SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Proposals (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=361)
-   -   NEW YORK | 45 Broad St | FT | 52 FLOORS | ON HOLD (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=209254)

photoLith Sep 27, 2019 4:42 AM

At least they have a port o potty on site. It's what, about 12 feet tall?

NYguy Sep 27, 2019 10:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CHAPINM1 (Post 8698611)
I'm really anticipating this one! It's interesting to see Lower Manhattan developing in all aspects. The WTC before and now has always dominated the area during it's existence. However; projects like this and others to come will make it 'part of the skyline' but not 'thee skyline' like we were used to. Especially when looking over from the Brooklyn Bridge. So many new buildings including Beekman Place have gone up in the last ten years that almost totally block certain views of the WTC and especially the Woolworth Building. One day it may require a 2,000 foot building to stake any kind of dominance in Lower Manhattan, at least that prospect becomes more and more realistic with each project like this.

I expect that 80 South would challange the WTC more than this one, but yeah, 45 Broad will definitely be noticeable, bringing more of a focal point back towards the financial district classics.

Visionist Sep 27, 2019 1:25 PM

Often I wonder how the twins would have looked on today's skyline (any artists out there feel free to give us all a look!), with Goldman Sachs' building and the several residential near supertalls, especially the Gehry.

Then I look at 90's images and the twins are All Dominating. In a way, it would have been a shame for them to lose that today what with all the taller buildings that have gone up.

Food for thought.

CHAPINM1 Sep 27, 2019 5:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Visionist (Post 8699830)
Often I wonder how the twins would have looked on today's skyline (any artists out there feel free to give us all a look!), with Goldman Sachs' building and the several residential near supertalls, especially the Gehry.

Then I look at 90's images and the twins are All Dominating. In a way, it would have been a shame for them to lose that today what with all the taller buildings that have gone up.

Food for thought.

I was wondering that very exact same thing! To take it a step further, I really wonder if all the new taller buildings would have ever gone up in an alternate timeline. It 'seems' at least from the perspective here that the construction wave really started in Lower Manhattan as an indirect result of 9/11 due to tax breaks, government incentives, ect... all to get businesses to return to the area, initially anyways, in the early years following. One direct example being the Goldman Sachs headquarters. That's really been floating in my mind as well, because it really seems the construction boom really began starting in 2002 with then Mayor Bloomberg wish a push to keep the NYC skyline moving forward in part as a potential response as well. There are other factors at play as well, including economic; however, this 'seems' to be at least in part one of them.

Visionist Sep 27, 2019 8:44 PM

I have a feeling the Goldman Sachs site was initially earmarked for the World Product Center before 9/11 pushed that project back, to the Yards whereupon it was ultimately cancelled.

Would have made sense to have the WTC, WFC and WPC close together.

Chas Potts Sep 28, 2019 1:17 AM

If I was going to build in Manhattan, it would be the at the highest point, the least likely spot to be affected by rising seas. Downtown Manhattan is not that place.

CHAPINM1 Sep 28, 2019 6:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Visionist (Post 8700437)
I have a feeling the Goldman Sachs site was initially earmarked for the World Product Center before 9/11 pushed that project back, to the Yards whereupon it was ultimately cancelled.

Would have made sense to have the WTC, WFC and WPC close together.

Interesting points, it sure seemed though there were a few skyline redefining project proposals throughout the 1990's (New York Stock Exchange Tower); however, none of them came into fruition. Also, during the 1980's and 1990's construction was rather stagnant. The WFC and CitySpire were to only major projects that went up during that time that were skyline changers. In the 1990's I guess one could also include the then Conde Nast Tower (4 Times Square) or even the Trump Tower in the very early 2000's. Overall though it did seem there was little activity from the 1970's (Citygroup Center, WTC, ect) up until the 2000's when the boom was really set in motion.

I wonder though if Bank of America would have built there own tower had they never lost their space at the WTC. An interesting coincidence, Conde Nast moved from Midtown out of their original to the WTC and Bank of America was once at the WTC and moved to Midtown then building their own tower (One Bryant Park). Also interesting that with all that said how both 4 Times Square and One Bryant Park sit right next to each other. Seems like an ongoing game of tug of war between Midtown and Downtown regard to all the different tenants.

photoLith Sep 28, 2019 5:19 PM

If 9/11 hadn't happened I would imagine that NYC would have something around 2000 ft tall by now. I would also imagine that 9/11 stunted skyscraper development in Manhattan for many years. The economy may have been much stronger also up til the current day as the government wouldn't be wasting trillions on pointless never ending wars.

