SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Skyscraper & Highrise Construction (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=103)
-   -   CHICAGO | 1000M (1000 S Michigan) | 805 FT | 73 FLOORS | ON HOLD (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=218947)

gebs Oct 11, 2019 4:14 PM

I believe what you saw were the tents just east of 1000M in Grant Park, staging for Sunday's marathon events.

AMWChicago Oct 11, 2019 5:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rivernorthlurker (Post 8713915)
:haha: This seems like prime meme material. We were hoping for a Jahn signature building years ago, but we'll settle for a tent at this point.

lol

BuildThemTaller Oct 15, 2019 4:02 PM

Saw on the twitterverse that groundbreaking will take place next week (10/21-25)

RedCorsair87 Oct 15, 2019 4:18 PM

Heading to the grocery store now for some unripened bananas. Anyone need some?

ChiHi Oct 15, 2019 5:37 PM

Wabash Side

So does the lot for this one go all the way back to Wabash or is that a separate lot? I've never seen a western street level rendering. Also, does anyone know who owns the lot immediately to the north behind 900 S Michigan? I just always assumed it was one of the universities over there land banking but wasn't sure. Guessing nothing huge would get built there but it just seems crazy that long of a stretch of Wabash is nothing just parking lots.

ChiPlanner Oct 15, 2019 5:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiHi (Post 8717660)
So does the lot for this one go all the way back to Wabash or is that a separate lot? I've never seen a western street level rendering. Also, does anyone know who owns the lot immediately to the north behind 900 S Michigan? I just always assumed it was one of the universities over there land banking but wasn't sure. Guessing nothing huge would get built there but it just seems crazy that long of a stretch of Wabash is nothing just parking lots.

Only rendering I've seen: https://1000southmichigan.com/wp-con...chere_9403.jpg

MorganChi Oct 16, 2019 3:29 PM

https://www.chicagotribune.com/busin...s7u-story.html

RedCorsair87 Oct 16, 2019 3:38 PM

I'm going to hold my breath for the next week...

Long live the South Loop!

LouisVanDerWright Oct 16, 2019 7:11 PM

If this actually gets built this cycle it will officially make this the greatest skyscraper building boom in Chicago history...

Donnie77 Oct 16, 2019 8:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LouisVanDerWright (Post 8718964)
If this actually gets built this cycle it will officially make this the greatest skyscraper building boom in Chicago history...

I'm starting to believe

I've said this before but remember when all the proposals where still on paper and we thought maybe one or two would get built?

Chi-Sky21 Oct 16, 2019 8:33 PM

I honestly really do not like this building. Would MUCH rather get Tribune and 725 randolph get going. Those 2 along with 1 Chicago already going make me very happy. I remember thinking we were lucky to get 1 S halsted going..and THAT was forever ago.

Steely Dan Oct 16, 2019 8:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LouisVanDerWright (Post 8718964)

with 7 buildings over 700' already built or U/C, we're already there by that measure. and BMO and Salesforce will in all likelihood boost that number to 9 soon. if 1000M really does happen this cycle, then that would make it an even 10.

the previous record for the number of 700+ footers built in a single chicago building cycle is 6 (1986-1990 & 2009-2010).

kolchak Oct 16, 2019 11:06 PM

The views from this one are the main selling point. There will be so many units with broad views of the lake and or downtown. Not that easy a site to find where an 800 foot tower can beat this. The upper northwest corner and west apartment views will have a lot of old streets and classic architecture. I would definitely consider living there if I were in the market.

glowrock Oct 17, 2019 12:14 AM

Only one comment is needed with this news:

:banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:

Aaron (Glowrock)

jl224990 Oct 18, 2019 1:11 AM

When I moved to the South Loop in 2002, there was already talk about developing 1000 S Michigan. I even joined the mailing list for any further development news, but nothing had happened. So glad to know it is becoming real.

maru2501 Oct 19, 2019 2:54 PM

premature banaculation!!!!

spyguy Oct 19, 2019 6:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jl224990 (Post 8720632)
When I moved to the South Loop in 2002, there was already talk about developing 1000 S Michigan. I even joined the mailing list for any further development news, but nothing had happened. So glad to know it is becoming real.

I assume you're talking about the prior, blocky tower designed by DeStefano?

Which is why I'm glad to hear this news. While I loved the earlier Jahn design, this is likely the best tower this location will produce. Another cycle and we will probably end up with another box from SCB here.

kolchak Oct 20, 2019 4:52 AM

This would be the 6th 800 + ft tower in this cycle. It would also be the 16th tallest building in Chicago and bump the total number of 800 ft skyscrapers to 19 (incl. under construction.)

MorganChi Oct 20, 2019 4:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kolchak (Post 8722764)
This would be the 6th 800 + ft tower in this cycle. It would also be the 16th tallest building in Chicago and bump the total number of 800 ft skyscrapers to 19 (incl. under construction.)

Let’s hope this one get off the ground. Water view tower was suppose to be promised but what happen with that ? Chicago spire suppose to be the tallest in North America but it’s a hole in the ground. Once the money is secure and the halfway finish then I celebrate.

Tom In Chicago Oct 21, 2019 7:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MorganChi (Post 8722974)
Let’s hope this one get off the ground. Water view tower was suppose to be promised but what happen with that ? Chicago spire suppose to be the tallest in North America but it’s a hole in the ground. Once the money is secure and the halfway finish then I celebrate.

Whether or not this one gets off the ground remains to be seen, but I don't see any similarities with 1000M vs. Waterview or Spire. . . the latter's suffering from inexperienced developers and bad timing while 1000M is a luxury product in a not-so-luxury neighborhood. . . if this building was in LSE or anywhere north of where it is today it would have already been under construction. . .

. . .