, 2019 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gebs (Post 8726030)
MI would live in it in a heartbeat (if I had the money).

Same here. The smallest units are actually not that expensive, starting at $259,000 for 305 sqft, and the HOA fees are surprisingly low, only $153 for this 305 sqft unit, though I have heard of new condos that lure buyers with very low HOA fees initially, but after just a couple years the fees start skyrocketing.

Quote:

Originally Posted by kolchak (Post 8726097)
I agree 100%. And the views here will be among the best in the city. Although to be fair for the record Washington, Lincoln, Jackson and Burnham are all bigger than Grant Park. It is, though, certainly the most prominent green space in the city.

I agree 200%, especially regarding the views. IMO this is the most interesting Chicago residential tower that's potentially going up in the near future.

Tom In Chicago Oct 23, 2019 5:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pianowizard (Post 8726508)
The smallest units are actually not that expensive, starting at $259,000 for 305 sqft, and the HOA fees are surprisingly low, only $153 for this 305 sqft unit, though I have heard of new condos that lure buyers with very low HOA fees initially, but after just a couple years the fees start skyrocketing.

305 sq/ft is very small. . . like Manhattan-apartment small. . . unless I'm calculating this wrong price per sq/ft at $850 seems to be on the high end. . .

. .

ChiRise Oct 23, 2019 7:01 PM

Digging up the parking lot and hauling away the rubble at the moment. Also setting up some sort of large tent.

Steely Dan Oct 23, 2019 7:11 PM

^ that counts as "site prep".

Chisouthside Oct 23, 2019 8:25 PM

niceeee

kolchak Oct 23, 2019 8:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolarWind (Post 8726205)
October 22, 2019



Across Michigan Avenue, filming of Aaron Sorkin’s "The Trial of the Chicago 7."


For a second there I thought the CPD were wearing their throwback uniforms for the day


All times are GMT. The time now is 2:35 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.