CHAPINM1 Sep 29, 2019 5:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by photoLith (Post 8701102)
If 9/11 hadn't happened I would imagine that NYC would have something around 2000 ft tall by now. I would also imagine that 9/11 stunted skyscraper development in Manhattan for many years. The economy may have been much stronger also up til the current day as the government wouldn't be wasting trillions on pointless never ending wars.

Yeah, could be. Just know that the outcome today seems very different than one could have imagined otherwise after shaking off those very early turbulent years. Just something that goes though my mind often, comparing the alternate skyline timelines and comparing them. ><

Although it's almost a couple years old, this article does a great job shedding some light on a few things. Even back in the 1990's the area was having issues it seems:

https://nypost.com/2017/11/25/how-lo...lf-after-9-11/

chris08876 Oct 29, 2019 12:34 AM

I was checking the CTBUH and they are classifying it as "on hold".

Zapatan Oct 29, 2019 1:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chris08876 (Post 8732019)
I was checking the CTBUH and they are classifying it as "on hold".

No one anywhere: Wow that's really surprising

But really sometimes the CTBUH is a little behind or just wrong though, likely not in this case of course

chris08876 Oct 29, 2019 2:44 AM

The last update via the 45 Broad Construction Update;

SUMMARY
Over the past three weeks, we’ve been surveying and reviewing the site.

WEEKS OF 10/14 + 10/21 + 10/28
We will be coordinating foundation work with contractor, subcontractor and design professionals. There will be no active construction work during this period.

Lots of coordination occurring. :shrug:

This was last updated on 10/14/2019.

chris08876 Oct 29, 2019 3:01 AM

https://aws1.discourse-cdn.com/busin...98a1c2245.jpeg

citybooster Oct 29, 2019 5:27 PM

Great details about the background of this building and why it seems to be progressing so slowly... so much detail to get around but no doubt in the coming year as we start to see tangible progress it will be well worth the wait!

chris08876 Oct 29, 2019 5:30 PM

Yeah I think its going to turn out okay. I think we are just all being impatient. Remember how long 111 W 57th took. But I cant blame folks for being impatient (I'm one of them) because 45 Broad is stunning. Either if the design with the external bracing or not rises, its still stunning in every aspect.

But its definitely assuring if it starts within the next 6 months. Some of us get paranoid thinking about the market outlook when it comes to towers like this considering the shenanigans going on with One Manhattan Square and the LES towers.

I'm hoping its just administrative roadblocks or lag-time as opposed to market related risk mitigation.

Visionist Nov 2, 2019 1:15 PM

In my part of Italy, "pizzarot" is a colloquial term meaning a bumbling simpleton.

Just thought I'd throw that out there.

chris08876 Nov 8, 2019 2:45 PM

Via 45 Broad Update:

WEEKS OF 11/4 + 11/8 + 11/15
We will be coordinating foundation work with contractor, subcontractor and design professionals. There will be no active construction work during this period.

Same stuff as in October.

Zapatan Nov 8, 2019 4:21 PM

I bet 3 years from now it'll say the exact same thing, and the site will look exactly the same

Barbarossa Nov 10, 2019 5:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Visionist (Post 8736976)
In my part of Italy, "pizzarot" is a colloquial term meaning a bumbling simpleton.

Just thought I'd throw that out there.

I think it has more to do with the softening condo market. Banks are more hesitant to lend than in the past few years.

Barney Greengrass Nov 17, 2019 10:14 PM

From a YIMBY comment:

Quote:

After what feels like years of pounding in piles, the site looks exactly like it did before. For all we know the pile pounders plundered Pizzarotti, pocketed their pay and pulled off to Panama, Papua or the pampas of Patagonia.
:haha:

Zapatan Nov 18, 2019 2:04 AM

I think Macklowe should buy this site and build his 1,500+ tower here, or maybe 2WTC since I'm convinced neither will see the sight of day at this point.

It's a shame since this building was just gorgeous (2WTC not so much)

chris08876 Nov 18, 2019 3:25 AM

^^^^

Hell no lol. Lower Manhattan is the aesthetic pinnacle of what is Manhattans skyline. Midtown is nice, but aesthetically, downtown is the image of the city. Can't have the obese 432 Park clone with an axe to the face built there. Would really stand out. Not enough height and mass to block it out.

Zapatan Nov 18, 2019 3:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chris08876 (Post 8751426)
^^^^

Hell no lol. Lower Manhattan is the aesthetic pinnacle of what is Manhattans skyline. Midtown is nice, but aesthetically, downtown is the image of the city. Can't have the obese 432 Park clone with an axe to the face built there. Would really stand out. Not enough height and mass to block it out.

I meant with a better design, ideally.

I think downtown needs something in the 12-1500 foot range to complement the WTC.

NYguy Nov 18, 2019 1:59 PM

I guess we'll have to put this thread to sleep since all we seem to get is ridiculous speculation.

NYguy Jan 23, 2020 7:32 PM

Noticed changes in the Schedule A, now we know why...

https://therealdeal.com/2020/01/23/b...rtall-on-hold/

Quote:

A spokesperson for the developer confirmed that the condominium project is being put on hold due to “market conditions.” It’s not clear when the development team — which no longer includes Pizzarotti — will revive the project. When they do, the tower will be 80 feet shorter than the 1,115-foot-tall project initially pitched to meet Federal Aviation Administration requirements, according to Department of Building filings.

“45 Broad Street remains a top priority for the development team, and we have strong long-term confidence in the project’s viability,” a spokesperson for Madison and Gemdale said. “Due to short-term conditions in the Lower Manhattan market, we have decided to delay on constructing the building in the near future.”

Zapatan Jan 23, 2020 8:17 PM

Quote:

When they do, the tower will be 80 feet shorter than the 1,115-foot-tall project initially pitched to meet Federal Aviation Administration requirements, according to Department of Building filings.
1035 is still not bad downtown, at least it's not canceled. Some drawings showed 1200 feet though, not sure which one is accurate.

Quote:

It’s not clear when the development team — which no longer includes Pizzarotti
Good

NYguy Jan 23, 2020 8:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zapatan (Post 8809475)
1035 is still not bad downtown, at least it's not canceled. Some drawings showed 1200 feet though, not sure which one is accurate.

The 1,115 ft figure was always the main roof. The total roof height was 1,127 ft and the higher number was for the crown. So basically, if it's the same design minus 80 ft, total height will be around that 1,115 ft figure.

chris08876 Jan 23, 2020 9:52 PM

Well at least we know its not being shelved, which is great. When the time comes, the right market conditions, hopefully it will sprout. I think on a tower of this caliber, its worth the wait. But until than, so many things rising to keep us busy.

Site prep is pretty much done, any potential demo complete, so now we wait.

Busy Bee Jan 23, 2020 10:26 PM

Dammit

chris08876 Jan 24, 2020 2:22 PM

This and 80 South Street. Bummer. :(

I'm kind of tired of Midtown getting all the action too! Really an unfortunate event that is a byproduct of the success of the city. The last 4-5 years have been a tremendous period in which the ultra luxury sector boomed.

BadHaj Jan 25, 2020 5:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zapatan (Post 8809475)

Good

My thoughts exactly! Gladstone is one of, if not THE most litigious developers in NYC. I couldn't imagine him wanting to move forward with Pizzarotti given the work they did at One Seaport!

Visionist Jan 26, 2020 12:45 PM

Downtown just can't catch a break.

chris08876 Jan 30, 2020 4:42 AM

So apparently I'm finding out that there was some bs reporting going on and that there is no official proof that the tower will be shorter. Possibly a reporting error for the media.

This tower is indeed on hold, but the height being lower once it resumes construction looks like it might be bs. The FAA expiration on a side note is coming up this June in 2020, so well see if they will reapply for a renewed permit by that time. 1035 ft figure is very questionable.

artspook Jan 31, 2020 7:42 AM

Keep the Faith on this one people . .
this one will happen, & hopefully give downtown a jolt . .
& me, (us), some real spook to absorb . .
curious about what chris said a few posts back about an
" obese 432 Park clone with an axe to the face " image
. . What building are you referencing, Chris ?

chris08876 Jan 31, 2020 1:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by artspook (Post 8816851)
" obese 432 Park clone with an axe to the face " image
. . What building are you referencing, Chris ?

Oh it was "Tower Fifth". The Macklowe tower.

chris08876 May 21, 2020 8:11 PM

I checked the 45 Broad updates, and nothing. Last update was in November 2019.

Tried to dig up any relevant info, but nothing at the moment. No luck with the phone number either for 45 Broad Updates (goes to voicemail) - 45broadstreet@gmail.com | (707) 732-4518.

Still on-hold per CTBUH. No recent filings per NY DOB.

streetscaper Jun 23, 2020 11:50 PM

wow wonder what that means they're doing here

Zapatan Jun 24, 2020 12:36 AM

That sounds like good news? :shrug:

NYguy Jun 24, 2020 12:59 AM

^ Sorry folks, that’s meant for the Spiral.

Zapatan Jun 24, 2020 1:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NYguy (Post 8960783)
^ Sorry folks, that’s meant for the Spiral.

Figures, this starting any time soon seems too good to be true

chris08876 Jun 24, 2020 7:28 PM

Once the ultra-luxury sector has more life in it, this will rise. Risk management per say from the developer. We just gotta wait, thats all. Plenty to handle at the moment.

No updates via the 45 Broad resource as of today.

rgarri4 Oct 8, 2020 7:30 AM

From my 3D model of NYC:

https://images2.imgbox.com/26/42/jW6qqxjJ_o.jpg

https://images2.imgbox.com/c6/94/z9eu7moY_o.jpg

https://images2.imgbox.com/1a/ae/TXFB3orq_o.jpg

NYguy Oct 8, 2020 1:59 PM

^ Nice. It’ll be a while before we see this, but worth the wait.

WibblyWobbly Oct 24, 2020 12:16 PM

If this is what gets built, and it isn't watered down, I'll be amazed and joyous. This is what a timeless design is, this will resist feeling dated

chris08876 Nov 27, 2020 11:37 PM

45 Broad Street Supertall Remains On Hold In Financial District

https://newyorkyimby.com/wp-content/...559474800.jpeg

https://newyorkyimby.com/wp-content/...559482278.jpeg

Quote:

Next up in our Turkey Week tour of stalled projects is 45 Broad Street, a 1,115-foot-tall residential skyscraper planned to become the tallest such structure in the Financial District. Designed by CetraRuddy and developed by Madison Equities and Gemdale Properties, the slender tower is most notable for its Art Deco-style appointments and sloped ornamental crown. Pizzarotti was formerly involved in the development of the project. It was announced earlier this year that 45 Broad Street will also have a slight height reduction of 80 feet to meet Federal Aviation Administration guidelines, according to the city’s Department of Buildings.

All previous construction equipment that was once on site has been removed. The only notable remnant of work that is still present is a row of steel rebar as part of the pilings lining the southern perimeter on the narrow plot. They remain inserted and running parallel with multiple pieces of insulation boards lined up against the blank abutting wall, and mostly buried beneath dirt that hasn’t been excavated. The site sits behind a green construction fence and metal gate along Broad Street, where the sidewalk has been cleared of construction barriers and opened to pedestrians again.

Construction on 45 Broad Street initially started in September 2017, but has encountered financial challenges in addition to an oversaturated real estate market. Nonetheless, if the project is eventually built as designed, its elegant combination of sleek bronze and glass panels will make for a bold addition to the Lower Manhattan skyline. With its modern take on classic architectural themes, it would add nicely to the collection of historic Financial District towers including 40 Wall Street, 70 Pine Street, and 20 Exchange Place.
==================
NYY

chris08876 Dec 4, 2020 8:58 PM

Its been a while... so I checked the official 45 broad update... and none... none at all. Or at least nothing worth screaming to wake up the neighbors in a manic frenzy as you speak in tongues to the mighty skyscraper gods (Barnett and Stern with their apostles, Shop Architects) and sacrifice your cat as a bloodlust offering.... none of that... but... there's this;

Last update covered; WEEKS OF 11/22 + 11/29 + 12/6

" We will be coordinating foundation work with contractor, subcontractor and design professionals. There will be no active construction work during this period. "

Same jargon used a year ago.

Eh... worth checking every few months. I sent an email to the 45 Broad team a few months ago, and nothing from them. So either they are dead or somewhere in the spam folder, next to the testosterone pill ad.

NYguy Dec 5, 2020 1:37 AM

Don't expect anything to be happening on the site for a while.

Zapatan Dec 14, 2020 11:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NYguy (Post 9125425)
Don't expect anything to be happening on the site for a while.

I sure don't, but as long as something does happen in the next couple years I'll be happy.

Does this thing still have a chance?

chris08876 Dec 14, 2020 11:49 PM

Once market conditions improve.

DCReid Feb 17, 2021 1:00 AM

I read in either the NY Times or WSJ that this project has been canceled. Can anyone confirm?